Canon

forty one.

For the remainder of the night, Niall slept peacefully. Ever so often I would sit up to study him but he never moved. Sometime late in the night I finally fall into my very own slumber. The next morning, I roll over to an empty bed hearing the shower running in the other room. I kick out of the sheets and head out into the living room to wait for Niall. Denise and Greg were sound asleep on the long leather sofa so I just sit in one of the tall stools in the kitchen. Niall emerges from the bathroom in nothing more than a pair of black Calvin Klein briefs. His tattoos were perfectly showcased as he dried his hair with a fluffy white towel.

‘I didn’t think you’d be up.’ He speaks walking over to me to kiss my forehead, ‘Do you want breakfast?’

‘Yes.’ I agree, ‘but first, could I take a shower? Then possibly borrow a pair of sweats and a shirt or something?’

‘Coming right up.’ He replies with a short nod, ‘come with me.’ Niall says as he extends his hand out to me.

I sit on the bathroom’s counter while Niall goes into his room to get something for me to wear. He hands me a washcloth and an identical fluffy white towel.

‘I’m starting to regret not waiting for you. We could’ve showered together and saved some water.’

‘Somehow, I’ll live.’ I tease lifting Niall’s shirt over my head, ‘see you in a few?’

‘Oh the things you do to me.’ He groans, closing the door behind him.

I stand in the large shower letting the hot water hit my skin. I close my eyes wondering how I’m going to convince my dad to sitting down at dinner with Niall. He and Niall didn’t get off on the best foot but I just need to make him see what I see in Niall. I would just leave out the parts of Niall and I sneaking around his back for the last few months. I couldn’t bear to even think of what he’d do if he found out I was sleeping in Niall’s bed at night with nothing more than his shirt on. I shudder, shaking the thought from my mind and turn off the water to get out. I wrap my body with the towel and stand in front of the mirror to get dressed. I bend over to dry off my legs when the door pushes open.

‘Niall!’ I shriek, ready to hit Niall’s arm for bursting into the bathroom.

‘Shit!’ Greg shouts covering his eyes, ‘I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I thought Niall was in the shower not you.’ Greg attempts to explain while closing the doors with covered eyes.

I grab Niall’s clothes from the counter along with the shirt I wore last night and scurry into Niall’s bedroom and closing the door behind me.

‘What the hell is he shouting about?’ Niall wonders pulling his black jeans on his pale legs. ‘Don’t tell me he went in the bathroom.’

‘On accident.’ I defend quickly throwing Niall’s shirt over my head and pulling his sweats on, ‘Your brother just saw me naked oh my god.’ I cover my face sitting back on the bed, ‘I am not showing my face out there.’

‘Okay what degree of nakedness are we discussing here?’

‘Well, I was bending over to dry my legs off with the towel and that’s when the door opened.’

‘Were you facing towards or away from the door?’

‘Towards.’ I mutter allowing myself to fall back on my bed.

‘I’m going to kill him.’ Niall yanks a white tee shirt from his drawer.

‘Niall, no!’ I jump up from the bed to wrap my arms around his warm skin, ‘you will definitely make it that much worse. Please, please, please don’t say anything.’

‘Fine.’ He sighs sitting down on the bed pulling me with him, ‘I hate the fact that anyone but me saw this.’ he murmurs running his finger up and down my frame.

‘Especially your older brother.’ I laugh burying my face into his skin, ‘are you still coming over for dinner tonight?’

‘I think you’re going to have to convince your father more than you’re going to need to convince me.’ He replies running a hand through my hair, ‘but yeah, I’ll be there. I don’t know how this is going to go but I’ll show up for you. I swear to God Lizette, if your dad starts his shit I’m not the best at holding my tongue. I will not mind telling hi-…’

‘Stop.’ I place a hand over his mouth to cut of Niall’s heated sentence, ‘No negative thoughts, all right?’

‘Only for you.’

‘I love you.’

‘I love you.’ Niall repeats with a small grin.

‘I am going to get going so we can plan for dinner and then somehow figure a way so I can go with you to Ireland.’

‘Please, don’t.’

‘I will see you later.’ I kiss Niall’s lips, ‘Walk me out so I don’t have to face Greg alone?’

‘Okay.’ He finally gives in and rolls out of the bed with an unhappy groan.

Greg and Denise were standing near the door, on their way out when they see us walk down the hallway. Greg opens his mouth but quickly closes it. Denise hides her oncoming giggle while Niall ushers me down the hallway.

‘Going down? We can all ride together.’ Denise opens the door and leads the way down the hallway.

‘Great.’ I whisper to Niall, holding onto his arm as a shield.

‘Not a word.’ Niall tells his older brother for my benefit, ‘I mean it.’

‘Listen, Lizette. I’m sorry about what happened back there. I’m just used to it being just the fellas. I should’ve knocked but I will not make that mistake again. Sorry.’ Greg speaks which surprises Niall and me.

‘Thanks Greg.’ I say in return as the elevator doors slide into one another. ‘I will see you later on tonight.’ I look up at Niall while we stand near my car.

‘See you later baby.’ He retorts taking his eyes off of Greg and Denise who were sliding down into Denise’s gently used Sedan. ‘I love you.’

‘I love you too, bye.’ Niall and I share a quick kiss before I’m leaving the parking lot behind Greg and Denise.

When I make it home my dad is gone to work following up on the party incident while my mom was in the nursery with Elijah. I change my clothes before heading into the nursery to see her.

‘Mom, I’m in need of a favor.’

‘What is it?’

‘Well, I invited Niall over for dinner tonight so dad can know the guy that I know. I really hate keeping this from him and I just want him to be happy for me. I was hoping that you would maybe ease him into sitting down for an hour or so for dinner?’

‘You actually invited him over? I really wish you would have talked to me ahead of time. I could possibly ease your dad into it over a period of days not hours.’

‘I’m not hearing a no…’ I lean forward on the white changing table, ‘please?’

‘I’ll see what I can do.’

‘Thank you!’ I beam heading down to my room to find something to wear tonight and text Niall.

A few hours later, my dad comes into the house as he loosens his tie. From the pleasant look on his face, my mom hadn’t told him the news yet.

‘Hi, honey.’ My mom smiles from the kitchen, ‘can I talk to you for a second?’

Here goes nothing.
♠ ♠ ♠
hope everyone enjoyed chapter 41! feel free to leave comments/suggestions or recommendations. come back on friday to see what happens next!