Status: COMPLETE. If you like this, maybe come read some of my other stuff? I don't bite. :)

This Should Feel Something Like Fire.

The House That Doubt Built.

Kellin's POV
Being stuck in my cage, there were no windows and left me no way of knowing what time it was unless I asked. I spent the time after Austin left dozing off. It was a better idea than trying to move around. It would just hurt my legs and I knew it would indirectly hurt Vic too.
I was in the middle of falling asleep again for the fifth time when the loud clomping of boots was heard coming down the stairs. I knew it was Austin, but he still terrified me. He could decide to kill me at anytime. He probably had a gun like Alan and would shoot me in a second.
I jumped as the metal cage clanked open and winced from staying in the same position for too long. Both men had changed since I last saw them. They were dressed in black khakis and loose black t-shirts, black boots tying the outfits together. Austin was holding more bandages and rubbing alcohol. "How are you doing?" He asked, concern evident in his voice.
"Why do you care?" I snarled. Maybe Austin personally didn't do anything to me, but he's still part of the reason I'm stuck in here.
Austin acted like he didn't hear me and walked into my cage, carefully approaching me as if I'll attack him if he moves too fast. "You should probably clean your wounds again soon. Don't want them to get infected."
"And I ask again, why do you give a shit?" My voice is still harsh, and somewhere inside I know I'm being extremely rude, but I can't find it in me to care. They took me away from Vic and will kill us both.
Austin sighed and Alan groaned, exchanging looks. "Because...we're on your side here." Alan finally spoke up. I laughed in their faces.
"Right, sure you are. If you're on my side, then why am I still stuck in this damn cage? Wouldn't you have gotten me out of here by now? I'm not that stupid. Nice try."
"Really. We're being totally serious right now. They would kill us if we left right now."
"And they're going to kill me anyways, so what the hell does it matter?"
"Would you just shut up and let him talk?!" Austin cut in. I was majorly pissed off, but judging by the look on his face Austin's patience was wearing thin and I knew he could take me down even without the gun because I couldn't even move, let alone put up a good fight.
Crossing my arms, I nodded. "You've got five minutes."
Alan nodded back in agreement. "That's all I need. Anyways, Austin and I are part of this group. We don't really have a name, but what we do is protect your kind from the Resistance; we make sure they don't kill you. We'll be fighting them off as long as possible, but our group is so much smaller than the Resistance. If we were to make a run for it, we wouldn't make it ten miles before they found us. I'm sorry, I know this is a lot to take in, but it's all true. You need to trust us; we can get you out of here alive."
Both guys looked at me expectantly. It seemed as if I had no choice but to join. I didn't like the idea of trusting these people I barely know, but it seemed to be the only opportunity I had at possibly escaping and saving Vic's life and my own. I was going to die if I didn't make a move to escape soon. It's amazing how much you'll risk your life when you already know you're going to die.
"I'm in." Austin and Alan grinned at me, and Austin pulled out some papers from a black bag on his back I hadn't noticed before and began to lay them out around my cage.
"Okay, so here's the plan..."

~~~~~
Vic's POV
The gentle rumble of driving over rocky roads shook me awake. After being up half the night in burning pain, presumably from Kellin, I finally had gotten a few hours of sleep when we left early the next morning. Once again, Jack and Alex convinced my mom that we were going into "hiding" until this whole drama was over.
I had been laying on Mike, who was intently reading on his phone, totally ignorant that I had woke up. His face was splotchy, red, and wet from crying. He must have been crying the whole night. My stomach dropped and I suddenly felt very nauseous. I hated that I was putting my family through this and that I couldn't change a damn thing about this because it wasn't really my fault; it was in my genes. Some would probably call it fate.
From the front seat, someone coughed loudly. I turned my eyes, careful not to move any other part of my body, and caught Alex's eyes in the rear view window. They were intense, sad, determined. "We need to talk." He said, his voice filling the otherwise silent car and alerting Jack and Mike to my awakening. I simply nodded back.
"Well, hello Sleeping Beauty! Glad you finally decided to join us!" Jack shouted, trying to lighten the mood. I rolled my eyes playfully and Alex gave his partner a goofy smile. You could feel the love and adoration between the two men. I hoped Kellin and I could be that way someday.
Mike watched the three of us interact quietly. Although he had basically stopped crying, he still trembled beside me. My heart broke for him and I was abruptly angry and myself and Kellin for making Mike feel like this. In the cramped backseat of Alex's car I put my good arm around the seat behind Mike and pulled him close so he was leaning on me now. "I'm sorry, Mikey. So fucking sorry for putting you through this. If there was anything I could do to stop this from happening, you know I would in a heartbeat."
"You're talking like Kellin's already dead." He whispered hoarsely. You could tell he hadn't spoken in awhile. What made it even worse was his tone of voice. It was dead, hopeless. Even though there was still a chance we could get Kellin back alive, Mike didn't seem to believe we would. I couldn't stand to see him stuck in this depression, mourning me like I wasn't holding him in my arm with a beating heart, very much alive.
"And you're acting like Kellin's already dead. It's killing me." I told him honestly.
"I'm sorry."
"'S okay. I understand why, but let's not think about me dying right now, okay?"
He nodded, agreeing that it wouldn't help our problem. "I'm gonna sleep, okay?"
"Yeah, of course." Mike curled up closer to me and closed his eyes. He breathing evened out almost immediately and five minutes later he was lightly snoring.
Jack and Alex had ignored us while we were having our conversation, trying to give us as much privacy as the little car could give us, but now they were both glancing back at me, giving me sympathetic looks. Looking ahead of me, I saw the clock reading 7:34. Judging by the sky, it was 7:34 at night. I had slept for nearly fifteen hours! "Why didn't you guys wake me up earlier?"
"You didn't need to be up; there was literally nothing for you to even do if you were awake. And I know you're probably not tired at all, but in about an hour we're going to be stopping at a hotel to spend the night at. The rest of us are pretty wiped out."
"Where are we even going? How are we going to find him?"
"Don't worry about it, man. I've got my connections."
"Connections?"
Jack started to explain so Alex could focus on driving. "You know how we told you about the Resistance?" I nodded and he continued. "Well, there's a small group that have infiltrated the Resistance, sort of an anti-Resistance, per say. Two of them have Kellin under protection right now and they're giving us updates when anything happens. Kellin's okay for now, we've got two days until they kill him."
"Why are they waiting so long?"
"We don't know. We're all a little worried about that. We just have to be safe when we get there."
"How far away are we?"
"About another half-day's drive. We'll make it there a day early and get him out of there. We'll attack around this time tomorrow. They'd expect us to attack late at night, and by doing it around this time they'll be at dinner and have their guard down." I breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that by tomorrow night, I'll have Kellin safely in my arms. My heart started pounding at the near thought of that.
"Thank god." A smile was on my face until another thought popped into my mind. "Why haven't you told Mike this? He's so worried."
They shared a look of concern. "We did tell him, but he's not convinced that this'll turn out." Alex said. The confusion must have been evident on my face, as they both shrugged and gave me identical looks of confusion and worry.
The next 45 minutes were spent in silence as Jack dozed off and Alex focused on driving. I was stuck in my own world as I watched my brother sleep. He was starting to scare me. What was he so worried about? Why was he so sad? How could I help him?
We stopped at a small motel and got a room. "Thank goodness," Jack complained. "My butt is numb." It was unanimously decided that Alex and Jack would share a bed, obviously, and Mike and I were small enough that it would be no problem for us to share a bed. We didn't even bother to bring in anything except our toothbrushes as we knew we wouldn't be here long enough to benefit from bringing anything else in.
After driving all day, stopping only for short bathroom breaks on the side of the road, we were all starving. "I think we passed a chinese restaurant ten minutes ago. Mike, you wanna come with me and get some food?" Jack asked. Alex was staring at me with that intense look again. We need to talk. He must've been trying to get me alone and Jack was distracting Mike for him.
"Uhh...yeah, I guess..." Mike agreed, starting to catch on to their suspicious behavior. Alex handed Jack a fifty, we told them what we wanted, and within five minutes Jack and Mike were pulling out of the hotel, saying they would be back in half an hour.
I stretched out on my bed, stiff from sitting in the same position all day. Alex was watching me with his arms crossed. "Okay, you wanted to talk, so start talking." I said over a yawn.
Alex took a deep breath and sighed before speaking. "Vic, to your knowledge, has Mike ever gone through depression?" Shock filled my mind. Why would he ask me that? Mike has always been a happy carefree guy. Well, outside of the house, at least. At home, he was quiet and hidden, an isolationist. The more I thought about it, the more I started realizing he would fit the illness to a tee. The way his eyes were dull and his voice emotionless, how he seemed to start avoiding me more often and how he would stay quiet instead of volunteering information like he used to. He was tired all the time and he just didn't try at anything anymore.
"He's never been diagnosed with anything...why?" I responded slowly.
"Because...there's fresh cuts and burn marks all over his arms."