Canon

fifty four.

Niall pulls into the Cheddars parking lot and comes to a stop. He grumbles at the loud group of teenagers pushing each other towards the entrance. I reach over, giving his large hand a firm squeeze.

‘Are you sure you don't want to go back to the apartment and order a pizza or something?’ He wonders leaning his head against the leather seat, ‘I'll even let you get that spinach shit on it – only half Lizette, I have my limit .’

‘Tempting but we’re here now aren't we?’

‘Okay.’ He mutters opening his door to meet me in front of the car, ‘can we not mention Jack? I don't care about Rose or whatever but she's just a short line to Zayn, who's a short line to Damon.’

‘Of course, we won't mention it.’ I agree as he extends his hand out to me.

I happily take his hand allowing him to lead the way to the entrance. While in Ireland, I grew used to Niall showing affection, especially in public. Now that we were back home a part of me worried that it would wear off soon enough.

‘Rose!’ I beam running over to her after the hostess walks us to the back.

‘Lizzie!’ She immediately leaves Zayn’s side throwing her arms around me.

Zayn waves from his seat, his dark hair now shorter than before. Niall nervously clears his throat sitting down in one of the empty chairs.

‘You've just spent the last two weeks out of the country – I want to hear everything.’ Rose urges before I could open the menu.

‘Well, we just went site seeing and hung around. It was pretty laid back, I'm sure you two did something more interesting than us.’ I respond, attempting to get the attention off of our time in Ireland.

‘We spent the most of the time in the cabin upstate.’ She looks over at Zayn and the two share a smirk. Niall subtly makes a gagging motion causing me to stiff out a laugh.

During dinner, Niall and Zayn share a few words just to pass the time. I could tell Rose and I were easily enjoying it more than them. Under the table, Niall places a hand on my thigh silently twirling his straw in his glass.

‘Do you mind if we stop at my place?’ I question once Niall and I get in the car.

‘Sure.’ He agrees already reaching over to place a hand on my thigh.

‘See, dinner wasn't so bad.’ I take a second to gloat, remembering Niall’s hesitation.

‘Yeah, yeah. I much rather have spent the last hour eating something else.’ He wiggles his eyebrows at me as he carefully pulls out of the parking lot.

‘You are terrible!’ I could feel my face and body grow warm with his comment.

‘Don't act like you don't like it.’

The ride to my house came quicker than I wanted I didn't know what I was going to do or say – if they let me in that is. I didn't feel like having yet another fight with my dad, not tonight. Niall gives me a supportive smile as he stops in front of the house.

‘Wish me luck.’

‘You don't need it.’ He leaves a kiss on my forehead.

I swallow, using my clammy hand to open the door. I decide to buy myself a few seconds by walking to the back door. I try to use my key but the locks had been changed. Of course. Rattling the door knob, frustratedly I get the attention of my mom. Securely in her arm was my little brother Elijah. I had only been gone for a few weeks but he looked so big at this point. She immediately rushed over to open the door to unlock it.

‘Lizzie!’ She cries throwing a free arm around me, ‘what in the hell were you thinking?! Do not stay away from me ever again. I have been worried sick. We've missed you so much.’

‘I've missed you too, mom.’

‘Let me look at you, are you okay?’

‘The door lock’s changed so I'm guessing he's doing much better than I am.’

‘You know how your father is – always trying to make a point.’

‘I can't just drop someone I love to make him happy. He can't make me.’

‘Love?’ She questions, her eyebrows raising with surprise.

‘I wouldn't be fighting him so hard on this if I didn't.’

‘I will talk to him when he comes home.’

‘Okay thank you, I'm staying with Niall so I just wanted to come and get some clothes.’

‘You haven't been here for weeks and you're already leaving?’

‘I'm sorry I just can't fight with him.’

‘Call me first thing in the morning.’

Before my dad comes home I grab a duffle bag from the closet to stuff a few days worth of clothes in it.

‘Take care of yourself.’ My mom calls as I rush to the door, ‘I love you.’

‘Love you.’ I repeat, slipping out the door to join Niall.

‘There she is,’ Niall offers a small grin as he stuffs his phone into his tight jeans, ‘I don't see any smoke or hear any gun shots – I take it went well?’

‘Dad’s not here.’

‘Well do you want to wait for him or something?’

‘No not tonight.’ I settle back into my seat as the classic mustang roars to life. ‘I just want you all to myself.’

‘That can be arranged.’ He smirks in return pulling away from the street.

The moment we make it into the apartment Niall easily tosses my bag onto the sofa. I kick my legs around his waist as he lifts me into the air. He lifts my shirt over my head clumsily stumbling as he tosses it. I feel my back pressed against the cool wall as we make out way down the dark, narrow hallway.

‘I love you.’ I laugh pulling back to speak as we fall onto the bed.

‘I love you.’ He murmurs pressing his lips to mine again, ‘so much.’

He slips his warm hands in between mine, leaving kisses on my skin. As I try to catch my breath, he silently fumbled around with the button on my pants.

‘Your shirt’s still on.’

‘Hold on.’ He replies pulling back briefly to stare at me attentively. Even if it was a few seconds, I missed his touch. The moment he removes his shirt I allow my hands to slowly trace over his tattoos. ‘That better?’

‘Very much.’

I eventually fall asleep as I listen to Niall slowing his breathing. When I wake in the morning I decided to raid his cabinets.

‘Good morning,’ Niall speaks leaning against the doorway, ‘everything okay?’

‘You have absolutely no food.’ I whine walking into his bare arms.

‘How about we get dressed and go to the store or something?’

‘Can I use your shower really quick?’

‘Help yourself.’ He nods going to flop down on the sofa.

I get dressed in a pair of jeans and a tee shirt, stealing one of Niall’s sweatshirts in the process.

‘Remind me to ask you to wear nothing but that later.’

Niall and I arrive at whole foods, which was crowded as usual. I slip my arm through his as I follow him through the expansive aisles. As we're waiting for an older woman to walk past he sneaks a quick kiss.

‘So what are we getting?’ He wonders pursing his lips as pushes the basket.

‘Well I can make you dinner.’

‘Really?’ His bright blue eyes stare at me with an interested smile.

‘Haven't I made you dinner before?’

‘I would’ve definitely remembered that.’

‘Well tonight I will.'