Status: I hope to finish this one ;)

Welcome to Skinner Falls

Checkers for Two

Checkers for Two

Do you ever have that feeling that someone is talking behind your back? Or you want to hide but can’t? Imagine that but with hundereds of people all at once. Eyes of everyone staring at you. Waiting for your next move. I am the center of attention.

For whatever reason when I take a seat next to the two girls playing checkers, everybody simultaneously looks away. Guess I am not that interesting anymore. Did I just become stereotyped?

The girls on the other hand didn’t even seem to notice a newbie like me. Focus is how they are. All of a sudden one of the girls take a black checker piece and triple jumps her opponent.

“What! You know what Lucy I quite! I tired of playing this game anyway.”

She gets up to leave looks down at me, hmms, then walks away. Yup I am getting judge. On the other hand, now is my chance. I take the girls seat waiting for Lucy to notice.

“Oh, hi, do you want to play?” Lucy asks.

“Yeah, sure.”

Lucy gathers up the checkers separating them and starts placing them on her squares, I do the same. The light from the window makes her straight black hair shine. If I had to guess her age, I’ll say 16, or 17.

“So you want to go first?” I question friendly.

“You’re red, red always goes first.”

“Oh okay.”

Judging by that other girls reaction, Lucy must be pretty good of a player. Yet, what else are you going to do in this mad house? I take my far left and move up.

“Haven’t seen you around here before, are you new?” Clink

“Yeah actually I just got here about 5 hrs ago.” Clank

“Wow, were you from?” Jump

“I’m out of state” Clank

“Most of us are.” Double jump

“What about you?” Clank

“Colorado, and you?” jump

“Washington.” clink

“Ah I see.” King.

Lucy is as interested in me as I am in her. She takes another piece to stack on her king; She reaches over my side of the board. Her jacket sleeve is pushed up. Only for a few seconds I see cuts on her arm. I pretend I didn’t notice.

Our clinks, and clanks became the only noise besides the chatter all around us. The game doesn’t last long. Lucy wins of course. She starts setting up another game.

“Are these rigid or something?” I joke

“Why? You think I cheated? Are you calling me a liar!?”

Well this escalated quickly. She then smiles and laughs a quirky laugh. This must have been a big deal or something of the sort. Lucy is about ready fall off her chair and roll on the floor.

“Ah my god! You should have seen your face! Ha Priceless.”

As fast as the laughing had started it dies down. She takes one piece of checker in her hand and studies it. The other hand resting her head. She speaks another question.

“So who is your roommate?”

“Cecilia Snap.”

“Hmm she’s alright.”

“I haven’t got a chance to speak with her, cause she pass out from starvation or some shit like that.”

“One of these days Cecilia won't come back.”

“Back? From where?”

“Where ever the staff takes her.”

“You don’t know?”

“Not really, I think it’s just some doctors office somewhere in the building.”

A loud voice comes from the ceiling. Realizing that it is an intercom. Couldn’t tell if it was Amy’s or not.

“Social time is over, I repeat social time is over, please report back to your rooms for sleeping.”

Groans are heard. People are starting to depart. I help pick up the checkers before some watcher scowls at us. Leaving the commons area, I flow in the tide of teens, girls separating down one hall guys the other.

Another separation occurs afterwards, as girls go to the different dorm letters. Since I am in ‘A’ I get to part as soon as the staircase gets crowded. I wave to Lucy as we part our ways.