Canon

eighty one.

My alarm clock crashes into my slumber, bright and early. 7AM. Today was finally the day. Prom. I had a dozen of things that I had to do before Niall picked me up tonight. I wipe the sleep from my eyes and anxiously try my dress on once again. I tried it on last night and knew that there was no way that it wouldn’t fit now. But still. I had to make sure. I could hear my parents’ door squeak open before footsteps meet the hardwood floor. Dad. His were always heavier. I take a shower and get dressed in Niall’s Rams shirt before finding them in the kitchen.

‘Good morning,’ My mom muses, ‘Are you excited for tonight?’

‘Very.’ I beam, scrolling through my Instagram feed. A few girls from the senior class were already posting up close photos of their dresses and unopened Tarte palettes.

‘Lizard,’ My dad starts, and I knew that there was a lecture coming. ‘Your mom and I talked last night and we thought that this would be a great time to revisit the talk with you.’

‘Oh. My. God.’ I drop my phone on the table and bury my face into my palms. ‘We do not have to.’ I remembered the talk with my parents very clearly. My mom went into the details of protected sex while my dad clutched a pillow in the corner. The only time he came up for air is when my mom warned against STDs and unwanted pregnancies. I didn’t know who hated it more, me or him.

‘Liz, listen to your father.’ My mom speaks with an amused smirk on her face, clearly enjoying the discomfort in the room. ‘We were young once, believe it or not.’

‘We went to prom and know that the chaperones do not give a shit about the alcohol and dry humping that goes on the hallway.’

‘Dad.’ I mutter, trying to sink into my seat even lower. ‘Did you really just say dry humping?’

‘The point is, we just want you to be responsible and make the right choices for you. We realize that we cannot be there with you at all times and make your decisions for you. We just have to hope that we armed you with enough facts for you to make up your own mind.’ My mom takes over and I’m slightly less uncomfortable.

‘Please, remember that no means no. If he doesn’t respect that or you, then he doesn’t deserve you. Don’t feel pressured or intimidated by your classmates either, Liz. I guarantee that when they say “everyone is doing it”, they’re not.’ My dad decides to bring it home, ‘Do not drink and drive. Do not get in a car with someone who’s been drinking. Call me, call a cab, just get home safe.’

‘Guys, you don’t have to worry. I’ve had all of this burned into my memory since I was thirteen.’ I assure, and they decide to drop it. Thank God. If my dad knew just how many times that I’ve rolled around with Niall over the last eight months. I feel myself shudder at the looks Niall would get. ‘Can we please eat before I have to meet Rose?’

‘Blueberry pancakes, coming up.’ My mom nods as she makes her way towards the stove.

I devour my pancakes and go back for thirds before dragging a stomach full of pancakes to Rose’s. We made plans to go get our nails done together before doing our own hair and makeup. I was too nervous to sit down and let someone do my makeup. One wrong twitch, I would have an eyeliner pencil in my pupil. ‘So, have you talked to Niall? Do you guys have something special planned tonight?’ Rose wastes no time when we make it to the nail salon.

‘I don’t know, maybe. He said it was a surprise, but I haven’t talked to him today. I feel like we’re getting married or something, it’s all so secretive. I’m on pins and needles.’ I fight the urge to bite my nails. ‘What about you and Zayn?’

‘Since it’s the weekend, we are taking a little road trip out of the city tonight. Detroit.’

‘Ooh.’ I coo, ‘How exciting.’

I climb into Rose’s convertible, waddling with each step thanks to the foam flip flops from the salon. My phone buzzes in my grasp as I listen to Rose debate on how she should do her hair tonight.

I cannot wait to see you – Niall.

My stomach flutters as I reread the six measly words that made me feel weak all over. ‘I’ll see you tonight!’ I wave as I get back into my car and head home after finishing our hair and makeup.

I stare at the final product for a full thirty minutes, trying to ease my nerves. Why am I even nervous? It’s prom. I hear the doorbell ring and feel myself tense up. ‘It’s Niall, Liz!’ My mom calls happily, I could practically see the smile on her face already.

The walk to the living room felt like one of the longest of my life. Right up there with the walk to Niall’s cell. Stop. Don’t think about that. Not tonight.. It’s not about Damon, it’s not about the investigation, it’s just about prom. That’s it. Regular, old, prom. Niall is standing next to my dad, dressed in his black tux with a skinny black tie. He thought the bowtie made him look more like a penguin. He blinks several times, never taking his eyes off of me. In his hands, a corsage with a white rose. Niall hastily pulls it from its plastic container and my mom takes the wrapping from him. My dad fumbles around with his camera as Niall slowly pulls my wrist into his hands.

‘You look beautiful. I mean you always look beautiful, but tonight, I am the luckiest person in the world. You’re so beautiful.’ Niall whispers, his eyes solely focused on the corsage. I could tell he was trying to figure out the specifics of it while not sticking me with the pin. The white rose on my wrist matched the one on his tuxedo.

‘You look very handsome in your tux.’ I grab a hold of his tie in my hand while a flash goes off behind us. ‘Dad, c’mon.’ I whine, ‘Can we not go crazy on the pictures?’

‘Mrs. Matthews, would you mind taking some on this?’ He questions, handing over his camera.

‘Ella,’ She corrects with her usual, genuine smile. She didn’t have to fake it, she was just nice. To everyone. ‘Of course, I already vowed to your mom that I would send her all of the pictures I take tonight.’

‘Of course, she did.’ He scrunches his nose over the idea that our moms communicate about something like prom. Still getting used to the idea of normal.

He places his hands on my waist just high enough to get my dad’s approval. I feel him coyly pull me into his body. A chill goes down as his breath, tickles my ear. ‘I can’t wait to take this off of you tonight.’ He murmurs, only loud enough for me to hear, and my skin grows warm.

After two dozen pictures, Niall is guiding me out the front door. A Rolls Royce sits in the driveway instead of his Mustang. ‘Niall, is that ours?’

‘Yeah,’ He nods, slipping an arm around my waist as the driver gets out to greet us. ‘Only go to prom once, right?’

I slide into the car first and Niall eases in beside me. We wave to my parents who are out on the front porch, still with the camera. Of course. I rest my head on Niall’s chest as the driver slowly makes his way down the vacant street. ‘Are you going to tell me what we’re doing tonight?’

‘You know I’m not.’ He grins, briefly glancing down at me. ‘How about you keep that wonderful mind of yours focused on the prom and leave the rest to me?’

‘Fine.’ I sink into his arm, knowing that he wasn’t gonna budge any time soon.

‘Oh, don’t pout.’ He stifles out a laugh, pressing his forehead to mine. ‘We’re almost there.’

Niall rolls out of the car first and straightens his tux once the driver opens the door. He extends a hand out to be to help me out of the car. Several of our classmates stop on their way in to focus their attention on us. ‘Nice car, Horan!’ Someone calls out and Niall just nods his head in their direction.

‘Looking good, Lizette.’ Hanna, from my history class waves as we check in before entering the dark room.

Nothing Holding Me Back by Shawn Mendes greeted us as Niall leads the way. He nervously guides me into the mass of people, never letting my hand drop. Rose struts through the dancing bodies with Zayn not too far behind. ‘Lizzie!’ She squeals, somehow over the loud music. ‘You look amazing. I could die.’ I leave Niall’s grasp to throw my arms around her.

‘You’re one to talk, look at you!’ I gesture dramatically towards her dress. ‘It looks so amazing here, definitely the best prom this school has ever seen.’

‘All that hard work paid off.’ She takes a proud look around, appreciating her own greatness.

‘Where are you headed?’

‘We have to round up some extra paper for the prom king and queen entries. We should catch up in a little bit.’ Rose suggests slipping her arm through Zayn’s. ‘The four of us.’ She adds in, her eyes focused on Zayn. Him and Niall still weren’t on the best terms, so it was like she was telling him to be on his best behavior.

‘We’d like that.’ I chime in return, answering for the two of us.

Ed Sheeran’s voice echoes through the room as everyone pairs off with their dates after wildly jumping around. I blabber a bye to Rose as Niall pulls me towards the center of the room by my waist. I interlock my fingers around his neck as he holds me by my hips. ‘I told you we’d be here.’ He speaks quietly with the slightest smile on his face. ‘We’re at prom and we’re fine.’

‘Hey, you haven’t complained.’ I taunt resting my head on his chest. ‘I must say I’m a little disappointed.’

‘The night is still young.’ He barks out a laugh as he gently pushes me away so he could twirl me back into his chest. Our classmates ooh and aww in our direction as I use his chest as a pillow once again. ‘I cannot tell you how good you look in that dress. I am losing my shit just looking at you.’

‘I love you.’ I get out just as he presses his lips to mine.

‘I love you.’ He repeats in between kisses.

After about an hour of dancing, Niall and I make our way towards the food tables, and fill our plates with mini burgers, chicken wings, mozzarella sticks, and whatever else would fit.

‘Hello everyone,’ Rose calls out on stage with a microphone wrapped carefully in her hand, ‘It’s the moment that you’ve been waiting for, time to announce this year’s King and Queen.’ In front of her, were two cheesy crowns that sparkled under the stage lights. ‘First, your king.’ Everyone watches as dramatically waves the oversized envelope back and forth. ‘Niall Horan.’

‘What the hell?’ Niall questions, his face going pale as the light falls on him. ‘Did you or Rose do this?’

‘No, I swear.’ I couldn’t hold back my laughter as I push him towards the stage, ‘Go.’

‘And beside every great king is an even greater queen,’ Rose doesn’t bother waiting for Niall as he drags himself to the stage. ‘There’s no surprise here, Lizette Matthews.’ I grab the end of my dress and slip through the cheers and claps. Niall comes down the steps to grab a hold of my arm in order to make sure I don’t fall on my ass in front of everyone. ‘Now that you are crowned. It’s time for your official dance. Everyone get out of the way.’ After Robbie Martinez, the school’s photographer takes about a dozen pictures. Our parents will just love this.

With a low groan, Niall escorts me to the empty dance floor. I smile up at him as the crown sits crookedly in his dark hair. Nearly every eye in the room is fixated on us. I couldn’t help but peek at the admiring faces every few sways. But Niall’s eyes never leave my face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi!! First, I want to thank you to whoever took a couple of minutes to read the latest chapter. I hope that it makes up for the delay. I've been debating if I should continue with Canon as well as the other stories. Feel free to leave a comment if you're in favor of the continuation of the story. Also if you haven't already, please subscribe or recommend the story. Thank you! xx