Living in a World so Cold

Living In A World So Cold

Andy's hands clung to the cage, bottom lip trembling as a cloth was draped over it. "P-Please, sir! Let me out!" the boy begged. "I don't want to be sold! Please!" he cried.
"Oh, shut it, neko. I'm gonna make good money off a pretty lil thing like you..." he heard a man sneer and disappeared.
Andy sunk to the bottom of his restricting space, curling up in the corner. His black and white tail curled around him and his ears buried themselves in his hair as he wept into his dirty knees.
He didn't deserve this life.
3 years ago, he was a normal 16 year old boy. Now what was he? A neko. That's what they were called, right? Of course there were also names such as slave, freak, bitch, and not even rarely, they're masters would ask their name. Even when they did, they never bothered to use them when addressing them...
Andy remembered the day it all happened.
Being taken from his backyard, blacking out, and waking up in a cage. Like this... He never got to say goodbye to anyone, either.
His best friend, or his parents. What would they think if they found out he had ended up in the slave market as a cat hybrid?
He shook his head, dismissing the thoughts. To make matters worse, Andy had grown up with feelings that only grew stronger for his best friend back then. However, the past 3 years have traumatized him to the point his old life was a blur, and he could hardly recall his name. But it started with an A...
"...and here we have the youngest of the slaves you've seen today." The auctioneer announced. The chattering among the crowd diminished as the fabric was removed from his cage, light blinding Andy in an instant. He scooted back from the strange men, all eager to get their hands on the best of the slaves. "This, here, is a precious little neko. He's hardworking, obedient, and useful to any and every need." He grinned. Andy shuddered and whimpered as everyone eyed him, lust and want clouding the eyes of every man in the room. Except one.
There was one boy, looking around the age of 20, in the very front. His brown eyes studied Andy curiously before turning to the auctioneer.
"I'll take him." he said. Why did that voice sound so familiar? The auctioneer accepted the money from the boy and hooked a leash onto my collar.
"Take 'em. Enjoy." the auctioneer winked. The boy tugged Andy away from the auction, taking him to an old pick up truck and tossing him in. Although the boy was the only one who didn't seem to seek any physical satisfaction from Andy, he could tell he was going to be a harsh master.
The ride was quiet as Andy looked out the window, thinking to himself. Where was his friend now? Did anyone look for him? Did anyone care? Tears formed in Andy's eyes, but he quickly wiped them away before his master could see.
"M-Master?" Andy croaked when he was led inside.
"Did I give you permission to speak?!" Master snapped, slapping Andy's cheek. Andy yelped and whimpered, jumping back. "What do you want?!"
"Wh-what sh-shall I call you...?" Andy asked, fear more evident this time.
Master let out a deep sigh and closed his eyes. "Ashley. But don't think this means you're equal to me, neko." He growled and unhooked the leash. "There's a blanket in the corner there for you to sleep on. Now go clean the kitchen, and your dinner depends on how well you do."
Andy nodded and scurried off to the kitchen, taking a mop and standing on shaky legs as he began to clean the floor. He wasn't used to standing anymore... He wasn't used to using his legs in general. His past masters didn't like being shorter than their slave... so they ordered he crawl on his knees instead. Andy bit his lip, grasping the counter for support as he finished cleaning the tile floor.
After 2 hours of endless scrubbing and cleaning, Andy had finished the task of cleaning the kitchen.
"D-done." He said meekly.
Ashley walked in, observing the work. He sighed and set down a plate of cold leftovers for Andy.
"Go to bed after you eat." He ordered and went to another room.
Andy nodded and devoured the food. He did as told and went to the thin blankets on top of some cardboard and curled up, trembling as he fell asleep.
Days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months.
Andy had gotten beaten and insulted day after day... Not like it was anything new, though.
"Learn your god damn place, slave!" Ashley delivered another kick to his ribs. "You do not, I repeat, do not defy me! Do you understand?!"
Andy curled up and nodded weakly, his ears flat against his snarled hair. "I'm so-sorry, M-Master." He cried.
"Good. I'm going to be gone today, and when I get back, I expect this whole damn house clean!" Ashley grabbed his wallet and keys, slamming the door behind him as he left.
Andy ignored the pain of his bruised ribs as he struggled to stand, doing as he was told.
Master was drunk again. Andy had made the mistake of pointing out a mistake in something he had been working on... He was doomed to live this way forever... He knew he was. No one would learn to treat someone like him as a human being again. He would never get to experience another happy christmas with family... or a birthday with friends... or even happiness and love. Andy forgot what happiness and love was after years of brutality, slavery and beatings.
It was unfair...
After Andy had completed his task, he dragged himself to bed, curling into a tight ball and sobbed into his knees. In the midst of his crying, he felt a hand on his back, startling Andy.
"M-Master! I- I'm sorry di-did I wake you?" He whimpered, inching away. But Master seemed a bit more calm now... Sad, even..
"I'm sorry." He whispered. "A friend of mine made me realize that... I... I treat you so bad, I'm sorry..."
"It's okay, Master. I was created for any purpose you give me." Andy recited.
"No. No you weren't. You weren't 'created', you were born." Ashley sighed and sat next to him, leaning against the wall. "Tell me about your past life....?"
"I w-was 16 when I was t-taken..." He whispered and looked down at his dirty hands. "I h-had a best friend, but I don't remember his name anymore..."
"I had a best friend too. But he went missing..." Ashley looked away and sighed. "They never found him... Everyone thinks he's dead."
"R-really? That's awful..." He frowned. "Wh-what was he like?"
"He was gorgeous." Ashley laughed quietly. "Bluest of eyes I've ever seen... they were so pure and innocent... He always loved Batman, too. He used to tell me that he wanted to be Batman, a singer or the male Oprah. We made up a handshake too..."
"Sh-show me?" Andy smiled. Ashley smiled as well, extending a hand and performing the handshake slow so Andy could understand. Something in the back of Andy's mind clicked, setting off a chain of locked away memories of his past. Andy joined in, doing the handshake they had had since grade school from memory.
"Best friends forever and ever." They said at the same time. Andy's eyes met Ashley's.
"A-Andy...?" Ashleys voice cracked.
"Ash..." Andy shrunk back and looked down, ashamed. "I- I'm sorry... I didn't think you'd have to s-see me like this..." He closed his eyes, awaiting a hit to the face. But instead, Andy felt a hand come into contact with the top of his head, scratching between his now perked up ears gently. Andy collapsed into Ashley's lap, a childish smile on his face as he erupted into soft purrs.
"I found you..." Ashley whispered and leaned down, kissing his forehead. Andy, without thinking, moved his head and crashed their lips together.
"I thought you were gorgeous too, dork." Andy grinned happily and curled up on his lap.
Andy wasn't alone anymore; he was happy. He was loved.
He found his best friend.