Self Sacrifice

Thirteen

The following weeks were difficult for both of them. Andy was beginning to retreat into himself, and Austin was trying to draw him back out.

Conrad Sienson had been tricky, he hadn't yet asked Austin for anything, but his presence loomed over him, and it had started to grate on his nerves.

Andy was exhausted, his nightmares had been constant and so severe, that he was at the point where he was afraid of going to bed. Austin had been pushing him to eat, but every meal time was a struggle. And since he had opened up about his troubled childhood, he hadn't been prepared to tell him any more, hadn't been prepared to discuss what had happened with Veronés, or what was in his nightmares. Nothing.

"Hi...what are you doing?" Austin asked sleepily as he walked into the kitchen.

"Oh, morning. I was having trouble sleeping...I've been awake for hours so, I figured I could make breakfast. Don't you have a meeting today? You need more than a cup of coffee-" Austin pulled Andy into a floppy hug, kissing his hair.

"Thanks. You didn't need to do this. Can I ask you something though?"

"Mhmm." Andy replied absent-mindedly, Austin grasped hold of his shoulders and turned him back to face him.

"Listen, if I go up to Vegas, are you going to look after yourself? Are you going to be ok?"

"I've already told you, I'll be fine."

"I need you to be honest with me. I'm gonna be gone for tonight. Do you want Daniel or Sean to stay here with-"

"No."

"I know you're hurting, and it's probably humiliating for you, but it's ok to be scared."

"I'll be fine. Really."

"You can always stay at the hotel with-"

"Austin, go."

"Ok...but if you need anything you call Sean or Dan, or Anita the housekeeper, she only lives-"

"AUSTIN!!!" Andy sighed heavily.

"I'm sorry, but you won't talk to me, so I-"

"I'm sorry. But I'll be ok, and if not, I'll call someone, okay?" Austin nodded.

"You just go, and concentrate on your work. Don't worry about me." Austin kissed him before they sat down to eat.

Andy forced a smile when he left.

He limped back to the couch before his phone started ringing. The shrill tone cut through his ears as he recognised the number flashing up upon the screen.
"Hi...dad."

"Andy, how are you?"

"Alright. You?"

"Didn't sleep last night, I feel like I could burst with all the things I need to say to you! When can I see you?" Andy closed his eyes and composed himself.

"I...things are a bit tricky at the moment...I'm a bit unwell...and I'm at..a friends house, in L.A. But I'll be back in New York soon, and when I am we can meet then."

"Are you alright, Andy?"

"Yes..." His lip began to tremble and he fought against the unbearable urge to burst into tears and beg his estranged father to come and look after him.

"What's wrong, son? I know I probably gave up the right to call you that a long time ago, but I still love you. I never stopped." Andy stuttered and covered his mouth with one hand, and held his phone away from him with the other.

"Are you safe, son? Don't panic, I've got all night." Andy hesitantly pulled the phone back towards him.

"I don't think I'm okay, dad."

"Ok, tell me what's happened."

Austin was drunk. Well, not really, but he definitely wasn't sober.
Two of his biggest clients had announced that they hadn't the money to repay him, and Austin was having to whip out the big guns to ensure that they did. He didn't enjoy doing that, nor did he like profits lowering - which had also happened.

The conference had been exhausting. Tempers had been short, and having to constantly ease tension in a room full of powerful business men was never a simple or enjoyable task.
"Can I get you another one, sir?" The bartender asked, Austin nodded sharply.

"Thank you." He caught the glass when it was slid back to him skilfully, and began sipping at the harsh, burning whiskey once again. The bar was clean, modern and quiet. Few people were still awake so late at night, most of the other business men had returned to their hotel rooms, or were out. Either way, Austin was alone. He finally had space to think.

"Hi." Maybe not, after all. He turned to see a young man leaning against the bar.

"Scotch on the rocks, with a twist please. And whatever my friend here is having..."

"I'm all set, thank you." The bartender began working on the drink and Austin took another gulp from his glass.

"In town for business, or pleasure?"

"Business." He replied gruffly, not in the mood to be talking, let alone be flirted with.

"You seem tense...no pleasure to help ease it off?"

"Not for me. I drink and work it off."

"I can see...so, you travelled far?"

"L.A." Austin wouldn't have replied, but the alcohol had begun to blur the lines that were usually so clear in his mind.

"Nice..I'm from Washington myself. Oh come on, things can't be that bad. Smile." Austin looked, exasperatedly at the dark haired man to his left, and he held up his hands.

"Sorry. Want a refill?" He gestured to the empty glass.

"Sure. Trying to get me drunk?"

"You're most of the way there already." Austin sighed, Andy floating around in the back of his mind.

"I'm sorry, but I can't do this."

"Married?"

"What? No..."

"Boyfriend? Girlfriend? Both?"

"No."

"Ouch. Could've just said that I'm not your type."

"Well you are, that's not the problem.." He raised an eyebrow and Austin groaned inwardly, realising his last chance to get rid of the man had gone.

"Really?"

"I guess."

"So what's the problem? Hmm?" He now had a hand on Austin's thigh, and his breath was warm on his ear and it all felt so good...

"Are you alright?"

"I'm better, thank you."

"This man...Austin..is he a good person?"

"He is to me. He is underneath it all. And I'm not just saying that."

"Well, that's all I need to know then. I'm just...I'm so sorry."

"I know you are."

"So can I come visit you there? Or would you prefer it once you're back in New York?"

"Maybe back in New York would be a better idea."

"Ok, I'll visit you as soon as you give me the go-ahead. But in the meantime, you call me if you need anything, doesn't matter what time, whatever you need ok?"

"Thanks dad. Bye."

"Bye, Andy." He curled up with a blanket on the couch and watched movies, somewhere around midnight he finally fell asleep.

Austin woke with a dry mouth and a sore heard. He sighed and sat up slowly, dread filling his mind when he realised he was naked. He spun round but no one was there. He checked in the bin in the bathroom, sure enough there was a used condom inside it. He swallowed dryly and fought down the nausea rising in his stomach.

When he returned to the bedroom he noticed the note on the bedside cabinet.
- Meet me outside the hotel today, 8am. I have a proposition for you. K.Q -

"K.Q...?" Austin couldn't remember a thing. He couldn't remember sleeping with the guy at the bar, couldn't remember anything after him whispering in his ear. Especially not his name.

Andy woke up and begrudgingly started the long process of changing his dressings, cursing when the bandages that were hard to reach went wrong. It was so much easier with Austin's help. That thought made Andy sigh. A few moths ago he would've hated the thought of needing Austin for anything, let alone having feelings for him. Now, he was still bitter over the fact that he needed him, but he knew that the second he saw him later that day, that bitterness would fade instantly and he'd be carried away with his feelings again.

Austin glanced at his watch and bit back irritation when he saw that the man was fifteen minutes late. No sooner had he thought that, the young man jogged up the steps to the hotel and extended his hand to Austin who ignored it. Suddenly very angry.
"What's this proposition you have for me?"

"No need to be like that-"

"Drop the act. What do you want from me?" He snorted slightly and acted innocent, but Austin's steely glare soon had him straightening up and losing the facade.

"Very well. I have been...sponsored, by a client, shall we say, to gain some material that he could use against you. I do apologise, it's nothing personal, but that is the case." Austin gritted his teeth.

"Did you film us? Arrange for a photographer to take pictures? This isn't the first time it's happened."

"Something along those lines, yes-"

"So what price do I have to pay to get all the material back?"

"Quite a hefty sum unfortunately."

"Who are you working for?"

"That...is information I am not at liberty to disclose." Austin was bristling with anger by this point and the man wavered for a moment, but buried his fear skilfully.

"So what's the price?"

"My employer has asked you for a sum of $10 million dollars."

"$10 million?...hmm...how do I know you have this material?"

"I can show you." Austin nodded and followed the man out towards a car, waving Sean and Daniel away.

They drove out towards a house surrounded by trees.
"I thought you came from Washington?"

"I do. My employer rented it for me." Austin followed him inside the house, taking everything in, and keeping his hand fixed on his gun.

"May I ask you to put the gun down? It makes me nervous."

"Good." He sighed and began tapping away at a computer keyboard, pulling up a gallery of pictures of Austin, himself, and the two of them together.

"There's no video...no pictures of us actually having sex. How do I know you didn't drug me and stage it?"

"You don't. Nor will Andy." The moment his name left his lips, Austin felt pure rage shoot through him, and the man looked terrified.

"So that's what you plan to do with these? Show him?" The man held his hands up.

"Not me...my job is almost over. But my employer will ensure that he gets them later today, unless you wire the funds into his account." Austin took a deep breath in and let his eyes bear into the other man's, showing him his anger, scaring him.

"And if I choose to send him your head rather than my money?" The man swallowed.

"I'm pretty sure he'd still show him."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you SO much for subscribing to this story, and for reading and commenting!! If you haven't done so yet, please do, and let me know what you think! <3