Canon

sixty.

I nervously shudder while repositioning the bag on my shoulder. Suddenly, I regretted parking so far away from the main entrance this morning. From the driver’s seat, John flicks his lit cigarette out the window offering me a wave of his hand. In a split second, Louis almost looks sorry for me. He turns his attention the other way as Damon laughs loudly along with John. He wouldn’t dare to speak up, not against Damon. I attempt to subtlety send Niall a text before lowering my phone. What would happen if he rushed out here right now? The three of them could easily drag him off while pushing me aside.

‘I have a short lunch, so while catching up has been so much fun I better get going.’ I throw my shoulders back, walking to my car that much faster.

‘Oh, there’s that snarky tone of yours I adore so much.’ Damon grins as he leaps from the tall SUV. He throws his cigarette over his shoulder while jogging to catch up to me, ‘You’ve always fascinated me so much Lizzie. I could see why Irish is so fond of you. The only thing, I can’t comprehend is why you allowed him to take your most sacred jewel from you. I’m sure you have plenty of guys begging to get into your jeans.’ A chill runs down my spine as Damon eyes me disgustingly.

‘Look Damon I really don’t have tim-…’ I start before he pulls me back into him with a swift motion.

‘I’m sure you have time for a friend, just to pass on a quick little message to your personal watch dog. Speaking of, where exactly is Irish hiding at today? Aren’t you two usually attached at the hip and what not?’

‘You said you had a message.’ I clip, wanting to end this encounter with Damon.

‘Right, just let your lover know I haven’t forgot about repaying him for how so graciously he treated back at our little soirée. He can go to Ireland and stash that pesky drug-itching brother of his. I know where his drunk off his ass father lives, I know where he lives in that cushy little apartment of his, and most importantly I know where the girl he likes to roll around in the sheets with lives.’ Damon pulls me that much closer to him. I could smell the early morning beer on his lips and the stale cigarettes on his jacket.

‘Then you should also know where my dad lives, the Chief of police with his many, many weapons.’ I attempt to yank my arm away from him. ‘Or should I just call him right now?’

‘Funny, naive Lizzie-..’ Damon smirks tightening his grip on my arm as he shakes his head, ‘Your dad may scare your little boyfriend, but I’m sure Irish has told you I know my way around a weapon fairly well.’ With that he releases me harshly, almost shoving me to the ground. ‘Pass that along for me, will you? Now run along, I don’t want you to miss your lunch. A growing girl’s gotta eat.’

I watch from the parking lot as the black SUV speeds out of the parking lot, with someone throwing out a glass beer bottle on their way. My fingers graze the sore space on my arm, knowing there’d be a bruise before the end of the day. Suddenly I wasn’t so hungry.

Niall’s Point of View

I walk through the cafeteria, spotting Rose and Zayn at a table all to themselves. Where was Lizette? I fight the urge to ask cutting through the annoying conversations and slip out the side door. I spent half of my lunch avoiding potential death stares from Lizette and she wasn’t even in the cafeteria. I didn’t have enough time to get to McDonald’s and back seeing how they take an eternity every damn time. During Chemistry, Rose gave me pierced daggers for an hour - I’m guessing Lizette filled her in on last night. For the third time in 60 seconds, I found myself wondering where Lizette is.

Lizette’s Point of View

In gym, I tug at my short sleeved shirt already noticing the dark spot forming from Damon’s touch. Thank God I had a sweatshirt I could slip on before going face-to-face with Niall, if he didn’t skip to avoid me. Sure enough, he sat on one of the bleachers with his legs stretched out on his phone. He briefly glances up at me before directing his attention back again to the large screen. Without logically thinking I snatch it from his hands before folding my arms across my chest. He pulls his bottom lip in between his teeth, fighting off a smile.

‘What are you doing?’ He finally speaks to me for the first time all day.

‘You are such an asshole.’ I blurt, not able to hold in what I should’ve said all day any longer. His dark eyebrows furrow as he defensively folds his arms across his chest to study me. Almost as if he couldn’t believe the sentence I let fall from my mouth. ‘How could you constantly tell me how much you love me yet are willing to throw away everything away? Just because you’re afraid of a little commitment. I’ve shown you repeatedly that I would do anything for you - forgive you when you screw up, goes against my dad for you, not abandon you once you found out you had a son. You couldn’t even give me the same dedication, not even an ounce of it. So if you want to watch me leave this summer without attempting to fight for us, then don’t you dare tell me you love me again.’ With that I toss his phone carefully onto his lap, leaving him there with his thoughts.

Luckily we had a sub in gym once again so I hid away in the locker room, not bringing myself to face Niall again. I got one long rant out, I doubt I could do it again without my hands shaking. The moment the bell rings, I rush out the door going to my car to head home. My mom sat in the nursery while Elijah was sound asleep.

‘Hey Lizard, everything okay? You look a little worn?’

‘Senior year, just tired.’ I murmur heading off to my room before she could ask any other questions.

I pull the sweatshirt off to examine Damon’s handy work. Four long lines where his large fingers pressed wrapped around my upper arm. The door twists open with not enough time to shield my arm properly. Instead I throw my free hand across my arm turning towards the door. Unfortunately it wasn’t my mom. Niall stood in the door way with one hand shoved into his pocket and the other placed on the nape of his neck.

‘Your mom let me in.’ He almost whispers, ‘Sorry I should’ve knocked first.’

‘What are you doing here Niall?’ I question, pretending to be much more upset than I was allowing myself time to turn my back to him grabbing the throw blanket from my desk chair.

He silently strides across the room as I throw the blanket around my shoulders and sit down on my bed. Niall cautiously pulls the chair close enough to the bed sitting down across from me. He briefly opens his mouth before closing it again. I shift over in the bed, tightening the blanket around myself to study him.

‘I didn’t want to hear what you said in gym today, but I needed to hear it. You’re right - on it all. You were right to call me out on my bullshit,’ he pauses glancing at the cracked door, ‘I am an asshole and I was wrong for so-called doing what’s best for you. I don’t know how I forget just how smart you are, it’s one of the many things I love about you. And yes, love. I have a shitty way of showing it a lot of the time but I love you Liz. I’m in love with you. I’ve loved you since I first saw you in Trigonometry I’m pretty sure. I’m sorry.’ Niall confesses reaching his tattooed hand out towards me.

‘I know it was a little harsh.’ I reply slipping my fingers in between his, ‘I love you too.’

‘You were right on it all.’ He responds, ‘I guess that I thought I was smarter or braver by pushing you away before being apart of some long distance relationship. I’ve never done this whole relationship thing and I do take you granted a lot of the time. So, I want to ask you, officially, do you want to be my long distance girlfriend?’ Niall wonders catching me completely off guard.

Niall and I hadn’t talked about a “relationship” in months. He swore that relationships weren’t his things and how much he despised “labels” like girlfriend, boyfriend. His philosophy was let this just be whatever it is. I gave up on that fight a long time ago. ‘I do.’ I smile grabbing both of his hands, ‘but we really don’t have to - I don’t want to feel like I’m pressuring you into something you don’t like.’

‘You’re not. Believe me you’re not. I want this,’ he immediately interjects, ‘I am 110% in with you, Lizette. I’m not messing this up again.’

‘Okay, I will be your long-distance girlfriend.’ I beam throwing my arms around his neck.

Niall pushes the blanket aside in attempt to wrap his arms around me. I watch as he squints tightly pulling my arm into his hands. He looks at me then back to the forming bruise then back to me again. Just as he opens his mouth my mom walks down the hall with Elijah in her arms. Knowing he was bound to explode any minute with a thousand questions, I practically drag him out of the house and to his car.

‘Who the hell did that you?’ He pulls my arms to his deep blue eyes once again, ‘Lizette, who did that to you?’

‘Damon.’ I say as low as possible, afraid of what would happen next.

‘I’m sorry, I thought you said Damon. Because if Damon did this to you I’m going over there right now to kick his teeth in.’ Niall paces back and forth in front of the driver’s side door, with tight fists. ‘Where did you even see him? What happened? Why didn't you tell me?’ He rambles on and on, keeping his eyes focused on the road under his feet.

‘In the parking lot. He asked me to pass along a message to you. Something along the lines of making you pay for what happened at that party that night. He knows that you took Greg to Ireland. He knows where I live. I didn’t tell you because we weren’t exactly talking at the time.’

‘Lizette! You should've told me!’ Niall finally looks up to make eye contact, ‘what do you mean he knows? Don’t answer that, because I’m pretty sure it all started with fucking Zayn. I’m sorry, I know your friend likes him and all but I’m kicking his ass the moment I see him.’

‘Please, don’t.’ I forcibly bring him to a stop slipping my arms around his torso. ‘Please, I just need you to promise me you won’t do anything crazy. Niall, promise.’

‘I don’t think I can do that.’

‘Niall, please.’ I stare right in his eyes causing him to groan. His weakness.

‘Baby, don’t give me those eyes. Not right now.’

‘Please.’

‘Fine.’ He finally caves in, ‘I have to keep you safe. I don’t know what I’d do if I got you all wrapped up in my shitty excuse for a life.’

‘And I don’t know what I’d do if I let you storm off and do something reckless and get yourself hurt.’

‘I won’t do anything reckless.’

‘Or look for Damon, John, Louis, or any other person.’

‘Alright.’ He says wrapping his arms around me once more. ‘For you, but if he comes near you or me or anyone, I’m killing him.’

‘Stop.’ I mutter into his chest allowing my fingers to dance up and down his back. ‘Do you want to get dinner, boyfriend?’

‘You’re so cheesy.’ He tilts his head back with genuine laughter, ‘I’d love to.’

‘Just let me get my jacket and tell my mom I’m leaving.’ I kiss his lips quickly before rushing into the house.

Niall and I decide to get Chinese at one of our favorite takeout places before going to his apartment to watch some bad SyFy movie. Later that night, he walks me to my door pressing me against it to bend down closer to me.

‘My dad’s inside.’ I murmur close to his lips, dying for contact.

‘I don’t care.’ He stifles out a laugh pressing his lips to mine, ‘we could go to my car and relive that night during winter break.’

‘I will see you tomorrow.’ I shake my head at him feeling my face go warm. ‘Maybe we can try to beat your record of three rounds from Ireland tomorrow night.’

‘Don’t you know that you will never get into that house talking to me like that.’ He lightly presses me into the door that much more. I could hear my parents talking a few feet away.

‘I have homework.’

‘Such a procrastinator. I’ll see you tomorrow, I love you.’

‘I love you.’ I repeat kissing him one more time before watching as he walks to his car. He waves before his dark classic Mustang disappears down the street.