Canon

two.

‘Hi Niall. I'm Lizette.’

‘From Trigonometry. Nice to meet ya.’

I turn away to face the track not knowing what else to exactly say to him. There he was right in front of me with his swirls of ink and his toned muscles. His lips looked so soft and cute. Say something to him! Say anything.

‘So you must be pretty fast.’ He says instead with a smile still on his lips. ‘To be finished before anyone else?’

‘I ran before I could crawl.’

‘Then join the track team.’

‘I'd rather not.’ I shake my head from left to right as more people begin to cross the finish line.

‘Why not?’

‘I don't run for a medal. I don't run for some plastic trophy. I don't run to say I came in first place. I just like it.’

‘Well i respect that.’

‘So what about you?’

‘What about me?’

‘Why aren't you running?’

‘I have stomach issues.’ he smirks victoriously holding up a yellow note, ‘or at least that's what I wrote today.’

As I open my mouth the coach blows his whistle loudly and the class gathers around him. He talks about his expectations for his class, which were basically: if you throw up, run. If you're bleeding, run. If you're on your death bed, run.

‘Come on Lizzy. Help me to my grave.’ Rose wraps an arm around my shoulder.

As I'm walking i turn to look at Niall who was throwing his green backpack over his shoulder. After we make it to the locker room i change back into my clothes and grab my car keys up to leave.

‘I saw you talking to Horan.’ Rose's eyes flicker to me as she runs a brush through her hair.

‘Oh Niall. Yeah, just for a second.’

‘On a first name bases, huh?’

‘He's from Trigonometry.’

‘Wait so you have a crush on Niall Horan?!’

‘How do you know him?’

‘No, he's just one of Zayn's pals. Zayn mentioned him for a minute.’

‘One of Zayn's friends?’

‘He'll be at that party this weekend.'

I turn away from her looking at the bracelet on my wrist. After Rose gets changed we head out to the parking lot and I get into my car after saying goodbye to her. As I’m driving through the parking lot I see Niall unlocking a sleek black classic mustang. I make it home in about twenty minutes and head inside of our house. I drop my shoes and backpack by the front door then close it.

‘Hey Liz.’ My mom is perched on a stool in the kitchen.

Her dark hair was pulled back in a loose ponytail and her shirt clung to her pregnant belly. My mom was now eight months pregnant, expecting a little boy. I was their only child for eighteen years now and they were finally having another kid. I remember how they tried for months and months. I remember my mom’s face of disappointment and how my dad held her close to him as they stared at the negative symbol.

‘Hey Lizard.’ Dad calls as he comes through the backdoor.

He takes off his jacket and pulls his gun holster from his back. He loosens his tie and finds a seat at the table after greeting mom with a kiss. My dad was the chief of police down at his precinct.

‘How was school?’

‘School was good.’

‘That’s all I get?’ his eyes fall onto me waiting for me to continue, ‘how were your classes?'

‘Everything was good but actually I was wondering if I could go to this party with Rose on Friday.’

‘Will Scott be there?’ My mom asks as she caresses her plump belly.

‘Scott and I broke up, remember?’

‘He was such a sweetheart. I don’t know why you ended things with him.’

‘He eats, sleeps, and breathes lacrosse.’ I answer plainly picking at my thumbnail, ‘so can I go?’

‘I guess so.’ Dad speaks up giving me a smile, ‘don’t forget your curfew.’

‘Never.’ I promise before heading upstairs to my room and closing the door.



The next day I made more of an effort with my hair and makeup than usual, as I got ready for class. I walk through the hall to see Niall pressed up against a locker with some thin blonde. A pinch of jealousy travels through my veins. You just met him yesterday and you already think you own him. He doesn’t even know your last name. Calm down, psycho. Guys like Niall don’t go for girls like you. He wants someone like…. Her. Naturally thin, long legs, long hair, with piercings and tattoos. I walk past them avoiding any eye contact as I go to homeroom. Zayn walks Rose all the way to homeroom before casually walking away after touching her wrist with his fingertips. She comes in with the widest smile clean across her face.

‘Are you dating yet?’ I inquire using my hands to support my chin.

‘We’re just getting know each other.’

‘I’m sure you are.’

'Whatever you say Lizzy. Whatever you say.'

For the duration of the day I make it my personal mission to steer clear of Niall Horan. Today he was the one not so casually staring during class. At lunch I sit with some of the girls from Art Appreciation practically dragging Rose with me when I saw Niall walk through the glass double doors.

'Not your best time.' Coach glances at his stop watch as I cross the thick white line.

'What happened track star?' Niall questions from the bleachers. 'I wanted to see if you'd beat your time from yesterday, I must say I'm disappointed.' a playful grin is on his face as he sits there running a hand through his messy blonde hair.

'Sorry to disappoint you.' I clear my throat grabbing a small white cup getting a swig of water.

'Someone's pissy today.' he says, his smile never leaving his face. 'What's the matter?'

'Nothing.' I shake my head tossing the cup into the trash bin.

I don't wait for coach to release before I'm walking to the locker room to leave for the day.

'So I hear you're going to Zayn's place on Friday.' Niall's voice calls from behind me.

I turn to see him jogging to catch up to me.

'For Rose. She asked me to go along so I'll stop by for a little I guess.'

'Well I guess I'll see you there.' he says allowing his tongue to run across his bottom lip as he places his snapback onto his head.