Canon

thirty one.

Niall's Point of View

‘You know what we always have to do with those who know too much...’ Damon starts, eyeing me as I walk back into the house, ‘even little girlfriends.’ He then takes his dark eyes to Zayn.

‘What the fuck did I do?’

‘I spotted your lover in the car as well.’

‘They don't know anything!’ I interject, ‘Lizette won't be coming back.’

‘You better hope not, for her sake of course. She hasn't grown on me that much.’

I can't believe with all the progress I made with Lizette I just pulled some shit like that. I have never met anyone who cared where I was - ever. My own father could do a few days without me, but not Lizette. I could see the hurt and disappointment behind her eyes as I talked to her. I told her that she wasn't my mother or girlfriend. Simple words but not to Lizette- I know how much the teenage title shit means to her. Every single time that we move a step forward I drag us back fifty. I pull my phone out turning my back to them to write a new text.

Make sure she's okay - Niall.

Of course baby brother. - Greg.

Here I was living the best thing to ever happen to me in Greg's grimy hands.

Lizette's Point of View

‘What did he say?’ Rose eagerly questions as I slide back into the driver’s seat, ‘That seemed pretty intense back there.’

‘You were right.’ I bite back the oncoming tears, ‘He didn’t need me and he certainly didn’t want my help.’

Niall’s word sank into my skin with each silent second that passed me by. I thought we were making progress but all I did was push him further away from me. Why did I think that I could somehow break this invisible hold Damon has on him? It was always far too complex for me.

‘So – what are we doing now, my angels?’ Greg crashes into the silence and for that I was grateful.

‘We are dropping you off,’ I stiff out an easy laugh, ‘Thanks for the help. You obviously care more about Niall than you like to let off. He’s lucky to have you.’

‘Yeah, yeah, yeah.’ Greg shrugs me off as he quickly builds his defensive walls back up just like his little brother. Typical.

After dropping Greg off at the apartment Rose and I head to the school so she could retrieve her car. The parking lot was abandoned seeing how everyone left about an hour ago.

‘Even if Niall can’t see it right now – you did good today.’ Rose speaks as she rummages through her purse for her keys. ‘Call me.’

‘Will do.’ I promise as I get back into my car to watch her drive away.

As I go to leave the parking lot myself Liam jogs out of the gym’s side door with a large duffle bag tossed over his shoulder. Wrapped securely in his right palm was his lacrosse stick. Liam wore a loose fitted black tank top showing off the few tattoos on his toned arms. His black sweats hung low enough to where you could clearly see the white rim of his Calvin Klein briefs. His dark almond colored hair was under his bright red baseball hat. I watch as he walks toward the curb and begins his walk down the street.

‘Hey Liam!’ I call rolling down my window causing him to turn around with curious eyes, ‘Do you want a ride?’

‘I don’t want to bother you – besides I don’t mind the walk, gives me time to think.’

‘You can think in the car, come on. I don’t mind.’ I assure him starting the car up and unlocking the door.

Liam walks over to the car and comes to a hesitant stop. He looks around the empty parking lot before shaking his head.

‘What is it?’

‘I really don’t any problems with Niall right now.’

‘Niall’s not here – besides this is my car and I decide who rides in it, not him. Now come on, I’m already late as it is.’

Finally Liam tosses his large duffle bag and lacrosse stick into the backseat before hopping down into the front.

‘I could have sworn that I saw you driving a nice car to school on more than a few occasions…’ I strike up the conversation as Liam casually stares out the window.

‘Yeah, it’s in the shop,’ Liam nods a few too many times, ‘My dad was supposed to pick me up but I guess he got held up at work or something. His voicemail was pretty dodgy.’

‘Couldn’t your mom have picked you up?’

‘My mom died from breast cancer when I was 13.’ He bites the inside of his cheek the same way I did when I couldn’t bare to cry in front of someone.

‘Oh Liam I’m so sorry.’

‘Like I said, I was 13 so it was awhile ago.’

‘My grandma died from breast cancer when I was four and I don’t know about you but no matter how much time passes by, the feeling never goes away. No matter how many times you tell yourself that it was a long time ago.’

‘You’re right.’ He mutters, ‘I guess I can’t be so okay with it as my dad is.’

‘Or maybe he just puts on a brave face for you. People grieve in their own ways which is completely understandable.’ I breathe looking at the stop light in front of me, ‘I’m sorry I did not mean to just become your therapist. Let’s talk about something else – I see you’re still playing lacrosse. It must be worth the skipping.’

‘I started it at first because skipping is always fun but now I sort of like it and I’m not bad at it.’

‘Do the others still play?’

‘Nah, pretty much everyone has dropped off like flies. I haven’t seen Louis in days. Harry’s missed a few practices and he wasn’t so good at it anyway so no one really cares.’ Liam stiffs out a small yet genuine laugh.

‘And who says that you’re amazing.’ I taunt playfully.

‘You should come to a game, see for yourself.’

‘I might take you up on that.’

‘Oh that’s me right there.’ He points at a large brick house with a long curved driveway. ‘Thanks for the ride.’

‘It’s a good thing I found you because this would not have been a short walk.’

‘I’ll see you at school tomorrow. Later Lizette.’ He grabs his things from the back before walking into his house.

Luckily my dad was still at work and my mom was out running errands or that’s what the note attached to the freezer said. I go to my room lying across the bed with my phone in my hands. I stare at all of the unreturned messages to Niall. Overbearing – he called me overbearing. With that lone thought I toss my phone aside. I think back to the amazing night that we had together trying to pinpoint the exact moment where everything changed. He took me to my favorite singer, which completely surprised me seeing how Niall wasn’t shy when it came to expressing his dislike towards Ed Sheeran. He bought me a coordinates bracelet from where met. I invited into my house, into my room and he happily accepted. He held and kissed me just like he did the very first night in his apartment. Once it was all over he wrapped his arms around me holding me close as he calmed his breathing. He slipped out before my parents woke up but he seemed happy, well, Niall’s version of happy when he left.

‘Hey Lizard.’ My mom chimes in the doorway, ‘You hungry?’

‘Not right now.’

‘Do you want to explain to me why you skipped all of your classes today before your father gets home? The office called me today.’

‘Niall was going through, something.’ I mutter, ‘and no I didn’t skip with him. I spent all day long for him just to find out that he didn’t want to be found.’

‘This is the second time that you have skipped school Lizette – over him whether it’s with or for him. You did it. I want to support you and allow you to be your own person but not if you are placing your love life ahead of your school career. You are too close, too close, to finishing to be throwing it all away. You’re such a smart, talented girl, but you make terrible decisions. If this happens again, I will be pulling the plug. Am I clear right now?’

‘Crystal.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy New Year! May this year be amazing and everything that you could ask for!