Sequel: Burning the Dragons

Howling at the Sun

The day she arrived

With wide eyes, Tabitha looked around herself as she rode into King’s Landing. The city was a completely different view from the snowy, stoney castle of Winterfell, and it was making her feel even more homesick.

“Tabitha?” Eddard’s voice snapped her out of her thoughts and she accepted his hand, hopping off her horse and straightening her dress. She was here to save the North by marriage, and that was all she would do. It was her duty as a Lady of Winterfell, and she liked to think that she was honourable just like the rest of her family. Alongside a few Stark bannermen and two Kingsguards, the two Starks were led into the throne room. Rhaegar sat proudly on the Iron Throne and to his left stood Elia, a young girl by her side and a toddler cradled in her arms. Two other Targaryens were situated next to the Queen, their silver hair distinguishing them easily from the dark Dornishmen that stood on Rhaegar’s right.

“Lord Eddard Stark and Lady Tabitha Stark, welcome to King’s Landing!” Rhaegar’s voice boomed throughout the throne room. The two stopped before the steps to the throne and bowed their heads.

“Your Grace,” they said in unison before looking back up. Eddard kept his stare strong and focused on the King, whereas Tabitha’s blue eyes wandered to her right to look at the only other white haired man in the room. Viserys was already eyeing her up with an unsettling smirk on lips.

“You will be pleased to hear that Lord Tywin Lannister has also accepted my proposal. Cersei Lannister is on her way to King’s Landing, though I appreciate how you travelled farther and arrived sooner,” Rhaegar informed the two, showing a hint of disgust at the Lannister’s sign of disrespect. “The two ceremonies will be held on the same day. Two weeks should be sufficient time to plan. Will you attend, Lord Eddard?” Eddard’s jaw locked briefly before he took in a calming breath.

“Unfortunately, Your Grace, Winterfell needs me. I must return to the North,” he replied and Tabitha gripped her hands together. On their journey here, Eddard had stated that he would try to return to their home and take care of the North after their great defeat. Tabitha knew better and saw it as a guilty excuse to not witness her horrendous wedding.

“Very well. I will send some Targaryen soldiers back with you,” Rhaegar said and Tabitha noticed her brother tensing. He wouldn’t want Targaryen men spying on his every move, but she was certain that he would understand the King’s hesitation to allow him to regroup in the North. “If you need to leave now, I can have a handmaiden show Lady Tabitha to her chambers where she can rest from her travels.”

“Thank you, Your Grace,” Eddard said with a nod of his head, glad that he was dismissed. Even though he loved his sister dearly, he wanted to stay for the shortest amount of time possible. He turned to face Tabitha and saw the pain brewing in her eyes and threatening to spill over in tears. They had said their goodbyes the previous night as to not waste the King’s time, but they still did not want to part ways. Eddard reached out and embraced her tightly, pressing her almost uncomfortably against his armour as he rested his head down on her shoulder. “Be strong. And visit me in the winter. Send a raven first so Benjen can come down.” He kissed her cheek and pulled away, turning his back and leaving the throne room with his guards before anyone from the royal families saw his dismay at his sister’s betrothal.

“Lady Tabitha, this way please,” a soft woman’s voice spoke, stealing Tabitha’s attention from her retreating brother’s back. She allowed herself to be mindlessly led away, trying to not let the stares from near the throne bother her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks so much to carolskarsgard and Queen In The North for the comments! Tabitha will officially meet Oberyn in the next chapter, and then the drama can begin...