Self Sacrifice

Nine

"WHAT DID YOU GIVE HIM?!" Miguel just smiled as Austin punched him and his brother repeatedly until Sean pulled him backwards, trying to shout sense into him.

"Let's take Andy and leave, we need to get him to a hospital, Austin! Now!!" Austin nodded and picked up Andy, grabbing the gun from his bodyguard and shooting each of the Mexicans in their feet before running out towards the car, wrapping his jacket round Andy as he did so.

The others climbed into the car and Austin shouted at them until they'd taken off at full speed.
Austin ignored the eyes of his friends and kissed Andy's forehead, gently rubbing his shoulder as his back was still bleeding slowly.

"Come on Andy, stay with me. Please...." The ride to the hospital was excruciating, Larry had called a friend of his, a doctor, who rushed them in the minute they got there. The four men, two burly bodyguards, and two deceptively weedy-looking IT geniuses, watched Austin pace up and down outside the surgery room.
Daniel fetched coffee, sending a reassuring glance Sean's way as he passed them round, knowing full well that his best friend was worried sick about their friend and employer.

"Larry?" The doctor poked his head round the door, Larry gestured to Austin.

"Austin's the one you want. He's the one closest to Andy." The doctor looked to Austin who searched the doctors face, looking desperately for any sign of good, or bad news.

"I'd like to talk to you before you see him." They watched as the doctor gestured down the corridor and Austin listened intently to what he had to say.

"There are the obvious wounds, he's suffered blood loss, he has broken bones, severe bruising, concussion. He also entered the primary stages of starvation, he's suffering with severe dehydration, and his lungs are damaged. I think he was either partially drowned, or someone used waterboarding on him." Austin closed his eyes for a minute, fighting back his emotions.

"He's going to need constant physical care for the next few weeks. And as for the mental damage done? Well, we'll have to wait and see. But it's going to be a difficult task and as a doctor, I need to-"

"I understand. I won't leave his side until he's better, I won't." The doctor smiled gently.

"I'm glad to know he's got people who care about him so much." Austin coughed awkwardly and nodded.

"Yes, well, I'd like to keep him here for the next two days, until he's stable. But then I think it would be best for him to be in a familiar and comfortable environment. You need to ensure that his mental stress is kept at the lowest possible level." Austin nodded.

"I'm going to give you antibiotics for the infections, and dressings that you'll need to help him change twice a day. But getting him to see a counsellor, or talk to you about what happened, is just as important as his physical care." Austin nodded again and shook the doctors hand.

"Thank you. You saved his life-"

"I have a feeling that you did that actually. Oh, I forgot to mention. We had to pump his stomach, there was trace amounts of potassium cyanide in his system." Austin sighed heavily.

"I wondered what he'd given him..."

"How long did it take you to get here?"

"About ten minutes I think, why?"

"There must've been less than 100 milligrams in his system...or it must've been diluted. We're lucky it didn't kill him. Anyway, if you have any questions or need help, this is my mobile number. Good luck, Austin." They shook hands and Austin took a deep breath before walking into the room, closing the door behind him quietly.

Andy stirred. He tried to pull his eyelids open, but they were dry, he screwed them shut and waited for moisture to gather before he could open them. He looked up. White. Pressure on his hand, and pain everywhere. He looked down. Austin.
"Austin..." The pressure increased as the man squeezed his hand.

"Hi." Andy squirmed slightly, looked away to control the gathering tears.

"I'm sorry." He turned back and Austin was looking down at his hand.

"..what?"

"I....didn't save you quickly enough...I...I put you..." He took a deep breath in as his voice cracked.

"I put you there....forgive me." Wetness dripped onto his hand and Andy moved his other hand to Austin's head.

"You saved me. I'm sorry..I gave up on you-" Austin tearily met his eyes.

"He tortured you."

"You would have lasted longer." Austin shook his head and moved forwards, kissing Andy's forehead gently.

"I'm just glad you're alive. I'm not leaving you again, and they're not coming back for you. You're safe, so get some rest and I can get you back home. I'm not leaving you." Andy nodded gladly and rested his tired head back on the pillow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please drop a comment! Thank you so much for reading <3