Status: Active- with muse

Flip

Coffee and Frustration

Slowly she descended, and trying to compose herself took deep, steadying breaths. It was sickening what she had just witnessed and as soon as the doors open she hurried towards the one place that never seemed to fail in cheering her up; Patrick’s cell. If the wolves could sense she was in a terrible, and desolate mood no one said anything; even Anthony for which Mila was silently grateful for. With quaking hands Mila managed to open the door to Patrick’s cell; and she found him already on his feet giving her concerned looks.

“Mila what’s wrong? Is Pete ok?” He became a little panicky at this, those beautiful changeling pools of color watching her as she slammed the door shut. Without saying anything she rushed to him, and without fully thinking her actions out, she threw her arms around his neck sniffling pathetically. Mila felt him stiffen, then gently put his arms around her; as if he were afraid of breaking her. Finding the haven she'd been seeking out in his touch and overall presence Mila relaxed slightly; giving her the strength she needed to voice her failure and disgust the nurse mumbled into his chest, with a shaky and quavering voice.

“They just killed a ten year old boy. I tried, I really did try to stop it ‘Trick.” She couldn’t see his expression, but the way his hands stiffened from their resting place on her hips Mila could only guess on how he was reacting to this news. Unable to explain herself any further the nurse simply melted into the alpha’s careful embrace. One hand was rubbing soothing circles into her back while the other just rested on her hip in a stoic manner while he murmured quiet low words to her. They were gentle, sweet nothings really, that Mila felt she didn't deserve.

“It wasn’t your fault. You have to calm down before you give yourself an asthma attack or something ok? Shh, just breathe. I’m here I swear that everything is going to be alright. You did everything you possibly could of in a terrible, horrible, unjust, and cruel situation.” Bringing her fists to curl in the surprisingly soft fabric of his shirt Mila focused on listening to his voice and found that it was indeed calming her down. Her silent tears subsided, leaving smudged eyeliner and mascara to blacken the skin around her eyes. Backing up a little the alpha gave her a grave look before attempting to wipe it off.

“It was Ian. Some idiot guard was from what I understand manhandling his sister and he tried to intervene and ended up biting the guard. His body couldn’t handle the Change I guess and he died. I was pleading with Jane to let him live, just to teach him control and she told me that he’d already been put down. In the span of fifteen minutes they killed a little boy. Who just needed to be taught self-control.” Wiping the last of her makeup away Patrick hung his head, though not before Mila caught the flash of red signaling he was “wolfing out”.

“You did everything you could. I can only imagine how his family will take it.” The brokenness in his voice was devastating and backing up Patrick sat back down on his bed, running his hands through his thick blonde hair. The news had obviously disturbed and upset him so taking a seat beside him the nurse mumbled a soft apology under her breath. Jerking up Patrick shook his head in a fierce motion. “Don't’ apologize. You’ve done everything you could Mila.”

With a mere child dead; it didn’t feel like Mila had done everything she could of done. Perhaps she could of convinced Jane, or helped Ian in some way that wouldn’t of ended with his death. Guilt hung heavy on her face as Patrick let a heavy sigh escape his lungs, and rested one of his warm and large hands on Mila’s head. Glancing up at him the nurse found that he looked thunderous, discouraged, and dumbfounded all at once. Quietly Mila brushed against him, letting the alpha know that she was there. After a few moments of staying together like that Mila sighed standing up.

“I’m sure there’s going to be a shitstorm to deal with with calming wolves down. I should go see if I should help.”

“Yeah.” Patrick agreed reluctantly; as if he didn’t want her to go. And she wanted to stay; those shifting and breath-taking eyes sliently pleaded for her to stay, and glancing at her hands the woman just sent him one last smile, before wiping her eyes of any remaning makeup smudges or tears. However as she opened the door, and heard Patrick slump back down with a sigh. Andy and Joe's words echoed like a cauterwaul in her head that wolves healed best with their pack. She didn't know if that was strictly physical healing, or mental healing, but it couldn't of hurt.

"Patrick." The alpha looked up at her with this large and heartbreakingly hopeful stare; as if she'd recant and say she'd stay. "I know that a pack should be together when one of them hurt- and a pack isnt' a pack without an alpha." Giving him a watery and fragile smile Patrick nodded somberly.

"Of course." With those two words he was by her side, and she noticed that his hand twitched as if it wasn't sure if it should be resting on her or by his side. As it fell motionless again it appeared the alpha had chosen the later, and as the door opened the nurse heard a deafening silence. Pausing uneasily Mila hung her head, assuming everyone had heard what was going on.

"It's not your fault." The pair had been half-way to the elevators when Gerard's smooth and dry voice spoke out; bordering on fury and a contrived note of empathy. "It's just protocall. Or so they tell me."

"Thank you." Mila whispered, not believing him for a moment. She should of done something; anything. Perhaps if she had scraped up the evidence that Ian hadn't truly meant for the man to die, Jane would of come to her senses.

"You should be with your pack." Gerard spoke once more, and stiffining Mila was confused and asumming that he meant it for Patrick just shook her head.

"I'm bringing him there." They had stopped near his cell, as it was the closest to the elevators that would bring them to the surely chaotic medical bay. Gerard made an impatient huffing noise but before he could speak the blonde and protective alpha broke in.

"Thanks for the concern." It was an obvious and hard cue for Gerard to shut up and chancing a glance at Patrick she found his eyes had slitted into a narrowed gaze, and before much else could be said he impatiently hit the button for the elevator. Wondering what had set him so on edge the nurse said nothing instead focused on anything but Ian. She knew that this would haunt her for years to come; if not the rest of her life. It was only her first "Feral" wolf, and she shuddered to think of what the other wolves she'd have to put down; and how many of them would be innocent as Ian had. Listlessly she stepped onto the elevator and Patrick stood a little closer to her than he normally did, their hands occasionally brushing. The ride was silent and terse as they stepped into the sterile looking medical bay; and Mila felt sick at the jubilent and satisfied atmosphere of the medical bay.

A couple of doctors were in a group and talking about going out for drinks, and feeling her stomach turn Mila was about to say something when the blonde's gentle grip led her past the group, and swiftly to Grent's room where the rest of the guys were. Throwing him a quizzical stare, that was tainted slightly with outrage, Patrick just shook his head. "Don't. You'll just upset yourself more; they're not worth it." Grumbling as he opened the door, nudging her inside the petite nurse found that the wild-haired doctor was nowhere in sight while Pete, Andy, and Joe were mumbling softly to one another under their breaths. They stopped though when they heard the door opened, and looking slightly panicked relaxed as their gazes fell onto a red-eyed Mila and stoned faced Patrick.

"Hey man." Andy greeted softly from his spot near Pete as Mila strode into the room; going to check Pete's wounds.

"Hey." No one seemed willing to talk about the elephant in the room and being of Irish heritage Mila found that reason enough not to be the one to bring it up. Instead she did what she knew best, fixing up patients. With brisk steps Mila hurried to Pete's side and leaned over his exposed and gauze wrapped stomach, while he avoided her gaze. Yet he didn't spit harsh words at her while she worked, instead lay silent and compliant under her gentle hands. The stitching had healed up remarkably and shaking her head the nurse glanced at Patrick.

"He's almost fully healed. I'll actally have to take the stitches out now."

"Good 'cause they were getting really itchy." Pete stated with a confident glee, that took Mila by surprise. She had expected an insult; or maybe even physical harm after their last conversation.

"Good sign. Don't worry." While it wasn't as happy as it normally was, Mila did try to sound a little more chipper than she was feeling. Removing a pair of small scissors from the dawer they were contained in and making careful cuts; the nurse began removing the black sutures from Pete's stomach. A small groan of relief was dragged from him once the last one was out and sitting up gazed at the fading cut.

"I'm gonna get him back for this." He stated in a deadly serious tone while Patrick's face dropped to one of disbelief.

"What? Pete look at you! You were all torn up. What were you even going on about this time?" A flush of color broke out on Pete's cheeks as he avoided his alpha's gaze.

"Nothing, Forget it."

"Tell me." There was a note of command that Mila hadn't really ever heard Patrick use with anyone before. Let alone Pete.

"He was making comments about you and your pack. I think you can put two and two together."

"Well... Ignore it." Patrick mumbled, seemingly remorseful now at being upset with the man in the first place. As Mila studied him, trying to figure out what was going on; she noted that a red flush had broken on his cheeks and just like the dawn breaking, the redness had spread to the tip of his ears. "Just let it be. I know what I'm doing."

"Oh? Do you? That's the funniest thing I've heard all day; including Mila trying to order me around." At this Patrick growled, his eyes flashing red and it was obvious that he was not in the mood to put up with Pete; and the bitterness and sarcasm that the young wolf normally spat at everyone.

"I'm the alpha around here Pete. I decide what goes and we've discussed this. You know my answer."

"No, no, no You’ve told me what’s going to happen. There was no discussion. You're just putting her in danger." Emphasizing his point, Pete jabbed his thumb in Mila's general direction; causing the beautiful woman to go completely still.

"I can protect her." At this Pete snorted and sat up, carefully and almost absent-mindedly tracing the fading shape of the wound on his stomach.

"You're so deluded by whatever it is that's making you act like this you think you can protect her. When you're out of your cage sometimes yeah you can. But not always. Not nearly enough. It's not fair to her. Even if I were blind I can see how her co-workers treat her. How they eye her with suspicion and it's not fair to pit her against the humans; just like last time Patrick." Mila was frozen with shock, whatever was going on seemed intense as flashes of rage, fear, and determination broke out on Patrick's face; while Pete remained stoically apathetic glaring at the blonde. Both seemed determined and steadfast in different regards; yet it was Patrick that Mila found herself fearing the most.

He seemed to be struggling to keep himself in control; which never happened. Whatever Pete was referencing was bringing up a rather sore nerve for the young, blonde alpha. Pete however, seemed almost cautious and as if sensing Mila's hesitant and bewildered fear slid off the examination table to take a tentative step in front of her. Seeing the bitten wolf's reflection in the door's window Mila's breath caught at what she saw. Whiskey colored eyes flashed a beautiful and rich golden orange color, as if in a warning; jarring Patrick out of whatever it was that he was struggling to control. A breath that the small nurse didn't realize she'd been holding was released, and from her spot behind Pete, Mila could make out the stiffness of his shoulders. Glancing behind her she also noticed how Andy and Joe had come to stand near her; their posture stiff and alert at some point.

Patrick on the other hand seemed completely shaken. His face paled to an ashen degree when he saw Mila's wide eyed stare; and his posture, aggressive and angry only moments ago, had sagged and shrunken into something more timid and shameful. His intoxicating gaze was riveted onto the floor in front of him and Mila felt a stir of pity. Any trace of that alpha red color had bled from his iris’ leaving only a dull greyish color behind. He clearly hadn't meant to frighten her but whatever it was that got him riled up; she assumed it wasn’t for her to know. Instead Patrick let out a long and frustrated sigh reverting his gaze back to Pete; and it held a depth of warning and anger.

“I know what I’m doing. It won't be like last time.”

“Whatever. When this all blows up in your face; don’t expect any pity out of me.” The curiosity was gnawing Mila from the inside and hesitantly she peeked her head from behind Pete.

“Sorry but what’s going on? As if both men had forgotten she was there their gazes snapped towards her and Pete just crossed his arms with a huff. Patrick however, bit his lip and seemed to be wavering with something; struggling to decide if to tell her. “And don't you dare tell me it's none of my business. It clearly is and I'd like to know.” While Mila wasn’t fully rude, or even demanding there was a firmness that her voice held; while her lips twisted into a small frown.

“Pete’s all healed. I can go back to my unit now.” Patrick finally sighed, after minutes of a tense and awkward silence. The nurse threw her hands up with a certain spark of annoyance that caused Patrick's face to droop. Instead of looking like the fierce alpha that Mila knew he could be; he seemed demure and down-trodden. Feeling as if she'd taken away a puppy's favorite toy the curvy raven haired woman softened her own facial expressions, "Patrick, if something's wrong you can tell me."

Opening his mouth once more the man looked pathetically torn about what to do, though Pete had enough. "If Patrick gets to go back to his own cell I wanna go back to mine." Petulance and ire colored his words and once more Mila felt she was nothing more than a fancy babysitter. "Pete, you have to stay here for observation." Grumbling under his breath Pete slowly turned around, no longer shielding her and made his way to his cot. "I hate being here." Deciding that he'd contribute to the conversation Joe spoke up as well.

"Well it's like isolation for wolves. Even though we may not be alpha's being near the pack is incredibly important to us. We'll feel cut off, and alone. We're social creatures Miss Nurse." Ending with a cheeky grin, the lycanthrope yawned, weariness reflecting in his eyes.

Faltering, glancing around the broken pack; trying to appear as gelled and formed as they ever were, the nurse felt as if she couldn’t leave them like that. “Look you guys stay here. Pete, since you’ve got so much energy to spend come with me.” He looked dubious, and his honey golden eyes were trained on her form with a certain scrutiny that left goosebumps on her arms. Standing up the man lazily approached her, as if circling before going in for a kill. “You want my company? Hnn.” He remarked, and making his way towards the door gave Patrick a rather smug expression. The alpha, looked cautiously concerned and mumbled, “Mila, I wanna go back to my cell.”

Turning to face him, ignoring the rather fractious tone of voice the nurse shook her head. She was too tired, too drained mentally and emotionally to actually put on a smile. “No. You’re staying here tonight. Whatever’s going on isn’t going to be solved by ignoring each other.” Joe cackled from the corner of the medical examination room, and flinching at the sound the nurse swung her gaze onto him. “Is there a problem?” Undeterred by her annoyance the wolf nodded.

“Besides the obvious that Patrick is supposed to be in his cell for role-call in-” Tilting his head for a moment Mila was once again struck by the strange internal clocks they all seemed to possess. “-Ten minutes? If he’s not there someone’s gonna come get him; and you don’t want to deal with that.”

Pursing her lips Mila raised an eyebrow challengingly. “I’ll simply say Patrick is too distraught over the recent events; Pete being attacked, Ian being put to death, to be put in his own cell.” There was a quiet admiration rolling from Joe’s expression as he tilted his head.

“And us? We’ve got rollcall as well.” This time gesturing to Pete hovering by the door Mila replied rather coolly, flatly.

“Simple, Pete was being a handful and as he needed to stay overnight for observation the only way he agreed was if he could be with you three.” Grinning Andy raised his hazel luminous orbs and mumbled, for the first time all night, in a rather shy and withdrawn tone, “Thank you Mila. But what about you?” Ignoring the latter part of his question Mila motioned for Pete to open the door and was shocked at the near emptiness of the medical ward. Most of the lights had been dimmed or turned off and it gave an eerie glow to the place.

Every horror movie that Mila had in bad taste watched, flooded her as she glanced behind her shoulder. “We’ll be back. Stay here.” Opening his mouth to protest, and stepping forward Patrick looked rather uncomfortable with whatever Mila was scheming. “Relax.” She assured, before closing the door. Leading Pete down the hall the nurse found him to be unusually quiet and stoic. His face was impassive and his eyes were lowered towards the floor with something that appeared akin to submission.

“Things are going to get really rough Mila.” His voice, quiet and subdued caught her attention and glancing behind her shoulder the curvy, ebony haired nurse felt a bit concerned.

“What do you mean?”

“Do you think that they’re going to just lay back and take it when they killed a kid?” Ice slid through her veins as Mila paused her step stilling for a moment. Pete, nearly walking into her glared her down with a look of revolt.

“Pete, you can’t do anything stupid. You’re already on thin ice.” He said nothing, and biting back a groan Mila threw a rather pointed look and continued on her way. Pete, unsatisfied with the silence that had stretched between them spoke up again.

“Where are we going? If you murder me Patrick’s gonna be upset.” Cracking a smile the nurse rolled her eyes.

“Pete, you’re helping me carry coffee back to the pack. That’s all.”

Narrowing his eyes Pete exhaled in an obnoxious manner. “You know, there’s things going on right now that you can’t understand.” Slanting her eyes Mila bit back a rather snappy reply; she felt that lately, Patrick and the rest of the pack had been hiding things; actually as of now she knew they were hiding things from her. It unnerved the curvy nurse and Mila wondered what exactly they were keeping from her. Frowning Pete offered a flashing tilt of his prominently pink lips that may of qualified as a smile; though it was too quick for Mila to truly discern. "Don't worry it's nothing… It's nothing to concern yourself over." Her heels clacked sharply against the linoleum flooring, and making her way to the staff room Mila pointed towards a cabinet above the sink.

"Get four cups." With that she set to work on locating the coffee pot, and the grinds to brew; while Pete obediently laid out the mugs. Silence was broken only by the coffee pot gurgling with it's promise of caffeine. The lights here were dim, and a single lamp glowed dully from a corner. It's yellowish light wasn't quite enough to cover the entire room with it's worn out shine.

"You're not bad for a human Mila."

"And you're not bad for a wolf with a stick up his ass." Listening as the coffee was splurged into the pot Mila waited a few moments before going over, as the last of it's dark and rich liquid was spent into the pot, and picking it up brought it to the counter where Pete had lined up the mugs. "Can't you just tell me what's going on?" She finally asked, the curiosity exploding within her as the nurse finished pouring the freshly brewed beverage into the four cups.

"Patrick wouldn't like it."

"Patrick doesn't like it when you get into fights; yet you do that anyway. How is this different?" Letting out a frustrated sigh the taller man swung his honey orbs down to examine the nurse.

"Because it's about you. Patrick… Forget it, we're not talking about it."

"Who's Anna then?" This caused Pete's retreating form to stop mid-step as the nurse called helplessly after him. He slowly turned towards her, and this time instead of the rage that burned so brightly within him; there was shadows of sadness, guilt, and regret.

"I know what you're trying to do. Why don't you ask Patrick this stuff. He's the alpha and it's about time he took some responsibility for the shit he pulls. Then again, I have a feeling that if you really think you'll figure out what it is he's hiding." Pete's words, were filled with a vindication and annoyance that surprised her. "Am I in danger?" The thought was brief and swiftly dismissed. Whatever it was Patrick was hiding it didn't have to do with that. He protected her. In fact, now that Mila thought about it the alpha had really taken her under his wing.

She didn't have to worry about the other wolves, giving her a hard time. Even with her human co-workers, Patrick tried to shield the nurse from their comments. Where she lacked friends with humans; he provided her with friends in the wolves. When the humans gave her an obvious lack of respect, Patrick’s pack for the most part gave her just the respect she didn’t get from her co-workers. He gave her a place to fit in, and most of all he listened. He listened to her horror stories of moving in, how her mother nagged her to move back to Boston to get a “reputable” job. He had truly treated her as an equal and friend; there was no way he’d keep something from her if he thought it’d harm the raven haired nurse.

Sensing her panic Pete sent her a sickly sweet smile; and grabbing two of the steaming coffee mugs with ease headed back towards the examination room. In Pete’s wake, it left the pale skinned woman, with her sharply contrasting night colored hair to ponder upon what ‘Trick and the rest of the pack was keeping from her. Frowning and glancing at the two mugs left on the counter she stood stockstill for a moment trying to collect her thoughts. ”What’s going on Patrick? The young woman thought before picking up the coffee mugs, wincing as the hot glass heated her hands to uncomfortable temperatures. Hurrying down the eerie and empty hallways, Mila felt a sudden wave of exhaustion surge behind her eyes.

Yawning, the sound whispering off the sterile walls of the medical ward Mila made her way to the door of Grent’s examination room; only to find Patrick leaning against the wall. His eyes, were open and trained intently on her approaching figure and they held tibbets of remorse and guilt. “Mila, can we talk?” Scoffing and huffing loudly enough for him to hear the girl tilted her head, cocking an eyebrow in an accusatory manner.

“So now you want to talk?” There was a silence where Patrick approached her, holding his hands out as if to show he didn’t pose a threat to the strong willed nurse. A panging flared within her chest; reminding Mila of the first time she’d met the sweet-tempered alpha.

“There are plenty of things you don’t know about Summick. I’m just trying to protect you, like I’ve been doing.” Disbelief swirled over Mila and stepping forward, narrowing her eyes and now dangerously close to Patrick all but growled.

“Protecting me? From what? I have a right to know Patrick. And I’m getting sick of you hiding things from me.” Anger fell from her voice, replaced by a quavering sadness that struck within her eyes. She wanted to trust him; but if Patrick was intent on hiding things from her, than Mila wasn’t sure she could.

“Mila wait-” Patrick began to say, reaching out to gently grab her arm though without thinking the woman jerked her arm back from. Coffee, still steaming splashed onto the exposed skin of her hand and crying out, the nurse dropped both mugs to the floor. A shattering sound resounded through the empty hallway, and shaking her hand trying to rid it of the burning excess liquid and hissing with pain she drew her now freed hands against the fabric of her jeans. It did little though; the skin was still red and burning. Tears swelled beneath her eyes and exhaling with pain she was dimly aware of Patrick asking if she was ok.

“Does it look like I’m ok?” She snapped, groaning at the mess that she’d made. “Stay away from the glass.” Before she’d taken two steps however, Patrick’s hands had gently closed around her burning hand. Curiously, she watched as the alpha closed his eyes; and it was a distant reminder of how Andy and Joe had stayed by Pete’s bedside to heal him. Before she was able to ask what was going on, the burning sensation in her hand subsided, and Patrick’s eyebrows were furrowed and she noticed his jaw was clenched.

Unable to voice her confusion she felt her eyes were drawn to his hand. There, she saw a red mark flaring upon the pale skin; like a harbinger to suspicions that Mila felt were now confirmed. Glancing at her own hand she found that even the redness of the previously damaged skin was gone; evaporating the way the sun chases away shadows. A few moments later Patrick pulled away his large, warm hands, keeping his gaze down and averted. Struggling to form a question, a sentence, anything, Patrick beat her to it.

“Mila, you are my pack. But there are a lot of dangers and drawbacks. One you know socially you’ll be ousted; made into an outcast and thrust onto a pedestal of resentment and fear. There are others, but I just need a little more time to figure out how to explain it to you.”