Canon

twenty two.

The next morning I woke up for school to see my door was removed from its hinges. I get dressed for school silently in the bathroom before heading to the kitchen.

‘Couldn't you said something about the whole door thing?’ I question dropping in the empty seat beside my room.

‘Who do you think stopped him from putting bars on your window overnight?’

‘Where is he anyway?’

‘He had to leave early. Something at work needed his attention but he said he'll talk to you when he gets home.’

‘Great.’

‘All right - go get your things so we can leave.’

So my punishment began I didn't have a door and my mom was driving me to school. I didn't have my phone or laptop. I couldn't leave the house with the exception of school. Only God knows what else my dad had planned for me.

‘Your dad said he'd be the one to pick you up.’ She speaks pulling behind the bus.

‘Can't I just ride with Rose? I'll come home straight after school.’

‘No - I suggest that you're waiting where he can see you. You know how restless he gets sitting in the car. You'll come out of class and he'll be walking around the halls.’

‘Got it.’

‘Bye Lizzy.’

‘Bye mom. Bye Elijah.’ I chime sliding out of her black Tahoe.

I go inside of the building to see Niall waiting at the door leaning against the wall.

‘Did I just see you get dropped off? Is something wrong with your car?’

‘No - part of my punishment. He also took my door from its hinges while I was sleeping.’

‘You're kidding.’

‘Oh I wish I was.’

‘You can stay with me.’

‘Thanks for the offer.’

‘Really - whenever you'd like. You know where it is.’ He leans down to kiss my lips before the first bell rings, ‘I'll see you after home room.’

‘Okay.’

Niall walks down the hall making the girls take two long glances and the guys slightly move out of his way.

‘We'll wasn't last night intense?’ Rose pipes as I take my seat, ‘what happen in there anyway?’

‘Oh just Niall and Louis trying to tear each other's heads off - again.’

‘Louis’ such an asshole. It's almost like he enjoys pissing Niall off and wants to see how far he can push him.’

‘He came pretty close last night.’

‘After you guys left he went back to his room with John and some other guys for the rest of night.’ Rose sets her phone down to look at me, ‘Zayn said they were probably passing around shots and joints but I don't know. Something didn't seem right.’

Rose's words sailed around my mind for the remainder of homeroom. I know that Niall to be on both John's and Louis' hit list but who were the other guys? Once the bell rang I hurried to home room part of me wanting to make sure Niall was still in one piece.

‘Why are you looking at me like that?’ Niall asks dropping his backpack to the floor.

‘Nothing - I'm just happy to see you.’ I smile sitting down in my seat.

‘Lizette.’

‘Yeah?’ I turn in my seat to face Niall, instead I meet his lips.

‘Happy to see you too, I guess.’ He taunts with a growing grin.

Dr. Werner scurries into the room losing papers as she went. Niall lets out a not-so-subtle laugh causing me to giggle. Not at Dr. Werner but at his immaturity. After Trigonometry I had to part ways with Niall but made plans to have lunch together.

‘Mr. Horan - I was just about to call for you.’ Mrs. Martin, the school secretary calls out, ‘you have a visitor.’

‘This better not be your dad.’ Niall groans annoyed.

I follow Niall half expecting to see my dad too. However it wasn't my dad. If was a guy with brown hair and Niall's bright blue eyes. He had even more tattoos than Niall did if that was possible. His neck and hands were stained with ink where Niall had pale, clean skin. Niall grabs my arm and casually pushes me behind me. I hold onto his tattooed arm feeling him tense up drastically.

‘Greg.’ Niall speaks, his voice laced with disgust.

‘Ah - my baby brother.’ The stranger cheers pulling Niall towards him, ‘it's been too long mate.’

‘What are you doing here?’

‘Aren't you going to introduce me to what you're hiding behind your back there?’

‘Lizette, that's Greg or what's left of him I should say.’

‘Hello.’ I peep quietly behind Niall's shoulder.

‘How are you love?’ Greg grins showing off his stained teeth.

‘How did you find me?’ Niall pushes me back behind him that much more.

‘Dad told me where I could find you. I'm actually surprised that you are still wasting time in this dump but dad also says you're smart and shit now.’ Greg looks around the school's lobby with disgust. ‘Anyway I saw your room, it looked pretty empty.’

‘Been crashing at a friends.’

‘Your room looked pretty vacant for you to be crashing at a friends.’

‘What do you want Greg? We were about to get something to eat.’

‘How about I tag along?’

‘How about you not?’

I give Niall's back a small poke causing him to slightly turn. I give him a nearly invisible nod towards Greg. He sighs heavily throwing his head back frustrated.

‘Fine. Follow me down the street or did you walk here?’

‘Got a ride from one of my buddies actually. My car was repossessed last week.’

‘Of course it was.’ Niall scoffs grabbing my hand with his, ‘my car's out front.’

‘What a beaut.’ Greg whistles looking at the shiny black mustang, ‘still don't know why pop gave it to you.’

‘Don't piss me off before we get in the car.’ Niall speaks pulling his seat forward. ‘Here get in the back.’

‘Oh, I don't mind. I can take the back.’ I slid in behind Niall before he could protest.

Greg happily takes the passenger seat and closes the door. Niall bites his lip as he starts the car.

‘So where's the best grub?’ Greg turns in the seat to talk to me.

‘We were just going to go to McDonalds.’ I answer looking away from the window. ‘Since it's pretty close to school.’

‘Great.’

I place one of my hands on Niall's shoulder feeling him loosen up. We finally make it to McDonalds and get out to go inside. Niall and I slide into the both together while Greg takes the other side.

‘So did I hear him say your name is Lizette?’

‘That's right.’ I nod setting down my chicken wrap.

‘Are you two toget-...’

‘None of your damn business.’ Niall abruptly cuts Greg off biting into his Big Mac.

‘Sensitive subject, eh?’ Greg smirks pleased that he touched a soft spot on Niall, ‘how'd you meet?’

‘School.’ Niall answers with daggers pointed at Greg.

Above the table he was annoyed and pissed about Greg's presence alone but under the table he was gentle. His large hand was placed on my thigh drawing small circles with his thumb. I had my hand around his arm holding him there with me.

‘So what's a pretty, quiet girl doing with this jackass?’

‘So what do you want?’ Niall cuts in, ‘why are you sitting here right now.’

‘I am in desperate need of some cash right now. I wouldn't ask if it wasn't completely urgent.’

‘I'm not giving you money so you can shoot shit up your arms.’

‘You know I'm not into that anymore - I'm better.’

‘Yeah not like I’ve heard that one before.’ Niall scoffs with disbelief, ‘nice try.’

‘I’ve been living here and there for a few months. My buddy was letting me crash with him but he got evicted after one wild night of partying. I just need a little cash to lay on someone’s couch for a month or so just until I get my feet on the ground.’

‘Take my room.’ Niall advises seeming to careless, ‘you and dad can get drunk all day together. You have nothing better to do than waste your lives apparently.’

‘Are you sure?’ Greg’s stunning blue eyes sparkle with curiosity, ‘you wouldn’t mind?’

‘Have at it.’ Niall retorts finishing off his food, ‘Alright – we need to go before we’re late for class.’

‘I really need a lift back to dad’s place if you don’t mind.’

‘I’m not making Lizette late so I can give you a lift. It’s completely out of the way.’

‘It’s fine. Just drop me off on the way and I’ll just catch up with you in gym.’

‘Oh you two have gym together? I bet you look nice in a pair of gym shorts.’ Greg wiggles his thick eyebrows causing Niall to stand up in the booth.

‘I swear to God if you say some shit like that again I will run you over with that fucking car without hesitation. Don’t fucking test me.’ Niall growls at his older brother.

‘Whoa, another touchy subject.’

‘Niall, just come on.’ I stand up holding his hand, ‘Just take him and I’ll go to class.’

Niall mutters curse words under his breath but pulls me out to the car anyway. I slide into the back behind Niall while Greg takes the passenger side. Once we were back in the school’s parking lot Niall gets out to pull the seat forward.

‘I’ll be back soon.’

‘Okay.’

‘It was great meeting you. I see why my baby brother is so protective over you.’

‘God shut the hell up.’ Niall kisses me quickly before sliding back down into his car.

I hurry back into the school before the bell rings. I couldn’t wait to get to gym to meet back up with Niall before the day was over.

‘How’d it go?’ I inquire sitting down beside him on the bleachers.

‘Fucking terrible. I ended up giving him 75 bucks before he even got out the car and he has the seat smelling like garbage. I’m going to have to get it detailed before I can even breathe right in it.’

‘Do you ever think that you’re a little harsh towards him?’

‘Hell no.’

‘Why do you hate him so much?’

‘If you knew all the sick shit Greg did when we were growing up, you’d hate him too.’