Canon

fifty eight.

‘So are you gonna go?’ Rose leans forward in her seat with her dainty hands supporting her chin, ‘I mean you can’t just not go – it’s Georgetown.’ She had been asking questions nonstop since I told her the news.

‘I know, I know.’ I glance over my shoulder for the tenth time, anticipating Niall walking through the door at any given moment. The bell was bound to ring any minute and knowing him he’d walk in literally seconds before it did.

‘I swear Lizette if you don’t go I will go in your place. I’m not joking.’ She points a narrow, manicured finger at me, quickly looking over at Zayn, ‘tell her she should go.’

‘You should go.’ Zayn nods, agreeing with his girlfriend. I could tell that he wasn’t really paying attention but he put on the show for Rose’s benefit. ‘Not every day you get accepted to college.’ His thick, dark eyebrows furrowed together with annoyance. Rose filled me in on how he played around just a little too long and his GPA was lacking. Apparently, he said he knew some people he could work for after graduation so he wasn’t too worried about it I guess.

‘But it’s NYU – and New York. You know I’ve always wanted to live in the city.’

‘You can go to the city all you want after you go to Georgetown.’ Rose argues, ‘Don’t go to NYU just because you like New York – I guarantee if that’s your sole reason, you’ll start to hate it. And definitely do not go just because Niall is going – you guys will be fine after graduation.’ She offers Zayn a small smile as he turns in his seat to look at her. I couldn’t tell if she was giving me a quick pep talk about my relationship or was she speaking to Zayn. Probably both.

I open my mouth to reply when Niall quietly drops his green backpack on the floor before sliding into his seat. He offers me a silent smile, stretching his long legs in front of him under the tiny desk.

‘Does he know?’ Rose wordlessly mouths, not so subtlety at Niall causing Zayn to stifle out an embarrassed laugh.

Niall glances up but quickly directs his eyes at his phone once again. I shake my head from left to right not taking my eyes from him. I preoccupy myself by drawing small circles on his back during class with the tip of my finger.

‘Someone’s anxious, what’s wrong?’ He questions not facing me.

‘Nothing’s wrong, I always draw circles on you.’ I point out coming to brief stop.

‘Yeah when you’re bored they’re nice and slow but when you’re nervous or anxious they’re big and sloppy. I think you’re about to break skin with your finger and how hard you’re pressing it.’ Niall reads me like an open book, finally turning in his seat to meet my eyes. ‘What’s the matter?’

‘I need to talk to you, after school.’ I confess, wanting to share the news of Georgetown. All night I thought about how we could make it work if we do go to separate schools. NYU and Georgetown were just 237 miles apart – about four hours if driving. I could drive two hours and he could drive two hours, maybe meet somewhere in between on the weekends. I could go to New York and he could come to Washington D.C. The flight from each place is even shorter, just an hour in the air. I could manage that, if it meant making us work. I just had to talk to Niall about it and see if it was something he’d want to do.

‘That doesn’t sound good.’ He mutters, nearly dropping his phone on the ground. ‘Is everything okay?’

‘Yeah, everything’s fine.’ I give him an assuring nod as he studies my face for a clue.

Finally, homeroom was over and Niall and I were on our way to trigonometry. I was practically sitting on pins and needles, trying to think about how I would make the choice between schools.

‘Jack’s coming this weekend.’ Niall informs me while we weave our way through the fellow graduating seniors.

‘Aw really he’s coming here?’

‘Yeah, Tara’s mom has some thing in Chicago so they’re just gonna drop Jack off that Friday and get him Sunday night before their flight.’ He nods, as I slip my hand through his trying to get through the mass of people. ‘Do you think it’s the right thing? I’ve only had him for a few hours at the most. I think you and I both remember how pissed he got when we left the zoo? So many things could go wrong while he’s under my watch.’ Niall rambles nervously, picking at the piece of skin on his thumb.

‘I think that you need this,’ I say in return, ‘you have to spend time with him so you can get used to it and he can get to know you. It’ll be fine and I’ll definitely help you if you need it.’

‘I guess Greg will be back too.’

‘You don’t sound to excited, he has been gone for awhile.’

‘Yeah, I know.’ He mutters, pulling the door open for me, ‘you were definitely a better roommate.’

The day feels like it drags on for ages. In every one of my classes I gaze impatiently at the clock, begging it to go faster. Even gym went by annoyingly too long, even with the help of Niall’s sarcasm. After getting changed out of my gym clothes I meet Niall at the back door to go to my car.

‘So, see you in a later on?’ He wonders, resting his chin on the door.

‘If you say please,’ I taunt with a smile. 1

‘Please, baby.’ Niall murmurs making my stomach twirl with butterflies.

‘Alright, I’ll see you in a little bit.’

‘I love you.’

‘I love you too.’ I chime just as he closes the door. As I’m driving out the parking lot I could see Niall making his way over to his car.

When I get home my dad’s out on the patio grilling his specialty burgers, that he takes an embarrassing amount of pride in. Clearly he was overcompensating for me being home. My mom’s sat on the sofa, rocking back and forth making baby sounds to get Elijah to giggle, which he happily did.

‘How was school?’ She wonders, briefly removing her eyes from my tiny baby brother.

‘It was good,’ I shrug, flopping down on the sofa beside her. ‘Nothing out of the ordinary.’

‘What’s wrong, Liz?’

‘I have a little dilemma.’ I murmur, hoping my dad wouldn’t come in. ‘I got into NYU, too. I just found out a few night’s ago.’

‘You got in?!’ She nearly squeals, with bright eyes. ‘I am so, so proud of you honey – how on earth is that a dilemma?’

‘Because of Georgetown.’ I gesture to the sweatshirt that was still at the kitchen table from last night, ‘both of them are such great schools.’

‘And you don’t know where you want to go.’ She concludes, nodding her head several times.

‘Hey Lizard,’ My dad calls as he slides back into the kitchen wiping his hand on his cheesy “kiss the chef apron”, ‘why didn’t you tell us that Rose got into UCLA?’

‘It slipped my mind honestly with all the excitement from yesterday.’

‘Your brilliant daughter over here got NYU.’ My mom claps her hands happily and my mouth nearly drops open. She kept that to herself for a full two minutes. In her defense, I didn’t tell her to not tell him yet. I was getting there.

‘NYU? I knew it was a good day to cook up my famous burgers.’

‘I think this calls for a mini celebration, do you want to invite Niall over?’ my mom suggests, catching me off guard. I glance over at my dad who was clearly taken aback too.

‘There’s plenty of burgers.’ He simply says, yeah he was definitely overcompensating. Part of me wonder if this was the time to ask for that rose gold iPad I’ve been beginning for since Christmas.

‘I will see if he’s free.’ I grab my backpack before heading back towards my room. Dropping my bag on the bed, I press Niall’s number and waits as it rings.

‘Hey baby-’he answers and I could see the grin on his face already, ‘are you on your way?’

‘Not exactly.’ I reply laying down across the bed, ‘how would you like to have dinner here tonight? My dad made burgers. I know how special McDonald’s is to you but his are pretty amazing.’

The line goes painfully silent for a few long seconds. I had to pull the phone away from my ear just to make sure he was still there. Niall was probably thinking about his first time having dinner here and how bad it went.

‘Niall?’ I question after awhile, ‘you still there?’

‘What time should I get there?’ He questions, instantly making me feel warm.

‘Now, if you can. He’s gonna keep raving about his burgers until we eat.’ I laugh and so does Niall before he tells me he’s on his way, with that the line goes dead. ‘He’s on his way.’ I inform my parents and my dad again, doesn’t flinch or tense.

Maybe he actually was being genuine this time and has finally came around to Niall.