Status: Active- with muse

Flip

Secondhand Smoke

"Don't you ever say that again." Pete hissed at her, his chocolatey eyes flashing that rich golden color at her. Blanching the woman, headstrong, shook her head.

"Someone needs to do it. This isn't right." To her surprise Andy backed Pete up, with his firm and gentle voice.

"Not you. It's too dangerous Mila." Glaring she gestured to Patrick, her movements wild and tight with anger.

"Look at him! Look at yourselves! Tonight-" Her voice broke, and to her disgust she found her voice thickening, tightening with unshed tears.

"You were scared weren't you?" Pete asked, sounding uncharacteristically soothing. She said nothing, just stood frozen and stoic. Her face had hardened into a mask of apathy as the nurse forced herself to take deep breaths. "Had I? Had I been scared?" Even as that thought crept across her mind images of Patrick broken and bleeding on the floor, his body terrifyingly still under Allen's boots elevated her heartbeat and brought knots to her stomach. Of course she was scared. Though she wasn't sure if this was a trick question on Pete's part and refused to answer. She didn't need to though apparently as he informed her in a voice that seemed to try calming but sounded rather contrived and uncomfortable. "Mila, if you try to do anything, and I mean anything, they will take everything from you. You'll be fired at best, never to see us again. You could be arrested, put to jai at worse. And any wolf caught helping you… They'll be put down on the spot."

The other two hummed their soft agreement, their eyes weary and defeated bringing bile to her throat. She wanted to help them, the vast majority of wolves here did not deserve what Summick was doing to them. She was caught between a hard place, and an impossible one. All she wanted was to improve their conditions, to see them granted the human rights that they deserved. Their government would be all over Summick if the detained wolves here were humans.

"I can't not do anything." Joe walked over, clasping a hesitant yet caring hand on Mila's shoulder. His eyes said it all, heavy and somber; devoid of hope. There was nothing they could do, and that enraged the small nurse. There had to be something, seeing 'Trick… There he lay, his clothes still bloodstained while every so often he would whimper in his sleep. During her time with Summick, Mia had seen quite a bit of the brutality that they tended to show their wolves; the beatings and plenty of times Patrick had been at the receiving end of it; though never like this. The three were quietly watching the nurse as she fiercely rubbed at her eyes; still brimming with unshed tears. "I can't just work here and not try. Because then in thirty years, I'll just be another Grent! With all these regrets and watching all these people die and never, ever doing anything about it!" Her rant ended with a small snarl of rage and frustration, her sides heaving as Mila's eyes flickered over towards Patrick. "He has done everything for you guys, and for me. And you guys… you've been great to me even if I didn't always understand that. I can't just leave you in here to rot."

"What happens when they catch you and put you on trial, sentence you to death for this because it is a capital crime, and where does that leave us? Leave him?" Andy demanded his multicolored eyes narrowed as he jerked his chin towards Patrick. "They have done a lot of things to him; but that would break him. To loose a pack member? Mila you don't understand- to be pack is to be one. We can't be one if you're dead. Where do you think the term feral wolf came from? It was when the first war between wolves and humans began, when we revealed ourselves in hopes that everyone could just be fucking friends. But the humans were scared and began slaughtering the wolves by droves, many wolves lost their whole packs, their mates, and went insane. They are the ones that humans fear, the ones that humans say nearly cost them the war. They have lost everything and that would make anyone go insane. In nature, if a wolf's pack and mate are fine and in tact "feral" wolves are incredibly rare. Anyway, that's what a true feral wolf is. Does that make a little more sense why you should have some care of what you do? Because it will affect all of us." Andy's rant was urgent and quiet; opening Mila's eyes. She'd been told growing up that feral wolves were just what wolves turned into. Been told there was really no scientific manner of figuring out what a feral wolf was; yet Andy had explained it in fifteen minutes.

"I'm beginning to really, really resent humans." Pete smiled, and reaching out ruffled Mila's hair; causing the woman to go wide eyed and still as he withdrew from her. It was so reminiscent of Patrick; Mila had no idea if he knew or not.

"Well, at least you know human's aren't the victim they love to play." The raven haired Beta assured as he gently guided her to Dr.Grent's empty desk chair. "Go ahead, take a nap we'll wake you up if anything happens don't worry." Mila's eyes were heavy and puffy from her earlier crying. But a deep reluctance ran deep through her veins as she shot Patrick another helpless glance. She didn't want to leave him, even if it was only to sleep. There was something about him that looked helpless and vulnerable; due to her mistake. Guilt clogged her lungs and furiously Mila shook her head. However Pete, tightening his grip firmly forced Mila down into the chair. "He's out like a light. If he so much as stirs I swear I will call you. Ok?" As her back collided with the soft, plush, back of the chair Mila could feel her body fighting her mind's need to stay awake and keep a close eyes on her alpha. Andy smiling at her resolve walked over, perching on the top of the desk his eyes kind.

"Just sleep. What good will you be if you're dead on your feet. It's nearly four now. You've been awake for quite awhile." At his words Mila's eyelids grew heavier than they had been and an unwilling yawn slipped past her lips. Logically she knew they had a point. Patrick was just resting, and if something happened they would know,a nd they would know to wake her up. Nodding and placing her head on an unoccupied desk space Mila's eyes fluttered shut.

"Don't let me sleep through anything." The men nodded compliantly as the nurse closed her eyes. Sleep wasn't the problem; it came very quickly, it was the images her brain seemed determined to show her things that left her torn between a dream, and a reality.

A cluster of trees surrounded her, strange woodland animals calling out to each other as the nurse pushed herself off the forest floor. "What… Where?" She stammered, feeling a rising tide of panic in her throat. From a distance a howl could be heard; the eery notes ascending to the stars that shone above her head. A cool air rose goosebumps on her arms as the nurse crossed her arms; heart beating quickly with an unnamable anticipation. From the thick cluster of trees the sharp gunshot like noise of a dry twig cracking had her backing away from the trees calling out in a trembling voice "Who's there?!"

A soft laughter floated towards the woman; though it soothed her. There was no malice in that laugh, just simple unadulterated amusement, laughing as though what she demanded was of entertainment. A figure, hardly visible through the darkness and shadows began to step closer; their footfalls making no sounds against the layer of pine needles against the ground. Fear turned to curiosity as she craned her neck forward; trying to get a better look at the person who was emerging.

"Dear, you don't need to be scared; you called out to me. I simply answered your soul's calling." It was a deep, rich voice, silky and calming; the kind that Mila would of liked to listen to all day.

"I'm dreaming. This is just… This is just a figment of my imagination."

"Yes and no. You're sleeping but it's more than that. You're mind has opened a pathway that allows me to walk here. Should at any point you wish me to take my leave; I will leave." His words were confusing leaving Mila with a vague feeling of annoyance.

"Well if I'm so troubled then what is it about?" At this the man's eyes twinkled, and he stepped into view nearly taking the girl's breath away. His figure was tall and muscular, a mop of golden curly hair framed a sharp and alabaster pale face. Honest sapphire eyes were set in sun kissed skin, while his lips were turned into an impish grin. It was as if he were goading her to think of whatever he was referring to. Pursing her lips, ignoring the breeze that stirred her hair like a warm summer's caress Mila shook her head. Whatever the thought was, it felt important but eluding her; something so tangible yet just out of reach.

"It's ok Mila, take your time. There's no rush, in fact it's been decades since this sort of thing has happened. You're special, rare." The almost reverent way he spoke rose goosebumps on Mila's arms, the wind that felt so warm before taking on a chill; ominous and undeniable.

"What do you mean special?" Her voice, softer and more hesitant than she'd of liked sounded almost afraid in the stagnant dreamscape she felt trapped in.

"You can do things no other humans can do, few wolves can do either. Not human but the heart of a wolf… That's something seen only once in a millennium my dear." There were no sounds. No birds calling nor creatures stirring in the forest. The intensity of this man's aegean gaze made the girl caught beneath the ever approaching fang of the predator that lurked beneath his skin.

"I'm… I'm… I'm me." She finally stammered, unconsciously taking steps away from this sandy, curly haired man. "I'm Mila and that's all. I'm not some special freak. I'm human." For some reason that she couldn't quite give creation to, this man scared her. There was something in his steps, his voice that made Mila instantly distrust him. Her voice fell about her, like the broken pleading it probably was. Everything felt too real; to the stiff orangey brown pine needles beneath her feet, the scent of pine so strong it was almost overpowering and this man in front of her.

"You don't have to fear me Mila, we want the same thing." The wolf assured, his voice low in an attempt to soothe her. It only had the opposite effect as Mila grimaced, drawing her lips back to reveal her teeth- as if snarling at him would have any effect. The wolf laughed, his eyes merry, "You have spirit. That's good you'll need it. It's about time for you Mila to scurry back to your alpha. However, I do have a task for you if you wish to figure out what tethered me to you; at least bring you the first step." There was something alluring in his voice, like a secret so tantalizing and ripe it was impossible to ignore.

Leaning forward, scarcely daring to breath Mila's bi-colored gaze seemed glued to this man's feral grace. In a way she was oddly reminded of Patrick, the way he spoke, a manner which so carefully hid the beast within his mind, that mind boggling and wild grace that was etched into every movement, every smile and hair-raising gaze. There was a sort of invisible electricity that cracked between the two in the empty clearing, surrounded by trees that proudly shot upwards, their thick green pine needles framing a pitch black sky; broken by the fullest of moons and a blanket of silvery merry looking stars.

"Look up Zøren Thørstbjer. I think you'll find the lore surrounding him intriguing." The man's smile, sweet as honey made her feel sick and amazed; the feelings swirling about her in a manner that left her with a dizzying headache. This wolf was far too intense for Mila to feel safe around, and as he stepped forward suddenly and without warning she sucked her breath in, scurrying backwards to try to escape his outstretched hand; his fingernails long, ragged, dirty claws. Feeling her back connect with a painful thud against the sturdy pine bark Mila flinched when she felt the claws trace her temple to her jawline. "Wake up now dear. Next time you want to talk, I'll come." With that she felt like she'd been shoved, an invisible force pushing against her stomach making the nurse gasp out, raven hair tumbling across her face and obscuring her vision.


The feeling of falling shortly followed and flailing she awoke with a start; her forehead drenched in sweat and feeling thoroughly disoriented. Gasping for breath she bolted upright; the first thing she became aware of was a cramping in her back. How long had she been out? Panting heavily to take a breath and trying to shake the odd dream the second thing she felt, was a stinging sensation from her temple to her jawline. Utterly perplexed, she raised her finger and finding no blood shrugged it off as an overactive imagination. Surely that… That had been a dream. The entirety of the time Mila had been dreaming she'd been in Grent's office, the faint scent of antiseptic subtly taking over her nose, making her crinkle it.

Leaning back, flinching when her back cracked a couple times the curvy soot-haired woman was surprised to hear a quiet worn-down voice.

"Did you sleep well?" Turning around she found Patrick, sitting on the edge of the examination table; though his eyes narrowed with surprise. "What happened to your face. You've got a welt." As if to show her, he traced the outline on his own face, and sure enough it was a line from his jaw to his temple. Feeling panicky the nurse shrugged.

"Don't know, but I had a really weird dream. Did I miss much?" He looked reluctant to meet her gaze though finally conceded his silence.

"A lot of meetings. Gary came in about an hour ago. It's not good." Ice washed throughout her veins, and the nurse straightened her back, getting up to quickly walk in front of her alpha.

An icy dread filled her voice as she spoke, "'Trick, what do yo mean? What meetings?"

"About you. What to do. Whether or not they should fire you, or suspend you without pay for a little while." Of course her incident wouldn't of gone unnoticed, Jane would probably jump at the chance to fire her. Feeling despair rip apart her heart she gave a soft moan, pushing her head into Patrick's shoulder. It was her first instinct, and just breathing in his clean and smoky soap brought her a little comfort. It was even more of a comfort when he relaxed, wrapping Mila in a hug that made her feel untouchable, like nothing bad could happen. "From what I've been able to pick up from Gary, Jane's mad that you didn't alert somebody we'd be out of our cage but other than that is pissed that Allan used too much force."

Surprise of the deepest kind left Mila's head feeling a little befuddled. "Sorry what? I thought-" Unable to finish her sentence due to her throat closing, Mila's words were muffled by his shoulder.

"It's a political thing Mila. The wolves are already restless. There's been insults passed between wolves and guards. The guards have been using more force than usual and everyone is on edge. The official reason you gave for having us out of our cells for starters was that Pete was hurt and needed his pack, and I was too unstable to be left alone; and you figured the pack connection would do everyone good. I really don't like to exaggerate but my pack and I are pretty influential with the other inmates. To wrong us right now would cause an uproar. She can't afford that; I doubt she's happy but her hands are tied." Patrick calmly reiterated as he stroked her hair, while her face remained pressed into his shoulder.

Staying like that for a bit longer, her eyes closed with a sort of bliss that brought a bit of shame to her Mila pulled away her eyes twinkling brightly. "Well I guess I finally made my friends in high places. My mother was always stressing about that." Smiling back at her, though his pink lips seemed far more troubled than amused he took a deep breath.

"You smell weird." It was abrupt and out of the blue and leaning down to take a sniff of herself the obsidian haired nurse shrugged.

"I smell like skin."

"No, you smell like you've been hiking through the woods, and like another wolf. But not one I've ever smelled before." His voice was flat, and his eyes narrowed so subtly Mila was wondering if she was imagining it. Was he… Upset that she didn't smell like- well like whatever it was she normally did. Though as she replayed his words mentally she wondered what he could of possibly meant by another wolf.

"What do I smell like wolves now because I work here? Does everyone?" A red tinge that stained his cheeks and ears took ahold of her alpha's face as he cleared his throat.

"You smell like me. Because you're pack, I mean you smell like you too but you mostly smell like me. It's a thing wolves do…" He mumbled clearly embarrassed. Chuckling much to 'Trick's horror Mila shrugged unbothered.

"I get it. If I smell like you instead of a pathetic human- oh my god. Is that why everyone's been so nice to me?" Realization dawned on Mila as the blond offered a small grimace that she thought was supposed to be a smile.

In fact, it looked like he wanted to sink into the floor. "I… Kind of. Well wolves can get kind of territorial over things and if you smell like me than other wolves know you're in my pack. And people are mostly nice to you because you're a nice person." It was adorable the way his fingers tapped against his bony hips with a sporadic and nervous tempo, his blush only deepening. Feeling like there was something more Mila waved it off. Feeling merciful she switched subjects.

"How long have you been awake?" Sheepishly the blond rubbed the bad of his neck with a small grimace, the talk of scents gone.

"Close to six hours." Grent's come in and out and said to let you sleep. So that way you can go home and get some rest." About to scold him, six hours was a long time and if something had happened to 'Trick because she had been sleeping Mila wouldn't of forgiven herself. Sucking in a deep breath to begin lecturing the alpha he was saved by a short knock on the door, and without much warning it banged open to reveal her favorite surly beta. Pete stood there looking smug as he raised an eyebrow, and clearing his throat startled the little nurse. Squawking in the most unattractive manner she whirled around to find the smug beta there looking throughly pleased with himself.

"Finally you're awake. You sleep like the dead." A dull image of Patrick crumpled on the floor crossed her mind; making bile rise in her throat.

"Yeah well, after saving your ass it kind of drains me."

"Fair enough, you should have breakfast. I'll go get it.' Almost unnerved by Pete's kindness and apparent regret for finding her up and about Mila nodded, trying to mask her suspicion. Sure they were pack now, but… She thought that Pete hadn't wanted her in the pack. But, if he was willing to be friendly, than so was she. As soon as he had stuck his head in the door he was gone; and it dawned on Mila he was probably eavesdropping on the pair As he left however, Patrick turned his attention to her with a frown, pleasantries they were discussing before vanishing; and Mila had the feeling she was in for a lecture.

"That actually reminds me, what exactly has the pack been telling me? That you are, and I quote, going to bring Summick down." Realizing this had been a setup by the other three Mila huffed and crossed her arms suddenly desiring to be anywhere but here. This was a conversation she had been hoping to avoid yet with the stern expression Patrick was giving her the nurse doubted she'd get out of it; but it was worth a shot.

"I have work."

"Oh I think this takes precedence. I told Grent I had something to discuss with you and he told me to take my time. So what was it you were saying?"

"I said that I'm sick of how they treat you and it's going to stop. I'm gonna set everyone free." A vague sense of dejavu struck Mila and she couldn't shake the feeling that something important was being forgotten by her.

"As your alpha I'm telling you that no you're not actually. You're gonna do your job and forget ever saying that." Casting a glance over him the nurse felt a petulant need to disagree with him. Opening her mouth though, she found herself unable to speak. Glowering instead the two remained quiet, though Patrick softened first. "Look Mila, I appreciate your concern, I really do but it's too dangerous and if something happened to you I think… I think it would break me. And I'm being honest. You've been… unbelievable these few months." Seeing her expression he hurried to add, "In a good way of course!" Some of her anger dissipated, as the nurse fought with the fact that yes he was trying to protect her; but she was trying to protect him. Settling for an understanding nod she relented.

"I understand where you're coming from; but you need to know that if the opportunity comes that I can save you, everyone; I'm going to do it." Throwing his hands up and smiling with a rueful amusement the blond nodded slowly.

"Don't suppose I can stop you."

"Don't suppose you could." Patrick however did not look pleased. His lips were pressed into a thin line and his eyes were narrowed. The muscles in his pronounced and well-defined jaw twitched and jumped as he clenched his teeth; quietly seething. Guilt swirled in Mila's stomach as she searched for the right thing to say to him. The white in the sterile room felt suffocating as she remained quiet, the pair refusing to meet the other's eyes. Opening her mouth Mila found words escaped her and pushing back a stray and frazzled lock of her thick soot-colored hair, a nervous habit her fingers had.

"Look 'Trick I will be careful. I'm not going to put your pack in danger-" Hardly had the words fallen from her tongue in a thoughtless manner than did 'Trick cut her off in a frustrated voice, husky and gravely with a hardly suppressed anger.

"Danger? Us? Has it occurred to you Mila that I'm worried about you? No, of course not." The blond seethed his beautiful morphling eyes shifting between dark shades of greens and grays. They reminded the nurse of the great ocean waves and gave her a sense of feeling small; like she'd been swept up in his currents. "You're human and you are the weakest link of the pack. I have to protect you. If something goes wrong then who will be there for you?"

"So I'm just a chore for you? Ok, I understand. I have work Gary will escort you back to your cell when he's done doing whatever." So he was obligated to protect her? All the time they spent was because he had to? Unwilling to acknowledge the tears that thickened her throat the nurse chided herself silently as she made a break for the door. Of course he hadn't actually liked her, it'd just been his duty. Looking after the, how'd he put it? Weak link.

The words "Weak Link" rang about her head causing a sickening pit to pool into her stomach. Storming towards the door ignoring the alpha calling out to her as the curvy nurse flung the door open; her vision blurring. Nearly careening into Pete she felt her embarrassment rise as she avoided his gaze. Pushing past him, ignoring the tray of what she assumed was supposed to be breakfast for her. With blood pounding in her ears Mila scurried into the hallway of the medical wing, the countless doors and examination tables the only thing she'd allow herself to focus upon.

Had Patrick even wanted her in the pack? Or had she just been some charity case? She had thought that she'd found her niche; a place she really fit into. Refusing to let herself cry over this, this betrayal the curvy nurse hadn't even seen coming, she did the only thing that she knew how.

With a distant expression Mila hurried to the elder’s and children’s floor; feeling unnerved by how silent the building was today. It was almost as if there was a thick, tangible, breathing cloud of tension and anger that hung over Summick’s ceilings today; giving her a foreboding and ominous feeling.

Back stiff and sore from her unorthodox nap in Grent’s chair Mila ignored the looks shot at her by the nurses. Disgust, suspicion, anger, unease, and betrayal colored her co-workers gaze; alienating Mila further. ”Is there really nowhere I fit in? Taken in only by Patrick’s pity and cast aside from my peers?”

The tears she’d so valiantly fought back before threatened to rise once more as she hurried to the elevator, pressing her badge against the security check and all but fled into the elevator. It was so humiliating to find out that the entirety of the time she’d been here she’d just been Patrick’s charity case.

Taking deep breaths to compose herself in the small dingy space of elevator, the orangey lights flickering and giving her a headache it felt too soon she was at the children’s and elder’s floor; the doors dinging to let her know she’d arrived. Taking a deep breath to steel herself for whatever malcontent was running throughout this floor Mila wasn’t surprised to find the wolves all huddled together, young and old, their eyes closed and holding hands.

It was such a peaceful gesture that it took her off guard as she heard quiet sniffles of people crying. It was heart wrenching to watch and the guilt of being so helpless to stop Ian’s execution stung her, shredding at her stomach so potently wanted to vomit.

Before she could flee, go to the elevator and just find a quiet space, Evlynn’s head snapped up and her gaze fell upon the nurse, her eyes bloodshot and posture miserable. Quietly patting a little blonde girl’s hand directly to her left, she stood dipping her head shakily. It occurred to Mila that girl must of been Ian’s sister, the way her eyes were glazed and unresponsive to her surroundings didn’t escape her.

Clearing her throat the nurse hung her head, her shoulders going slack at Evlynn’s approach. “I just came to offer my condolences and my apologies. I should of tried harder. I should of known that Jane was going to act quickly.”

“Child, come sit with me. You look troubled.” Her voice was kind, nasally to an extent and warbled with age. Her face creased by many wrinkles did little to soften the edges of her determined frown, or the fire that burned in her eyes. Evlynn was the picture of grace and wisdom; and exhaling the nurse nodded.

Following her to an open chair in the corner of the large open room she spoke up again, “Evlynn is there anything I can do? Bring the kids some clothes, food? Anything?” A wizened smile slowly spread across her dark lips and with skin the color of mocha, she placed a wrinkled hand onto Mila’s arm.

“All you can do right now is just offer your support. That’s what everyone needs. However… I fear this will stir trouble with the younger alphas. Like Matthew... “ Her voice trailed off and pursing her lips she shook her head, sending her snow-white hair rustling about her angular face.

The dark green walls seemed almost like a sanctuary as Mila scuffled her feet against the hardwood floors nervously at Evlynn’s unease.

“Matthew? Brian and Jimmy’s alpha?” He did seem hot-headed from what she knew of him. Kind and attentive as the next alpha, but more posed for action and than some. Evlynn nodded, her bright green eyes reflective of worry.

“Two wrongs do not make a right. The last time… The last time that there was an all out war in the facility a lot of wolves died. And humans; which does nothing to help this monstrous image of our kind.” Eyes watering at this the elder alpha looked impossibly sad, to the point it was effecting Mila.

“I’m sorry. I hope there will be a swift resolution.” The nurse murmured, aware that many pairs of eyes were on her.

“I hope you don’t find this prudent dear… But what seems to be troubling you? Your scent is very telling.”

“It’s just some troubles I guess…” Reluctant to tell her what was actually happening, as Patrick had said not to tell humans though hadn’t said a thing about other wolves, it appeared it wasn’t enough for the elder alpha.

“Come now, has Patrick upset you? He’s such a sweet boy but he can be insensitive. That’s true of anyone but it hurts more coming from him right? Because he’s such a sweet child you don’t expect it. However all storms will pass. You two will make up. Gary keeps telling me how well you two get along.” Evlynn’s smile was so bright that it brought a small blush to the human’s cheeks.

“It’s not like that. I thought that we were friends but… But he’s just protecting me out of obligation.”

“Obligation? That’s odd…” Evlynn murmured, her lips pressing together to express her troubles with this statement.

“Why? Don’t wolves get the urge to protect weaker ones? Like the adults with children?”

“Just like a human we’re wired to protect our family, our loved ones. However it’s strange enough for an alpha to befriend an outsider the way you and Patrick have bonded, it should be his first instinct to protect his pack, but it’s stranger he thinks this is his duty.”

Confusion bubbled in the nurse’s chest the more she spoke with Evlynn in quiet hushed tones. “Why? I mean isn’t it natural?”

“Well… It can be. The things alpha’s are most likely to protect is territory, mate, pack, and children.” The sense of unease flowed through Mila’s veins. ”His wolf took pity on me. It’s only because of that. He said it himself. I’m the weakest link.”

“But we’re friends, at least I thought. But he only wanted to protect me.” It sounded horrible now that she said it aloud, but it was only a partial truth.

“I can’t speak to Patrick but alpha’s only want to protect things they care about. I’m the same way.”

“He only wanted to protect me because I’m the weak link of the pack. That’s what he said.” Mila finally exploded in a moment of impulsiveness that she instantly regretted.

“What?” The alpha’s eyes narrowed, her brows furrowing together. “No you must be wrong. Humans and wolves cannot be in a pack. There must be some biological factor but it’s never been proven why.” Looking lost in thought the elder alpha ran a hand through her hair, smoothing down the flyaway strands. “Would you mind testing something out?”

The genuine curiosity in her voice truly startled Mila as she bit her lip, reluctant to agree to something she didn’t know. “What is it you’d like to test?”

“Whether your claim of being pack or not is true.” Her voice was still polite, but disbelieving of the nurse’s claim.

“What do you want me to do?”

“First I need you to go get Patrick. Than we may continue, is this alright?” The request was curious, raising the hair on Mila’s neck. Was it alright? Should she just recant and say that she’d been lying? But wolves could hear a lie; and Mila didn’t want to piss Evlynn off. She’d come here for comfort of some kind yet ended up placing herself in a potentially dangerous situation for not only her, but Patrick as well.

“He’s… I left him in the medical bay. He’s supposed to be there after last night’s beating.” Nodding the elder woman looked curious, before getting to her feet slowly.

“Than take me to him. This could be…. Could be monumental. I need to see this.” She murmured more to herself. There was no getting out of this as the eyes that had been watching her before with pity had morphed into something more curious; more on edge. With a deep breath, feeling like a fish about to be thrown to a shark the nurse nodded curtly getting to her feet.

“Alright, I’m curious to see as well. Let’s go find him.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh god sorry it took so long. I've been so busy with school, relationship and life in general. Was Mila overreacting to Patrick? Well, next chapter will be in Patrick's POV