Status: I was inspired

My Last Semester

Love Bites

“So uh where are we going?” Giff asked after they had walked out into the building and into the night. The night was comfortable and there was a cool breeze in the air. He was comfortable in his jeans and sweater but he was a tad nervous about Gabby, her long legs were on display and it would only get cooler as the night wore on.

“Uhh yeah about that…I’m not sure. Look you don’t have to hang out with me ok? I’m sure you have plenty of other guys to chill with or girls to fuck. You don’t need to stay with me,” she blurted out. Before he could even respond she started to walk away. Giff was so confused about her sudden change in demeanor. Was this chick for real? He looked at his phone as sighed, it was barely past two. He knew that Tyler would be back in the room by now and was probably fucking that blonde chick by now. Tonight he wasn’t in the mood to hear his roommate having sex, besides, he wanted to get to know Gabrielle more, even if she was a bitch to him. He started walking in the direction he saw her walk away. After a few minutes he found her leaning against a tree and staring at the sky. She had a cigarette in her mouth and she looked lost in thought. He silently made his way towards her and stood next to her, looking at the sky as well. The air was still, the wind was moving lightly, like a quiet whisper coming from the sky. Giff’s mind traveled so far that he didn’t notice Gabby put out her cigarette and stare at him. She reached forward and gave his shoulder a little push, shaking him out of his thoughts. His blue eyes met her brown ones.

“What are you doing here? Don’t you have some place to be or something? ” she demanded. Her arms were crossed over her chest and she looked very annoyed, but that didn’t discourage the basketball player. He shrugged before responding.

“Not really. And I don’t have a girl to fuck either, I’m not like that. I’d like to stay with you, if that’s ok.” Gabby cast her eyes downwards and looked at her feet. She felt her face heat up a little and a feeling of pure excitement washed over her, but she didn’t let that show.

“You’re not like the others” she almost whispered, still looking down at her worn out chucks. “I don’t know what to think of you to be honest.”

He took a step closer to the girl. Her dark hair was illuminated by the moonlight, and it looked so soft. His eyes trailed to her delicate shoulders and down her arms. For some reason he had the urge to touch her, stroke her smooth skin, and run his fingers through her wild waves. “Is that a good thing or a bad thing?’ he finally asked.

“I’m not sure.” She admitted. A small smile formed on his mouth. God he’s so hot. The young girl thought to herself.

“Can I take you somewhere? Maybe buy you a drink or something?” he asked. He felt so nervous, what if she said no? Would she really reject him? A drink was a friendly gesture, right? He was relieved when he saw a small smile on her face. She nodded her head slowly and gestured for him to lead the way, which he did. They walked to Andre’s car in silence. He got there before her and he opened the door to the passenger side for her. Holy shit, did he really just do that? Gabby thought to herself. She got in the car, feeling a little bewildered. No guy had ever held a car door open for her…hell no even held doors for her around campus when her hands were full with textbooks or something. And of all people to hold a door for her it’s a basketball player? This wasn’t real. Giff got into the driver’s side and turned the car on, immediately Kanye West’s voice blasted through the air…”ain’t nobody fucking with my clique…clique..clique.” Giff immediately lowered it and blushed. “Ehh sorry this isn’t my car.”

“Do you like Kanye West?” she asked him. Personally she didn’t see what the big deal about him was, she thought he was an arrogant prick…no wonder Andre liked him.

“Umm he’s alright. I take it he’s not your thing. I saw The Clash poster in your room.” Her face instantly brightened and she smiled, the first genuine one he saw on her that night. Her smile was contagious and he found himself smiling simply because she was.

“Dude I love the Clash. That’s classic punk rock right there man. They don’t have bands like that anymore. Like you should see the bands that are considered “punk” nowadays, it’s fuckin disgraceful that’s what it is.”

“ Wow you’re really mad about this huh?” Giff asked her. He started to drive the open roads. That night campus was pretty empty, considering it was spring weekend.

“Of course I’m mad. Punk rock is my life man.” She started to change the radio station and finally found one. Green Day’s ‘She’ came on and Gabby started to sing along to it softly. She knew every line by heart. She screams in silence, a sullen riot penetrating through her mind. Giff never heard of the song anymore but listened to every word Billie Joe Armstrong belt out. He couldn’t help but think that the She in the song reminded him of the girl sitting in the seat next to him.

“Do you like Green Day?” Gabby asked him.

“Umm well they have a following in Germany but I can’t say that I’m a fan.”

Her eyes widened. “How can you not like Green Day? Like really?”

“I mean I don’t have any friends that listen to them. I guess I’m not really into music.”

“That’s a shame. Music is my life practically. ” They drove in silence, but it wasn’t awkward an silence. Both were just stuck in their own thoughts. They pulled into a pub that was off campus, but not a lot of UConn students went to. It was a little of the beaten path but it was cozy inside and had a chill atmosphere. Gabby used to go there all the time at the beginning of the semester, in fact she used to be a weekend regular. It was a relaxing, easy going bar that had open mic every Friday. Gabby would perform on occasion but it had been a while. She was surprised that a person like Giff even knew this place existed.

“How do you know about Rodney’s?” she asked as he opened the car door for her.

“I come here from time to time. It’s nice to get away from the crowded bars on campus. You’ve been here before?”

“Hell yeah I have! I used to jam out with the house band all the time.” They made their way inside and saw that the place was full but not over crowded. They stood near the bar as they scanned the place for an empty table or booth. Their attention was caught at the sound of Gabby’s name being shouted at from across the bar.

“Is that Gabrielle! Our world class rock star!” an older man who was balding ran up to
Gabby and scooped her up into a hug.

Gabby hugged the old man, enjoying his scent of cigars and peppermint. It was comforting to her. Rodney had become a dear friend to her over the semester. “Hey Rod it’s been a while huh?” her eyes were sparkling with excitement.

“Yes it has. And are you in a dress? Oh my wait till Irma sees this!” Rodney called out for his wife. Gabby turned to Giff and mouthed the word help before she was wrapped up in Irma’s beefy arms.

“Ahh sweetie you look so beautiful! I knew you would snap out of being so self conscious. Doesn’t she look stunning Rod?” Irma twirled Gabby who was blushing so much she thought she was going to get a fever.

“She sure does. And who is this? You have a boyfriend now too? Thatta girl!” Rod stepped towards Giff and held out his hand which Giff took. “Hello son.”

“Umm Rod see that’s not my” Gabby began before Irma pushed her out of the way and made her way to Giff who had an amused look on his face. He found the situation to be quite funny and the look on Gabby’s face was priceless. This tough chick who normally had a stare that would make children cry looked like a child herself. She was nearly pouting. It was all too much and he did his best to hold in his laughter.

“Oh my isn’t he handsome! Good job Gabby! I knew you had it in you!” Irma squealed as she pushed her husband aside and gave Giff a hug. He was too bewildered to do anything except hug her back.

“Come on you two! We got your usual booth for you Gabby! So you and your boy toy can have some privacy.” Rodney boomed. He had a huge smile on his face. He had gotten to know Gabby very well over the past few months. He had begun to think of her as family and cared about her deeply. He pushed Gabby and Giff towards a booth in the back and scurried away with Irma, leaving a very flustered Gabby and a bemused Giff.

Giff opened his mouth to say something but Gabby cut him off. ”DON’T” she growled. “Now what about that drink you promised me? I’ll have a jack and coke please.”

“Isn’t that kind of strong for a little girl such as yourself?” Gabby didn’t say anything. She just glared at him with her pretty eyes. There was something dangerous in that glare that forced him to get up from his seat and make his way to the bar. Lucky for him, neither Rodney and Irma were in sight. He settled on a beer and put the jack and coke in front of Gabby but this time he slid in next to her, instead of in front of her. He just wanted to be closer to her. To his surprise she didn’t say anything about his seating change, she just sipped her drink and stared off into space.

“Rodney means well and so does Irma. They’re practically my family but as you can see it’s hard to get them to shut up or listen.” There was hardly any room for the both of them in the booth so their thighs were touching. It took everything in Giff to restrain himself from not placing his hand on her thigh. He didn’t want to ruin the night or come across as a creep.

“Yeah they seem to care about you a lot.”

Gabby just nodded and swept her hair away from the nape of her neck and placed it all on one side. He caught a glimpse of a black scripted tattoo that was on her upper back. “What does your tattoo say?” He asked.

“It says “Our Passion is Our Strength.” I got it when I was going through a rough time and it reminds me that the things I care most about in the world, are what keeps me going.” She shrugged and took another sip of her drink. He reached out and ran his finger along the tattoo, gently stroking the soft skin. Gabby shuddered involuntarily and Giff pulled his hand back immediately.

“Sorry” he grunted.

“So how did you ever come across this place?” she asked, ignoring his apology because she didn’t mind what he had just done. If anything she was mad at herself for making it obvious that he gave her the chills.

“I don’t remember, it was Fall semester this year I think. I went around for a drive to clear my head and just found this place. I like it because no one from school really comes here you know?”

“Yeah that’s exactly why I loved coming here. I just needed an escape and the last place I wanted to be at was a bar full of wannabe frat guys, or stuck up athletes with their groupies.” Giff cringed at the venom in her voice.

“We’re not all the same you know?” he said softly.

“Yeah I think I’m starting to realize that.” She replied staring off into space. Giff took a sip of his beer and swallowed it. He wrinkled his nose in disgust. He usually tried to stay away from American beer for it was nothing compared to the beer at home. He chuckled to himself.

“What’s so funny?” Gabby asked/

“Nothing it’s just…I seem like a stereotypical German by drinking a beer don’t I?” He continued to laugh. He looked like a little boy when he laughed, Gabby thought to herself. His whole face lit up and his eyes crinkled a bit at the sides. She joined him in laughing and after downing the rest of her drink she was feeling a slightly enjoyable buzz.

“So you said you used to jam out with the house band. Care to give us a show tonight?” Giff asked her. He was extremely curious about the comment Rodney made about her when he called her a world class rock star.

“I mean it’s nothing really, just us dicking around really.” Normally she would have no problem with performing, but she was nervous as hell to go up onstage in front of Giff.

“Please?” he asked. “We can go anywhere you want afterwards?” his blue eyes were boring into her giving her a look that she couldn’t refuse them. Screw you and your beautiful eyes. She thought to herself. He got up so that she could get out of the booth. She walked towards to the stage and talked to the house band, who had been taking a break. He saw their faces lit up when she approached them and they greeted her with hugs and high fives. He couldn’t hear what they talking about but he saw the band nod enthusiastically and he saw Gabby pick up a guitar. They walked onto the little stage and Gabby took the mic.

“What’s up everyone I hope you’re having a good night!” the crowd cheered and clapped. Gabby smiled, she felt so relaxed with the light shinning on her, the crowd looking at her. “Ok we’re gonna get this place rocking in a few moments, do you guys mind?” she asked the crowd. They whistled and cheered. “I’ll take that as a no.” She smiled. She looked over to Giff and winked.

“One, two, one two, one, two, three four!” the drummer yelled out. The band started playing and Gabby started stumming the fender strat. She moved her head to the music and began to sing.

Don’t listen what your girlfriend says
She reads those magazines
That say you failed the test
You don’t have what she needs
I slither like a viper
And get you by the neck
I know a thousand ways to help you forget about her

That bitch can eat her heart out!
Love bites, but so do I, so do I.
Love bites, but so do I, so do I.
Love bites!

My lips are pale and vicious.
You’re foaming at the mouth.
You’ve suffered in the darkness.
I’ll suck the pain right out.
So come and taste the reason
I’m nothing like the rest.
I kiss you in a way you’ll never forget about me.

That chick can eat her heart out!
Love bites, but so do I, so do I.
Love bites, but so do I, so do I, so do I!

It checks you in and kicks you down,
And chews you up and spits you out.
It messes with your sanity by twisting all your thoughts around.
They say it’s blind they say it waits but every time it seals your fate.
And now it’s got you by the balls it won’t let go until you fall.
I was down and out, got up I said “Hey love I’ve had enough!”
I’ve felt pleasure without pain.
My soul you’ll never tame!

Gabby belted out that last line and rocked her guitar solo. The sound of her guitar echoed throughout the bar. The crowd was head banging and fist pumping. But she didn’t hear them. No she was a million miles away. Giff watched her as she played with so much rage, soul, and passion. He watched her hair move as shook her head as she played. It looked windswept and quite frankly she looked sexy as hell. She had almost a sneer on her face and growled the last verse. This chick could seriously rock.

Love bites, but so do I.
Love bites, but so do I, so do I
Love bites, but so do I, so do I, so do I!
Love bites, but so do I, so do I.
Love bites!
Love bites!

The crowd jumped up and cheered. Giff clapped until he felt like his hands were going to fall off. She took a bow with the band and raised her guitar up. Her hair was wild and her dress was a little more hiked up and he thought she looked so beautiful. His mind replayed her singing with her husky voice, the way her hips swayed with her guitar. Oh God I’m in trouble he thought…
♠ ♠ ♠
Title and song are from the song Love Bites from the amazing band Halestorm. Any comments? Is Gabby too bitchy?Anything. I don't care what the comments are really lol. By the way I want to point out that Gabby is 19 in this story and Giff is 22 and that Giff, along with the other basketball players in the story are actually modeled after really life people. I just changed their names a bit but if you know your college basketball, which you probably don't, it's not hard to guess who their real life inspirations were.