Canon

four.

'You don't have any friends?' I stare up at Niall's tall muscular frame, 'not even one?'

'Nope not even one. I never needed one either. The thing about friends is that they usually allow you to build up this trust in them and they stab you right in the back. The person you least expect.' Niall pushes himself away from the kitchen counter, 'enjoy your night.'

With that the conversation is cut short as he pulls a cigarette from its pack and heads out the patio door. Rose still hadn't returned with Zayn so again I stood awkwardly in the kitchen. I stare down at the pink liquid in my red cup leaning against counter. Rose comes from the dark hallway with Zayn close behind her. I immediately her aside into the kitchen grabbing a hold of her thin arm.

'Having fun?' she asks as she grabs a Coke from the cooler.

'Seeing as you're the only one I actually know here, not really.'

'Well that is why you get to know them,' she pats my back, 'they seem pretty chill, they're not going to bite.'

'How about a game?' Tyler calls from the living room sitting down on the floor.

'Come on.' Rose pulls me along with her joining Zayn on the floor.

'Oooh, sounds interesting. Which one?' Liam leans forward from the sofa.

'Can't go wrong with Flip, Sip, or Strip.' John suggests.

Niall slides back into the apartment with Stacy and Caroline who eagerly join the circle. Niall stares at the wood flooring seeming to care less about what was going around him. He extends his black skinny jeans to the middle of the circle leaning back on his elbows.

'What are we playing?' Stacy sits up straight picking at her lip ring with her hot pink nails.

'Flip, Sip, or Strip.' Louis answers taking a quarter from his jean pocket.

'Okay here are the rules for you newbies: two people are going to flip a coin into the air and you have to guess what it is, heads or tails. If you get it right, pass your coin to the right. If you get it wrong, then it goes to the left and you either have to take a shot or remove an item of clothing. Another rule is if you get it wrong repeatedly you cannot drink repeatedly or take off multiple items of clothes. For example, if you're shit at guessing and you choose the shot then when it comes back around and you get it wrong again you have to remove an item of clothing.' Harry chimes in to explain.

'Who's first?' Louis questions holding up the quarter.

'Me.' Stacy practically rips the quarter from his hand.

'I'll go too, get it over with.' Zayn raises a hand in the air.

Zayn gets it right, passing his coin to Niall while Stacy gladly rips her top off handing the coin off to Caroline. Niall passes his coin on to Liam saying he'd get in next round. Caroline gets it right before tossing the coin onto John. John happily took his shot obnoxiously slamming the tiny glass against the floor. Before I knew what was actually happening or how someone would win this game it was my turn.

'I'm good.' I decline twirling the cup against the floor.

'Prude.' John not-so-subtlety coughs under his breath and the room erupts with laughter, with the exception of Rose and Niall. 'Here it's not that bad.' John thrusts a red cup in my face.

'Don't be a dick.' Rose's voice was laced with annoyance.

'Knock it off man.' Zayn shakes his head.

I smack the cup causing it to go all over my shirt and the floor. I quickly get up to grab paper towels from the kitchen. John's large frame was double over with laughter along with Stacy while everyone watched silently.

'Don't worry about it Liz, I'll have someone come clean it tomorrow.'

'I'm really sorry.' I stand going to the bathroom to attempt to clean myself up.

I close the lid then sit down on the toilet seat using tissues to wipe the wetness from my shirt. I reeked off some kind of cheap beer that clung to my shirt. There was no saving this shirt. 11:42 p.m. - I had to be home in eighteen minutes. I shove my phone back down into my pocket and hurry out of the bathroom.

'Rose, could you give me a ride home?'

'I'll do it.' Niall offers looking over at me before Rose could open her mouth. 'If you want.'

'That would be fine.' I agree heading towards the door.

'Call me first thing in the morning.' Rose speaks with a knowing smile.

'Oh, John...' Niall grabs a cup full of a dark liquid, 'for you.' with that Niall tosses the drink all over John's shirt with a grin.

The look on John's face said that he wanted to murder Niall but he doesn't make a move. John was about 6'1 and 210 pounds easily. Niall was around 5'8 and on the lighter side but his toned muscles were evident. I wait to see if John was going to charge Niall, but he doesn't.

'Come on.' Niall opens the door and leads the way to the elevator.

'He looked like he wanted to kill you.'

'He wouldn't dare because I'd have to break his nose, again.' Niall speaks rocking back and forth on the heel of his converse.

I follow Niall out of the apartment's lobby and to the dark parking lot. Niall walks a few feet in front of me as he digs through his pockets. I follow him to the black shiny car and wait by the passenger side.

'Oh wait, I have a shirt in the back.' Niall unlocks the car and bends over into the backseat.

Niall tosses me a white tee shirt and waits outside of the car while I rip my soiled shirt off. Niall's shirt fits loosely but comfortable. The material had a hint of cigarette smoke on it with a mixture of detergent.

'I'm dressed.' I announce allowing Niall to slide in beside me. 'And thank you.'

'Don't mention, I have plenty of shirts to spare.'

'For the shirt and for what you did up there.'

'Someone needed to.' he shrugs starting the car up. 'John's an obnoxious drunk.'

'How do you know him?'

'Long story,' Niall pulls out of the parking lot and onto the street, 'so, you have to be home by a certain time?'

'Midnight.'

'Who are you? Cinderella or something?' Niall stiffs out a laugh looking over at me.

'What kind of car is this?' I ask changing the subject.

'1965 Mustang Fastback.' Niall answers proudly running his hand across the leather material.

'How'd you come across this car?'

'It used to my grandfathers. My dad doesn't use it so I take care of her.'

'Does she have a name?'

'No, she doesn't.' he shakes his head holding back his laughter.

We get to my house a little after midnight but I could all of the lights were out in the house. I unbuckle my seat belt and slide out of his car.

'Thanks for the ride.'

'See you on Monday.'

I watch as his car pulls away from the curb and continues on down the road.