Sequel: Burning the Dragons

Howling at the Sun

The day she got cold feet

The air blew gently up from Blackwater Bay and tendrils of Tabitha’s hair swayed against her purple dress. She had finished praying to the Old Gods and was now admiring the view of the sea, one that she had rarely seen in her life as she had spent most of her time in Winterfell or other Northern towns away from the ocean. Even the air had a completely different smell to it, and though she appreciated the sights and aromas and new experiences of King’s Landing, it was still nothing compared to the comfort of her home in Winterfell. She tried to not think of how much she missed Eddard and his wife Catelyn, and she tried to not think about how the North had suffered a brutal defeat that ended the rebellion. But Tabitha couldn’t help but wonder what Eddard would think about her new betrothed. Would he congratulate her on finding love? Or would he be disappointed that she had essentially rebelled against the King’s wishes? A part of her felt as though he would even have some pride for the scheming she had unintentionally done. Nonetheless, Eddard would be glad that she was no longer going to wed a Targaryen, as it was impossible that they could ever be forgiven for causing the deaths of three Starks.

“Lady Tabitha,” a voice said from behind her and she turned, only to be disappointed to see Viserys approaching her.

“My Prince,” she addressed him with a false smile, hesitating as he joined her side and rested his hands on the stone wall. She stood in awkward silence as Viserys gazed out at the bay, eyes slightly squinted, and a rather blank expression on his pale face.

“I must ask you something,” he began quietly. “Did you ever want to marry me?” His words caught Tabitha off guard and her jaw fell slightly, and Viserys turned to see her surprised face.

“Did you ever want to marry me?” she countered.

“No.”

“Neither did I,” Tabitha agreed.

“Did you have something to do with my brother’s change of heart?” he questioned, his stare making her start to fidget.

“What makes you think that I have that much influence over the King?” Tabitha answered after a short pause of trying to find the right words in her mind. “If anything, I should ask you that question; you are his brother.”

“I only counselled him before he sent the demands to your brother. I had nothing to do with him changing his mind,” Viserys said in such a genuine tone it shocked Tabitha. “I would not be angered if you confessed to me that you played a role in his decision. We were not well suited for each other, and I would not be surprised to hear that you had gone to such lengths to avoid wedding me.” Tabitha hesitated as she tried to deduce whether or not Viserys was aware of her active participation or not. For all she knew, a wall of rage was hiding behind his calm exterior.

“I did not ask your brother to wed Prince Oberyn,” Tabitha replied, not lying but cleverly avoiding the truth.

“I wonder then if it is somehow Oberyn’s plan.”

“What makes you think that?” Tabitha immediately asked, mentally kicking herself afterwards for her urgent tone.

“The Martells are devious. I fear that they are planning something, and for some reason they require you,” Viserys said in a quieter voice. “Once he takes you away to Dorne, no one can help you. I would be cautious with him if I were you.” And with that warning he stepped away from the ledge and disappeared into the gardens. An unsettling sense of fear settled in the pits of Tabitha’s gut and she found herself questioning the honesty of Oberyn’s actions.
♠ ♠ ♠
As always, a huge thank you to Kayleigh, Stevie and Alice for the comments! What do you think - Viserys (and Cersei?) are messing with Tabitha, or is there truth to his warning?