Canon

six.

The next day in Trigonometry Niall quietly takes the seat behind me again. In his large palms was his camera as he pushed the small buttons making light noises.

'Morning.' Niall speaks behind me slightly leaning forward.

'Good morning.' I smile before turning back in my seat. 'How are you?'

'It is high school.' He reminds me with a stifled laugh. 'How great can one be?'

'Hey, it's not all bad.'

'Oh really? Give me one good reason that high school isn't a complete bore?'

'Well,' i bite my bottom lip as I glance around the room as a bright orange paper catches my eye, 'formal is always fun and it's in two weeks.'

'Don't remind me.' Niall scoffs annoyed, 'girls put hours and hours into their hair and makeup that'll sweat off in the smelly gym while guys are forced to sit around in a tight monkey suits.'

'So I take it you're not going?'

'You would not catch me at formal.' Niall says just as the bell rings and Dr. Werner closes the wooden door.

After Trigonometry I gather my books in my hands before walking out of the room. I breathe heavily as people were lined up purchasing tickets to formal. The next few weeks would be nothing but formal. Boys would bring flowers to school to ask their dates. The gym's bleachers would be replaced with decorations each class day. Even more so with Rose around, it's one of the many things she'll go on and on about. Zayn doesn't strike me as the formal type like I should've expected with Niall.

'Whoa, slow down. I swear you're leaving a fire trail behind you.' Niall teases walking beside me. 'So, I was wanting to ask you something.'

'You were?'

'Yeah, I wanted to know if you got those last few problems for homework.'

'Yeah, sure. You didn't?'

'Nah, I was texting with the neighbor.'

'I'll let you see mine. When do you want to copy them down?'

'If I'm late to History again Mr. Cano will chew me out and spit me out. Could you text them to me during your next class?'

'I don't have your number.' I point out easing my way through the mass of people.

'What's yours? I'll text you from my phone.'

I write my phone number on a piece of paper before handing it to me in front of my class. This would be the second day Niall walked me to class, unintentionally, but still.

'Alright, better go before I'm late.' He shoves the piece of paper into his ripped black skinny jeans before hurrying off.

I walk into the room to receive a few knowing looks as I take my seat. About twenty minutes into class my phone buzzes against my desk. I unlock it to see I had a new message from an unfamiliar number.

sending the first text is actually awkward as hell.

i'm assuming this is niall?

are you just giving your number out to anyone today where you forget who was supposed to text you?

'Miss. Matthews - I hope that's not a cell phone I see.'

'Not anymore.' I call in return dropping the phone into my bag.

'Thank you.'

My phone buzzes a few times throughout the class and it was torture to not read the messages. As soon as class ended I pull my phone out before walking out the door.

shit i hope you didn't take that the wrong way.

you do know i was kidding right?

I smile to myself as I reply to Niall's messages.

yes i know you were joking. i had to put my phone away.

do you ever go against the rules?

no actually

wipe that sarcastic smirk off of your face

I glance around the hall but see no sign of Niall.

how'd you know?

because you always have that sarcastic smirk when you're trying to be a smartass

lunch?

i gotta take care of something so maybe next time thanks for the notes

I go get a cheeseburger from the line and head over to the table in the back. As I'm untwisting the cap to the Gatorade lid Louis and Liam slid into the empty chairs.

'Hey babe.' Liam grins tearing into his hamburger wrapper. 'Where's Rose?'

'Hey. Doctor's appointment.' I nod in return tilting my head back to drink. 'How's it going?'

'Getting ready for lacrosse tryouts.' Louis answers running his hand across the stubble on his chin.

'You guys want to play lacrosse?' I raise an eyebrow, unconvinced.

'Sure. You get out of classes all time and everyone knows the lacrosse team is untouchable.' Louis stiffs out a laugh while Liam nods along. 'Since you don't have a soccer team, why not?'

'I don't know about your reasons but good luck.'

'Thanks.' Liam grins across the table adjusting his red and black snapback.

'So, has anyone seen Niall?' I ask curiously attempting to stay subtle but fail.

'Niall's never at lunch for some odd reason. He'll get in his car and come back before next period.' Liam explains with a simple shrug.

'Probably sneaking away to read the latest novel.' Louis stiffs out a sarcastic laugh with an annoyed expression across his face. 'You know him.'

'Better get off to tryouts.' Liam tosses what was left on his tray and disappears with Louis.

'Lizette!' Scott calls throwing his lacrosse bag over his shoulders as he jogged out of the cafeteria.

'What is it now?'

'Coach his riding me about passing tomorrow's calculus test and you're the smartest person I know. I was wondering if maybe you could help me?' Scott blinks his deep brown eyes as he shifts over. 'I know this is awkward but I don't know who else to ask.'

'Come over to my house after practice.'

'Thanks so much Liz, see you then.'

'No problem.'

A crack of deafening thunder hits the dark grey air as I go inside of the crowded gym. Coach sat on the bleachers with his large thumbs tapping away at his iPhone. Everyone was sat inside of the gym with dozens of voices going off at once. I take a seat beside some girl from my English class and pull my phone out.

'So we're not running today it's looking pretty bad out there.' Coach announces after awhile and the room erupts with cheers, 'don't worry we'll make it up next week. Just sit here until the bell rings.' Coach concludes as my phone buzzes in my palms.

hey come outside - Niall

I look at my phone and back at the coach who was already consumed in his game of Candy Crush. I grab my backpack and head out of the side door before anyone actually noticed.
♠ ♠ ♠
so i hope you enjoyed chapter six! if you liked it be sure to comment, subscribe, or recommend the story to a friend. have a great day!