Sequel: Burning the Dragons

Howling at the Sun

The day his plan succeeded

Tabitha entered the throne room, her nervous stomach making her feel as if she was about to vomit her lunch up. Rhaegar sat proudly on his throne and Elia stood by his side, a smile briefly crossing her face as she met eyes with Tabitha. Viserys was standing before the throne, his hands linked behind his back, and a puzzled expression on his face as he watched Tabitha walking towards him, followed closely by Cersei.

“Your Grace,” Tabitha said as she came to a stop at a safe distance next to Viserys, Cersei repeating the words as she joined the line on Tabitha’s left. Just as Rhaegar opened his mouth to speak, Oberyn opened the door that led to the council chambers and strode down the steps to take his place next to Cersei, also addressing the King but with less enthusiasm and respect than the others had.

“I have gathered you four here today because there has been a change regarding your weddings,” Rhaegar announced and Tabitha’s eyes widened with surprise. Elia had managed to convince him after all. She sensed Cersei stiffening next to her, and Viserys’ forehead creased even more. “It is a minor change, nothing to be greatly concerned about, really. All I am doing is switching the ladies. We will still be a family, living here and enjoying each other’s company, so no need to fret.”

“Why, brother? Why would you change this?” Viserys exclaimed and Tabitha began to feel even more anxious about the situation.

“Well, we cannot have the blood in Lady Stark’s hair taint the pure white of the Targaryen’s, so you can marry a woman with fair hair,” Rhaegar began before looking sternly at Cersei. “Besides, her twin killed our father. The Stark’s participation in the rebellion is not as severe as how Jaime Lannister swore to protect our father, and instead stabbed him in the back. There is nothing more suiting than having his twin sister marry a Targaryen and birth children that will continue on our legacy instead of theirs.” With a smirk, Rhaegar looked back at his brother and saw that he too was starting to grin, seeing things fall into place. Tabitha turned to her left and saw rage boiling behind Cersei’s eyes, even though she was keeping a relatively calm expression on her face. Behind her, Tabitha spotted Oberyn doing his best to prevent a smile from crossing his lips.

“Your Grace, if I may speak,” Cersei said, her voice wavering from her annoyance at the situation.

“Go ahead.”

“I have already spent a week with Prince Oberyn and know him rather well. Lady Tabitha has done the same with Prince Viserys. I feel as though it would be a shame to break those already formed bonds,” she explained smoothly and Tabitha clasped her hands together, hoping that Rhaegar would not have his mind changed once again.

“Lady Tabitha. Would you like to marry Prince Oberyn?” Rhaegar questioned and Tabitha hesitated.

“Of course, Your Grace,” she replied and Rhaegar gave a shrug.

“Well, Lady Lannister, it appears as though you both wish to marry Oberyn. I will be the tie breaker and rule that Lady Stark will wed him, not you. And I will not discuss this for any longer; my decision is final. Is that understood?” Rhaegar boomed, his voice bouncing off the pillars and walls.

“Yes, Your Grace,” Cersei mumbled with disappointment she could no longer hide.

“Well go on then. Spend time with Viserys before you are married, as that is seemingly important to you,” Rhaegar said with a smirk and Cersei lowered her head before shuffling past Tabitha to Viserys’ side. Tabitha watched Cersei’s displeasure for a few moments before turning to face Oberyn. He offered his elbow and she linked her arm around it, allowing him to lead her away for a deep conversation over a few glasses of wine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much to castiel's vessel, carolskarsgard, and Elephant PJs for the comments - it means so much to me, please keep 'em coming! It's day 12 so we're getting close to the wedding! Any thoughts on how you want that to go down, and what might happen beforehand?