Hold My Heart

New

This is my first fanfic ever, so sorry if it sucks. Hope you like it! :) There will be some scenes that involve self-harm

Kellin's POV

I set my suitcase down with a thud next to my new bed. I sighed and looked around at the room. It wasn't quite as big as my old room, but it was still nice. It was on the second story of the house, and it had a small window overlooking the street outside. Right now the room was very bare. It only had a bed and a TV set up on top of a dresser drawer. I longed to be in my old room again, but I knew that wasn't possible. My parents died in a car crash about a week ago, and now I'm living with my Uncle Billie. At the thought of my parents, my heart quickly dropped. I knew the reason that I was moving here, but I didn't want to think about it. I had to leave my old home in Los Angeles, my friends, everything. Los Angeles is now where my parents are buried.

I pushed these thoughts back from my head. If I kept them going, I would end up doing the same thing I always found myself doing when I was depressed. It was something I'd done a lot in the past week.

I jumped when I heard my uncle knock on the door before entering, even though the door was already open. He leaned against the door frame, propping himself up of his arm.

"Need some help unpacking?" he asked. I shook my head.

"No, I'm fine," I replied. He ran a hand through his messy black hair.

"Alright, well, dinner's going to be ready soon. Oh, and you've gotta sign a few forms for your school enrollment," he said before walking off. I almost grimaced at the thought of having to start a new school in two days. People at my old school were pretty accepting of me when I came out as gay, but I wasn't sure how this school was going to be. I decided that I would keep quiet until I figured everything out. My uncle knew, of course. He is bisexual, so, naturally, he was very accepting. But I've learned over time that the same can't be said for everyone. I guess I'm lucky that Billie was chosen to be my guardian, even if it is only for a few more months. I'm seventeen, and my birthday is coming up in April. It's now March. After graduation, I'll live here with him for the summer, then go off to college. But until them, I would be attending Clairemont High here in San Diego.

-2 days later-

It is now Monday morning, and I'm preparing for my first day at my new school. I was so nervous I felt like I was going to be sick, so I didn't eat much breakfast. I stood outside my house and waited for the bus. It was sprinkling outside, and I knew that it was about to turn into a downpour, so I wished that the bus would hurry. Eventually, I heard a loud mechanical groan, and the bus rounded the street corner and stopped in front of my house. I quickly stepped on and saw that it was already crowded, so I took the first seat I saw that wasn't doubled up yet. I sat next to a boy with shoulder-length brown hair and tan skin. He was probably Hispanic. And he was absolutely gorgeous. He was fiddling around on his phone before he looked up and saw me.

"What are you doing?" he asked in an annoyed tone. My eyes went wide.

"Um, I'm . . . I'm sorry. I'll just sit somewhere else," I muttered nervously. I stood back up and quickly found another seat next to a boy with long, messy red hair. I closed my eyes for a second and cursed at myself internally for being so awkward. The boy with red hair looked at me.

"Yeah, most people try to avoid him, especially in the morning. He gets cranky," the boy said with a smirk. I just nodded.

"I can see. What's his name?" I asked.

"Vic Fuentes. He basically treats everyone at this school like they're his bitch. And you don't want to get on his bad side," he replied. "I'm Jesse, by the way."

"Kellin," I said with a small smile. Maybe this day wouldn't be so bad after all. I already had a friend, kind of. Jesse and I talked the whole rest of the way to school, mostly about where I was from and what to expect today. I didn't tell him about my parents though. I thought that if I brought it up then I would get upset and start crying on the bus, which is not what I needed on my first day.

When we arrived at school, Jesse showed me to my locker and my first period class. The only class we had together was sixth period, so I probably wouldn't see him again until the end of the day. I just hoped that Vic wouldn't be in any of my classes. Jesse said not to get on his bad side, and I had annoyed him already this morning. But of course, it was just my luck that as soon as I walked into my first period math class, Vic was sitting right in the front.

"Are you the new student?" the teacher asked. I turned to see a tall man, probably in his thirties, staring at me.

"Yes," I replied. "My name's Kellin."

"Well, Kellin, welcome to class. My name is Mr. Cress. You can take a seat right here in the front," he said, motioning towards the only empty desk in the room, the one that was right next to Vic. I internally groaned as I walked towards the desk and sat down.

The rest of class was actually pretty interesting. Mr. Cress was really funny and was one of those teachers that would throw markers at a student if they gave a wrong answer. Every so often I would glance at Vic, but he was never looking back at me. I knew that was a good thing, but I couldn't help but wish that I would catch him looking back at me one time. Oh dammit, I don't have a crush on him do I? I knew the answer to that question. Yes, yes I did. I didn't know why. The only time he ever talked to me, he was a total d-bag. but there was something about him that I found extremely attractive. Maybe it was his face. Yeah, it was probably just his face.

The rest of the day passed quickly. I had lunch with Jesse, which was good, because I didn't really want to sit alone. It looked like he usually sat by himself because there wasn't anyone else at his table. I guess we were both glad just to have someone else's company. I was relieved when I finally made it onto the bus that afternoon. I had made it through a whole day without getting beat up. I looked around and wondered where Jesse was, but then I remember his saying something about how he doesn't ride the bus most afternoons.

I started to get a little bit apprehensive, but quickly calmed myself down when I realized that it was a very short bus ride. As long as I don't have to sit next to Vic I would be fine. Right on queue, Vic sauntered up onto the bus, quickly glancing around for an empty seat. I guess he didn't see any because before I knew it, Vic was sitting beside me. I immediately tensed up.

"Shit," I whispered to myself. The bus rumbled as it started, and soon we were driving off towards peoples' houses. After about five minutes, Vic turned towards me.

"Look, I'm sorry about this morning. I wasn't really trying to be a dick. I was just tired and I was waiting for my friend to get on, so . . . ," he said, his voice trailing off at the end.

"It's okay," I said quietly. We sat there awkwardly for a few more minutes before he spoke again.

"I'm Vic, by the way," he said.

"I'm Kellin," I replied.

"I know. I'm in your first period class. Mr. Cress is sure something, huh?"

"Yeah," I said, laughing quietly. "I didn't know that teachers were allowed to throw things at their students. Or cuss so much."

"Well, that's Mr. Cress for you," Vic said. I was slowly starting to become more comfortable around him, and I liked that, but I still wasn't sure if it was a good idea to talk to one of the most popular kids in school. For the moment though, I didn't care.

"So, if you're a senior, why are you taking the bus to school? Do you not have a license?" he asked.

"No, I have a license, I just don't have a car," I replied. "What about you?"

"I got in trouble a few weeks ago, so my parents took my keys away for a while as punishment. I'm getting them back soon though," Vic said as the bus came to a stop in front of a house. "This is my stop. I guess I'll see you around Kellin."

I nodded as he stood and exited the bus. I had gone from hating to liking this guy in a very short span of time. I was also very confused by the fact that he talked to me voluntarily. Jesse said that he was mean to everyone, so why was he suddenly being friendly? I had no idea. So did I have two friends now? I wasn't really sure if I considered Vic a friend yet, but I knew that I definitely wanted to talk to him again.