Status: Active- with muse

Flip

Sweetie, We're All Just Wild Things Here

It turned out the wolves were not all that interested in Mila's presence; they seemed to tolerate it, though none of them seemed thrilled that they were being essentially babysat by a human. They made no effort to converse with her and the petite woman couldn't help but feel she'd done something wrong. They chattered about small things trouble in other packs, new wolves being born, wolves being put down, all the while their eyes flicking to her every once in awhile as if she had turned to smoke and simply dissipated around the small room. The nurse was beginning to think that maybe she should leave. The silence got to be a little too much for her, it was already unnerving for Mila to be around so many wolves.

It was only about an hour ago that Mila was convinced that all wolves were feral and out to eat and destroy humanity; like the Government suggested. To find an alpha like Patrick was definitely a shock and called into question quite a few things that Mila beforehand thought to be truth. The blonde man was soft-spoken and attentive; taking obvious care to make sure that Mila was as comfortable as she could around him. Patrick was helpful and seemed to be well-liked; really he was the opposite of the monsters the Government told their civilians about. The small chatter had died and everyone withered in silent, obvious discomfort at the tension that seemed to wrap it's invisible tendrils about the room; causing the air to be constricting and warm. Seconds turned into minutes and the woman just stood there, unsure of when her boss would come back or she could at least go, so she stood there in utter silence avoiding the gazes that shifted to her; scrutinizing her with an air she wasn't sure she liked.

The wolves in front of her now, the three men, seemed to be more of a threat than the ones she’d met. They were anxious, and an anxious wolf could be a dangerous wolf. After all they were predators and equipped with claws and teeth to protect themselves with; and while Patrick may be laid back, it seemed his pack mates were not. Gears turned in Mila’s mind of what to do and though with a moment of regret that if Grent hadn’t told her to stay with Patrick she would have bailed a long time ago. No one had moved, not a muscle nor foot since the small talk between the four died down; and the curvy raven haired woman glanced behind her to seek Patrick out. He was the most familiar, the one that had managed to calm her down in his cell, the one who by far appeared to like her the most; and some reason she needed the reassurance and comfort of still having him there. Perhaps she needed to make sure the alpha hadn't left her because as of now it felt like he was the only thing that could protect her should any or all of the wolves attack. As her deep, light green eyes fell on him she felt herself relax slightly. The blonde had his hands in the pocket of his Summick issued white jumper and his orbs, beautiful pools of changeling color, narrowed ever so slightly at the curly brown haired man.

Should he feel that Mila was in danger, he'd surely not have his hands in his pocket merely sending looks; he'd probably escort her out, or at the very least tell her to leave. Turning her gaze to the three Mila gauged their reactions and found each one to be slightly different. While at first to her she thought the three men hardly seemed lively and interested in her, Mila found that to be untrue at a second glance. The one with a mass of curly hair, still horizontal over one of the two beds in the tiny room, was watching her intently from the corner of his eyes. His mouth was set into a firm line and even from her spot near the doorway Mila could see how tense his shoulders were; his eyes though were what unnerved her. He was staring at her, wide-eyed and nostrils flared and it seemed to Mila he was almost… nervous of her. It was a ridiculous though though, Mila wasn’t even five foot, about a hundred pounds and even above all of that; astoundingly human. If he felt threatened and attacked well, the fight would be over before it started as he had werewolf qualities that she didn’t.

The one with short, reddish brown hair curled into a ball on one bed really, truly seemed disinterested at her. The moment she walked in Mila had received a quick once over and he’d closed his eyes as if he were trying to sleep. Every once in awhile though he’d lift his head blink blearily at her as if checking she were still there; then shoot Patrick a dubious look. Not willing to put her back to these new wolves, Mila hadn’t been able to gauge the alpha’s reaction on if things were going well; she only hoped his faith in the pack not attacking her wasn’t misplaced.

The one that seemed most obvious about her presence was the one laying on the floor. He seemed obvious about in the fact he was straight out glaring at her; his eyes, the color of sunlit whiskey were alert, but not in the nervous way that the curly brunette wolf was. No this was malice, his pink lips pressed into a thin line while his body held a tension equal to that of a lion ready to pounce on prey. He seemed to catch onto her fear and with a slow smile, got to his feet and in that moment Mila sworn that she was going to be mauled. Surprised by the man getting closer, Mila stumbled backwards; her heart jumping around crazily in her chest while her palms began to get clammy from fear. Forgetting momentarily that Patrick was behind her the woman bumped into his chest and let out a startled squeak; gaining the attention of the two on the bed. They seemed startled, then perplexed and she felt the need to explain.

“Sorry! I just forgot that Patrick was behind me.” The alpha in question moved from behind her seemingly noticed the man’s dark expression.

“Well Mila, as it seems my pack has lost all social skills- the curly haired one is Joe, the one trying to take a nap is Andy and the one standing is Pete.”

“Why is she here?” As if Patrick's words gave Pete a tongue to speak he gestured accusingly at Mila.

“Because she’s helping Grent and by extension I suppose she’ll be the one to look after me; so she may as well get to know the pack. It’s her first day Pete, try to give her some breathing room.”

“She’s human.” The utter resentment in his words shouldn’t of come as a shock; and Mila did her best not to look offended. Patrick however looked rather uncomfortable.

“The sky is blue. Are we done stating obvious things? Just because she’s… Human doesn’t mean that she’s bad.”

“Will you say that after she puts down one of us?”

“It’s her job.” At this point even the tousled haired alpha sounded put out and Pete made a noise in the back of his throat as if pleased he’d proved a point.

“Even if I weren’t a wolf and couldn’t smell the fear this one reeks of; it’d be obvious. Jumpy, quiet, and withdrawn; she’s no different than the rest.”

“Anna was different.” Patrick's voice had gone soft as if trying to soothe Pete with that name; and Mila assumed the woman had been human and something positive in the black haired wolf's life.

“Anna is dead.” There was a raw type of pain in Pete’s voice as he lowered his eyes away; closed in a brief moment of vulnerability.

“Grent trusts her so should we.” Mila found it odd they were talking about her; as if she weren’t there and a little indignant. If they were going to decide whether or not to like her, cooperate with her and make her job easier then shouldn’t she have a say in it?

“I don’t know who Anna is; but I get the feeling she was someone important to you. It’s not my place to say I won’t ever put a feral wolf down because I may have to. It’s what I signed up for. However… I don’t think that I will blindly discriminate against wolves; my job here will mostly be making sure the residents are healthy and taking medication if need be.”

“See Pete, harmless so calm down you already nearly got sent to isolation yesterday after the incident with Austin. Don’t give the poor woman grief.” His voice was thick with sleep and stretching from his tightly curled ball Andy swung his legs over the side of the bed and smiled sleepily at her. “Sorry about Pete; he’s a bit hotheaded but once he’s reasonable he’s not so bad.” Patrick chuckled as Pete made a noise close to a growl.

“I’m just worried. It’s never a good idea when humans and werewolves mix.” He sounded like Jane when she’d told Mila that connections to wolves were discouraged, and she wondered if he knew that.

“Don’t worry Pete, I’m just going to do my job is all.” Mila assured, as she really had no plans to run around befriending all the wolves at Summick. It’d be silly really; and painful as at some point they’d likely end up being put down. He sent her a dubious glare.

“Well you’ve met us you can go run back to Grent now and let him know we haven’t eaten you up.” It was clear that this man didn’t like her; and Mila didn’t expect him to change his mind in the span of mere minutes.

“Well, I’m supposed to be keeping an eye on Patrick. Otherwise I think it’d be Allen and that guy’s a douche.” A moment of shocked silence fell on the pack; until Joe broke it with a cackle of glee.

“Even the human can't stand the asshole." This seemed to break up some tension as Andy snorted as well.

"He's a bully with a gun. Worse combination, remember when he tried to put Mikey in solitary because he'd talk back and Gerard nearly tore him apart?"

Allen pissed himself; and here I was thinking he was all big and bad." Joe shook his head, a small and almost unnoticeable smile inscribed onto his face.There was a pause and Pete spoke up; the smug in his voice all to clear.

"Well one doesn't mess with Mikey and not expect to mess with Gerard." While she wasn't sure Pete was speaking because he was more comfortable, or had just forgotten his distaste; Mila was relieved. Maybe these men were on the way to accepting her which would be a large relief off of her back. These men could make her life and job very hard; but they appeared to be getting over the fact she was human, and woefully so in their eyes.

"So Mila, how are you finding your first day?" This time Joe's empathetic brown eyes turned towards her and while his head was subtly tilted in a curious manner.

"From playing with kids to hanging out with you guys? Enjoyable. I know that they only want me to familiarize myself with my patients though, I don't expect it to last."

"Most nurses that pass through usually make rounds then run errands for Dr.Grent." At this, Mila's pride was stung a little. Had she been hired to just be some errand-girl?

"I hope to be useful. I mean I did study for like eight years to be a nurse." She chuckled, a little humorlessly and Joe seemed to pick up that she'd been offended.

"Well there's not much to do around here save for flu season and the occasional fight. And by occasional I mean that's probably gonna be your days. And they give you gross duty. Like lunch, breakfast, and dinner duty to whatever floors you're assigned." Mila was slightly miffed that Joe was explaining her duties far more clearly than Dr.Grent had. It seemed the wild, white haired doctor preferred to teach by doing and that wasn't something that really always worked for Mila.

She liked to know what to expect, and when to expect it. Her mother joked that she should join the military; but the thought had never tempted her. Instead she and her mother had scraped up enough money to send her to nursing school and frowning a little Mila hoped it was worth it. She had come here expecting to find feral half-mad wolves but only found happy children, wise elders, and an alpha that seemed more human and compassionate than most men she knew. An alpha with a mostly agreeable pack it appeared.

"Speaking of fights..." Patrick finally spoke up and his gaze shifted to Pete with a stern look that made Mila feel a little sorry for Pete.

"What?" The raven haired man tried to play it cool as if he had no idea what Patrick was talking about; though Patrick wasn't having any of that.

"Austin."

"That wasn't my fucking fault! 'Trick, you know how he is." Patrick sighed a long, deep breath and closed his eyes as if seeking patience.

"I wouldn't be so upset Pete if this were the first time. Hell, I wouldn't even be so mad if it were the fourth. But this is the eighth time this week I've heard about you getting into fights."

"Well it's not like I go looking for them." At this Patrick seemed to explode. It wasn't rage though, it was the utter concern on his face that caught Mila's attention as he pleaded with his pack-mate.

"Pete! They are going to mark you as Feral. Then they'll put you down; so as your alpha I am telling you to stop fighting."

"You know that the moon affects me more than you guys." It was now Pete's turn to look sullen and moody.

"There are a lot of complications with you being a wolf but the point is for you to control it. Being bitten isn't an excuse." That was new, Mila had figured they'd all been born in captivity but to learn that the one who had hardly spared her a glance since coming through the pack's door had been born on the outside... Well that was nearly unfathomable to her. She would of asked but Pete and Patrick were not quite glaring each other down; but close to it. Patrick seemed to be more firm while Pete seemed to be struggling to not say anything to him.

"I didn't ask for this life." The utter desolation in his voice rose goosebumps along Mila's arm and Patrick's shoulders stiffened before slumping after a moment.

"I know and I'm sorry for that. But these are the cards that have been dealt and I can't fix you; only help you learn to control it." Pete stared at him, his honey brown eyes a torrent of anger, pain, and yearning before he nodded slowly.

"I'll do my best not to fight. But if some prick comes up to me I won't hold back." While he didn't look thoroughly pleased the alpha merely nodded glancing at his feet.

"Be careful." He sighed, seemingly done arguing with Pete. The raven haired wolf just nodded with a small shrug as if it were nothing. The alpha seemed to remember that Mila was there and turning to her sent the nurse an apologetic smile. "Sorry to have to have this conversation in front of you. I just don't see them all the time." Of course not, because he was locked in isolation in the basement. It was understandable that he needed to get his business in order while he was around them and nodding Mila waved it off.

"I don't mind. You've got to do what you need; don't let me stop you." She still felt out of place; an outsider, a wander just glimpsing into a world she'd only scratched upon the surface. It was a world strange and dangerous; but beautiful and enticing that Mila wanted to submerge herself within. Everything she felt she knew about wolves was wrong; or was it that Patrick and his pack were just exceptions to a rule? Licking her dry lips Mila's eyes fell upon Patrick's neck and noticed the skin there was rubbed red and raw; close to bleeding and couldn't of been that comfortable. Hadn't Grent said he'd be back with a salve? Noticing her eyes on his neck the blonde just smiled with a good-natured shrug.

"Don't worry. It doesn't hurt that bad. Just the metal rubs my skin and can leave the skin irritated."

"It's not humane." The words were blurted from Mila's lips before she fully realized she'd said them and blushed covering her mouth with her hand.

"I'm dangerous. I'm a wolf." It almost sounded kind; had the bitterness not tainted it.

"I mean.... Everyone's dangerous when you think about it." Mila wasn't sure why she was defending him exactly, but felt it was right.

"Don't let Jane or really anyone else catch you saying that." The warning in Pete's voice came as a shock to Mila as she turned her attention towards him.

"Why? If it's wrong it's wrong. Am I not allowed to speak up?"

"No." His eyes darkened, flashed a warning and once again she was under the distinct impression that he did not care for her all that much. Before she could ask what grievance she'd caused the broody raven haired wolf within the span of an hour, Patrick spoke up.

"You know what? On second thought, my neck kind of hurts. I think that Gary forgot about me. Mila will you take me to the medical ward? Wolves aren't really allowed to be wandering about." Nodding mutely she began to follow him towards the door; and was pleasantly surprised when Andy and Joe called farewells to her.

"You probably won't be around too much; but take good care of 'Trick. It was nice meeting you." Joe called after her; to which Andy hurriedly chimed in.

"Yeah! Don't be shy stop by whenever." She didn't comment how Pete remained silent as Mila walked side by side with Patrick; feeling rather dwarfed as he had nearly a good foot on her. She didn't speak as they walked down the halls; Mikey and calling Jimmy calling goodbye from further down the hall; and the nurse assumed they were still in the rec room. As they reached the elevator she felt keen, sharp eyes on her as if trying to read her mind. Glancing up Mila saw the alpha examining her, a subtle frown etched onto his lips.

"What's wrong?"

"Hmm? Oh nothing. I'm sorry about Pete's behavior. He can be unsociable..."

"I'm not bothered. To be honest I was expecting all of you to be like that if not worse." Patrick just snorted.

"You seem to think the worse of us Ms. Varg." There was an almost playful lit to his words that eased Mila as they waited for the doors to open so she could take him to the medical ward.

"Well I was told the lot of you were all blood-thirsty killing machines."

"So what do you think? Are we blood-thirsty killing machines?" He seemed to be teasing her as the doors opened and the two stepped in; the doors wooshing shut behind them.

"Hmm... Too soon to tell." The nurse taunted back, a smile adorning her pastel pink lips.

"You've wounded me with your harsh words." It seemed almost natural to be joking in such a manner with the wolf she met mere hours ago. To be honest, she was more at ease with him than her human co-workers. They were the ones who seemed to be hostile and distant; not the wolves she'd met. Maybe one or two in the basement level, but not the children, elders or even Pete and his pack or friends.

"So, Patrick how long have you been here?" He gave her a look, as if asking if the sky was really blue.

"I was born here. I've never left." It was heartbreaking to see the expression on his face but he quickly wiped it away; covering it with one of his friendly trade-mark grins. "Don't worry about me though it's not like I've ever known anything else unlike Pete. He was living beyond these walls for about twenty years before he got bitten, another year of being a wolf before they found him, tagged him and brought him here."

"They... Tag you? Like with GPS and things?"

"Yeah. Everyone has one except for the humans that work here." It was almost depressing, the way that they treated these wolves and how they were to live their lives. If she was forced to live in the same four walls all her life, Mila would surely go mad herself. Opening her mouth to protest his situation, Patrick merely held a slender finger to his lips shaking his head as the doors opened, revealing the sterile, white medical floor. A few nurses bustled about with clipboards and a few even leading what Mila assumed wolves, behind doors where they must be being treated for something.

"I don't know where Dr. Grent is." Mila admitted having only been in the medical ward briefly as Patrick shrugged, pointing to a nurse who seemed to be slacking in the halls.

"Ask him, he doesn't look like he's busy." Nodding the two stepped off the elevator and Mila hesitantly approached the man.

"Excuse me, but can you tell me where to find Dr.Grent?" The man looked up and a look of fear flashed across his face at Patrick's presence.

"All wolves are supposed to have some sort of restriction."

"What do you mean?" The nurse asked confused as Patrick only looked annoyed.

"You brought a level one wolf up here, without cuffing him in some way? If you needed him to be transported from one floor to another you could of a guard." He sounded cross standing and giving the blonde alpha a glance filled with worry and doubt; while Patrick merely looked annoyed.

"I just need a salve for my neck. I'm not going to hurt anyone."

"I wasn't talking to you." The man growled, stepping a few paces away from the alpha.

"No you're just talking about me as if I'm not here." He gritted out, trying to remain calm.

"If I wanted to talk to a dumb animal I'd let you know." Surprised at this barb, Mila stepped in when she heard Patrick growl softly and looking behind saw he looked angry, hurt, and upset with a hint of vulnerability.

"Enough! why are you talk to him like that? He hasn't done anything, and furthermore /I/ was the one who asked you a simple question and if you can't answer it than say you can't and move on. He's under /my/ watch and if I am having trouble with him I'll let someone know. As I haven't had any trouble you can mind your own business." She snapped at the other nurse with tones of impatience, indignation, and anger while he stared sullenly at her.

"His office is all the way at the end of the hall." It was spoken with choler and ire that Mila didn't quite understand. Without saying anything the nurse turned on her heel, heading towards the end of the hall with Patrick swiftly and silently following her. They didn't speak as they reached Dr.Grent's door, and she knew it was his door as there was a gilded nameplate across the glass on the door. "Not at all conspicuous." She thought dryly, reaching out and gripped the knob and turned it; opening the door to reveal a blonde woman, smiling broadly. However it faded as she looked up in fear at Mila; then relaxed at the sight of Patrick.

"Oh Pat! What are you doing up here?"

"I just needed something for my neck." His tone was soft and gentle while the woman slid off the examination table as she walked over, giving Mila another cautious glance. As she approached Patrick's eyes widened a little bit as he breathed in and his eyebrows shot up, nearly disappearing in his hairline. As he tilted his head to the side the woman nodded; and Mila was left watching this whole silent exchange with curiosity. It was amazing how wolves seemed to be able to communicate with the simplest of silent gestures; and the series of intricate body language that left her confused. The alpha's voice snapped her out of Mila's daze as he spoke up once more; and the utter joy in his voice once again startled her. "Does Matt know?"

"Not yet! I'm gonna tell him well, soon obviously. I'm sure I only have about a month until he's able to tell."

"I would say about two weeks." Grent spoke up and sent Mila a withering stare. "By the way, next time knock. Sometimes I have patients in here who value their privacy. Luckily Val isn't too cut up about you being here." Sheepishly Mila glanced at the woman; still rather oblivious to what was happening the nurse felt a small blush begin to burn her cheeks.

"Uh, sorry about that. I should've knocked." As if seeking reassurance the blonde, who must be Val, glanced at Patrick who subtly nodded.

"Don't worry about it! I'm not bothered at all. You must be new here, I'm Valerie. But you can just call me Val." In her voice as well there was warmth, but a tone of giddiness that left Mila stumped.

"Oh.. I'm Mila nice to meet you."

"Mila? That's a beautiful name. It was nice meeting you, but I've got to go. I'll see you around." She was nearly to the door when she stopped and turned around fixing the three with a stern look. "And no one tell Matt. I'm telling him now." Patrick grinned and held up his hands in resignation.

"It's your news don't worry Val." She sagged slightly with relief at this.

"Thanks, hope your neck feels better 'Trick." He nodded his relief as Val left, closing the door firmly behind her leaving only Dr.Grent, Patrick and Mila behind; the nurse still wondering what just happened.

"Come, sit Patrick." Dr.Grent commanded and turned to the raven haired girl looking rather annoyed. "You look confused."

"Is she, Val, is she ok?"

"Of course. I imagine she's on cloud nine. She's pregnant."

"Oh. That makes a lot of sense now." Mila murmured as Grent threw a half-amused smirk in her direction.

"Yes, now I take it you met the rest of his pack?" Nodding mutely Mila was surprised when Grent thrust a tube of the salve at her.

"You're still here so that's good. You fix him up; it's my lunch break." While this doctor was abrupt and had a grating Southern accent; he was beginning to grow on Mila much like the wolves.

"Oh.. Ok." With that she crossed the room towards Dr.Grent's desk, taking some gloves out of the box that rested in the middle of his desk; and noticing the antibacterial disinfected her hands before slipping the gloves on. With that squared away Mila hurried towards Patrick's side examining the irritated skin up close. Standing on her tip-toes to pull away the white collar on the issued jumpsuits the nurse was disturbed by what she saw. It looked a lot worse than the quick glances she'd given it on the way here; not only was the skin raw and red, there were parts of it that seemed to be bleeding. It wasn't that it was gross, and gory that disgusted her; it was the fact that none of this seemed to be necessary. There was silence as she gently touched part of the wound that had Patrick hissing with pain. The more she looked at it, the more that Mila noted that it kind of looked like a rash; akin to poison ivy. Poison ivy that had been irritated to the point it bled.

This couldn't just be irritation, if it were there wouldn't be that odd rash; unless he was allergic to it. "Patrick are you allergic to anything?" There was an uncomfortable pause as the alpha avoided her stare.

"Uh, not really."

"I need a straight answer, yes or no."

"I'm only I suppose 'Allergic' to wolfsbane. But then again we all are." Repulsion washed over Mila as she further examined the rash; finding that it was now oozing a little bit with clear liquid.

"They coat your collar in wolfsbane?!" The cold anger in her voice was obvious as she exhaled through her nose, trying to calm herself.

"So you are qualified to work here." Dr.Grent piped up as he pulled a brown lunch bag from his drawer.

"I need something to draw the toxins out from his skin or he won't heal." Now she sounded professional and she heard the doctor rummaging through his drawers, then get up from his chair and cross the room coming to a standstill beside her while Patrick sat patiently on the table.

"It's not that bad Mila. Don't worry about it."

"Giving a wolf wolfbane is... It's excruciating. It's the equivalent to the toxins that eat away human skin. Don't tell me that it's not bad and it's my job to make sure you're ok." He seemed to be lectured into silence as Dr.Grent wordlessly held out a jar filled with an almost translucent paste.

"I use it to treat wolfbane infections." Wordlessly she took some of the paste from the jar and carefully began to spread it on the wound; drawing a low snarl of pain from Patrick. It was sudden and shocking; which scared her a little bit. It was a glimpse into the beast that Patrick kept so well hidden, that lurked beneath the skin of the man. He sensed her freezing up and sent her an apologetic stare; one that hinted at a bit of shame.

"Sorry I didn't mean to growl. It just... wow that hurts." He said a little breathlessly and the nurse shook her head with wordless acceptance as she continued to apply the clear paste to his neck. Once she was done the nurse shucked her gloves off and threw them towards the trashbin.

"Alright you're all set." and couldn't help the feelings of pity that seemed to slide into her veins the more she got to know about Summick. It didn't seem humane at all the way they treated their wolves; and furthermore it seemed like the way they viewed them wasn't even correct. From what Mila had seen they weren't mindless beasts that attacked humans left and right; they were more people than wolf and she was feeling rather uneasy with this new information that she seemed to be uncovering.

It made her question everything; moral and work ethics, and if it was really fair to keep the wolves locked in a facility all their lives if they hadn't done anything. Not even trying to stifle these thoughts anymore she capped the jar of the paste, and made a note to ask what it was later; before turning with a frown turned towards Dr.Grent.

"He needs to keep this covered, gauze with a bit of this on it and we need to wash the wolfsbane off his collar. Why are you even wearing that?" Mila demanded, her tone a bit snappy as she turned towards Patrick.

"Rules. Because I'm an alpha and it's close to the full moon I'm stronger than most wolves. They don't want me to break out of my cell." He didn't even make an effort to disguise the despair and anger in his voice that raised goosebumps on Mila's arms.

"Well we can wash the wolfsbane off. That's not at all humane and nurse's orders."

"That's not going to go very far around here." Dr.Grent spoke up for the first time his tone deadly serious, and even a little defeated.

"Dr.Grent? What do you mean?"

"Mila, you can call me Gary. You and I are probably the only people here who think that wolves should even have basic human rights. Everyone else thinks they're dangerous, unpredictable and monsters. I've been here for thirty years, fighting for the things that you've mentioned in five minutes." She felt horrified at the thought and Gary looked at his hands, forgoing his lunch to talk in hushed tones.

"Jane, she can't really do much to me. I'm the leading doctor in wolf medicine if not in the world than the States. I know wolves like I know how to breathe; which is why I can get away with stuff like giving the kids extra portions, or bringing the level one's out for more exercise. If you wash the wolfsbane off his collar, they'll just put it back on." It was frustrating to the small nurse and she made a small noise in the back of her throat.

"But they're wrong. Some wolves go Feral but one could argue that some people go Feral. Anyone is dangerous and not just a wolf."

"Mila, don't work yourself up too much. You're a real breath of fresh air around here; don't get yourself fired." Patrick sighed, running a hand through his tousled blonde hair while looking downcast.

"No, I mean think about it! I've been here for almost a day now and it's already shown me that the government circulates wrong information to it's civilians. If we show people that wolves aren't anymore dangerous with people then surely some changes will be made."

"And how to do you suggest we go about doing that? Break Patrick out of here? Show him around to the general population? Have visitor day here?" His words may be a bit harsh, but they were true. Deflating the raven haired girl sighed.

"I don't know but I can't work here and do nothing."

"Then help then. Help them stay sane and do your best to keep them healthy." A flare of helplessness rose in Mila's chest and she sighed running a hand through her hair with an abrupt movement.

"I want to do more."

"You're doing enough. Trust me Mila, this is enough." Swiveling her gaze towards the alpha the girl frowned and sighed, a defeated sound.

"I just don't want to waste thirty years sitting around and feeling like I could of done more." It slipped from her throat before she could stop it, and to her relief Gary just chuckled.

"I remember I came here with that mindset. But an alpha told me that this was all I could do... I accepted it. If you come up with a way to get the GPS out of the wolves, and then stage a major break out with a place to go afterwards then I'm all ears." A soft blush stung her cheeks and Mila shrugged.

"I mean... I don't know if we should break the law, if I even could stage something like that."

"That was the point Mila. It's nothing I haven't thought about."

"Oh." She sighed, out of ideas as Patrick gave her a sympathetic look.

"I'm really flattered that I've managed to change your mind. If it helps you, you're the first human besides Grent to not run away screaming at the sight of me."

"There's not much to be scared about. You're in control. I mean I didn't think so at first, but after spending half the day with you I believe it."

"Most times." He countered, sliding from the examination table. "I'm afraid these talks of busting out have been so fun that I feel drained." She did notice he looked a little pale and Gary sighed.

"This talk doesn't leave this room Mila. Understand?"

"And risk my job? Of course I understand." He sent her a tight smile, his forehead beading with sweat from the heat the room was radiating; or perhaps he was nervous. Nervous that Mila would change her mind about her position on the wolves and give him up to Jane. "I'll bring you... Where should I bring you Patrick?"

"Back to my cell." He sighed with a small frown. "I've already missed dinner with the pack. So I may as well eat there." Amazed that he knew this the nurse nodded, heading to the door and waving Gary goodbye.

"I'll be back up later to see if there's anything else I can help you with." However as she reached out to open the door it swung open from the other side, and squealing with shock the nurse stumbled backwards; colliding into Patrick's chest as his arms reached out to steady her. It didn't scare her like it would of before, instead she was relieved and patting his arm shot him a glance, trying to allude to how thankful she was he didn't let her fall and split her skull open. The biggest shock, to Mila was when she turned and found Jane herself standing in the doorway, graying hair in a braid and looking at her with a hint of disapproval.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here? Mr.Stump?" The warmth in her voice was forced and stiff as Patrick just glared furiously at her, his grip tightening slightly on the small nurse.

"Jane."

"Is there a reason you're holding my nurse? I don't suppose you've gone Feral yet." At this point the raven haired woman's cheeks were red as Patrick glared defiantly at Jane.

"You're not quite that lucky."

"What's going on here Mila?" The sudden turn of attention on her made Mila self-conscious as she gently tugged herself out of Patrick's grip.

"Nothing 'Mam. Patrick had a burn that didn't look so good so I treated it. We were on our way back to the first level." While she tried to keep her voice level if one listened carefully they could hear the stain of disdain. Jane picked up on it, that was obvious from the way her eyes narrowed slightly and her posture stiffened.

"Very good then. Why don't you check in later so we can go over your first day? Also I need to talk to Dr. Grent now about a Feral wolf. So how about you two run along." While the contrived happiness sweetened her words; there was an undertone of the elder woman patronizing the nurse and doing her best not to roll her eyes Mila hurried with Patrick towards the door squeezing past her and into the hallway feeling her eyes following the two as closed the door behind them.

Patrick was stiff, tense, and angry; Mila was under the distinct impression those two didn't get along very well.

"So, Patrick Stump eh? Quite a name." Trying to lighten the tension as they headed towards the elevator, ignoring the looks from other doctors and nurses, she had a small successes as the alpha chuckled.

"Everyone says that you know." It was quietly spoken as he kept his head lowered, avoiding the gazes of others.

"Patrick Stump... It has a nice ring to it though. I like it."

"Mila." His voice was serious and somber as they reached the elevator, and his hand flashed out gently grabbing her wrists and tugging her so she was facing him. Feeling her heart flutter the nurse merely raised an eyebrow as he continued. "Don't go see Jane later. She's... She's a terrible person. What you think about the wolves when you first came here, it's more true of her than anything else." The words were spoken so softly she had trouble hearing them and pausing as the doors opened the girl sighed, a deep and weary sound.

“None of this right.” Patrick gave no indication that he had heard her, or was paying attention and unlike the other elevator rides they’d embarked on throughout the day, this one was quiet and tense. It unnerved Mila to see how much this woman affected Patrick, clearly not in a good way. It gave her chills to see how one woman, one human, could affect him like this; in such a way that he wasn’t the happy and kind alpha she’d met. No this was a predator the way he paced in the small elevator as they descended further and further into the building.

His shoulders were tight and tense while the casual smile had disappeared from his face; hidden by the thunderous look that tightened his lips into a thin line while it was obvious he was doing his best not to growl. That was what Mila from worrying about her own safety; she didn’t have to. It seemed the alpha always was. The doors opened and to Mila’s regret they were back on his floor.

They were not alone, as the snarls and insults were tossed at them from within cells as the two made their way to Patrick’s cage. It in essence was a cage and the small, curvy nurse felt terrible about putting him back inside. As she pressed the fleshy part of her thumb against the fingerprint scanner Patrick sighed softly ignoring the threats and verbal abuses tossed at him by the other level ones.

“Awwh, come on sweetie. You don’t want a runt like him; how ‘bout you come open my cage?” The voice rose above the others and Mila was pretty sure it was the wolf from before. Before she could usher Patrick into his cage the wolf whipped around, teeth exposed with a small snarl.

“If you keep bothering her Anthony I will skin your flea-ridden hide. Do you understand me?” His voice was dark with threat and rage; sending shivers up and down the raven haired girl’s spine.

“What’s wrong Patrick? Take a shining to the little nurse?” He growled once more and Mila while grateful for his concern also knew that a fight would bring the attention of the guards and possibly Jane.

“‘Trick, ignore him. C’mon.” She murmured, knowing that his sensitive hearing would pick up her words. He seemed to deflate a little, and the woman was glad he hadn’t minded the use of his nickname. He began to follow the her back to his cell when Anthony decided to speak up once more.

“Taking orders from that little bitch now Stump? She must have a way with wild things; maybe I’ll find out one day eh?”

“Not even if you begged.” Mila snapped, before Patrick could say anything while half pulling half pleading with the blonde wolf to return to his cell. The alpha’s deep and intense changeling eyes were narrowed as he glared sullenly, his shoulders rigid with agitation at Anthony’s words. Already feeling bad about leaving him in this cage, Mila couldn’t leave without soothing him and hesitantly she placed her hand on his bicep; gaining his attention.

“Hey, dont’ worry about what that prick says. I’ve dealt with worse. I’m not as fragile as you may like to believe.” She offered him a tentative smile, trying to ignore the small flutter in her stomach as he returned it in a benign manner. He seemed to be mulling over what to say licking his lips nervously.

“A wolf, once it decides- no… What I want to say is that I’ll protect you so don’t worry. Nothing’s gonna hurt you.” He seemed genuinely concerned, while proud of himself at the same time. The fluttering in Mila’s stomach intensified; his eyes were just a little too keen. His body posture a little too intuitive and concerned. Feeling heat creep up along her neck, and feeling flustered the nurse just turned away towards the door.

“Oh.. Thank you.” She wondered what he was going to say, but didn’t press him. If the alpha had wanted to continue whatever train that had first flown from his lips; he would of. Even as she headed to the door she could feel his sharp and ardent morphing eyes on the back of her head. It wasn’t quite human and it was times like these that she saw glimpses of the predator beneath lurking within plain sight.

“You have to lock me up. Or you’ll get into trouble.” His voice didn’t lose that protective edge, and she turned to catch him sit on the bed, in a resigned fashion eyes closing briefly. The collar sat next to him, still chained to the wall and she felt her stomach drop.

“No, no, and no. I’m not doing it.”

“You’ve got to. I can’t have you getting taken off this floor cause you’re too nice.” There was a bit of forced humor in Patrick’s voice as the woman shifted in spot; clearly torn on what to do. “Here I’ll walk you through it.”

“It has wolfsbane on it.”

“Yup, only the fresh and best for the big bad alpha.” It was bitter and sarcastic, only cementing Mila’s hesitation to lock him up. However, she thought of all he’d done for her that day and with a subtle scowl, slowly walked to where he was seated on the dirty bed. “Alright, just pick it up and put it around my neck. Push the two ends together and until a guard comes through with the key I shall stay put.”

“But why?”

“Because the moon is almost out. They don’t want me to get loose; wolves do tend to revert back to their more instinctive, predator state during a full-moon’s phase unless they’ve taught themselves otherwise.” With reluctant fingers Mila picked up the alarmingly heavy collar, feeling a powder rub off on her hands. “Wolfsbane.” She thought grimly while slipping the heavy iron looking collar onto his neck and in a fluid motion clicking it shut.

Crying out Patrick’s eyes flashed a red color that she’d not seen before as his claws and fangs elongated from pain. Shocked Mila was frozen in place as he gave a wordless yell, trying to yank the thing off. Smelling burning flesh Mila’s stomach churned as Patrick slowly regained control of himself. Looking weary he reached out, claws still grown and patted the small nurse on the head.

“Thanks, you should go see Dr.Grent before you go. Try to skip on seeing Jane; alone at least. I don’t trust her and I don’t want you to be around her. I’ll see you tomorrow.” It was a dismissal and lingering a moment longer the nurse headed to the door. Opening it she turned and gave him a small and desolate smile.

“I’ll see you in the morning. I’m so sorry about this.” Before closing the door feeling more alone than she had upon coming into this building the very same morning.

Had it been this morning? It felt like that was years ago, and within the course of a day had her world flipped on her. She had come here so dead set on believing these wolves were the enemies but now, she wasn’t so sure. As she made her way to the elevators, alone, Mila found herself sucked deeper and deeper into her own thoughts. She was hardly aware as her feet brought her to the elevator, only to resume their pace towards Dr.Grent’s door.

Vaguely she was aware that people were giving her odd stares and Mila found she didn’t care. It wasn’t until she walked through Gary’s door that she felt somewhat able to relax and the old doctor turned around, holding a briefcase in one hand.

“What’s wrong with you girlie? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

“I just… I don’t know if I can cope with all of this. I had to put that damned collar thing on ‘Trick tonight. He was in so much pain Gary…”

“And when you do it tomorrow and the next day that won’t change. Listen, Patrick is… He’s a kind and winsome type of alpha. But, he likes your company. Don’t quit; now do you want to come tuck the kids in? Always helps to ease my mind.” Briefly Jane’s face flashed in front of Mila and she bit her lip; unsure if she could ignore her summons.

“It’s nearly five now Mila, your shift is pretty much over. Don’t mind Jane. she oversees things but I’m your boss.” She was beginning to feel more and more comfortable around this abrupt Southern man.

“Oh, that’s a relief. Patrick didn’t really want me hanging around her.” He made a noise and raised an eyebrow; though if he was thinking anything kept it to himself.

“You should go home; mull over today get ready for tomorrow. I’ll tell the kids you said hi. They liked you.” A broad simper extended over her pastel pink lips as the woman nodded, and turned towards the door, suddenly feeling exhausted. Gary followed her to the elevators, the stares from the other nurses and doctors now avoiding the duo. They said nothing as the doors opened with that ding that Mila was sure she’d hear in her grave.

They rode together until Gary reached the 18th floor with the children and bade her goodnight. The only thing that kept Mila company as she rode to the lobby; and walked out of the doors relieved to find the snobby ginger man keeping quiet, was her thoughts about this place. Could she even continue to work here? It wore on her even after the first day. What would ten years be like? The cold September air hit her full force as she opened the lobby doors and hurried to her car in the emptying parking lot.

As she pulled out of the long and secluded drive to Summick, Mila turned the radio on letting the gentle crooning notes of some Indie song lull her into a clear-minded state. She’d stay; of course. What choice did she have? As she pulled out onto road and guided her car home, Mila knew that she’d help those wolves however she could; she would not abandon them.