‹ Prequel: Chasing Cars
Status: Updated Once A Week

Before the Storm

15: The Calm

Two days later the doctor had moved Alex from the ICU into a regular room. Ben was now at home with my parents and we were just waiting for the okay for when Alex can leave the hospital. It was around noon when there was a knock on the door and I opened it, only to find Josh standing there.

"Hey Josh, back already?" I asked the English man who smiled and nodded.

"Yeah, Oli had a meeting at the store today. Hey Lex."

"Hi Josh." Alex smiled.

"I can't go away for a bit without something bad happening to you."

"Yeah. I feel like I was a piñata at a five year old's party." Alex groaned as he shifted around in the bed a bit, holding his ribs as he moved.

"I bet if piñatas could bruise, they'd look like you." Josh teased and I chuckled while Alex simply rolled his eyes but smiled nonetheless. "How's Ben?"

"He's doing good, well except for that panic attack he got the other day when I finally got to take him home and he was scared of getting into the car." I sighed sadly.

"Poor kid. And what happened to Trent?"

"I think they're sending him to a mental institution or something." I spoke up and Alex glared at me. "I meant rehab center."

~~~~~\\//~~~~~

Another week went by before Alex was officially released from the hospital after an almost two week stay and back home resting comfortably. My mom and Alex's mom took the kids out so Alex could get some rest for a bit, though he was refusing to sleep for a bit.

"Fine. Let's just watch something together instead of getting into a silly little fight." I sighed and smiled at Alex who grinned and patted the empty space in the bed next to him.

"Can we watch-" Alex began but I shook my head as I sat down next to him.

"We're not watching Supernatural." I told him sternly and he looked at me with his puppy dog eyes. "Baby, we've seen every single episode at least four times now, I'm pretty sure I know each episode by memory."

"Fine. How about-"

"Not Teen Wolf." I told him and he sighed.

"But Jacky, you should spoil me since I'm all bruised and broken. I deserve it after going through such a traumatic experience." Alex pouted motioning to his broken arm and faint bruises.

"Alright. Chose something then." I told Alex while handing him the remote.

"I love you." Alex told me as he leaned over to kiss my cheek.

"I love you too babe." I smiled and watched as he scrolled through the TV shows on Netflix until he eventually settled on some movie.

Halfway through Alex fell asleep and I turned off the TV, leaving the bedroom quietly. My mom called me when I was making dinner a few hours later and I answered it.

"Hey mom, what's up?"

"The kids want to go home and Ben says he has a headache." My mom said and I sighed.

"Alright, Alex is going crazy without them anyways. Just bring them back now." I told my mom, turning off the stove and heading into the living room where Alex was watching another movie.

"Alright sweetie, we'll be there soon." My mom hung up and I sat down next to Alex who rested his head on my shoulder.

"The kids are coming back. Ben has a headache and they miss us." I told Alex.

"I miss them too. It's been too long since I've spent proper time with my babies." Alex smiled and I chuckled.

"Just don't carry the twins babe and be careful, you can still hurt yourself." I warned my husband who simply sighed and nodded.

"I know I know. You should go get Ben's pills for when he gets back, or he'll complain until you get them." Alex warned me.

"Yeah, I know babe. I'll be back then, so don't move." I warned my husband as I stood up from the couch.

"Jack!" He whined like the three year old he likes to be.

I rolled my eyes and walked towards the bathroom to look for Ben's medication.

"Daddy!" I heard the twins shout and I grabbed the bottle of pills, quickly dashing into the living room to see the twins hugging Alex. My mom looked at me with a smile as she pulled me into a hug.

"Hi mom." I laughed and hugged her back.

"Hello sweetie, I see you're taking good care of Alex." My mom smirked.

"Yeah, he doesn't even let me pick a show on the TV." Alex pouted.

"Babe, we've seen your shows thousands of times." I argued.

"You're rude, get away from me."

Ben smiled and took the bottle from my hands.

"One, Benji!" I reminded the ten year old as he disappeared into the kitchen.

"I gotta go, I'll check on you guys later. Jack, watch over Alex and Ben." My mom told me as she headed towards the door.

"Of course I will." I assured her and then she was gone.

Ben walked back in and sat down next to Alex, kissing his cheek. The twins ran off as Fluffy walked lazily into the room. I shook my head at the old dog and sat down with my two boys.

~~~ Vic's POV ~~~

"We should start talking about our wedding cause as much as I would like, it's not going to plan itself." Kellin told me as he turned off the TV and turned to look at me.

"Alright. First thing's first, we need to pick a date." I said while looking at Kellin who grinned.

"I was thinking in the spring. Maybe April?"

"Alright, but what date in April? Mid April sound good?"

Kellin nodded and leaned in to peck my lips, a huge smile still on his face. I laughed and he pulled me into his arms, holding me tight.

"What's up with you?" I asked Kellin, laughing a bit.

"I just love you so much and I don't ever want to let you go. You're going to be mine forever and ever and ever and ever." He said, sighing happily.

"Alright pretty boy." I smiled, resting my head on his chest. "Do you think my dad will ever come around?"

"Maybe someday, you just gotta remember he's your dad and he's trying to look out for you." Kellin hummed, rubbing my back softly.

"I just- I don't know." I sighed, bringing my hand up to rest on his stomach. "I really hope he's okay with everything by the time we get married. Shit, I still gotta tell my family."

"I do too, I guess that being here with you has made me forget everything."

I smiled and leaned up to kiss him softly. Kellin kissed me back, his hands wrapping around my waist tightly. I pulled away and sat up, making Kellin groan.

"Babe." He whined.

"What." I mocked him.

"Where are you going?"

"To check on Mia. She's been sleeping for awhile now and I'm getting bored." I teased Kellin who glared at me.

"So I'm boring? Fine, I see how our relationship is."

"Aww babe." I laughed, pecking his lips and hugging him tight.

"Daddy?" Came Mia's voice from behind us and I pulled away from Kellin to see Mia walking towards us.

"Hi sweetie, have a nice nap?" I asked her, pulling her over onto my lap.

Mia nodded and Kellin leaned over to kiss her head. She giggled and pushed Kellin's head away as he tried kissing her again. I chuckled and shook my head.

"Let's go have a picnic at the park." Kellin suddenly said as he sat up straight and smiled over at us.

"Alright, Mr Bright-ideas-at-the-last-minute."

Mia got off of my lap and ran off happily as Kellin and I headed to the kitchen to make something to take to the park.

"Don't you have to work today?" I asked Kellin who shook his head.

"Took the day off to spend it with my lovely family." Kellin said.

"Well aren't you sweet." I teased him, kissing his pale cheek lightly.

"Of course I'm sweet and I'm going to be even sweeter when we make that baby." Kellin winked at me as he wrapped his arms around my waist.

"Not if we're getting married in the spring. I don't want to be fat on our wedding day, Kells." I told him seriously.

"No worries, we have our wedding night and our honeymoon to work on it."

"Well don't you like to insist." I told him while shoving him away playfully.

"Of course. It was my insisting that got us to be friends back in high school and my insisting that got us to our first date and my insisting about having Mia." Kellin spoke as he counted off on his fingers.

"Alright I get it, our relationship is based off on insisting. A lot of it."

Kellin simply laughed and I smiled.

~~~Alex's POV~~~

"You okay? You've been really quiet and I'm worried. Usually we can't shut you up." I asked Ben as we walked into his room.

"I don't know. I've been wondering, did he ever really like me?" Ben asked me a bit quietly as we sat down on his bed.

"Who? Trent?" I asked and he nodded. "I'm sure he did kiddo. I mean, ever since I can remember Trent's been alone with no family to really care for him. When I met him, his parents were getting divorced and his sister was barely ever home so he searched for other people to keep him busy. Eventually we started dating and he told me how he wanted to settle down and have a family with me. We were young, just a few years older than you, but he was so sure we'd be together forever while I wasn't."

"Then why did you guys decide to have me?" Ben asked me curiously and I smiled softly, running my good hand through his hair.

"We didn't. It just happened like it happened when the twins came along because Jack and I hadn't talked about giving you siblings so soon but it happened. With Trent it was different though. I told him I was pregnant and he left. Said he wasn't ready anymore and that he didn't love me or anything. I was 15 when I found out about you and 16 when you were born. I was going to school, working to make my own money for when you came along and all. Trent never once cared until you were like four then he tried getting close to you but he got scared again.

"Trent left to get help for his addictions and that's when he came back awhile ago and decided to get close to you. He really regretted leaving us ten years ago and he tried making things better, but he's too far into his own problems to be able to actually from a relationship. He was a good man. I'm not saying he isn't now, but he's not the same guy that I met when I was 15 and he had promised me to love me forever."

"Do you ever wonder how it would have been if dad would have stayed and helped you?"

"I did at first when you were nothing but a small peanut and I was scared to have you. Then after you were born I realized that I didn't need or want him around. I was completely confident I could make it on my own. I was wrong though."

"Why?"

Jack walked in and sat behind me, grabbing Ben's hand.

"That's a story for when you're a bit older, kiddo. Now bedtime." I told Ben who whined.

"But dad." He whined and Jack laughed.

"No buts kiddo. Bed." Jack spoke as he helped me up and tucked Ben in. "Night, kid."

"Night guys. I love you." Ben yawned.

"We love you too, sweetie." I smiled and we walked out of the room, leaving the door open for when Jack brought Asher in.

"You didn't tell him the truth, Alex." Jack told me as we were getting ready for bed after getting the twins settled down.

"I know Jack, but I also couldn't tell him the truth. What was I supposed to say? Oh Trent only used me for sex then dumped me the minute he found out I was knocked up by his stupid sperm? Or tell him that Trent wanted me to abort or give him up for adoption? Jack, he's still just a kid and doesn't deserve to have his heartbroken because of his stupid father. I'll tell him everything when he's a bit older."

"Alright, but what if he finds out on his own?"

"How? Josh wasn't here for that, Oli came while I was pregnant and the others don't like the subject of Trent." I spoke angrily. "Look Jack, just drop it. I'm tired and in pain, I don't want to argue with you."

Jack didn't say anything and I got into bed without saying goodnight to him. The lights were turned off and I could feel Jack shift in our bed until his back was facing me. I sighed and fell into an uncomfortable sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't even know if you guys still want to read this, but I'm determined to finish it anyways :)