Ever Enough

Alexandra Forbes

“That was such a good session today; I know my entire body will be aching all week.” Lauren’s soft voice chuckled as she reached up and grabbed her bag from her locker. Alex turned to face her friend and smiled.

“I always feel better after a long gym session. Makes me feel less guilty about that greasy burger and chips I had for dinner. I wouldn’t think Debbie would be happy to see one of her employees with rolls hanging everywhere.” Alex laughed, throwing her head back in an old habit of hers.

“Rolls? Girl, you could eat your weight in chocolate and still have a bangin’ body.” Lauren’s choice of words had Alex laughing even harder as she pulled the elastic band from her hair, allowing her long blonde hair to fall around her shoulders, all the way to the middle of her back.

She adjusted the white top that had once been a normal white tee, but had been ripped just below the bust, exposing her entire stomach. Being a dancer and always getting herself hot and bothered, Alex often favoured small tops and shorts. She couldn’t dance in jumpers or tight full length leggings that some did. She felt more constricted in those items and liked to be able to have more freedom in her dance. But it also meant people liked to believe horrible things about her.

“So what do we have planned tonight?” Lauren asked as she stuffed some things in her gym bag and slung it over her shoulder. Alex followed suit and as both girls left the building towards their cars, she wondered what exactly she was doing. It was Friday, she had a lesson at the studio in an hour and after that, she didn’t have plans.

“Well I’m broke, so town is off the cards for me.” Alex frowned. She was what you would call a social butterfly. Alex didn’t do nights in on the sofa with a book- that was usually her Sunday plans. No, Friday and Saturdays were her free time, where she could party or see friends.

“I’m sure, skint or not, you’ll change your mind. Give me a call later, yeah?” Lauren asked, unlocking her car and placing her bags onto the passenger seat.

Alex just laughed and nodded, wishing her friend a farewell as she jumped into her own car and headed towards the studio. It was about a fifteen minute drive from here, but with London traffic, it usually meant the travel time doubled.

Alex arrived twenty five minutes later, pulling up into her parking space and cutting the engine. She looked at her phone which had been silenced at the gym, noting she had a couple of unread texts and two missed calls. She grimaced when she noted they were both from her father. It must be that time of the month again- the one where her father demanded her to visit for the day. She had been putting off the phone calls, but decided she would phone later.

The studio was busy like always, with bustling dancers moving to their designated classes. Alex had once been one of them, until she had been offered a job teaching once she finished school. Having been a frequent member in the street class, they recognised her passion and talent and offered her a chance to teach. Her mum had been thrilled, but her father was less than pleased. Being a successful business man, he only ever wanted his two children to follow in his footsteps. Unfortunately, Samuel dropped out of his business degree and pursued his love of music. He works as a sound engineer for big venues and concerts, and on the side plays with his band that Alex always makes time to watch- she is there number one fan. As for her, dance had always been number one. They both had to deal with a very disappointed father who scolded them a lot for their ‘supposed’ mistakes.

“Morning gorgeous,” Louie, the artistic director of the place greeted her with his sassy shoulder shake and a slap to the bum. “If only I was straight, honey.” He purrs.

“You can only dream, Louie.” Alex smiles back, watching him saunter away in his over the top manner.

Today Alex is attending a class herself, rather than teaching. There is a man who teaches the same class as Alex but on the days she doesn’t. They do every other day and share the Saturday class. When they’re not working they try and attend the class to keep on top of things. It also doesn’t hurt that they still get paid if they attend a class because they are employees and not just general members of the public.

“Morning,” Rory smiles as Alex walks in early for class. Rory and Alex have always been close, though after a stupid drunk hook up, they had laughed it off and decided against any further action between them both. They had remained good friends despite their moment of indiscretion.

“Please tell me we’re working through the basics today. I’m not sure my body can cope with anything too… demanding.” Rory laughs at her chosen words, before bringing his water to his mouth.

“I’m afraid no basics today, but it doesn’t matter, you’ve been called to the office by Debbie so she has dismissed you from class today.” Rory says, giving her a look as if to say, what have you done?

“Don’t give me that look, I’m in the clear. It must be something to do with schedules or maybe she wants me to fill in for someone again. I just hope it isn’t for the contemporary class again.” Alex enjoyed street and commercial dance; there is a sort of freedom in the moves, which is what drew her into the style in the first place.

“Well you better get your butt to her office before she comes looking. As much as a good boss she is, you know how impatient Debbie can get.” Rory laughed slinging an arm over her shoulder and placing a playful kiss to the top of her head. “Good luck, Stretch.”

Alex walks out the room; rolling her eyes at the nickname he always calls her. It stemmed from an incident when she was in the middle of a warm up stretch and she doubled over with cramp in her stomach. The name had stuck since.

Alex finds herself outside the manager’s office, her eyes tracing over the wooden frame in an attempt to stall. Eventually, she knows she will need to go in and decides now is a better time than ever. Rory’s questioning eyes quickly fade in and out of her mind before she gently knocks on the door. A muffled voice tells her to enter, so taking a deep breath, she pushes through the door.

Alex doesn’t know at first how to decipher what is going on. Debbie is sat behind her desk with a pleasant smile on her face, whilst a man with clipped black hair sits in one of the two seats in front. It isn’t until the man stands to greet Alex, that she recognises his globally known face. The last time Simon Cowell was here, he was scouting the place for possible new talent to hire. Big shots in the music industry usually popped by now and then to find new faces for tours or music videos.

“Alex, take a seat please.” Debbie asks, gesturing to the free chair next to Simons.

Alex sits and finds herself squirming slightly as both sets of eyes are on her.

“You’re probably wondering why you have been called in here. You know, I try not to summon my employees like they’re in school, but when it concerns private and business with outside companies; it’s in everyone’s interest things stay inside this office.” Debbie begins to speak, shuffling through papers on her desk.

“Don’t frighten the girl with such serious talk, Debs.” Simon laughs, his British accent thicker than most. Alex smiles awkwardly, biting her bottom lip as she tries to decide what is going on here.

“Do you need my help in recruiting new dancers, or something?” Alex enquires, staring between both powerful people, feeling smaller by the second. Simon laughs again and Debbie shakes her head, forcing out another small smile.

“No, Alex, that’s not what I called you here for.” Debbie grins, looking at Simon and gesturing towards her, “Would you care to explain the details with Alex.” Simon nods his head and turns his body to face Alex.

“As you might remember, I was in here the other week searching out a potential new dancer to teach one of the bands from my label. You may have not have known that, but’s that what I was doing.” He grins, fiddling with the buttons on his white shirt. He already has enough undone at the top that exposes his dark thick hair on his chest. Alex wants to giggle, but she reminds herself to act professional.

“Simon here was so taken by your dancing and your charitable deeds that he wanted to offer you the job.” Debbie almost squeals.

“But…” Alex tries to find the words as this bombshells falls onto her shoulders. Why would Simon want to hire an amateur to teach dance when he could have his pickings of any professional in the world? “What about work? I can’t leave Rory…”

“It’s all being sorted- if you say yes, then I can sort out a replacement until you’re back. This is a wonderful opportunity, Alex, and not to mention it could do wonders for your career.” Debbie looks almost proud as she pushes Alex towards this job.

Alex bites down further onto her bottom lip out of habit and stares at her hands, like somehow they would give her the pros and cons of the situation. She knows this is an amazing opportunity, but her self-doubting can be her worst enemy. Was she good enough? Simon seemed to think so.

“I think I would be stupid to say no,” Alex finally says, seeing Simon sigh out as he claps his hands together and stands to his feet.

“You won’t regret this, Alex.” He smiles brighter, showing off those famous pearly whites.

For the next half an hour, the three go over her contract and what the job will entail. Alex smiles when she hears the name Little Mix, a band she often dances too. Knowing she will be choreographing their tour dance routines is something that Alex will need time adjusting too.

“You won’t be alone; I’ve also hired another lady who will work alongside you. I’m hoping everything we discussed is taken seriously as I take great care when hiring new staff. I’ve been betrayed once before, and I hope to not let history repeat itself.” Simon’s voice is now stern and full of authority. Alex nods her head furiously.

“I understand, but I wouldn’t do anything to ruin such a chance in a lifetime.” Alex blushes, looking back to her fingers.

“Perfect.” He smiles into his words as he stands to his feet and dismisses himself with a brisk goodbye.

Later that night, as Alex nestled herself into her bed, she recalled today’s events. A day full of nothing to look forward to other than paying bills and watching reruns of boring soaps, Has now turned into one full of so much hope and possibility. Not thinking of the consequences, Alex picks up her phone and holds it against her ear.

It rings three times before her father’s deep and serious voice is heard on the other end.

“Hi dad,” Alex greets with fake sincerity.

“Alex, I’ve been calling all day, why haven’t you been answering my calls?” ten seconds in- that must be a new record for him, she thought dryly.

“I’m sorry, I’ve been busy with work and running errands, I haven’t had the time to look at my phone.” She lies, nibbling against the skin of lip, wincing when she draws blood. When she mentions work, she hears the tired sigh on the other end.

“How is the dream still going? Still managing to stay on top of your bills?” His tone is clipped and harsh, nothing new really.

“Yes, dad.” She sighs, running a hand through her unruly hair.

“Car payments and petrol still being paid for I hope? Remember, don’t come crying to me when you begin to struggle. This is life and you need to learn some life lessons if you wish to carry on with this silly dream of yours.” Alex claws at her hair, trying to ignore the pessimistic views on her career choice.

“I got offered a job today. A really big job, dad.” Alex sounds excited, hoping he will reciprocate her feelings and believe in her.

“Oh really? Have you finally woken up then?” Trust him to keep pissing on her fire.

“No, it’s still involving dance. Simon Cowell hired me, daddy.” She is so desperate, she even sounds like that little girl he use to dote on.

“What does that pompous idiot want with you?” Matthew, her father, once again has found the smallest things to pick at. He will never be happy with her choices in life.

“He wants me to tour with one of his bands. He wants me to choreograph their entire set,” Her voice is still clinging onto that small thread of hope that her father will turn his opinion around.

“And what about after that? Back to that studio, no doubt!” Alex throws her arms in the air, finally realising that no matter how big of a break she gets, he will never be happy.

“If I impress enough, he may hire me on for more!” Alex voice is strained as she carries on this fight for approval, knowing already she has lost.

“Don’t be so naïve, Alexandra.” The full name always means he isn’t playing around.

“Look, I need to go; I’ll speak to you soon.” Alex begins to end the dead end conversation,

“Don’t you dare hang up on me, Alexandra…”

Too late, she hangs up, throwing her phone to the bottom of her bed where it bounces and falls onto the carpeted floor. She stares at it lying carelessly on the floor, before deciding to leave it; she flicks the bedside lamp off and allows her head to hit the pillow. She doesn’t dwell too much on her father’s stale behaviour- it’s nothing new and shouldn’t surprise her.

In one week she will be starting this new job and a new chapter in her life. This is everything she had worked for, and she will be damned if her father or anyone tried to ruin it for her. At least she can count on her mum and Samuel to be supportive.

But yet the need for her father’s approval never strays far and tugs at the farthest end of her mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is just sort of an intro for Alex, to allow you to get to know her a little.

I'm so excited to be starting this story with Becca. We've been planning it for a little while now and we hope we don't disappoint.

Let us know what you think!

xox