Status: Active- with muse

Flip

Fights and Unjust Consequences

The next month passed quickly for Mila; it was all a rush and true to Joe's words most of her work had been treating beaten up wolves and passing around breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It became a routine for her that she'd take her breaks and any extra time with Patrick, walking him around the building and in the small yard the wolves were allowed out into for exercise. Over the month the two had formed a rather close bond; Mila doing what she could to make him and his pack happy, while Patrick looked out for her however he could, from threatening other wolves who copped an attitude with her; to making sure Pete was minimally respectful when she was around.

The month had welded the two as fast friends; and Mila found herself enjoying his company more and more. The rare displays of aggression or more wolf-like behavior ceased to frighten her; instead it began to comfort her. He normally only "Wolfed Out" as she liked to call it when he felt she was threatened, or if he was in pain. However Mila knew that he'd never raise fang or claw against her; which soothed her greatly. She learned that he had no family left alive, they'd all been labeled Feral and put down, he preferred to solve things by talking first, and was highly respected by the other wolves at Summick.

The more he opened up to her, the more Mila found herself agreeing with wolves as opposed to her human co-workers on many issues. Over the month, she had developed a reputation that not even Patrick, with all his fearsome teeth gnashing could save her from. Many were convinced that she was plotting with Patrick, therefore why she spent so much time with him; called her names behind her back and tried their best to stay away from her, except for Jane. Over the course of the month Jane had taken a keen interest in Mila, and she found it hard to go through a day without finding the elder woman interfering in some miniscule issue that the raven haired nurse was fully capable of taking care of herself. She felt at times that /she/ was being watched; and it left her with an eerie feeling of unease.

Once Patrick had found out that Jane was seeking Mila out, the alpha had nearly been beside himself with worry. He had demanded to know what it was that Jane wanted; and it was with a tinge of confusion that Mila admitted she had no idea. It seemed that it was just the elder women keeping an eye on her; perhaps she really believed Mila was trying to spring Patrick and the wolves free. Today however, was rather muggy for a September day and the floor where Patrick was kept had no heating or cooling making it almost unbearable to sit down in his cell with her lunch sitting on her lap in a haphazard manner while he ate the goolash Summick served with a frown.

"That looks disgusting, do you want some of my sandwhich?" The raven haired nurse finally asked, no longer able to eat her own edible food while he was forced to the tan looking chunky soup.

"Eh... I mean if it's no trouble." The alpha admitted sheepishly offering her a smile. Thankfully, the moon had passed and while Mila only noticed a slight increase in Patrick's aggression; some of the other wolves had been unbearable. Another plus was the blonde wolf no longer had to sit in his cell, chained with that dreadful collar that Mila still hadn't managed to convince anyone to take the wolfsbane off of.

"I wouldn't of offered if it were a problem 'Trick." She piped up, breaking off a generous portion and handing it to him. It unnerved her how skinny he was; how his hips seemed to jut out a little and his face looked a little too sharp, his prominent cheekbones just a little too prominent. "You're not getting enough to eat." As she dropped the chunk of food into his hands the alpha flushed a delicate pink and gave her an assuring smile.

"They do it to speed up the process of making a wolf go Feral. I mean all of this, the whole set-up is designed for a wolf to go Feral. Did you know that a caged wolf will break his teeth trying to chew out of a cage; or snap his spine by throwing himself against the walls?" Mila hadn't known that and a pit of dread pooled in her stomach.

"Then I'll bring extra food from now on. Gary does it with the children, why can't I do it with you?" He tilted his head while his lips fell into a firm frown.

"As much as I appreciate the offer, I really can't. I mean my pack gets no more than I do and it wouldn't be fair for me to eat more than them." While it was noble, Mila still thought that the alpha should be eating more. Patrick had that firm and stubborn expression that she seldom saw and sighing the nurse put down the remaining sandwich to hold her hands up in defeat.

"Ok Mr.Stump you win. But you're going to split food with me." He looked like he wanted to argue but at her look he merely took a bite of the sandwich that he'd been given.

"Sometimes." It was muffled against the bread and playfully Mila smacked his arm, shaking her head with mock disapproval.

"You are so difficult sometimes."

"Yet you still come back everyday." He taunted once he finished swallowing the piece of bread a glimmer of amusement in his eyes that appeared a striking greenish blue in the dim lighting.

"I must be a fool." Mila sighed dramatically before tilting her head back and giggling. Patrick just smiled and seemed to sober up for a moment, a bead of sweat forming on his brow.

"So it's been a month, what do you think?"

"Honestly? I think that the employees suck. I don't think that any of your conditions are humane; and on top of it all I feel like I'm constantly being watched. I hate that." He paled at little as her voice rose a few notches and her cheeks took on an angry flush.

"Tell me how you really feel Mila." He joked weakly.

"But, I love working with the wolves; I mean you're probably my best friend upon moving out here which sounds weird." He tilted his head a little; as a small smile graced his lips.

"Well, I'm glad you've got friends. Even if they're usually locked up in a cell and an alpha and technically dangerous. I didn't know you weren't from around here, where are you from?"

"Massachusetts." She answered simply, before lowering her gaze. "I don't care that most my friends are locked up. And I wish you would stop saying you're dangerous. You've literally done nothing but make sure I was ok since getting here. In fact, none of you are really dangerous. Except maybe Pete. I think he wants to gut me." Mila stated, in a half-joking manner.

"It's not that he wants to gut you. He's concerned for you believe it or not."

"What do you mean?" This was definitely news for Mila. The whole entire month she'd been there Pete either refused to acknowledge her existence or threw sharp barbs at her; insulting and sarcastic. It seemed he made a point not to be around her and tended to only speak to Patrick when she was around. It hurt, the other two Andy and Joe had adjusted well to her presence. They would all take dinner together most nights, even if she stayed late to do so, and had made a point to make her feel more welcomed. In fact, most wolves had now that the curvy nurse thought back on it.

Matt and his group always greeted her when they saw each other; didn't whine whenever she had to patch one of them up and Matt had even offered his aid if any werewolf gave her a hard time. When he found they'd been talking behind her back, that "aid" extended to her co-workers. While it was endearing, Mila knew he had his hands full worrying about his pregnant mate Val; which was something else she had learned in the month she'd been here. It didn't seem that wolves got officially married here; they mated and stayed mates which to them was more binding than any legal document. Even the children and elders had come to enjoy her presence; Mila played games with the little ones and snuck theme extra food, and listened to the elder's stories while swapping her own.

"Well... It's his place to tell you why but he doesn't think it's a good idea for humans and wolves to mix."

"Yeah, well he's made that clear." Mila snorted dryly finishing the rest of her lunch while wiping the crumbs off his dirty bed, which was probably too small for them both to be squeezed onto. Their limbs were casually leaned against each other, and the alpha’s broad shoulders had been serving as a sort of wall for Mila to lean against. From here she could feel his strong and steady heartbeat against her, and it was then that Mila realized that she felt rather safe like this. Yet, she didn’t dwell on it and intently listened to Patrick attempt to explain the enigma that was Pete to her.

"That came out wrong, he just doesn't want to see you get hurt; lets leave it at that. He'll already be angry if he finds out I told you so much." It hadn't felt like Patrick had told her a lot but she let it go.

"You know he was in medical bay the earlier. Got torn up pretty bad this time."

"Who?" Patrick asked, his voice suddenly sharp.

"Austin. Not the point anyway, he got to Gary's office all ripped up. His stomach was nearly torn clean open; we stitched that up. He was already passed out from blood loss, and he also had to get stitches on his arm, thigh and lower back. Austin must of missed his throat, so he was lucky in that regard. He'll be ok, but he's gonna hurt like hell for the next couple hours; he had just woken up when I left to take my lunch break. Of course he made sure to let me know that I was pretty much useless at nursing. Then promptly passed back out. I don't blame him, he was in a lot of pain and in a bad mood. He'll be all healed by tomorrow though, his stomach looked the worse." The alpha just sighed and rubbed his chin, looking rather concerned.

"I'll figure out what happened then."

"Just... Please don't 'Trick. That sounds an awful lot like you're going to kick Austin's ass. And I don't want to see them mark you as Feral if something happens."

"I didn't say I'd do anything. Just find out what happened but if you want my opinion it was whatever guard was on duty. They put wolves together they know don't get along and just let them go at it. They do sh-shit like that and think it's funny. They even take bets on who gets torn up." Even though he stuttered, the chilling anger in Pat's voice rose goosebumps on Mila's arms and she felt legitimately concerned for Austin, and perhaps the guard who'd been watching the pair. They would be answering to an angry Patrick; which was always scary.

The only other time she'd seen him angry was when they would go back to his cell, and Anthony would shout insults at Patrick and get rather sexually explicit with Mila. The calm that Patrick wore so well would vanish, and he almost transformed into a completely different man. He'd get rather agitated and always seemed to be fighting the urge to go and tear the other wolf limb from limb. It was always then that Mila most clearly saw the wolf; and whether she was stupid or brave, found she still didn't fear him. It was only for her that he'd get that worked up for and she wasn't sure to be flattered or nervous.

"Well, my break's probably over I should head back to Gary. I'm sure there's plenty more wolves that have gotten a few bumps and scratches."

"Which is pointless because we all heal up pretty quickly." It was true, they all had an amazing recovery time. At one point Mila had seen one child fall and cut their knee open, only to have it heal almost instantaneously. From what she was learning a werewolf inflicting a wound on another werewolf took longer to heal, but still faster than human recovery; and an alpha inflicting a wound took as long as human recovery. "And your break was over five minutes ago." Patrick had this weird internal clock that Mila used for keeping time and sighing she shot the alpha a look.

"You were supposed to tell me when my shift was over."

"Gary doesn't mind and I get bored down here. I wasn't kidding when I said you were a breath of fresh air." She shot him a look and as she rose to leave the alpha patted her head, ruffling the hair a little. It was a gesture that while at first had been strange to Mila; she'd grown used to.

"I mind when the other nurses say I'm plotting a large-scale break out. Besides Jane's probably looking for me; she always finds an excuse to find me after lunch."

"I don't like when she pulls you aside. She... She really scares me." Patrick admitted in a soft and vulnerable voice, his eyes looking like a dull greyish color as he lowered them away from her face. It was possibly the best puppy dog look Mila had ever seen but the woman had no control in seeing the "Big Boss"

"Come on, I can take care of myself. Now stay here and I'll be back for supper." He sighed and nodded, leaning back against his bed and lowering the tray of near inedible food to the floor.

"Yeah cause I don't have much other choice to stay here. You stay with Pete. Look after him and don't listen to what he says. He's grateful even if he can't say it to your face." Opening the door the curvy nurse nodded and mumbled a goodbye, before closing the door in his face. This was the worse part about her job; leaving him. He'd always wait for her like that ever-faithful puppy; and there had been a few times she'd come back to find him in the same spot she left him, eyes trained on the door.

Part of her was unnerved by the fact that he'd taken so strongly to her, how it appeared he felt the need to protect her and make sure she was ok. In fact, now that she thought of it, the alpha tended to get almost jealous when Joe teased her, even if it was only good-naturedly; or Andy demanded her attention to talk. He'd huff under his breath and roll his eyes as the two joked around with her, and got a little annoyed when Joe's teasing bordered on flirtatious. On her way towards the elevator Anthony fully took advantage of the fact that Mila was alone, and Patrick couldn't physically be there; attempting to protect her from his verbal abuse.

"Hey Sweetheart. Come in here and I'll show you what an alpha is really capable of." He shouted at her and feeling anger boil in her stomach the inky-haired woman rolled her eyes; about to shout at him when a different voice beat her to it.

"I swear if you don't shut up Anthony; I'm gonna tear your liver out and feed it to you next time we go out to exercise." The voice was soft, dark, smooth, and dangerous sounding- and a voice Mila normally never heard.

"Oh you too Gerard? Damn, now I really gotta see what the big deal about that bitch is."

"I could care less for Patrick's pet. I'm sick of your degrading and tasteless comments. If they could be called that."

"She's not my pet!" Patrick fired back and Mila had to agree with him there.

"I forgot you're the lapdog in this situation." Gerard remarked, his voice as dry as bleached bones.

"I am no one's lapdog Gerard." Rolling her eyes at the influx of voices Mila shouted at the three of them.

"Anthony, shut up and maybe I'll see what I can do on getting you more magazines. Gerard, thanks for the help, but don't worry about it. And Patrick just ignore him. I can handle myself." Sometimes it felt like she was babysitting three cranky overgrown children; delegated to playing referee between them. Sighing with relief as the trio fell into silence as the doors binged open Mila called a final "I'll see you for dinner 'Trick." Before the doors slammed shut; rendering any noise into silence as she ascended towards the medical floor. A small smile was unbidden and evident on her lips as Mila thought of the quirky alpha she'd befriended, and wondered if he knew that he too was a welcome breath of fresh air for herself. Lost in thought Mila wandered towards Gary's office.

As she approached the door she heard quiet voices chattering in the small office, and upon opening the door found Joe and Andy huddled by Pete's side talking in whispers. Pete appeared to be sleeping, his breathing somewhat labored but better than before while his face looked as peaceful as Mila had ever seen it; though still held a shadow of the aggression she normally saw. His shirt was off, exposing a rather in-shape and muscular body though his stomach was wrapped with heavy gauze, stained with blood. She hadn't met this Austin fellow yet, but Pete seemed to despise him with a burning passion though she was startled out of her thoughts as Joe greeted her with a somber voice.

"Hey Mila." It was a stark contrast from how he normally was and Mila was a little unnerved by it.

"Hey guys, is something wrong?" They exchanged glances for a moment before looking at their feet.

"Is Pete gonna be marked as Feral? Austin was pretty torn up too but he's in a different office getting patched up."

"I... I haven't heard he was? He's not Feral in any case. Just angry." A heavy sigh was drawn from the two wolves, mixed with relief and concern.

"I know. It's harder for bitten wolves. That and Pete had his own issues before he was even bit." Andy murmured quietly glancing down at the slumbering man with a tender look, and it was clear how much this pack cared for one another.

"He was, is bipolar. And that's done nothing to help the aggression that comes from being a wolf. Plus Patrick came from a long line of alphas and wolves, so control was pretty easy for him. He taught Andy and my family has been here as long as his so we grew up together, I was the first in the pack." Joe explained, rubbing his head with a small frown. "Basically what I'm saying Mila is that, Pete, he can learn control. It's incredibly hard for him and he's not been the most compliant to 'Trick's training; but we're all worried he's running out of time. But he could do it if he put some effort into it." Joe sighed, keeping his steely, clear, cerulean orbs downcast, focused on Pete.

"We'll just have to find a way to convince him." Mila murmured rubbing her chin with thought. "At least you two for now try to keep him away from this Austin guy. If he starts to get into a fight if you can I'd say physically restrain him and remove him from the situation. If possible of course."

"Aye, aye 'Ma'am." Joe said, rather playfully as Andy silently nodded. The three lapsed into silence as they watched Pete; Mila monitoring his progress and the other two simply holding his hands. It confused Mila why they were doing that, but amounted it to simple concern and a comforting gesture. Time stretched out as the two were bent over him, brows furrowed and every so often growling under their breaths. It was thoroughly confusing to Mila, but she didn’t feel like disturbing whatever it was Joe and Andy were trying to accomplish. Finally after about an hour and a half of the two crouched over a still unconscious Pete, the nurse decided that she may as well try to check the stitching, to make sure they were indeed healing.

Yet as Mila began to peel back the gauze to change the bloodied one to a fresher, cleaner one, she noticed that Joe and Andy's eyes were both closed with concentration and a small bead of sweat had formed on the redhead's forehead. Curiously enough, the stitches didn't look so raw or red which while Pete would be healed by the morning; the healing process shouldn't of been that far along from everything Mila had observed since coming here.

"Wow he's healing fast." She remarked carelessly and cracking one eye open Andy nodded.

"As a pack, we have an ability to take on another's pain to help speed up the healing process. Granted it hurts and if Patrick were here it'd be much, much faster." His voice was strained and with a small gasp he let go of Pete's hand; only to take a few breaths before taking his position again with an air of determination. Shaking her head at these incredible abilities the woman felt questions bubble up in her throat.

“And you can do this for anyone?”

“Well… No.” Joe deadpanned before continuing to explain, “It only applies to those in our pack. Like if Gary got hurt we couldn’t help him. He’s not pack. It just doesn’t work. No one really knows why; Gary amounts it to the incredible empathetic link that a pack will share.” Nodding and feeling slightly awed the raven haired nurse shook her head, speechless as she began to re-dress Pete’s wounds.

“Well you guys never cease to amaze me.”

“Gonna cut our brains open?” Andy teased looking rather impish from his spot beside Pete. A sudden groan and feeble stirring from the examination table caught everyone’s attention as Pete began to come around, breaking Mila’s attention away from Andy. Mila hadn’t expected him to wake so soon and hurrying to his side tried to force him back down so he wouldn’t disturb the stitches she had administered.

“Pete, do you know where you are?”

“Obviously, where I’ve been for oh the past six years now?” Feeling a sting of exasperation the woman reached for a patient note.

“I mean specifically. You’re in the medical bay.”

“Well I would fucking hope so.”

“Do you know what happened?”

“Is this twenty questions? I have one for you; when will you shut up and let me be? I want a different nurse. Get Gary.” It seemed his moodswing fury would be turned on her for now and Joe made a move to speak up but Mila held up her hand to silence him.

“Clearly you’re feeling ok as you’re back to your normal, sweet, charming self and I don’t have to worry about memory loss or brain damage from that bump on your head. You have to stay in medical bay until tomorrow; but then you’ll be free to go.”

“I feel like I got run over by a fucking truck. Be a doll and get me some pain pills?”

“Sorry, I’ve given you as much as I'm allowed to.” His cold gaze was now wreathed with a silent pain that he was doing his best not to voice. As in response to this Joe and Andy tightened their grip on his Pete who gave a small sigh of relief after a few moments; then turned his anger back onto Mila.

“What good are you then?”

“Well seeing as how I helped patch you up today; you might want to give me some credit.” Mila was done with just being pushed around by Pete and she didn’t need Patrick to protect her from him. If he had an issue than they would damn well resolve it because it was clearly putting everyone in an awkward position. He just glared sullenly at her, though the intended fierceness was ruined as his stomach grumbled rather loudly.

“And can I have my lunch Mila, or is that going to endanger my life too?”

“It’s fine I’ll go get it.” However, before she could so much as twitch a muscle Andy and Joe jumped to their feet and had hurried to the door; seemingly relieved for an excuse to get out of the tension filled room.

“We’ll get it! We know what Pete likes anyway.” Without so much as waiting for an answer the two disappeared leaving Pete and Mila alone. It wasn’t like the other times she’d been around Pete; Patrick had been there glaring him down from behind her shoulder for him to be civil. Part of her wondered what it was about her that ticked him off so much; but she didn’t dare speak.

While she may not be pushed around by him, Mila found talking to him, trying to start a conversation was just asking for trouble. When Patrick was around; he’d flat out ignore her and when he wasn’t he’d spit some venomous reply before ignoring her. As she nervously took a seat at Gary’s desk, wondering where the white haired doctor had gotten off to; Mila was surprised to feel a pair of eyes trained intently on her. Raising her head the woman caught Pete’s sunlight and whiskey eyes studying her; and for a moment the overwhelming disgust was gone; and instead a soft vulnerability was visible in his deep whiskey colored orbs.

She was about to ask him if he was feeling ok, when it vanished like the sun in a rainstorm; so Mila thought better of it. The minutes ticked on and the nurse wondered where the hell the other two had gotten off to and was torn between leaving her patient and going to find them. Every so often the wolf’s stomach would rumble but other than that a smothering silence fell upon them. It grew moment by moment deepening the invisible rift between them; so Mila felt the need to speak up.

“Pete, I know that you don’t like me; and I’m sorry for whatever it is I’ve done to offend you. But I can’t fix it if we don’t talk about it. Is it because I’m a new human? Do you think I’m just gonna leave you guys ‘cause I promise I’m not.” His gaze swiveled to her, intent and unnerving while the nurse was beginning to wish she’d kept her mouth shut. However, the intensity gave way to a thunderous and bewildered look as he struggled to prop himself up on his elbows; hindered by the extensive stitching in his stomach.

“You really are dumb. I don’t hate you; I worry about your well-being and because you’re so…” He paused clearly searching for the right word to describe her. “Dense, dumb, unaware. Fragile? Take your pick, anyway you’re so unaware about what could happen. Humans don’t belong around us; we’re not safe. ‘Trick may have his shifts down to a science but hardly any of the rest of us do. You couldn’t protect yourself against us even if you tried. Even in the state I’m in now I can tear you apart.”

“I don’t foresee any of you going Feral. Or attacking me.” It was confidently spoken and a low growl froze Mila in her movements.

“You don’t understand. You don’t just have us to worry about. You think Summick’s employers are bad now? These people you work for are more animals than we are; oh just ask Jane about her little experiments at some point.” This intrigued Mila and she leaned forward slightly. However as soon as the words slipped from his mouth Pete visibly paled, and his lips pressed down into a firm frown, while his posture stiffened immediately.

“What do you mean?” He looked extremely guarded hesitant.

“Forget it.” He seemed to be struggling with something but Mila didn’t feel like letting this drop.

“No seriously, tell me.” A sudden snarl from the wolf had Mila scurrying back as he flipflopped to being angry again. He was careful not to rip open his stitches, but the swelling power and rage beneath his snarl startled her.

“I am not Patrick. Don’t you ever for a second think you can order me around.” Swallowing a lump in her throat Mila glanced at her shoes. “You may get away with treating him like your oversized lapdog, but don’t you ever, ever, think I’ll let you get away with that. I’m nice to you because he makes me.” His chest rose and fell for a moment with angry labored breaths and it appeared he was struggling for control as his eyes flashed their warning golden color, masking the liquor brown they normally were.

“Right. Sorry.” It seemed to calm him as Pete settled back onto the examination table, closing his eyes.

“Now be quiet and let me sleep.” He sighed, to which Mila didn’t argue. He should probably be sleeping and while he was sleeping; Mila didn’t have to watch him. It unnerved her how fast he would go from distant to rage, and he seemed to be the only one in the pack who was prone to such a temper. Settling down into the chair at Gary’s desk, another ten minutes passed before Joe and Andy got back banging the door open; causing the curvy nurse to wince and send them a glare.

“He’s sleeping.” Mila whispered, though as if to contradict her every statement the man sat upright and held out his hands for the tray they’d brought back.

“No I’m not. I just didn’t feel like talking to her.”

“Pete…” Joe sighed and the wolf on the examination table simply raised an eyebrow as if daring him to go on. Joe did dare to go on. “When Patrick hears what a prick you’re being you know how… Upset he’ll be.” There was an awkward pause that didn’t go unnoticed by her; but Pete just scoffed and carefully swung his legs over the examination table, sitting up with the food in his lap.

“Like I give a flying fuck. I don’t care. He has his opinions I have mine.” Once again they were talking about her as if Mila wasn’t sitting right there and the woman cleared her throat.

“Whatever opinions he has, and you have I trust you can find a better time to talk about it?”

“Look at you, all barbed tongue and agitation. You weren’t like that when you first came here.” Mila rolled her eyes and smiled sweetly at Pete fighting the urge to give him some sedative to at least get him to go to sleep.

“Well, I’ve learned from the best.”

“Flattered.” He countered dryly, taking a bite of the goolash she’d seen Patrick eating earlier. She didn’t want to know what it was supposed to be; though as she sat there watching her stubborn patient with a note of disdain, the door was flung open and Gary was there, looking rather upset.

“Mila we need you.” She wasn’t sure who he was referring to, but something was happen and fearing it was Patrick she all but stumbled to her feet.

“Is Patrick ok?”

“Yes… It’s one of the guards. He’s been bit.”

“Was it an alpha?”

“It was Ian.” Feeling her stomach drop Mila sucked a breath in, while Joe and Andy stiffened. Ian was one of the children on the floor that Mila worked; a normally sweet boy. Being an alpha however he wasn’t all that in control of his temper, and was vulnerable to throwing temper tantrums. Being eight, the elder wolves the children were floored with kept an eye on him and had begun to teach him how to control himself.

“What happened?”

“One of the guards was getting a bit too rough with his sister for his liking so Ian tried to tell him to stop. The asshole took to taunting Ian and he snapped; bit the guard.”

“Is he turning?”

“Only time will tell. Either way we need to get Ian. Put him in isolation until a decision has been made about him.” Ice washed over Mila at Gary’s flat tone; and the way the wolves snarled.

“You’re fucking kidding?! He’s just a kid. Kids bite people sometimes. Especially when they feel their family is being threatened.” Pete hissed, his eyes flashing a golden warning color. Joe grabbed his shoulder and if it were in comfort or restrain; Mila didn’t know.

“Be careful of your stitches.” Gary said his voice an empty husk of the vibrant emotions it usually swirled with.

“What are they going to do Gary?” However before the doctor could speak Pete took it upon himself to explain for him.

“They’re going to mark Ian as Feral. Then they’ll put him down.” The withering, trembling, tones of fury and anguish in Pete’s voice wasn’t lost on Mila. Even as she examined him now from quiet and thoughtful eyes she could see his eyes held a tormented, pain filled, and helpless expression while his lips ever-so-subtly trembled with anger of what was surely to befall Ian.

“You don’t know that. They’re more lenient with children.”

“Bullshit!” Andy shouted, while Joe nodded his silent agreement. Gary looked crestfallen and ashen at the prospect if the shaking of his hands was anything to go by.

“We just have to convince them the guard was at fault. Ian was provoked.”

“Of course he was provoked! He’s ten years old!” Mila growled, running a hand through her thick raven black hair pacing nervously.

“You need to calm down Mila. Ian will pick up on it if you go all nervous. Do your best to soothe him. You and I are bringing him to isolation.” Pursing her lips Mila nodded taking deep and calming breaths.

“Fine lets go. Joe, Andy stay with Pete make sure he doesn’t do something stupid.”

“You sound like Patrick.” Andy remarked with a humorless smile across his face.

“Don’t worry about it Mila. Go do what you’ve got to do. Try to take care of him ok?” Joe intoned his expression unsettlingly serious. Nodding silently Mila followed Gary out of the room; and noted how flooded the hall was with people either chattering in hushed tones, or people crowding about one room. Gary stiffened and tensed, anger scrawled clearly crossed his age-chiseled face.

“What are you lot standing around for?! Get back to work.”He bellowed, as nurses and doctors quickly obeyed the old man, not wanting to incite his rage too much; they scattered like seeds on the wind back to whatever they’d been doing before the guard got bit. Silently with a sullen expression Mila and Gary hurried towards the children’s wing; as they had so many times before. Only this time to possibly bring a child to await their execution. Time seemed too short, yet too slow as they waited in the elevators; getting off at the floor they were intended to go to.

The elevator doors opened, revealing a blockade of the elder wolves, looking nervous and anxious. The children were no where in sight and Gary sighed a soft note, mixed with defeat and sorrow. Evelynn stood at the front of the assembled wolves, her graying hair falling about her face in a manner that made her seem regal and firm in whatever she was about to say.

“Take me instead Gary. I can take the blame for this.”

“You know I can’t.”

“I won’t let you take the boy, he’s just a boy Gary.” She plead, her words choked and thick.

“Please don’t make this any harder than it has to be Evelynn.”

“You’re not getting him without a fight.”

“Where is Ian?” Gary’s voice had become detached and cold as his jaw set into a stubborn line. Evelynn never got the chance to respond as a resounding snarl echoed about behind her and shoving his way past a few wolves a brunette boy stood in front of them, blue eyes filled with fear yet attempting to appear brave.

“Here I am.” Mila’s heart wrenched to see how small this boy was, and if she had to guess hardly ten. “I won’t let anyone else get hurt.” Pale lip trembled as he attempted not to cry and Mila had to admire his valiant efforts to remain calm in the face of potential death. Nodding silently Gary held out one of his hands to the child.

“Come on then Ian. You’ve got to go to isolation for now.” The boy nodded and turning to Evelynn threw his arms around her frail and shaky frame.

“Don’t worry about me ‘Lynn. I’ll be ok. Look after Elisa for me. Ok?” The woman nodded tears brimming in those chocolate depths as she gave his head a final pat.

“Ok. You be good now ok boy?” Ian just nodded silently as he walked to the waiting Gary and Mila. Feeling the tension to be wholly smothering the young nurse did her best to remain calm, under Gary’s previous advice. If she got worked up that could work the young boy up as well. Silently and stoned faced Ian trudged onto the elevator, holding himself in a regal manner.

Mila didn’t try to soothe him with empty promises or lies; instead she took his hand and did her best to calm him through touch. She may not be part of his pack, but wolves seemed to relish in physical contact. At first he was startled and flinched though as he calmed the werewolf squeezed Mila’s hand as tight as he dared. The elevator ascended to the medical floor where Mila knew that Ian would be kept under watch until they decided what was to be done with him.

As the trio stepped off the elevator into the hallway there was quiet buzz as people watched as Mila led the young boy to the isolation room, located at the very end of the hall. As they approached Ian’s breathing hitched and quiet tears splashed down flushed cheeks as the door was open and Gary waited for him to walk into the room.

“I’m scared.” It was the first time that Ian had spoken since going with Gary and Mila. Crouching down by the young boy the raven haired woman pushed a few strands of rich, brown hair off his forehead and gave him a small smile.

“I know and you’re being so brave.”

“It wasn’t my fault! He was hurting Elisa.”

“Is that your sister?” Nodding silently as more tears rushed like a powerful stream from those blue eyes the child seemed incapable of speech. “You were so strong, trying to protect her. I know she appreciates it. And I’m gonna do the best I can to get you out of this.” Ian nodded and threw his arms around the curvy nurse’s neck burying his face there. Holding him and patting his back in a gentle manner as Gary stood by the door Mila let him cry himself out; until his small body shook with empty sobs, and his breath was forced into hiccups.

“There, calm down now Ian. We’ll be ok?” Nodding quietly at Gary’s words as he wiped his face the small child sunk down onto the floor of the barren room eyes downcast and shoulders slumped. It broke Mila’s heart to leave him there, but she was determined to get him out of the death sentenced waiting to be leveled onto him. As soon as she exited the room, with a quiet promise to come back the nurse squared her shoulders with a destination in mind.

Jane. She had to go to Jane and plead on the small boy’s case. As he must of sensed her resolve Gary said nothing, instead grumbled he was going to check on Pete and that he’d let Mila do whatever she wanted. Hurrying to the elevators she noticed that there was a commotion outside the room where the bitten guard had been kept; though figuring that she didn’t have much time ignored it and instead promptly let herself into the elevator. Taking calming breaths Mila strode out onto Jane’s floor; and found the woman inside her office. She looked up with a small and almost taunting smile.

“Mila, what can I do for you?”

“Ian. He’s just a kid you can’t seriously be considering labeling him as Feral?”

“The boy has killed someone. He’s dangerous. Age is not a factor.” Disbelief, so potent that it made the small woman’s stomach curl took ahold of her. The guard had died? Struggling to remain in control of herself the raven haired nurse nervously licked her dry lips, the sickly lily smell that hung about Jane’s office giving her a headache; muddying her thoughts.

“He’s just a kid. The guard was going after his sister and he tried to protect her. Help him learn how to control himself.”

“What’s done is done Mila. He’s killed someone, that man had a family. Newborn baby and a wife who will never get to see her husband come home.”

“I don’t… I don’t understand. What do you mean ‘What’s done is done?” Jane simply pursed her lips and stood from behind her desk coming to stand a few inches away from Mila with a disapproving stare.

“Ian has taken a life; therefore he’s been taken care of.” Ice filled Mila’s belly as her emerald eyes widened with fear.

“You… Have you killed him?!” Her pitch rose to a sharp note as the nurse did all she could to restrain herself. Almost in a pleased manner Jane glanced down at her watch before raising her grey and indifferent eyes back to Mila’s outraged and heartbroken stare.

“Yes. He’s been taken care of.” She couldn’t of been here for more than fifteen minutes! She had… She had promised she’d go back! That she’d protect him, and feeling a desolate wave of anger, fear, revolt, and helplessness Mila could feel bile raise in the back of her throat.

“You, are a despicable human being.” She hissed, choler and outrage clear.

“Watch your tongue. You may think you’re safe working for Gary but remember at the end of the day I employ you. I will not tolerate being spoken to like that. Now if you don’t mind leaving my office I have a phone call to make.” The fact that she sounded completely undisturbed by the fact she’d killed a child trying to protect his sister sent chills racing down Mila’s spine. Without saying anything further Mila spun on her heel rushing from the room that was beginning to represent everything that she hated about this place. Hands trembling while unshed tears burned hotly behind her eyelids Mila without thinking once more boarded the elevator; this time pressing the basement level.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry for the long wait! I've just been so busy lately but; here it is. The next chapter is already in the works! Please subscribe and comments are always appreciated, appreciated greatly at that ;)