Canon

nineteen.

‘Happy Birthday!’ I beam coming into Trigonometry taking my seat.

‘What’s this?’ Niall asks holding the box wrapped in a bright blue paper.

‘Just open it before Dr. Werner sees.’

‘Fine.’ He groans but I could see the small smile playing on his lips, ‘I remember telling you not to get me anything.’

‘I know. I just saw this and I couldn’t resist.’

‘A camera?’

‘It’s a Polaroid camera.’ I point out with a smile, ‘for on the go.’

‘Thanks.’ He smiles stuffing the camera down into his famous green backpack, ‘Best gift I’ve gotten in years.’

‘Don’t mention it. There’s some film in the box too. You’ll be able to take about four hundred pictures with that.’

‘Nice.’ He finds the film and slips down into his bag.

‘So what are you doing today?’

‘Leaving after lunch so I can go get the key and fill out the papers for my apartment.’

‘So I won’t see you in gym?’

‘Come with me.’ He suggests as the bell rings.

‘All right, Lizette. Eyes forward.’ Dr. Werner closes the door and quickly jumps into the lecture.

‘Come with you?’ I ask once Niall and I were in the hall after Trigonometry.

‘Yeah, why not?’

‘I’ve never skipped anything other gym.’

‘You’ll be fine.’ He assures me as we come to a stop in front of the art room, ‘so, what do you say?’

‘If I get caught I am taking you down with me.’ I grin as Niall leans down to kiss me.

‘I’ll take all the blame.’ He promises before heading off to his next class.

‘Are you two screwing around?’ Zayn’s speaks bluntly as I take my seat, ‘you and my man Niall.’

‘No.’ I feel the heat rise onto my cheeks at Zayn’s comment, ‘We’re friends.’

‘Do you kiss all of your friends like that? Rose hasn’t told me you two are that close.’

‘You are disgusting.’ I laugh shaking my head at him.

‘It’s his birthday, right?’

‘Yeah, today’s his birthday.’

‘How about you two come by my place later and we can have some drinks with the guys. That’s always fun.’

‘Niall has to sign papers for his apartment.’ I speak without thinking.

‘Wait, hold up – Niall’s got himself his own place? Since when?’

‘He didn’t tell you?’

‘No, he doesn’t tell me shit. Maybe we should all just meet up at his place then like a little “breaking the place in” party. I’ll bring the beers and people.’

‘I don’t think he wants a big party just yet.’

‘It could be a surprise. Niall and I always party with each other on our birthdays. It’s tradition.’

I hesitantly slide Niall’s new address over to Zayn since he did say it was tradition. Zayn tells me that he’ll get all of Niall’s pals to stop by for tonight just for him.

‘I don’t think it’d be a good idea if Louis came…’ I shrug dropping a hint to Zayn.

‘I’m not a dumbass,’ he laughs in return, ‘Niall and Louis are going to murder each other if they get in the same room again.’

‘That is the last thing I want to happen.’

‘What’s the last thing you want to happen?’ Rose questions dropping her back onto the floor.

‘Party at Niall’s tonight.’ Zayn tells her sneaking a long kiss before the art teacher could turn around.

‘I can’t go.’ She sighs, ‘Remember I have that dinner with my parents.’

‘Can’t you bail?’

‘I wish. Maybe we can all do something on Friday – just the four of us.’

‘All right.’ Zayn groans leaning his head on Rose’s back.

‘Lizzy’s eyes will be on you all night like a hawk so no funny business.’

‘I will be on my best behavior.’ Zayn replies wrapping his smoke around him.

The rest of the day drags by slowly before it was finally lunch. I meet up with Niall behind the gym where he waited against his Mustang.

‘I was beginning to think you wouldn’t show.’ Niall grins as I near him, ‘you got guts kid.’

‘Shut up.’ I retort sliding down into the passenger seat.

Niall runs inside of the real estate office to sign his contract and pick up the key while I wait patiently in the car for him. Once he comes back he has his new shiny keys in his hands.

‘Time to get my shit from my house.’ He drives to his house and parks in the driveway cutting the engine.

‘Is your dad in there?’ I ask cautiously.

‘Probably. Don’t worry about him.’ Niall advises before getting out the car, ‘come on – it’s too hot for you to sit out here.’

I follow him up the stairs and through the small entrance way. Niall’s dad was sitting on the sofa with a can of beer in his hand and the remote in the other.

‘Ain't it a little early for you to be home from school?’ his dad eyes the digital clock in front of him.

‘It’s a half day.’ Niall replies quickly continuing to go to his room.

‘Doesn’t your friend have any manners?’

‘Ignore him.’ Niall shakes his head annoyed, ‘We’re busy.’

Niall’s room was packed up and ready to go except for the bed, dressers, and nightstand. I sit on his mattress while he hauls several boxes to the car refusing to accept my help. As I was waiting for Niall his dad stands in the doorway with his beer scratching his head.

‘I’m Bobby. Niall’s dad.’

‘Yeah, we’ve met. I’m Lizette.’

‘I don’t recall.’

Maybe you didn’t recall because you were insanely drunk the night I came by. I’d be surprise if he actually remembered his own name that night. Niall was thankfully there to prevent the police from taking him in despite how much the neighbors wanted to see it happen. I couldn’t help but feel bad for Niall. It was obvious that he didn’t have the best relationship with his dad. It was clear that it bothered him even though he acts like he could care less about bonding with him. I’m not saying that Niall wants to spend every waking minute with him but I’m sure it would be nice for your own parent to remember what day you were born.

‘Come on Lizette, let’s go.’ Niall says cutting into my thoughts, ‘I’ll be back when you’re sober enough to talk to.’ Niall looks at his father before we slip back out of the front door.

‘Are you sure about leaving him there by himself? What if he gets so drunk again that he’s shouting in the yard?’

‘I can’t always be there for him. He needs to get his shit together pronto. I’m tired of covering for his ass.’

‘Did he tell you happy birthday?’

‘He hasn’t since I was fifteen.’ Niall shrugs keeping his blue eyes on the road. ‘No surprise there. He doesn’t even remember his birthday half of the time.’

‘Have you ever considered getting him help?’

‘Like rehab? Please tell me that you’re not talking about rehab.’

‘Maybe it could help.’

‘I wouldn’t put a penny on something for him, honestly. He’d just waste my fucking money and everyone’s time.’

‘I don’t think he’s at that point of no return.’

‘You can’t help someone who doesn’t want it.’ Niall responds briefly looking over at me, ‘Let’s not talk about him anymore – please.’

‘All right. I’ll drop it.’

‘Thanks.’

‘I was thinking that we could go get some dinner tonight for your birthday.’ I suggest trying to my buy Zayn some time to get things together.

‘I’m not interested in getting dinner.’ He laughs amused.

‘How about a pizza then? We could bring it back and watch some movies or something.’

‘That’s a better idea.’

While Niall and I were waiting in Pizza Hut’s parking lot Zayn shoots me a text saying that he found the spare key I left behind when Niall and I were dropping his things off. Niall grabs the pizza and takes a slice from the box.

‘What are you doing?’ I laugh as he bites into the pizza.

‘I’m starving.’ He replies with a mouth full, ‘We skipped lunch.’

‘Give me a slice.’ I say as he starts the car up.

By the time we make it to the apartment complex there was only three slices left. My heart pounds as Niall and I get into the elevator to go his apartment, which people were waiting for him.

‘You’re being weird.’ He comments pulling me off the elevator with him, ‘why?’

‘I’m not.’ I chime as he digs through his pockets for his keys.

‘Time to put these movies on.’ He pushes the door open before coming to an immediate stop.

‘Happy Birthday!’

‘What the hell?’ he mutters under his breath staring at me.

‘Sup bro.’ Zayn cheers with a large bottle of beer.

‘Can I talk to you?’ Niall wonders practically dragging me to the other room. ‘What the hell are all these people doing here? Please tell me that you did not fucking do this without asking me first.’

‘It was supposed to be a surprise.’

‘What the hell is wrong with you?! Where do you get off inviting a bunch of Zayn’s fucking people over without my permission.’

‘I’m sorry. I just wanted to do something nice for your birt-…’

‘Stop.’ He cuts me off abruptly, ‘I don’t want to talk to you right now.’

Niall storms out of the bedroom and cuts the music off causing several groans to sound through the room.

‘Everyone get the fuck out of my place before I call the cops. Anyone who’s still here in three minutes is getting arrested for trespassing and I don’t get a shit how pissed any of you get. Anyone who thinks I’m kidding can leave in an ambulance before the cops show up.’

Everyone stares at Niall with weird expressions before filing out of the apartment wordlessly. He goes around the apartment slamming all of the empty bottles into a trash bag.

‘Do you need any help?’

‘I got it.’ He snaps walking into the other room.

A loud bang erupts through the air causing me to jump. Niall’s shouts and curse words travel through the air with quick speed.

‘You have got to be fucking kidding me!’

‘What’s wrong?’

‘My camera’s gone!’

‘The polaroid?’

‘No not the fucking Polaroid Lizette. My camera!’

‘Do you need help looking for it?’

‘I think you’ve helped enough. Let yourself out.’

I walk towards the door silently just to hear it slam shut directly behind me. In the parking lot everyone was just making it to their cars. Zayn volunteers to give me a ride back to the school so I could get my car. The ride was painfully silent and extremely awkward. I mutter a thanks before getting out and climbing into my car. I make it home after eleven o’clock at night to see my dad waiting in the living room.

‘Hey Liz.’

‘Hey.’

‘Got a call from your school today – turns out you missed a few classes.’

As if the night couldn’t get any worse.
♠ ♠ ♠
be sure to comment, subscribe, and recommend the story to your friends! also if you have a twitter tweet me: @schmidtfthoran