Canon

sixty seven.

Niall’s Point of View

I look over at Lizette who doesn’t say a word. I was thankful that she wasn’t spouting off with her usual never-ending line of questions. On the other hand, I hated her silence. It was almost numbing. I hated not knowing what was on that mind of hers. She catches my stare before smiling at me weakly. God, I was so in over my head. I knew I needed to end things with Damon as soon as possible. He showed us that there was no line he wouldn’t cross, especially after tonight.

‘Are you hungry?’ I question as we make it onto the street with most of the decent fast food places, McDonalds being one of them. Of course. ‘You haven’t eaten anything today, have you?’

‘I’m not hungry,’ She shrugs, her voice barely louder than a whisper. ‘You can get something for yourself if you want.’

I purse my lips as we pull amongst the other cars at McDonalds. Suddenly, I felt selfish. For two reasons. One, I was actually about to take her back to my apartment to eat right in front of her while she doesn’t even have an appetite. Two, I selfishly wanted to keep her with me knowing how screwed up my life is. I came in like some goddamn bulldozer and wrecked her life in the process. Deep down, I knew that she was probably better off without me but I couldn’t take not being with her. In my aching head, I tried to justify how I would rather her suffer with me than me suffer without her. Selfish.

‘Ahem.’ Lizette nudges me as she points her small finger towards the menu. I’m guessing the worker had been waiting on me to say my order for a while now. I decide to go with my usual and slowly ease myself towards the next window.

The ride back to my apartment is quiet. Not some peaceful quiet either. It was sort of suffocating. Like the two of us knew that things were actually getting worse but neither one of us wanted to accept reality. Neither one of us had the courage to question it out loud. Lizette disappears in the other room to get changed for bed after stealing one of my shirts out of my drawer. I smile to myself as I watch her absentmindedly mess with her hair in front of the mirror as she brushes her teeth with the spare toothbrush she leaves on my counter. ‘There she is.’ I announce aloud as she crawls into bed beside me wearing nothing but my shirt. ‘Everything okay? Are you good?’

‘I’m good.’ She confirms with a nod as she nestles herself against my chest. ‘Are we good, Niall?’

‘What?’ I blink a couple of times, more than necessary. Her round eyes carefully study my face waiting for an answer, ‘why would you ask that?’

‘I don’t know, just thinking. So,’ She pauses with a deep exhale, ‘are we?’

‘Are you thinking or doubting? I can handle thinking but it’s the doubting that makes me worried. I don’t think that I would be able to hold it against you honestly.’

‘I would never.’ Lizette defends as she tightens her grip on me. ‘I love you too much to doubt this.’

‘I love you and yes, we’re good. We’ll always be good, no matter what – I thought you knew that by now.’ I stifle out an amused laugh pressing my lips to her forehead.

Lizette’s Point of View

I lay in bed beside Niall as he softly snores beside me. I refrain from recording a video of him for the next time he swears he doesn’t snore. Soundlessly, I allow my hands to travel through his dark hair feeling at peace. I couldn’t stop replaying what happened at the fashion show earlier.

“I can’t believe you’re making me come to this hellhole tonight.” Niall teases with a small smile, his large hands were placed carefully at my sides. “I think that I may love you too much for my own good.”

“I don’t know, I think you love me the perfect amount. No more, no less.” I look up into his eyes, smiling at our height difference. “I promise that I’ll make it up to you. Tomorrow we can do whatever you want, all day.”

“I’m holding you that.”

“You better bet on me tonight. I’m going to kill you if I have to spend the day with some random.”

“Hey, I just might make you in exchange for spending my Saturday night in that old ass theatre room.”

“I love you.” I say through a laugh, inching closer to him on my tip-toes.

“I love you.” I kiss him once more before heading over to the theater building to help Rose set up for tonight’s fashion show slash student auction.

“Now that you’ve finished making out with your boyfriend, can you help me get these clothing racks set up?”

“Were you spying on me?” I speak, offended as I fold my arms across my chest.

“I can’t help it!’ Rose objects flopping down onto the stage, pulling out several metal rods, “Seeing you and Niall together is like seeing a unicorn or big foot. You never actually see it you just hear the whispers and the stories. I couldn’t resist.”

“So, where’s your DJ?” I question, dying to change the subject.

“Zayn went to his place to get some of his equipment. He should be here in a bit, is Niall coming to the show tonight?” Rose inquires and we were suddenly back on the topic of Niall.

“He’s coming.” I speak, biting back a smile.

Before we knew it, the theater doors were open and people started to fill the room. My parents were sat right along the edge of the catwalk, my dad proudly holding his camera in his grasp. My mom bounced Elijah on her knee while eyeing the stage anxiously. Niall was sitting front and center on the other side of the catwalk with a bouquet of bright red roses resting on his lap. His dark ink was cover by his white, button-down shirt. “I didn’t get roses.” Rose gawks, peering over my shoulder. Niall catches my stare and offers me a smile from across the stage.

“All right, ladies – it’s almost show time!” Kristen Saunders speaks loudly into her headset causing me to wince. According to her, this fashion show was the best thing to have happen to our school so it had to be a hit. It had to be. “Rose is first, Lizette wait until she gets down to the end of the stage before going.” And I thought Rose was high-strung when it came to tonight. “C’mon, line up everyone! We have to pull this off.”

Rose gracefully struts down the catwalk as the room erupts with claps when the lights dim. I watch nervously as she easily does a turn like some Victoria’s Secret model waving to Zayn in the back of the room. “Go, Lizette!” Kristen practically pushes me out onto the stage as Rose is making her way back to the exit.

“Go Lizard!” My dad embarrassingly shouts holding up his camera high. “That’s my girl.”

Niall sits on the edge of his seat, his blue eyes never leave me as I twirl at the base of the stage. He places two fingers in his mouth, breathing out a loud whistle. I hold back my laughter as I try to make it back to the exit without falling flat on my face. I rush to get changed into my next outfit as the other girls make their way out onto the stage. For my second and last trip down the catwalk, Niall was patiently sitting in his seat with his phone aimed towards the stage. I blow him a kiss before waving to my parents, feeling more at ease on stage.

“Alright everyone, time for the auction.” Rose announces as I shuffle back with the other girls walking in the show. “We’ll be auctioning off various students to help you with odd jobs. Please, parents and faculty members – reach deep into your pockets and help the senior class pay for our prom.” I impatiently pace back and forth backstage as I hear the different bids for my classmates. “Next up, we have my gorgeous and equally smart best friend, Lizette Matthews. I may be biased but I better hear high bids for this one ladies and gentlemen, she is worth every single dollar.”

“Rose.” I mutter nervously, watching all of the people in the room. Dozens of eyes were focused on me as Rose dramatically waves her hand up and down beside me. It reminded me of those models on those game shows that show off brand new cars to contestants.

“We’ll start it at one hundred dollars!”

“One hundred!” My dad calls out, shoving his arm up in the air.

“Two hundred!” One of the guys from the football team throws his fist up confidently.

“Three hundred.” Niall shouts, pulling his wallet from his tight jeans.

“Five hundred.” A familiar voice rings, Damon. “Five hundred big ones for a day with Lizzie.” A smug smile rested peacefully on his face as John towers over him like some security guard.

“Five hundred,” Rose’s eyes dart towards me anxiously, “for the guy in the back.”

“Seven hundred.” Niall forces himself back into the bidding.

From where I stood, I could see my dad’s eyebrows raised curiously. My mom whispers something over to him as she looks in the back towards Damon’s direction. Fellow attendees glance between the stage, Damon, and Niall. Apparently, the night suddenly got much more interesting. ‘Going once, going twice, go-…’

“Nine hundred.” Damon speaks cockily, waving a handful bills in his hand.

“Fifteen hundred.” Niall stands to his feet, crossing his arms across his chest.

“Going once, going twice, gone. Fifteen hundred for a day with Lizette Matthews, I told you she was worth it.” Rose stifles out a nervous laugh, running a frustrated hand through her hair. From the back of the room, I could see Damon and John laughing loudly together. It was like they got exactly what they wanted and now Niall was out of fifteen hundred dollars because of it. Once the event was finally over, I make my over to my parents.

“Well, that was interesting.” My dad comments like I knew that he would, “who was that guy that was ready to drop nine hundred dollars for a day with you?”

“I’m not sure.” I lift my shoulder and drop them, avoiding all eye contact. “I don’t think I’ve seen him before. I’m going to say goodnight to Niall and then help Rose clean up. I’ll see you guys in the morning?”

“Fine, be careful.” My mom wraps an arm around me, “Straight to Rose’s, Liz.”

“Got it.” I bury myself in my dad’s sweatshirt, feeling safer than I have in a while. I wanted to tell him everything about Damon so he could step in like I knew he would. Niall would probably never forgive me for involving my dad. “See you.”

Niall stands not too far away with the roses extended out to me. I happily take them as I fall into his arms, “Fifteen hundred dollars. See? I told you that I love you way too damn much for my own good.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone! Just a quick sorry for the lack of updates. I've been playing catch up with my classes so thank you for bearing with me. Also, feel free to leave a comment, subscribe, or recommend Canon. Thanks again!