Canon

thirty nine.

‘Hold on, what the hell did he say?’ Niall growls as I fill him in on the message I got from Damon last night after the party.

‘Here,’ I place my phone in his hands allowing him to read the words for himself, ‘what happened when I left?’

‘Well, I was a little upset at what he did so I went in the house and beat the hell out of him. Zayn and some others broke it up.’

‘So now he’s going to retaliate. He’s going to come after me to get to you?’ I frown sitting on Niall’s lap to look into his clear blue eyes. ‘Is that what you’re saying?’

‘I am not going to let anyone hurt you.’ Niall whispers placing a hand under my wobble chin to support it, ‘don’t worry – no one’s going to touch you.’

‘It’s just that you have told me these horror stories about these guys and I wouldn’t want to be on their bad side.’

‘I promise you that I am going to keep you safe with everything in me. Trust me. I’m going to protect you.’ Niall replies placing a gentle kiss on my lips.

‘Your hands are pretty banged up but that’s it. Did he not hit you?’ I wonder standing up to get a face towel from my bathroom closet then running some warm water on it.

‘He didn’t have the time.’ Niall coughs out a short laugh as I sit down in front of him again.

He slightly winces as I press the wet cloth to his skin to erase the blood. Niall silently watches me as I delicately go from one hand to the next.

‘I never thought that you would be here cleaning the blood from my hands after I told you that I loved you.’

‘It’s so romantic.’ I taunt placing my hands on Niall’s shoulder, ‘but I wouldn’t change a single thing.’

‘Me neither. I am going get going before your parents wake up. More specifically your gun-toting father.’

‘Too late.’ I whisper hearing the door to my parent’s room opening down the hall, ‘You have to go out the window.’

‘Are you shitting me? You live in a two-story house!’ Niall fans his hand to the window dramatically.

‘I’ve done it before. It’s not that bad.’

‘You are so damn lucky that I love you.’ Niall presses his lips to mine before sitting on the windowsill then jumping out of sight.

I rush to the window in time to see Niall stand to his feet brushing off his clothes. He looks up at the window with one of his winning smiles as he shakes his head in disbelief.

‘I love you.’ I call with a wave while Niall jogs off to his car and driving down the street.

Once he’s gone, I head downstairs where my dad was getting ready to leave. He straightened his deep red tie before throwing on his jacket. He takes his gun and places it in his holster resting on his waist.

‘Hey, Liz. What are you doing up so early?’

‘I couldn’t really sleep.’ I reply sitting down at the table, ‘are you going to work?’

‘Unfortunately. Some kids trashed someone’s house last night and the owner wants to press charges on anyone involved so I have to go out there and look around with him.’

‘Oh.’

‘I’ll see you later sweetheart, bye.’ My dad kisses my head before grabbing his briefcase and heading out the side door.

Dad’s investigating the house break in. – Lizette.

Shit. Really? – Niall.

Yeah do you think Damon will put it all on you? – Lizette.

He’s not that fucking dumb. How about you come over and we can forget about Damon and your dad? – Niall.

I’ll be over a little after one (: - Lizette.

See you then – Niall.

I decided to go back to sleep for a few hours before waking up to shower and getting dressed. I put on a pair of black jeans and a pale blue sweater before heading downstairs. My mom stood in the living room packing a diaper bag while Elijah slept in his car seat.

‘Are you leaving?’

‘Yes, we’re heading over to your aunt Carol’s house for the day. We won’t be back until dinner time so if you’re leaving don’t forget to lock the door.’

‘Currently heading out the door so I won’t be out back until then either.’

‘Oh, and where are you headed?’

‘I’m actually going to see Niall.’ I openly admit thinking about Niall’s drunken words last night. He was tired of hiding and so was I.

‘Have fun.’ My mom smiles warmly, I waited for her to jump into this heated lecture as my dad would’ve but it never came. That was the thing – she wasn’t my dad. She was understanding and wanted me to experience everything in life. While my dad was more of on a mission to stop me from making mistakes. I loved him for that but I wanted Niall in my life. ‘Remember that I really want to sit down and actually get to know him. The guy that you know because if you like him I’m sure there’s something worth liking.’

‘Love you.’ I smile, ‘see you tonight.’

‘See you tonight.’ She repeats as I head out to the garage with my coat to my car. ‘Drive careful – the road’s are slick with ice.’ My mom calls out the door before I get into the car.

I make it to Niall’s apartment building and head up to his floor through the elevator. I give the door a short knock before stepping back to wait. Niall answers the door a small bag of ice in his hand.

‘Is everything okay?’ I wonder repositioning my purse on my shoulder.

‘See for yourself.’ Niall mutters as he walks over to Greg to hand him the bag of ice.

Greg sat on the sofa with a bloody mouth and bruised eye. His clothes were ripped and he was sweating profusely. Greg lifts a weak hand in my direction as if he was saying hello.

‘Hi, Greg.’ I reply quietly walking over to Niall, ‘what happened?’

‘I found him like this. He won’t say who did it but I’m betting anything it was Damon and I’m going to make him regret it.’

‘You don’t want to fight with him Niall,’ Greg tiredly warns from the other side of the room, ‘it’ll never end. I’ll be all right. Don’t you worry about me.’

‘Fuck that! He can’t show up to where I leave whenever he feels like it and beat the hell out of you.’ Niall paces back and forth across the wooden floor, ‘I’m going to get him back for this.’ This was the first time that Niall truly showed his feelings for Greg and it was refreshing. Just then there was another knock on the door.

‘That must be Denise.’ Greg chimes as Niall leaves my side to walk to the door.

Denise was dressed in a pair of holey jeans and a white tee shirt with an older leather jacket thrown over it. Her light pink hair was hanging down her back, like the modern-day, grunge, Rapunzel. She carefully but quickly plops down on the sofa beside her boyfriend to study his harmed features.

‘Greggy, are you all right?’ she frowns leaning her head on Greg’s chest.

‘Now I am.’ Greg speaks smoothly causing Niall to roll his eyes while stiffing out a small laugh.

‘I’m going to take Lizette into the room for a minute.’ Niall announces as he takes my hand leading me to the back of the apartment.

‘Why did you want to come back here?’ I wonder already sitting down on Niall’s bed.

‘I just wanted to be alone with you,’ he replies sitting down behind me, ‘I also wanted to tell you that I’m thinking about heading to Ireland again with Greg – just to get him out of here for awhile. I know he won’t go by himself but we do have family there. As much as I hate it, he’s right Damon will keep this sick as game going on until I give in or he gets even.’

‘I think that’s a good idea.’

‘There’s just one problem with all of it.’

‘What?’

‘How am I going to get you to come with me?’