Sequel: Burning the Dragons

Howling at the Sun

The day she rode with him

As Tabitha was being dressed by her handmaiden, a knock resounded from the door. The handmaiden left Tabitha’s side to open the door, and after a few moments of quiet mumbling, returned with a smile on her face.

“That was your betrothed, my dear,” the older woman said. “He wants you to dress for horse riding today. You are to leave within the hour.”

“But- I need to prepare for tomorrow! I cannot go out riding!” Tabitha complained and a sly grin twisted its way onto the handmaiden’s lips.

“I think it would be wise to go on the relaxing ride. He clearly wants to impress you and treat you before the big day,” she explained, and after a moment to consider it, Tabitha reluctantly agreed. The handmaiden selected a different outfit for the day and brought Tabitha’s hair back into a simple plait. After instructions to enjoy her day out, the handmaiden left Tabitha at the entrance of the royal stables. She hesitantly wandered inside, finding Oberyn a few stalls down petting the nose of a black steed.

“My Lady,” he grinned as he bowed graciously.

“My Prince,” she smiled back with a curtsey, giggling at the formalities that now seemed so unnecessary. “Where are we going?”

“It is a surprise. Come, your horse is already outside,” Oberyn said as he slid open the stall’s door. He led his own horse out of the stables and then mounted it with ease as Tabitha approached the only horse that was saddled but without a rider. Others surrounded them, Martell guards atop the plainly dark brown horses, and Tabitha’s caramel horse stood out like a sore thumb. With ease, she mounted the mare and then turned the horse to follow Oberyn and his guards out of the city. They followed the road towards Rosby, keeping the bay always in sight, and the ride ended shortly after an hour had passed. Oberyn had ordered his company to stop atop a sunny cliffside that overlooked the bay and was littered with a range of flowers, all varying shades of purple. After he had dismounted, he offered a hand to Tabitha, who politely accepted the offer even though she didn’t need any help getting off her horse. A pair of guards led the horses away from the edge of the cliff and into the trees for shade. Another Dornish guard brought forth a satchel for Oberyn, and then hurried away to keep lookout with the others and give the couple privacy.

“Come, my Lady,” Oberyn said as he clasped her hand, gently pulling her towards the lookout point.

“This can’t be safe,” Tabitha remarked, hesitating as they approached the sheer drop.

“I thought I told you to live life a bit more and indulge yourself?”

“Indulge in fear?” she questioned and Oberyn chuckled.

“You won’t even feel scared after a minute has passed, I promise,” he said but Tabitha didn’t budge. “I won’t let you fall. I will keep you safe.” With his promises, she found the courage to walk forwards and sit on the cliff’s edge with Oberyn, dangling their legs far above waves that lapped against jagged rocks. He set the satchel down between them and opened it, revealing a selection of foods for their lunch. They picked at it in silence for a few minutes until Tabitha could no longer dismiss her distraction.

“Oberyn? May I ask you something?”

“Of course.”

“Why do you want to marry me?” At Oberyn’s silence, Tabitha glanced up and saw his puzzled expression.

“Why are you asking me that again? Was I not clear the last time?” he wondered and Tabitha blushed slightly as she recalled his poetic romance.

“No, it’s just- Is there any other reason? Such as… politics? Or-”

“Someone put that in your mind, didn’t they? Who was it? Cersei?” Oberyn questioned with a frown.

“No!” Tabitha exclaimed unconvincingly, uncertain about whether or not she should mention Viserys. “Can you please just answer?”

“There are politics involved in every marriage in Westeros. I’m sure you are well aware that the point of the majority of marriages is to satisfy political means,” Oberyn began and Tabitha felt her mood sinking as she feared that he had indeed deceived her. “We are from Great Houses, so of course there are political consequences. But I promise you that I was not thinking of them when I fell in love with you.” Tabitha stared long and hard into Oberyn’s soft, dark brown eyes until she finally felt convinced of his honesty.

“I’m sorry,” she sighed, diverting her eyes across to the bay. “Viserys approached me yesterday, and I’ve been pondering your intentions ever since.” Oberyn smiled as he understood her fear and placed his hand atop hers.

“You should not listen to him. He is scorned and angry because he lost a wonderful bride,” he dismissed the issue before reaching into his pocket and revealing a folded piece of parchment. “Here, my wolf, I wrote you a poem.” Oberyn’s sweet distraction succeeded and the remainder of their last day as unwed adults was filled with joy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another huge thanks to Kayleigh, Stevie, Alice, and bellybear98 for your comments! :) It's so tempting to spill all the secrets, but instead I've given you another chapter so you can ponder Oberyn's (apparent) side to the story. Let me know what you think before I post the next chapter, which is the big event you've all been waiting for!

And sorry for the slight delay in updating this - the next update won't be on schedule either because I'm going on a short holiday. But it will come, so stay subscribed and please leave comments to encourage me to continue to tell their story!