Canon

forty nine.

‘Daddy, daddy!’ Ginny beams, her tiny legs racing towards the now open front door. ‘You’re home! We waited on you!’

‘You did?’ His deep voice laced with amusement while talking to his small daughter. He then lifts up Ginny into his arms and attacks her small face with kisses. She squeals and giggles with a genuine delight while playing with her father. She lets out an unpleased grunt as soon as her small feet touch the ground but is instantly satisfied when her father holds her hand in his. ‘What do I owe this pleasure Tara? Hello, Jack.’ He crouches down to ruffle the boy’s hair.

‘Dad wanted to see if you would be able to come by and check on the car sometime before tomorrow morning.’

‘I’m sorry but we have guests over for dinner as you can see so just let him know that I will make my way over there first thing in the morning.’

‘Will do, later uncle Mac.’ Tara offers Maura a wave as she makes her way to the door with the small boy in front of her. I wanted to desperately chase her down in the street and ask whether he was her son or some kind of close relative.

Then the tall man, with crow-like hair and piercing green eyes makes his way over to Niall and I with a warm, inviting grin on his face. He extends a large hand out to Niall first which Niall hesitantly accepts. ‘Cormac Gallagher, everyone just calls me Mac.’ He introduces himself proudly, ‘Your mother has told me so many things about you. It’s great to finally meet you. You must be, Lizette.’ Mac directs his attention to me once Niall awkwardly drops his hand after a few short firm pumps.

‘Yes, great to meet you.’ I smile in return.

‘I must apologize for my rude niece,’ Mac laughs gesturing towards the door, ‘she didn’t bother introducing herself but that was Tara and her son Jack, ‘but I do believe that Maura mentioned that you and Tara went to grade school together.

‘We did.’ Niall swallows loudly beside me running a hand through his hair. ‘Did he say son?’ he whispers under his breath towards me.

Tara’s son somehow looked exactly what I would imagine toddler Niall looking like. He had his piercing blue eyes and his pointy nose. The only thing I couldn’t match were his pouty lips but then again Tara’s were nearly identical. Could Niall have actually gotten her pregnant and she kept it from him for the last three or four years?

‘Well come on, everyone let’s go into the dining area. It’s smells amazing Mar.’ he leans down to greet his wife with a short yet passionate kiss. Beside me, Niall scrunches up his face with a hint of disgust. I let a small giggle escape as I follow him into the dining area. ‘I am going to have myself a drink, Niall do you want anything?’

‘Just a cold one if you don’t mind.’

‘And you Lizette?’

‘I’m fine, thank you.’ I say looking at the glass of water in front of me.

‘So how long have the two of you been together?’ Maura asks curiously once we were all sitting around the table. I look at Niall at the same time he looks at me. I didn’t know how to explain this delicate situation to his mother. Technically, Niall and I weren’t together I guess people could argue.

‘For about six months.’ Niall places a large hand on my thigh underneath the table, ‘we met in one of our classes at school.’

‘And how is my boy in class Lizette?’ Maura fixates her blue eyes on me with a small smile, ‘is he behaving himself and making good grades?’

‘Niall is one of the smartest people in our senior class,’ I answer proudly looking over at Niall.

‘Are you looking at any colleges back here at home Niall?’ Mac wonders taking a short sip of his beer in front of him, ‘there are some excellent ones around.’

‘I’ve just been sticking to the states.’ Niall answers not bothering to make eye contact with her stepfather.

During dinner, Maura and Mac took turns trying to get any information out of Niall they could in the short time we were there. Mac invited Niall out to one of the Derby home games seeing how he has connections with the owner. Niall offers him a shrug and a “we’ll see” finishing off his drink. Maura attempts to ease the tension by telling stories about Niall’s childhood but I could tell it was only making him uncomfortable. A wave of relief washes over me as we say our goodnight’s and head out to the black rental car.

‘There’s no way.’ Niall mutters as he sits down on the side of the bed once we were back at the hotel after having dinner with his mom and her husband. ‘It’s impossible.’

I briefly open my mouth before quickly closing it. I spent the entire thirty-minute car ride preparing myself for the conversation that I knew was quickly approaching us yet I came up with nothing. Niall on the other hand spent his thirty minutes ranting and rambling about there was no possible way that Tara’s son could be his. The brown ceiling fan spun around in swift circles, over and over. I stare silently attempting to count just how many times it could go in a minute while Niall stood behind me removing his shirt and jeans.

‘I really wish that you would say something,’ Niall suddenly chimes, ‘this silence is driving the hell out of me.’ I could hear the desperation in his voice but I couldn’t make out a coherent sentence in the moment.

‘I just don’t what to say,’ I turn around on the bed to face his ink-drenched skin. Whenever I looked at all of Niall’s tattoos it was like I was walking around this one of a kind art gallery. No matter how many times I studied his tattoos I still found myself intrigued by the different designs.

‘Just tell me what you’re thinking right now, that’s a start.’ Niall replies as he flops down into the bed placing his toned arms behind his head to prop himself up. ‘From the look on your face when she came in their I could tell you thought the exact same thing as I did. Didn’t you?’

Tara and Niall could possibly have a child together. A child. I know how extremely selfish it was but I couldn’t think of anything other than how this would change everything for us. He would have a child in a completely different country. Either he would take off and stay in Mullingar or I would have to see him and Tara walking around together back home. The mother of the child will always come before the unofficial girlfriend. Always. It wouldn’t be Niall and Lizette. It would be Niall, Lizette, Jack, and Tara. I could feel Niall’s intense stare burning holes into my back as I wordlessly sat there.

‘I think that you need to sit down with Tara and talk to her about it. I don’t what to say until I know whether or not he’s your child or not.’ I finally say standing up to my feet to go into the bathroom. ‘You have a right to know.’

I go into the bathroom and quietly close the door behind me. I lean against the counter studying my reflection as the bathtub filled up. I picture my life a year ago and just how simple it was compared to know. Last year, I had a great relationship with my parents and my biggest worry was which college I would be going to or whether I got my homework done a full three days in advance. The greatest thing that has ever happened to me definitely didn’t come without a price. After stripping I slide down into the hot water and briefly wince as I settle in. I keep my eyes on the door waiting for Niall to invite himself in but he never does. Not even to make some half-serious joke about joining me. Once I finished my bath I pull a pair of shorts and a tank top before emerging from the bathroom. Niall was lying on the bed with his eyes closed as he slept on his stomach. I turn off the light before climbing inside the bed beside him. I snuggle up next to Niall and rest my head on his tattoo-covered back.

‘I love you, so much.’ I whisper pressing my lips to his cool skin. ‘I don’t want to lose you. Ever.’

‘Is everything thing okay? Are you having trouble sleeping?’ Niall mutters hoarsely as he rolls over onto his back.

‘No, I’m okay.’ I reply mentally slapping myself for interrupting his peaceful slumber.

‘I love you baby.’ He wraps an arm around me and was softly snoring once again before I knew it.