Canon

three.

Friday came before I knew it and I was getting ready to go to Zayn’s place with Rose. This week was the longest in a while. Niall and I never said more than twenty words to one another every day this week. I kept my distance since my run in with him tongue wrestling with the blonde. Thank God I hadn’t seen him with her since that day. I grab my jacket from the back of the chair in my room before heading downstairs.

‘I want you to have a good time,’ dad says as he drinks his beer watching the game, ‘just don’t give me a reason to put the sirens on.’

‘Brad, leave the girl alone.’ Mom calls from the kitchen, ‘don’t be home too late.’

‘I won’t. See ya.’ I call as Rose honks outside.

I rush out to Rose’s red convertible and slid inside. The air was warm and inviting, perfect weather for the top down. I buckle the seat belt and settle back into the seat as she pulls away from the curb. From where she sat I could see the small skirt that hugged Rose’s hips.

‘You look pretty.’ She compliments looking over at me at the next red light.

‘Well look at you. Is all that for Mr. Malik?’

‘I told you we were just getting to know each other.’ She smirks checking her make up in her rear mirror. ‘How about you?’

‘What about me?’ I purse my lips looking out at the dark sky.

It was already after eight, practically nine and we were just heading to Zayn’s. I guess he liked to have his parties later into the night.

‘I think you know what I’m talking about.’ Rose urges, ‘or should I say who I’m talking about.’

I ignore Rose’s pestering while we were on our way to Zayn’s.

‘Here we are.’

We arrive at an apartment complex entitled the Outpost and get out. I follow Rose towards the glass double doors and inside of the building. The doorman nods his head as I we make our way to the elevator. We get out on the fourth floor and head down the hall. On the other side of the door we heard laughter and the faint sounds of music. Rose knocks on the door after forcing me to tell her how she looks. Zayn swings the door open with a red cup in his hand with a sweet, tipsy.

‘You made it.’ He blinks happily down at Rose, ‘you look incredible.’

‘Thank you, you don’t look too bad yourself.’ Rose compliments.

Zayn was dressed in a black tank top showing off his inked arm with black tight jeans and his famous pair of smooth black Doc Martens. I could see the formerly lit cigarette that rested behind his ear. His jet-black hair was spiked up higher than usual.

‘Thanks, babe.’ He smiles, ‘there’s drinks over there alcoholic and non-alcoholic. A variety chips and other junk. Bathroom’s down the hall, first door on the left. You know the guys Louis, Liam, and Harry. That’s Tyler, Stacy, Caroline, Matt, and John. I’d steer clear from John though, he’s a bit pissy tonight.’ He jokes stiffing out a laugh. ‘And Liz, Niall’s somewhere around here.’ Zayn says with a dimply smirk before taking Rose away to get a drink.

I look around the small apartment, awkwardly. The girls Stacy and Caroline each stare at me, annoyed by my mere presence. I could see their tattoos from where I stood. I nervously rock back and forth on my feet wondering if I should follow behind Rose and Zayn. I didn’t want to be the clingy friend who couldn’t take a hint. Finally I find a seat on the empty sofa next to the iPhone that was connected to an iHome playing the music. Harry and Louis plop down on the sofa across from mine while Liam sits beside me.

‘What’s up, Lizette?’

‘Not much.’ I shift over slightly uncomfortable glancing at Stacy and Caroline who whisper in the corner of the room.

‘Forget them.’ Harry nods his head in the direction, ‘they do that to everyone.’

‘They don’t like to share.’ Louis stiffs out a laugh causing everyone else to join in.

‘Except with each other.’ Tyler chimes into the conversation, ‘hey I’m Tyler.’

‘Lizette.’

‘I’m Matt and that’s John. So how do you know Zayn?’

‘He’s in one of my classes.’

‘Right right. You must be the one Zayn mentioned.’

‘Will you be finishing with school any time soon?’ John’s deep voice booms nearly causing me to jump.

‘Yes, senior year.’ I nod.

‘Planning to go off to university?’ he continues the conversation.

‘Yeah, applying to a lot of New York schools.’

‘Ah, I like a girl with a plan.’ John winks taking a few long gulps of his drink.

I slightly feel myself move over closer to Liam on the sofa as John watches me with his dark eyes. My eyes scan the room for Rose but she wasn’t anywhere in sight.

‘Want to get a drink?’ Louis asks from a few feet away.

‘Sure.’ I nod standing to my feet to follow Louis.

I grab an unopened can on Sprite and pour it into a clean red cup.

‘May I?’ Louis holds up a bottle of Vodka and another bottle of Grenadine. ‘I make it for my girlfriend all the time.’

‘Okay.’ I say, as a lack of judgment.

I watch as Louis pours a swig of Vodka and a few drops of Grenadine before handing my cup back to me. The combination was a pink color that was sweet. I smile taking another sip.

‘Good, huh?’

‘Yeah, it is.’ I nod swishing the liquid around in the cup. ‘Thanks.’

‘No problem.’ Louis nods as he gets a fresh beer from the refrigerator.

The patio door slides open as Stacy and Caroline go out, Niall comes in. In his palm was a water bottle. His white tee shirt clung to his biceps and his jeans revealed a bit of his navy blue briefs. He snakes across the room in a quick motion before stopping in front of me. Louis gives me a smile before heading back over with the others.

‘Hey.’ He runs his pink tongue over his lip piercings.

‘Hi.’ I take another drink, this time more than just a sip.

‘What are you drinking?’ Niall wonders curiously staring down at the bright red cup in my hand.

‘Um, Louis made it for me actually. It’s Sprite, Vodka and Grenad-…’ I was cut short when Niall reaches his arm out grabbing the cup from me.

I watch as he takes a sip of the drink, appearing to be testing it before handing it back to me. He takes a drink of his water before twisting the small plastic cap back onto the bottle.

‘What was that?’

‘Nothing.’ He doesn’t look at me as he shakes his head.

I didn’t know Niall, just yet but I know he just lied to me. I just didn’t know why. His blue eyes were fixated on the group of guys who sat on the sofas.

‘So where’s your friend?’ Niall wonders curiously.

‘Somewhere with your friend.’ I reply looking around the apartment again.

‘I don’t have friends.’ His informs me leaning against the counter, ‘friends are someone you can count on. Someone who has your best interest at heart despite what they want. These are people who just like to have a good time and I pitch in on the alcohol.’ I look at his mouth to see if a smile will appear or even a laugh but it never comes.