Canon

eighteen.

I stare up at Louis with hesitation. His bandages were gone but his nose appeared to be slightly more crooked than it had before I first laid eyes on him. My mind flashes back to where Niall’s fist collided with Louis’ face in that bar. I was too drunk to process what was going on at the time but apparently it was a good hit, according to Rose.

‘Okay.’ I agree feeling like I owe it to him, maybe none of this would’ve happened if I didn’t get so drunk that night.

‘I just wanted to tell you how much I hate how all of this turned out,’ he starts leaning against the nearest locker, ‘I thought you were pretty cool and that we had a few good laughs.’

‘We did.’ I agree looking over my shoulder slightly preparing myself for Niall to rush in.

‘It’s like Niall has this kind of sick possession over you. I mean, who the hell is he to tell you who you can and can’t be friends with.’ Louis rants, ‘It’s not like you’re even with the guy or anything.’

And for the second time today I started to question where I stood with Niall.

‘Look, I’m sorry for how things turned out too. I never meant for you and Niall to get into a fight or anythi-…’

‘It’s not the first time.’ Louis intercepts shaking his head with an exasperated laugh, ‘believe me.’

‘I don’t get why you two hang around each other then besides the fact that Zayn’s a mutual friend.’

‘Mutual friend?’ Louis scoffs, ‘have you met the guy? Niall doesn’t have friends. He’s a loner. I’m starting to figure out why – he’s a fucking psychopath. He thinks he has some kind of blackmailing thing going on with us.’

‘What could he have over you?’

‘He thinks we owe him something because he got caught but we didn’t. The pact was if you get caught, keep your mouth shut.’

Louis’ words spun quickly around in my head as he continued to talk. I close my eyes slowly drifting away from what he was saying.

‘I better go.’ He mutters gesturing his head towards Niall, ‘If he takes another cheap ass shot at me again I’ll fucking end him. No matter how much Zayn asks me not to.’

Just as Niall makes his way over to me Louis darts down the hall punching an open locker as he goes. Niall stares down the hall intensely watching every move Louis made.

‘What the hell did he want?’

‘He just wanted to say sorry about how things turned out.’ I half tell the truth following Niall into the cafeteria.

‘Fuck him.’ He immediately retorts, ‘It looks like I’ll need to refresh his memory.’

‘No, don’t.’ I turn to look at him, ‘It’s not worth it.’

‘It will be to watch him with that stupid ass tape on his face again.’

‘What happened with you two?’ I wonder trying to piece together Louis’ eerie rant, ‘You seem to really hate him.’

‘I hate everyone with the exception of you.’ Niall laughs moving forward in the pizza line.

‘Well more than your usual level of hatred.’

‘We were never close or anything. Zayn introduced us,’ Niall shrugs, ‘the same with Liam and Harry.’

‘Louis mentioned something about you blackmailing him and someone else.’

‘He fucking what?’ Niall’s eyes turn cold within a blink of an eye as he attempts to get out of the line, ‘What did he tell you?’

‘Niall what are you doi-…’

‘What did he tell you?’ he repeats with a tone I’ve never heard from him before.

‘Nothing, Niall. That’s all he said.’

‘Don’t listen to any of the shit that fall from his mouth.’

‘I’m starting to think there’s some truth behind it since you’re getting all defensive right now.’

‘Whatever.’ He says finally getting out of the line and I follow, ‘have lunch with him.’

Niall tosses his green backpack over his shoulder and storms out of the cafeteria. I grab my bag from the empty table and rush out behind him. He pulls his car keys from his backpack and cuts through the parking lot.

‘Where are you going?’

‘None of your damn business. Go back with Louis and talk about me some more. You seemed to like that.’

‘I thought you were trying!’ I shout at him jogging to keep up, ‘at your house you told me that you were trying and I believed you!’

Niall stops in his tracks to stare at me with regretful eyes. I clutch a hold of his tee shirt with my hand keeping him in front of me so he can’t walk away again. He uses both of his large hands to cup my face before brushing his lips against mine. His mouth was soft as it had been at his house the night before last. My stomach tightens with butterflies as Niall’s hand leaves my cheek to push me into him.

‘I’m sorry.’ Was the first thing I heard when our lips left one another, ‘Just stay away from him, alright?’

‘Niall I-…’ I attempt to argue but Niall presses his lips against mine again allowing them to linger for a few seconds.

‘For me.’ He concludes resting his forehead against me with a low voice.

‘Okay.’ I cave in nodding my head several times, ‘I’ll stay away from Louis.’

I decide to steer clear of the conversation Louis and I had in the hall for right now. There was something that Niall wasn’t telling me but that wasn’t anything new. We ended up going to McDonalds and sitting in the parking lot as we did before. I didn’t mind. It was worth coming here to see Niall rant about the lack of barbeque sauce they gave him for forty whole chicken nuggets.

‘I found an apartment.’ Niall informs me after awhile of peaceful silence.

‘When?’

‘During second period.’ He answers; ‘I’m going to meet the real estate agent after school.’

‘Can I come along?’

‘Why else do you think I brought it up?’ he simply replies.

‘Have you told your dad yet?’

‘I won’t need to.’ He retorts, ‘my grandfather was loaded with money. He left me, his only grandson who isn’t a complete screw up, a generous amount to receive on the day of my eighteenth birthday, next week.’

‘Your birthday’s next week?’

‘September 13th.’

‘Are you going to do anything for your birthday?’

‘No. I was never really big on birthdays. Every year was worst than the one before. I think it was better when my dad didn’t even bother to remember anymore.’

‘What did you do last year?’

‘I spent the entire day drunk off my ass in some sleazy motel room with Zayn and his flunkies. Some 17th birthday, huh?’

‘I didn’t even know you drank. At Zayn’s party you were walking around with a bottle of water all night.’

‘I don’t drink – anymore. I think my dad passed out on the sofa day and night made me not want to drink ever again.’

‘How long has it been?’

‘Before that night at Zayn’s where I tasted your drink it had been nine months since I drank any alcohol.’

‘Why did you taste it?’

‘I knew Louis gave it you so I just wanted to make sure that it was okay.’ Niall finishes off his fries as he stares at his phone, ‘Time to get back to that hellhole of a school.’

We make it back to school in time before lunch was over and Niall walks me to class again. He murmurs a quiet see you later before heading towards the stairwell to his English class. I find my seat and pull out my textbook waiting for the bell to ring. A few bells later I was finally walking to gym with Rose.

‘Rumor has it that you and Niall are kissing all over campus.’

‘It was twice.’ I clarify, ‘I wouldn’t exactly call that all over campus.’

‘First Zayn’s and now school. What’s next?’

‘Track’s next.’ I shake my head hurrying through the door as the tardy bell rings.

‘You are so coy about Niall.’ Rose comments behind me, ‘It’s like you’re living a double life.’

‘I am not coy,’ I defend, ‘there’s just not much to tell.’

Thankfully the conversation was cut short when substitute coach blows her whistle. Instead of our usual mile we were having a free day in the gym. Rose sneaks off to the locker room to text Zayn while I bounce a basketball in front of Niall. He looks up at me with serious eyes that didn’t match his oncoming smile.

‘What are you doing?’

‘Come on.’ I laugh backing up with the ball, ‘play me.’

Niall stands to his feet reminding me of the significant height difference. He reaches out a long arm grabbing the ball from me. He stands behind the three-point line and sends the ball flying into the net.

‘What else are you good at?’ I ask after losing in a game of HORSE.

‘I just play around with a few things.’ He shrugs sitting back down on the bleachers, ‘So, you should probably drive your car home and I’ll follow you so we can meet the real estate agent.’

‘Sounds good.’ I sit down beside him grabbing my bag; ‘I’ll meet you there.’

‘Don’t take all day.’ He jokes pushing the door open for me.

‘I won’t.’ I call back already walking to my car to leave for the day.

I make to my house before Niall so I go inside and grab my purse. My mom bounced Elijah in the large recliner in the living room.

‘Are you leaving?’

‘Yeah, I’m just going with Niall.’

‘Niall?’ she raises an eyebrow at me, ‘Are you two together?’

‘We’re friends, mom. Honest. Bye.’ I retort heading back out the door when I hear his car out front.

‘I was right behind you.’

‘Were not.’ I taunt, ‘I was halfway home before you even made it out the parking lot.’

‘Such a smartass.’

About twenty minutes later we get to this large brick building downtown. Sendero Lofts. I follow Niall to the sidewalk where a short man dressed in a suit was waiting with a briefcase.

‘Hello, JR Trottman. Nice to meet you.’ He eagerly shakes Niall’s hand.

‘Niall and this is Lizette.’ He nods in response.

‘Let’s not wait around. Come and see the space.’ He pulls the heavy steel door back holding it open for us, ‘you would be on the fifth floor, perfect view. The loft does come furnished already including new stainless steel kitchen appliances and the brand new two-in-one washer dyer.’ JR explains while we ride the elevator up to the fifth floor.

JR stops in front of 532 and fetches the key to unlock the door. The apartment’s walls were a beautiful red brick to match perfectly with the shiny wood flooring. Several large windows were placed evenly around the apartment. The furniture seemed new and smelled nice.

‘You have your living and dining room here. Kitchen’s right there. The bedroom’s on the left and the bathroom’s on the right along with the wash room.’

‘What do you think?’ Niall wonders looking at me once we saw the apartment.

‘I’d definitely want to live here if I was apartment hunting.’

‘JR, I’m taking it.’ Niall tells him, ‘The security deposit will be in your office first thing in the morning.’

‘So happy to hear that Mr. Horan. Just swing by next week on the day of your eighteenth birthday to get the key and fill out the paper work.’

‘Will do.’

Niall and I go back to the car where the engine roars to life. I glance back at Niall’s new place before he drives away.

‘Are you happy?’

‘I just need to make it another week with my dad and then I’m out of there.’ He grins pleased staring at the open road in front of him.