Beacon Hills Exclusive

Dancing with the Moon: Part One

Derek stared at me, wide eyed. “Your father? The lawyer? Oh, that makes sense. There’s no chance in hell it could be the hunting clan down the block,”

“Don’t snap at me,” I rolled my eyes. “It was a man that attacked me. He looked like my dad, alright?”

“Let’s go,” Derek began to walk to his all black Camaro, shaking his head. “I don’t know, Sam. The man doesn’t seem like he could kill his daughter,”

“You also don’t look like you shop at Whole Foods,” I pointed to the bag in the backseat. “Yet, here I am looking at a brand new bag,”

Derek unlocked the doors for us and we both got into the car, closing the doors. He mumbled, turning the car on. “I don’t eat vegetables with pesticides,”

“I’m so sorry, you dainty little rose,” I tried holding back my smile, seeing Derek get annoyed with me. He sped through the streets, quickly landing a block near my home. “Stay-“

“I’m not Stiles or Scott,” Derek cut me off. “Either I am right behind you or you don’t go in at all,”

I smiled softly, getting out of the car and leaning on the open door. I felt my phone vibrate, seeing Matt was calling me. I picked it up. “Hey! I’m sorry. I won’t be in today again,”

“Prep-day?” Matt laughed, joking about the preparation for tonight. I bit my lip, lightly laughing, knowing he wasn’t completely wrong. “I just wanted to say I’ll pick you up tonight around six thirty. Is that okay?”

I smiled. “That’s fine. If you see Scott, ask him for his address. I’ll be getting ready there tonight. Just tell him you said it was because I was too busy and wasn’t able to text you,”

Matt laughed and I could hear the smile on his face. “No problem! I actually see him now. I’ll see you later, Sammie,”

I blushed at the nickname and looked down to hide it from Derek. “Alright, Matt,”

I put my phone in the car, closing the door, and saw Derek with his arms crossed over his chest with a knowing look on his face. “You really go for human boys, don’t you?”

I dropped my jaw, not used to Derek speaking like that. “Excuse me?”

Derek dropped his arms, keeping that same look on his face. “First Stiles, now this Matt kid? You’re running up a track record,”

I rolled my eyes. “Actually, just Matt…. Plus, Anthony. But he moved away to Texas,”

Derek scoffed. “He was that kid you used to talk about in eighth grade, wasn’t he?”

I walked towards Derek, smirking. “He used to tell me how cute I looked in neon pink tights with green dye in my hair. He deserves to get mauled for allowing me to walk around like that,”

Derek half laughed for the first time since I’ve met him. “You looked like a teletubbie,”

I hit his chest and he looked down at me, not budging. “You’re so rude! You used to look like you were in ’The Breakfast Club.’ I don’t think you can throw stones at me,”

Derek shrugged. “I can throw them because you can catch them,”

We began walking towards my house, not smelling my father nor Pam anywhere near the area. Once my house was in sight, we saw there were no cars and no lights on. We hopped the fence to my backyard, walking to the patio. I jumped on the grill, lunging at the house, and climbing to my window. I opened it again and the alarm didn’t go off. Once inside, I stepped forward, sniffing the air. Derek jumped through the window, landing an inch or so behind my back. I looked around the room, seeing that everything was still in its place where I had left it. I looked towards my closet, seeing that the door was closing. I flashed my eyes, looking for any source of heat inside, and coming up with nothing. I bit my bottom lip. “There’s nothing and no one here,”

I moved deeper into my room, going to my closet. I turned on the light and quickly browsed through my pants, finding my pair of high-waist, black leather shorts. I grabbed a solid red, cropped, fitted t-shirt with a black and extremely push-up bra. I walked out, turning off the light and closing the door behind me, and walked to my chest where Derek was sitting. He immediately got up, sitting on the side of my bed. I grabbed a pair of bright red, Mary Jane style, five inch heels. Reaching under my bed, I grabbed my all-over black Vans backpack. I put my clothes in the biggest pocket, zippering it up. I walked to my makeup, putting in all my essentials in the smaller compartment, along with my straightener, hairspray, and hairbrush. As I zipped up the pocket, I heard Derek speak in a low tone. “Be on alert tonight,”

I furrowed my eyebrows, looking up at him as I swung the backpack over my shoulders. “Derek, I’ve been on alert for-“

Derek stood up, putting a hand up to stop me. “No, I mean with this guy. High School guys act like pigs when they’re around nice girls,”

I crossed my arms over my chest, smirking. “I don’t know if it’s the full moon or you finally opening up to me, but I am absolutely in awe at you trying to give me ’The Talk’,”

Derek mimicked my position by crossing his arms over his chest, trying to regain his normal composure. “I protect my pack,”

I smiled. “I know you do. Thank you,”

Derek nodded, still trying to maintain his tough exterior. I jumped out my window and Derek followed, closing the door behind him. We left the backyard, hopping back over the fence, and got back to his car. I threw my bag on the floor in front of me before getting in the passenger’s seat. I climbed in, as did Derek, and closed our doors. We buckled up and Derek sped off to Scott’s house two streets away.

As we drove in silence, I looked down at my phone, seeing Jackson texted me in a group chat a reminder about not getting trashed at his house. I shook my head, thinking of all the people that won’t be listening to him, just as Derek pulled up to the house. I looked up, seeing Melissa McCall’s car wasn’t in the driveway. I looked over at Derek who was staring straight ahead. “Come on in. I’ll make lunch,”

Derek seemed taken back as he slowly turned the car off and got out of the car. I brought all my things with me, walking to the front door. I took the key from underneath the welcome mat and unlocked the door, putting the key back into the original location. The smell of cinnamon and apple pie roamed through the house, warming my heart. The McCall house had always felt like a bed and breakfast overlooking a lake in Michigan with the way it was set up. I walked to the kitchen, placing my belongings on the all-white island with a light brown wooden top, already knowing where everything was. I grabbed a pot, filling it with water, and placing a top on it. I put it on the stove to boil, going to a cabinet to grab two boxes of rotini pasta.

Derek sat down at the light brown, wooden kitchen table, looking extremely uncomfortable. I went to the refrigerator, grabbing mozzarella and pasta sauce, and closing the door. I grabbed a cutting board and knife from the drawer underneath the sink and to the left of the stove. I began cutting the mozzarella into thin slices as I spoke. “Why do you look so terrified?”

Derek cleared his throat. “I’m not,”

I rolled my eyes. “You don’t have to play tough-ass with me. What’s going on?”

Derek spoke, nearly inaudible. “I’m not used to having anyone cook for me,”

I took the top off the pot on the stove, pouring the pasta boxes in. I took some salt, sprinkling it into the pot, and stirring the pasta with a stainless steel fork that I took from the drawer to the right of the stove. “Well, I’m actually a good cook. Why do you think the boys keep me around?”

Derek stood up, walking to my left. He looked at the cabinets, confused. “Where are cups?”

I pointed to my left. “They’re in the cabinet closet to the sink,”

Derek took a cup out for himself, looking at me. “Do you want water?”

I stopped the stove, allowing the pasta to sit for a second. “You can grab a soda, you know. Melissa makes sure this house is stocked to the brim with food at all times for us. They’re in the bottom drawer in the refrigerator. Grab me a Doctor Pepper, please?”

Derek hesitated, walking to the large white contraption anyway. He bent down, grabbing two cans for us. He poured his into his cup, throwing the empty can into the recycling bin to the left side of the doorway. “Do you want me to pour yours for you?”

I smiled to myself at how innocent and calm Derek seemed to be for once. I poured the pasta into a large plastic strainer, putting the pot back onto the stove. I set it on the lowest setting, pouring the fully drained pasta back into the pot. “Go sit down in the living room and just bring my can with you. I’ll be down with this in a minute or two,”

I heard Derek hesitate once more, than finally picked up our drinks and walked out of the room. I heard the television go on and him beginning to flip through the channels. I put the cheese and sauce slowly into the pot, mixing all the ingredients together. Once all the cheese had fully melted, I grabbed four large yellow bowls from the shelf above where Derek grabbed his cup from. I set two aside for the boys for when they got home in a while, knowing they’d be starving. I took Derek and I’s bowls, filling them to the brim with pasta. I took out two forks, placing them into the bowls. I put the top on the pot, leaving it on, and placing the serving spoon on a paper towel to the left hand side of the pot on the counter. I grabbed a stack of napkins and carefully picked up our meals. I brought it out to Derek, seeing him sitting with his body at a perfectly ninety-degree angle and his hands in his lap. I noticed he had taken his shoes off, seeing them placed around the bend near the front door. I placed the food on the dark brown coffee table in front of us and I sat down to the right of him, trying not to laugh as I spoke. “Relax, Derek. Everything is completely safe here,”

Derek fixed his posture, slumping a bit forward. He dragged the table closer to us, digging into the bowl. He made a soft grunt, catching me off guard. “This is actually incredible,”

I smiled, grabbing the remote from his side to turn up ’It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’. “I’m happy you enjoy it. I’m also surprised you like this show. I figured I was coming out and watching either sports and health or the news,”

Derek shook his head, swallowing the large amount of food in his mouth. “I’m still young, you know. I’m not forty years old, yet,”

I picked up my soda, opening it. “I’m sorry I kind of think you’re a tool, sometimes. I’m also sorry I called you a tough-ass,” Derek looked at me, confused. “You’ve been through a lot and you’re just guarded from it. I guess I’m just used to people naturally being comfortable around me,”

“It’s because you’re an ore,” Derek stated. I looked at him, taking a bit of my food, waiting for him to explain. “It’s someone who people naturally let their guard down around. It has something to do with your aurora you give off. I never really read too much into it, but I knew once I met you that you were one. Your mom was, too. That’s why I was always very close with her,”

I looked at him, making my mouth go small out of a nervous habit. “Is that why you’re getting okay around me quicker than you would with, like, Scott or Stiles?”

Derek shrugged. “Basically, yeah. I’ve known you for years now, but this is the first time I’ve really got to sit down and speak to you about something other than the supernatural…. For the most part, at least,”

I smiled, taking a drink of my soda. “I always thought you hated me, actually. It was kind of a fear of mine,” Derek raised an eyebrow with a mouth full of food, wanting me to explain. I took a bite, quickly chewing and swallowing before I spoke. “You’re intimidating. It’s not that you scare me as a person, but it scared me to think that someone that could easily take me in a fight hated me,”

Derek swallowed his food, shaking his head. “I never hated you. I have just always been extremely cautious person around people,”

I took a bite of my pasta and a sip of my soda, watching Derek for a moment before he noticed. “You’re a good guy,”

Derek gave me a fait smile before eating the rest of his pasta. I finished mine a few moments later, placing the empty bowls on the table. I sat Indian-style on the couch, looking down at my fingers. Derek looked over at me. “What’s wrong?”

I frowned. “If I get my nails done and I have to use my claws, will I ruin my nails?”

“Only if you get acrylics, I’m assuming,” Derek shrugged. I looked over at him, wide-eyed over the fact that he knew what that term meant. “I used to have sisters, you know,”

I laughed, getting up from the couch. I turned the television off, grabbing my garbage along with Derek’s empty bowl. He took the napkins and his soda, trailing behind me. I threw the dirty bowls in the sink, pouring water into them. Derek reached over me, putting his glass in the sink as well. He took my empty can and napkins and put them in the trash. I turned around, smirking. “Let’s go to the mall,”

**********

The entire drive to the mall was spent with Derek having his perpetual-frown plastered onto his face in silence. I tried my hardest not to burst out laughing, knowing he was dreading waiting at the nail salon for me. We found a parking spot, luckily, close to one of the malls multiple entrances. As we got out of the car, I looked over the hood at Derek, seeing that he looked miserable. “Derek, I filled your tummy. You can spend forty-five minutes with me,”

Derek grumbled, mumbling under his breath, and grabbed his leather jacket from the back of the car. We began to walk to the mall and I looked out of the corner of my eye, seeing Derek become progressively more suicidal with every step. I laughed, earning a dirty look. He bumped into my right side, nearly knocking me down. “I’m getting a haircut and then I’ll wait for you,”

I laughed as he opened both entrance doors for me, though I know he wanted to slam them in my face. I grabbed my debit card from my left boot and held it, along with my phone, in my right hand. “Come to the ATM with me first and then you can leave me,”

I walked straight, going right towards the machine. Once there, I quickly swiped my card and typed my pin in. I took out every last penny from my account, putting the card back in the original location. I took two twenty-dollar bills from the large stack of several hundred dollars, placing it in the left side of my bra. I kept the money in the back of my phone case and looked up to see a very confused Derek. “I don’t want them to see where I’ve been if they track my purchases on my card,”

Derek nodded, approving of my plan. Derek walked away, calling to me from behind him. “I’ll see you in a bit,”

I walked to the nail salon that was directly across from the hair salon on the left side of the mall. I walked in, seeing only one other girl getting her nails done. A small Vietnamese-American woman with short black hair and a friendly face came towards me. “Hi, love. What would you like?”

“Just a manicure, please,” I smiled.

She motioned towards several racks of colors to the right of the wall. “Have fun choosing,”

I smiled, nodding my head in appreciation, and walked to the wall. I shifted the weight between my legs, trying to choose between a solid black or a solid red. The small lady came back towards me and I showed her the bottles. “I’ll be wearing black shorts and a red shirt and red shoes tonight. What color do I choose?”

The woman paused for a moment. “Ditch the red shoes and go for yellow. It’ll be a nice color block. Then, go for black nails,”

I smiled at the woman brightly, approving of her plan. “I like your style,” She laughed, taking me over to her nail station.

**********

The little woman had suckered me into getting a pedicure, though she told me she wasn’t going to charge me for it. Her explanation was that she enjoyed speaking to me more than any of her other customers, causing me to think back to what Derek had told me earlier.

As the nail technician finished painting my toes, Derek waltzed in. His hair was styled in his daily fashion, though it was shorter. His ears peaked out a bit more on the sides, causing him to look a few years younger than normal. I smiled, waving at him. He frowned at me, sitting down in a huff. The little woman noticed, looking back towards him. She laughed, putting on a gel top coat. “He’s a very handsome fellow. Is that the date for tonight?”

I laughed. “No! He’s a very good friend of mine, though,”

The woman scoffed, glancing up at me. “Honey, any man that will follow a girl to a place like this is a keeper in one way or another,”

I giggled, looking back at him and seeing him looking with disgust through a random magazine. “He’s a great guy,” I looked down at her as she finished her job. “I’m very grateful to have him around, but I’m sure we won’t be together anytime soon. He’ll make another girl one happy lady one day, though,”

The lady grabbed a pair of throw-away flip-flops, slipping them on for me. She laughed, patting my left knee. “With a body like that, I’m positive he will,”

I laughed, never realizing how attractive Derek genuinely was. I gave the lady a tip along with paying for the rest of her services, promising her I’d come back again. I walked towards Derek and he looked up, grimacing. “We can leave now?”

I shook my head, yes, waving to the lovely woman as I walked out. I turned left instead of right towards the exits, causing Derek to cross his arms angerly. “I’m popping into Forever 21 and getting something quickly,”

Derek let out a huff, walking to my right. As we walked in, I went straight to the middle of the store, heading for the heels. I walked slowly around the section, looking for a pair of decent yellow heels. “I heard what you said, by the way,” Derek walked close behind me, making me slightly nervous. “Thank you,”

I smiled, shrugging. “It was all true. Don’t thank me for stating facts,” I squealed, grabbing the same pair of heels I had brought with me originally, but in a brightly-colored yellow suede fabric and a small peep-toe opening and a strap that secured around my ankle. I looked at the size and price, seeing that they were only twelve dollars and my exact size. “I’ll pay and we can finally leave,”