Sequel: Burning the Dragons

Howling at the Sun

The day his sister helped

At the previous night’s dinner, Elia had continually spoken with Tabitha instead of devoting most of her attention to her husband like she usually did. Oberyn had watched on with a calm smile and brushed off most attempts of Cersei trying to make conversation with him. Tabitha was already suspicious of the siblings’ behaviour, and was even more so as she walked to speak with the Queen as instructed by a kingsguard. As she entered the room, she clasped her hands together in front of her abdomen and shuffled across the room to Elia, who had her back turned as she admired a painting on the wall.

“Your Grace,” Tabitha said softly, announcing her presence. Elia turned and then took a few steps forwards, lessening the distance between them as she stared intently at the redhead. Tabitha shifted on her feet, nervous about why she had been summoned and why Elia was so unreadable.

“Tabitha Stark, I have a few important questions for you. I need you to answer honestly,” Elia said and Tabitha gave a nod.

“Of course, Your Grace.”

“You are set to marry Prince Viserys,” Elia began and Tabitha uncontrollably winced. “Why do you spend so much time with my brother instead of Viserys?”

“I- I enjoy his company,” Tabitha stuttered, causing Elia to narrow her eyes.

“There are no intentions of diplomacy between the North and Dorne then?” she questioned and Tabitha inhaled sharply, wondering if Cersei had mentioned that to Elia.

“We have not discussed that, no.”

“Then why are you spending so much time with him instead of your betrothed?” Elia demanded in a louder voice, almost making Tabitha jump from shock of her urgency.

“I- I-” Tabitha stuttered, panicking as she didn’t know what to reply with.

“Why? Is it because you love Oberyn?” Elia shouted and Tabitha froze, her lips parting slightly. “Do you love Oberyn?” As Elia repeated the question, Tabitha sighed.

“Yes,” she whispered, unable to withstand any more of the Queen’s surprise interrogation. She had been raised to not lie, and it felt good to confess her feelings.

“Why?” Elia asked after a short pause. “Is this just a way for you to try to not marry Viserys? Is my brother simply a better option for you?”

“No! It’s not-” Tabitha started anxiously, pausing to calm herself and lower her voice. “Your Grace… He is so kind to me. Oberyn treats me with such respect and I appreciate how open he is. He is truly a good man, and I want to be with a good man.”

“Many high Lords and Ladies in Westeros do not get their wishes when it comes to marriage,” Elia pointed out and Tabitha lowered her head.

“I know, but I would like to think that an exception could be made for love,” she said quietly. “Oberyn once told me that when it comes to love, the Dornish don’t pick sides, that what happens, happens. I believe that something between us has just… happened, and I want more than anything to pursue that with him. I would make your brother happy, I promise it, Your Grace.” After maintaining a stare to deduce whether or not Tabitha was telling the truth, Elia’s harsh expression broke into a softer smile as she crossed her arms.

“You should be careful about what you say. Not everyone can be trusted to hear such things,” she remarked and Tabitha’s eyes widened, fearing the worst.

“You are lucky that we can be trusted,” a familiar voice said from behind Tabitha and she spun on her heels. Leaning against the wall with his arms folded, close to the very door that she had entered through, was Oberyn.

“How long…” Tabitha trailed off and Oberyn grinned as he pushed himself off the wall.

“The whole time,” he replied with a shrug, joining her side and taking her hand. “Elia, will you convince Rhaegar to change his mind?” Tabitha looked back and forth between the two siblings, stunned as she understood that they had planned the meeting.

“I will,” Elia agreed with a nod. “I thought it was cruel of him to wed you to Viserys. He wanted to punish your brother for joining Robert Baratheon’s side, and thought it would be best if you married someone from the family who killed your father and brother. My dearest sympathies for the hideous crime.”

“Thank you,” Tabitha said with a weak appreciative smile.

“I will tell him that it would be a better punishment to have Cersei marry a Targaryen, since her twin murdered Aerys. I am certain that he will like that idea,” Elia explained. “I want nothing more than for my brother to be happy. It is the least that can happen for our family, now that Doran has fallen out of love and I am not happy with my marriage either.” Tabitha frowned with bewilderment as she had witnessed the King and Queen appearing merry with their marriage throughout dinners.

“You and Rhaegar…” she trailed off and Elia shook her head.

“Ever since he kidnapped your sister, things have not been the same,” she said with a heavy heart. “Perhaps that is another reason why he wanted you here and married to Viserys; you look like her.”

“After the wedding, we must return to Dorne,” Oberyn spoke up with an urgent tone and Elia nodded her agreement.

“I don’t trust Rhaegar’s plans,” she added and Tabitha tightened her grip on Oberyn’s hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
A quick thanks to castiel's vessel for the comment and those who have rec'ed this story! It means a lot to me :) Do you think Rhaegar will agree to the new set of marriages?

Don't forget to check out Lady Cobra (Oberyn/OC one-shot) if you haven't already!