Sequel: Burning the Dragons

Howling at the Sun

The day she saw him dance

Though Tabitha was quickly lost yesterday morning in the Red Keep, she was more than happy to take Oberyn’s advice and aimlessly wander in its gardens on such a sunny day. A pair of guards had stopped her on her way out, but she had insisted on going alone and they had reluctantly obliged. Tired of being shaded by large trees, Tabitha took a left turn and passed through a short passageway lined by hedges and ended up in a clearing. The ground was lined by colourful tiles and a small stone wall created a balcony that overlooked part of Blackwater Bay. Suddenly there was a movement to her right and her head flicked around as her heart jolted from fright. Tabitha immediately relaxed as she recognised the figure as Oberyn. His eyes were closed and he seemed to be graciously dancing around the patio while slowly twirling his spear around his body in almost rhythmic movements. Tabitha considered leaving him to his peaceful alone time, but remained for a few moments as she watched him come closer. Oberyn then unexpectedly stopped and opened his eyes, immediately spotting Tabitha.

“Lady Tabitha…” he stammered with surprise.

“Prince Oberyn, I was just-”

“Watching my spear dance and you did not want to interrupt,” Oberyn finished for her, not wanting to hear a fabricated excuse. Tabitha lowered her head slightly, unsure of what to say. “Did you like it?” Tabitha hesitated and considered whether or not she should sincerely fawn over the actions he was performing.

“I did,” she admitted. “I have never seen technique like that before. Are spears common in Dorne?” Oberyn smiled and looked down at his spear before tilting it vertically and resting the bottom on the ground. The blade stood taller than his head, glistening in the warm sun.

“Yes, they are. We even play with them as children. Now all of the warriors in Westeros know me for my skills with a spear,” he explained before glancing off to his right. “Well, that or my knowledge of poisons. Or even my sexual endeavours. Does not matter; they are all good talents to possess.”

“You Dornish lead very interesting lives,” Tabitha remarked, intending it as a compliment rather than an insult. Her secluded life in the North seemed dull in comparison to Oberyn mastering many areas of his life in a similar amount of time.

“And you Northerners must lead very cold ones. Is that why you are not cold in that dress, even though the breeze from the sea is chilly today?” he questioned and Tabitha glanced down. Her dress had been provided by the royal family, and had a bodice of brown and a skirt of olive. The plunging neckline was unlike anything she had ever worn before, and the material was so thin that Tabitha could never have worn it in the North, but it was well-suited for the warmer climate of King’s Landing.

“I am used to snow, even in the summertime. I am very warm at the moment,” she smiled as she looked him over. Oberyn was wearing a mustard yellow tunic with maroon suns embroidered along many of the hems. Judging by the way the material fell heavily from his contours rather than slinking over curves like her dress did, his material was thicker and warmer. “Are you not hot in your clothes?” Oberyn chuckled at her playful tone.

“Believe me, this is cold compared to Sunspear. You would probably faint from the heat if you travelled there.”

“And you would probably freeze in Winterfell on your quest for redheads,” Tabitha replied with a grin as equally wide as his. He was the nicest person she had met so far, and she hoped that their developing friendship would help lessen the pain of her future marriage. After having spent yesterday afternoon listening to Viserys boast non-stop about his impressive family lineage, it was a nice change to be joking around.

“I don’t need to go North. I have already found a redhead here,” Oberyn pointed out, his voice dropping to a huskier tone that caused Tabitha’s pale cheeks to turn pink.

“You should not say such things.”

“Why not? I like to speak my mind.”

“Because I am not betrothed to you, and you have a rich, beautiful woman travelling here to marry you,” Tabitha explained.

“I hear she’s a rude bitch,” Oberyn replied, taking her aback. “I won’t marry someone like that.”

“But- the King!”

“I know, but the Queen, my sister, will just have to convince him otherwise. And us Dornish are very good when it comes to convincing people,” Oberyn shrugged as he started to twirl his spear effortlessly between his fingers. “Do you know how I feel at all? Do you want to marry for love or for duty?” Tabitha hesitated as they locked eyes and she felt as though she could trust him.

“Love, of course. But I don’t have any power, unlike you, to get me out of this dutiful marriage,” she answered in a hushed and depressed voice.

“Well fear not, Lady Tabitha. Life has a way of working itself out,” Oberyn said, offering hope instead of promising to stop the marriage like Tabitha had anticipated. She gave a weak smile to him before she diverted her saddened gaze out to the bay, wondering if there was any way that she could either accept her upcoming wedding or get herself out of the deal.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks so much to Queen In The North and With_a_freaking_y for the comments on the last update! I hope you all enjoy reading this one! Let me know in the comments what you think! :)