For the Last Night I Lie, Could I Lie With You?

The boy amidst the gloom

A burst of lightning illuminates the murky night sky for a brief second; you shiver and pull your dripping jacket around you tighter, lightning always panicked you. Walking at a faster pace you glance surreptitiously at your surroundings, unsurprisingly the storm has rendered the streets empty, something that doesn’t comfort you while walking alone in this strange neighbourhood.

Why tonight? You think to yourself, why did he have to do that tonight? Pushing cruel thoughts from your mind you try to focus on something else, anything but that…

Almost on cue, something grabs your attention. Peering through the darkness you see a shadow creeping across the grass to your left. Struggling for breath you quicken your pace into a run, praying that your imagination is being its malevolent self and you didn’t just see somebody following you in the gloom.

Suddenly the sound of heavy boots on pavement cuts through the rhythm of the pattering rain, confirming your worst and almost paralysing you with fear. Willing your legs not to betray you, you lunge yourself forwards and at the top of your voice a scream pulses from your lips. Panting for breath as you sprint you turn your head praying that there’s no one following you and to your dismay the shadowy figure has vanished. Knowing that the disappearance could be another trick of your mind you continue running, bringing your focus back to the cracked pavement in front of you.

Your features contort and the realisation of what’s about to happen severs through you, you try to let out a scream but your lungs betray you and all you can do is gasp for breath and try not to fall straight into the shadowy figure standing in your path.

The bliss of sleep slowly fades away and as you jolt back into consciousness you’re aware of a dull pain coming from your skull. Reaching for your head your eyes flick open as you feel warm blood matted in your hair. Staring at the deep maroon liquid stained across your fingers you let out a slight whimper.

“Does it hurt?” A cool clipped voice jerks you from your thoughts and what you see shocks you almost as much as the night’s events.

Standing above you is a tall man with wisps of charcoal black hair framing his pale face, his huge piercing hazel eyes are staring right at you, clouded with concern.

“W-w-what happened?” You stammer, half from lack of consciousness and half from the realisation that this man is possibly the most beautiful thing you have ever seen.

“Well I’m not too sure; i heard screaming and saw you being chased by this guy. He ran away when he saw me with you but not without leaving his mark!” He smirks pointing to a dash of dry blood smeared across his chiselled cheek.

Suddenly a wave of admiration floods through you, this man might have just saved your life.

“Wow, well thank you so much. It’s all so surreal…” You breathe, still holding your bloodied head.

A smile spreads across his lips and he rubs the back of his neck, “Yeah well, anyone would have done it I guess.” He mumbles before helping you to your feet.

Feeling his strong hands across your arm makes every part of your body scream and every single nerve ending inside of you catch on fire; no one has ever had this effect on you. With his arms cradling your shoulders he walks with you slowly indicating to a small house in the corner of the street.
“That’s where I live, you can borrow some clothes and I’ll see if my brother can clean out that wound, but maybe you should see a doctor anyways. Oh and you never answered my question- does it hurt?”

Frowning, you try to comprehend what he just said, is he going to ask me if it hurt when I fell from heaven? Realising your mistake you stifle a laugh and blame it on the trouble you’re having mustering the strength to walk, knowing full well that it’s the giddiness you’re getting from being so close to someone so beautiful.

“Your head I mean.” He laughs pulling his pallid yet perfectly formed lips into a tug of a smirk.

“Oh um, yeah it hurts a little but I’ll be fine, thanks to you, um…?”

“It’s Gerard.” He smiles, his patchwork of hazel and amber-brown eyes shining in the glow of the dimmed street-lamps as he ushers you inside his home.