Canon

nine.

It had been three days since the incident with Niall. He made it a point to ignore my entire existence for the past few days. In Trigonometry he’d still sit behind me and stare directly through me. He went back to giving his fake notes in gym class to get out of running. I started to wonder if we’d ever actually speak to each other again.

‘I had a great time last night.’ Scott smiles crashing into my thoughts.

‘I don’t think math qualifies as a great night.’ I laugh closing my locker.

‘Well, there is that.’ Scott gestures to the Homecoming poster in front of us. ‘We could go together, if you want.’

‘I don’t think that’d be the best idea. I mean we’re still broken up and all, so it might just complicate things more.’

‘We are still broken up because you say yes.’ Scott urges annoyingly, ‘Who else did you have in mind? That Niall guy?’

Niall. Niall practically told me that he wouldn’t be caught dead at something like homecoming. Figures – homecoming didn’t seem like his type of thing anyway. Although, Zayn is going. He may just be going for Rose and to see how her ass looks in a dress, nonetheless he was still going. Which was probably more romantic than a boy who wants to go just as much as you do.

‘No…’ I finally answer feeling Scott’s eyes on me, ‘I don’t think I’m going this year.’

‘For as long as I’ve know you it was all you’ve talked about.’ Scott points out, ‘why the sudden change of mood?’

‘I should really go. Class starts soon.’ I look at the digital clock that hung on the hallway’s wall, ‘bye Scott.’

‘Later Liz.’ He calls after me as I make my way to Trig.

Niall sat in his regular seat behind me fumbling with his camera. His blue eyes gaze up just to fall back down. I pull out my daily planner and jot down the important dates Dr. Werner had scribbled down on the board.

‘So today class I have an activity for you. We’re going to be working in small teams with a set of the problems we’ve learned so far. Whichever team completes their assignment first does not have to take tomorrow’s quiz.’ Dr. Werner announces as she pushes her circular glasses onto the bridge of her nose. ‘Pick a partner quickly.’

I turn around in my small plastic seat to glance around the room. There wasn’t much of a selection to choose from. Nathan Wells had already grabbed a hold of Donna Chun. Bobby Whitmore managed to partner up with Marcus Rivers. Trevor Daniels was making his way over to Reese Oden.

‘Okay Lizette and Niall since the two of you are the last ones you can work together.’ Dr. Werner announces placing two sheets of paper onto my desk, ‘everyone get to work.’

‘You can do the odds and I’ll do the evens.’ I say handing Niall his paper as I turn around in my seat.

‘Whatever.’ He shrugs as he scribbles his name down onto his paper.

We work in silence neither one of us saying a word.

‘So,’ Niall clears his throat after awhile, ‘how’s the boyfriend?’

‘He’s not my boyfr-…’

‘Does daddy approve?’ Niall laughs cutting me off abruptly. I know how much you just love to please him.’

‘You’re such an asshole.’ I grab all of my stuff and ask to go to the nurse, ‘stay away from me.’

This was the second time I skipped class and the very first time without Niall. I go to the empty girl’s locker room to kill time. After the bell rings I head to art class and find my seat.

Does that homecoming offer still stand? – Lizette.

I thought you’d never ask. – Scott.

‘Hey, have you found a dress for homecoming yet?’ I ask once Rose walks in with Zayn behind her.

‘No not yet. I’ve been planning on going for ages now. How about we go to the mall after school?’

‘Okay, I need to get one too.’

‘You’re going with Niall?!?’

‘What? No!’ I immediately shake my head, ‘absolutely not.’

‘Then who’s your date?’

‘I’m going with Scott.’

‘Scott? You two got back together already?’

‘He’s currently working on his second chance.’

‘I can honestly say that I’m surprised. I mean I for sure thought that you’d convince Niall to go not end up with your ex.’

‘My mate Niall will not be pleased’ Zayn teases with a smile.

‘Niall would never date me.’ I repeat Niall’s harsh words aloud.

‘Niall doesn’t date anyone.’ He informs us through his sudden laugh. ‘Ever.’

‘Why not?’ Rose leans in curiously.

‘He doesn’t believe in the whole dating thing since his mom walked out on his dad and him years ago.’

‘Alright, class – time to get started.’

Zayn’s words burned into my brain the entire class period. As pissed as I was at Niall a part of me felt sorry for him. Like the way you feel sorry for a puppy that sits in the corner after being scolded.

‘Are you actually going to eat with us today?’ Rose inquires once we enter the cafeteria.

‘Sure.’ I hesitantly agree and sit down at the table with them.

‘Hey Lizette.’ Harry, Liam, and Louis wave.

‘Hey guys – how’s lacrosse?’

‘Made the team!’ Liam announces cheerfully, ‘we know frequently skip history because of practice.’

‘You boys are living the dream.’ I taunt playfully.

‘We were just saying how we were all going to see one of our favorite bands play. You should come.’ Harry suggests.

‘When?’

‘It’s tonight. You gotta tag along!’ Louis urges.

‘Alright, sure. Why not.’

‘Good – I can pick you up on the way.’ Zayn chimes in snaking an arm around Rose’s shoulder.

‘Sounds cool.’

After lunch I head off to gym class ready to get the day over with. To my surprise Niall was sitting aside the others in his gym clothes. I sit down on the other side of the bleachers with Gwen.

‘That guy cannot stop checking you out.’ Gwen mutters quietly.

‘Who?’ I say keeping my eyes on the floor.

‘Blonde hair. Tattoos. Raybans on his head.’

I didn’t have to look up to know she was referring to Niall. I keep my eyes on the bright Nike Free Runs on my feet as the coach rambles on and on.

‘Aren’t you going to look?’

‘He’s not worth it.’ I murmur to myself stretching my legs. ‘I’m trying to figure things out with Scott.’ I inform her instead.

‘I was wondering when that would happen again. You know you two were the school’s dream couple. You were Brangelina or Kimye.’

‘Oh wow, thanks.’ I shake my head sarcastically, ‘that is all I’ve ever dreamed.’

‘You get what I’m saying…’ Gwen laughs pulling her arms behind her back, ‘Scott is like a puppy, cute and all but he’s more like tiger, sexy and daring.’ She says as she stands to her feet.

‘Whatever you say Gwen.’

I finally allow my eyes to gaze across the side of the bleachers to see Niall not-so-casually staring in my direction. Our eyes meet and he quickly turns away. Once we were out on the track I stay in front of the line with Gwen before she slowly falls behind to be with Frank Truman.

‘I hear you’re going out with the guys and Rose tonight.’ Niall suddenly appears by me.

‘That is somehow none of your business.’

‘Look, just be careful, alright?’

‘What part of “stay away from me” did you not understand?’ I say before picking up my speed and running as far away from Niall as I could get.