For the Last Night I Lie, Could I Lie With You?

Brothers and the BluePit

The next few weeks were the hardest yet, the realisation of your feelings had come crashing down on you unexpectedly. How could you love this boy, you hardly knew him! You had too many unanswered questions and too much time to make yourself sick by thinking of them. There was one thing you knew though, you missed him unbelievably and the there was no denying the void he had tore in your life.

There had been little contact since the uncomfortable encounter in the café, no surprise presents, no texts, nothing. It was obvious that something was wrong, he didn’t want to see you and you had no idea what had caused his sudden disinterest in you. Well, you had an inclination, that smug blond that was draped around him, you bet it was something to do with that.

Your phone buzzed and you eagerly snatched it up, now too cynical to hope that it would be him. Despite your pessimism your heart still sunk when you realised that it wasn’t him, you’d almost fooled yourself into thinking you didn’t care, but you did and your vacant eyes were proof enough.

It was Mikey, Gerard’s brother. You’d met him that first day when he’d taken care of you, he was nice and you had warmed to the kind guy exterior and the shy charm that he held. You’d hung about with him and his band whenever you and Gerard had watched him, which until a few weeks ago had become a regular schedule.

‘You coming to the gig tonight? Mikes :-]’

You put the phone back on your desk, what could you say? It was obvious Gerard didn’t want to go with you or he would have invited you as usual, but why should that stop you? Hmm, you rolled the question around on your tongue thoughtfully. You so badly wanted to see Gerard again but were scared he’d blow you off like he did last time you met; you also didn’t want to let Mikey down.

Shakily you made your reply before you could reconsider your decision.

‘Sure, what time? X’

It was done now, you were going. It was inevitable that you would see Gerard, but if he had given up on your friendship then why should you let him stop you having fun and seeing your friends?

With the sense of empowerment you knew was soon to fade you quickly got yourself ready and when Mikey decided on the time you made your way down the all too familiar trail to the BluePit.

The sky was filled with dark menacing clouds but despite this the breeze was light and warm, causing a sense of implicit happiness in the forming crowd. It was hard not to wear a small smile when standing in the buzzing crowd, only one thing would have made it better…but you weren’t going to dwell on that. This was especially true when you saw the beaming skinny Mikey bounding towards you.

“Hey!” He smiled, “How’re you stranger?”

You shrugged, summoning your best cheery tone. “I’m okay, excited about the gig?”

He nodded enthusiastically, “Yeah, there’s just something about being on stage, nothing can beat that feeling, well almost nothing…” He smiled and stifled a small giggle as his face was covered in a stark red blush.

You smiled back, knowing what you really wanted to ask, it was looming over the both of you as you made awkward small talk. You gulped nervously.
“Soo how’s your brother Mikes?” You hadn’t meant to rush it but you couldn’t hold it in, the curiosity was killing you.
Mikey shifted his small weight from one foot to the other, obviously trying to articulate his answer carefully.

“Erm, yeah he’s fine.” He says sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck. “You guys haven’t spoken in a while have you?”

You breathe, as uncomfortable as this is for him you can see that Mikey’s really trying. “No we haven’t.” You say gloomily doing nothing to hide the tone of disappointment in your voice. “And I have no idea why.”

Mikey looks down on you through his thick glasses and smiles a half smile, you know he knows the reason but his loyalties lie with his brother, so you don’t judge him for keeping Gerard’s motives quiet. “My brother’s fickle.” He breathes finally, “And very strange, he never realises what he has or what he’s doing to people until it’s too late.” He watches as your face drops, you didn’t want that answer and he knows this, but I guess it’s the truth. “Just enjoy the show yeah? Me and the band are going out after, join us?”

You smile gratefully; this boy was too nice for his own good. “Sounds great, thanks Mikey.” He nods and heads backstage to practice. You contemplate standing with the normal crowd but then think against it, you desperately want to sit in your regular spot but it would just seem wrong sitting there without Gerard, that shady spot holds too many memories.

You climb the small steps to the familiar metal walkway and crawl behind the shadowy beamer where you and Gerard shared that moment, did you imagine it? No, it was real, forever etched in your memory, for better and for worse, tormenting and teasing you but offering you comfort- thoughts of what could, what should have been.

Footsteps echo across the desolate space above the stage, oh no. How could you be so stupid? Of course Gerard will sit up here, in your space. You watch as slender legs wrapped in tight jeans walk along the platform and stop inches from your face. You study his legs and thoughts enter your mind, why must he stand there like that, with everything in perfect view!

You watch as his knees bend and he begins to crouch in front of you. “Hey beautiful.” He smiles coolly.
Your bring yourself forwards so that the light filters on to your face, you watch as his eyes bulge and crimson flushes his cheeks. “Shit.”

***(A/N: Thankyou everyone who has commented, however i'm not recieving many criticism/comments to continue the story so i'm probably either going to stop this completely or cut the story shorter than planned. If you want me to continue please let me know!)