Canon

eighty three.

I fall asleep to the faint sounds of my dad shuffling around in the living room with his stack of papers. The next morning, he’s back at the table with a steaming pot of coffee in front of him. For someone who didn’t get any sleep, not a hair was out of place. He fixes his tie before pressing his lips to my mom’s head. ‘Good morning, Lizard. How are you feeling?’ She questions as if I’m the one who went head-to-head with John’s giant SUV.

‘I’m fine, really.’ I insist, pouring myself a bowl of cereal, ‘Me and Niall were thinking about going to the hospital to see Zayn. It didn’t really work out last night.’

The morning paper in front of me, has a picture of the parking lot from last night. It talked about an unknown 18-year old student being struck by a car that sped away. They emphasis how the driver hasn’t been caught yet. The police have yet to make a statement other than they are actively looking for those involved. Apparently according to witnesses, they never thought anything like this would happen in our town. “People just don’t get plowed down by cars at prom”. I give the paper a slight push towards my dad.

‘Rose’s friend is out of the hospital,’ My dad speaks up, ‘The officer I had posted outside of his room gave me the update early this morning. They let him go home. If you do go out, please, be careful. We still haven’t caught the bastard.’

‘Of course.’ I mutter in response, ‘you have nothing to worry about.’

I finish my cereal in silence, mostly kicking around soggy Frosted Flakes with the curve of my spoon. I could hear my parents strategizing about what to do next. My mom asks if we should spend some time at my grandparents’, just outside the city. She wanted to hide me away. My dad said it hasn’t come to that – yet. I toss the leftover cereal down into the garbage disposal and take a quick shower. If I wasn’t in the house, my mom couldn’t toss me into the trunk and drive until I was out of Damon’s eyeline.

‘Hey,’ I call out in the doorway, cutting into their ongoing conversation. ‘Can I go to Niall’s? My phone’s on and I’ll be back before curfew.’

My mom glances at my dad and he offers her a shrug like I’m not looking at them. It amazed how they had a full on conversation with their eyes before directing their attention back to me. ‘Check in if anything happens.’ My dad points a finger towards me and I slip out the door before they could change their minds.

I unlock Niall’s door and let myself into his apartment. The sound of the shower water greets me as I drop my purse and keys on the table. I find my prom dress carefully folded in the corner of the room, our plastic crowns resting on Niall’s dresser. The handles squeak as the water turns off. ‘I was just thinking about you.’ Niall smiles drying his wet hair with a fluffy black towel.

‘Hi.’ I muse, touching his damp, hot skin. ‘My dad told me that Zayn’s out of the hospital. I wanted to see if you were up for another shot at talking to him.’

‘Okay.’ He agrees, turning his back to get dressed. ‘Just give me a second.’

I run my fingers across the beaded material of my dress, feeling guilty. Zayn was just released from the hospital and I’m thinking about the nearly nonexistent tear in the material. I just wanted to talk to Rose to see how she’s doing. She ignored all of the texts I sent this morning and declined the FaceTime call. At least she hasn’t blocked me, yet. Niall stuffs his phone and wallet down into his back pockets before grabbing a hold of my hand. ‘You’re quiet.’ Niall comments in the car, coming to a slow stop at the umpteenth red light. ‘Everything okay?’

‘My mom thinks that we should go to my grandparents’ house. It’s not too far so I could still go to school and all. They were still debating it when I left. I’m just wondering if I’ll have a bag packed when I get home later.’ I speak, drawing circles against the skin of his hand.

‘And what do you want?’ Niall questions, I could feel his eyes on me as the car slowly moves forward. ‘Do you think it’s a good idea?’

‘I mean I get it, Damon’s the big bad that no one’s seemed to get rid of. Do you think he’s somewhere hiding? I feel like he would be laying low right now or far away from here.’

‘After all that shit happened before, he disappeared. I wouldn’t put it past him if he was already in another state at this point but then again, he wasn’t trying to hit Zayn. They were trying to hit me. They didn’t do that, so he could be waiting around to catch me at the right time before he goes. They know you are the only thing that I care about, so I would want you far away as possible.’

Clearly, Niall was on her side. He just wasn’t going to tell me what to do. He gives me a hand a tight squeeze, not saying anything else. I spot Rose’s bright red car in one of the parking spaces closest to the door. Niall rolls out of the car, leading the way to Zayn’s door. He wraps a hand on the back of his neck before giving the door three hard taps. Rose stands in the entrance, folding her arms angrily. I forgot how good she was at the silent treatment. ‘What?’ She groans, with a dramatic eyeroll.

‘Listen,’ Niall starts, inching closer to the door, which causes Rose to shrink the gap between us and Zayn. ‘Look, I am sorry. Do you think that I wanted any of this shit to happen? You were right, and Zayn was right, I’m the one who pissed Damon off and I didn’t want anyone to get caught with me. Can we come in?’

‘Babe, let ‘em in.’ Zayn calls from behind Rose and she moves aside. Her glare not softening. ‘I’ve never heard Ireland here apologize for a damn thing in his life. Looks like Lizette really did make you soft.’ Zayn taunts, with his leg in a bulky cast, propped up on the table in front of him. A long, blue pillow rested behind his head and brand new crutches were leaning on the couch beside him.

‘I would tell you to shut the hell up, but I figure I owe you one.’ Niall stifles out a laugh, extending a closed fist out to Zayn. ‘Thank you. Honestly, in that moment, I don’t know if I would have been able to do the same. Anything, and I mean anything at all you need, it’s yours.’

‘I will definitely hold you to that.’ Zayn nods, extending his fist to meet Niall halfway. Rose shifts over, her eyes falling on me. ‘Lizette, please, take back your friend. I’ve been her only friend for 12 hours and it’s scary. I don’t know what the fuck Bachelor in Paradise is but I’m not watching it.’

Niall releases my hand, allowing me to throw my arms around Rose. ‘I’m sorry.’ We both blurt out in the same breath. ‘It’s okay.’ We blabber out at the same time yet again.

We ended up spending the next few hours at Zayn’s. They mostly just listened as we recited the entire prom night, minus the accident. ‘Bye text me when you get home!’ Rose calls out, before locking Zayn’s door behind her as we make our way through the parking lot.

‘I will!’ I shout, and Niall dramatically grabs a hold of his ear.

‘Jesus. Why do you two have to yell just to say bye?’ A small grin resting on his face. ‘Now, do you want to go get something to eat before you go home?’

‘Yes please, can we just go to that Chinese place with those really good eggrolls right down the street from the apartment?’

‘Alright, I’ll call in the order when we get there.’

Inside Niall’s apartment, I sit on his bed, trying to find a movie. I watch as he pulls his shirt over his head and stomps around the room until his Nikes are on his feet. ‘I’m still trying to find a movie, hurry back.’

‘Alright, I’ll be back in a few minutes. Love you.’

‘Love you.’ I repeat as the front door opens and shuts.

I come to a stop on some SyFy movie about some scarecrow that harasses a small farm town that Niall would just love to critique. I grab his Derby Country Rams blanket from the closet and throw it across the bed. ‘Finally.’ I call out, wrapping the blanket around my shoulders to get out the bed once the front door opens. ‘You better not have snuck any egg rolls. I want to choose first.’

‘Lizzie,’ Damon waves at the end of the hall, blowing out a large puff of smoke. ‘It’s great to see you again.’

Niall’s Point of View

I cradle the drinks and food in one arm to unlock the door. ‘Baby, I’m back. Come and get it.’ Nothing. ‘Liz.’ I set aside the food on the table, walking over to the balcony to check the parking lot. Her car was still there. ‘Lizette.’ I yank my phone from my pocket and scramble to unlock it. The longer the phone rings, the more I feel my chest tighten.

‘Niall.’ Her voice barely rings out, but it was enough. It was like all of the air suddenly returned to my lungs. I could breathe once again. ‘That you?’

‘It’s just me.’ I confirm, following the voice towards my closet. ‘You scared the hell out of me. Why didn’t you answer your phone? What’s the matter? What are you doing in here?’ All of the words fall out of my mouth at an uncontrollable rate, I couldn’t help it. ‘Are you okay?’

‘Damon was here, in the living room. I heard the door open and I saw him, just standing there. He didn’t follow me into the room. It’s like the look on my face was enough for him. I just locked myself in the closet. I heard my phone, but I didn’t want to come out until I knew he was gone.’ She clings to me so hard that she was actually pinching my skin.

‘I’m so sorry that I wasn’t here. I’m so so sorry.’ It was all I could say. I’ve looked her into her eyes countless times promising that he would never, ever hurt her. But he had the chance and I couldn't do a damn thing about it because I wasn’t here. He wanted me to know that he can get close to her whenever he wants. ‘I’ll be back.’ I say, the last thing I wanted to do was leave her alone, but I couldn’t put her in harm’s way again. ‘Stay here. Lock the deadbolt when I go out.’

‘Niall, what are you going to do? Where are you going?’

‘I love you and I’ll be back.’ With that, I stand up and leave a kiss on her forehead, ‘Eat before it gets cold. Come lock the door, Liz.’

Reluctantly, she follows me to the door without another word. I wait in the hall to hear both locks turn before slapping the elevator’s button.

Lizette’s Point of View

I watch Niall’s Mustang peels out the parking lot, the tires screeching as they turn. I pull my phone out and sit down on the couch, scrolling through my contacts. Each long ring sends my stomach turning. ‘Dad, I need your help. I think Niall’s about to do something very, very crazy.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Hiii, thank you for taking the time to read the latest chapter! I hope that you enjoyed it. Feel free to leave a comment, recommend, and subscribe to the story if you haven't already xx