Ever Enough

Alexandra Forbes

Alex stepped from the black taxi, wobbling on the platform heels and attempting to juggle her clutch bag and the bag full of alcohol. She didn’t want to turn up empty handed, and alcohol had always been a great ice breaker for her. Nothing said it better than vodka and jaeger.

The house in front of her was one she had remembered seeing in one of her celebrity magazines. It was everything you expected from a celebrity who were minted, but didn’t want to show off too much. Alex decided by just looking at the house that she would get on with Perrie and Zayn; they had good taste and she liked the minimal feel to it all.

As Alex shut the taxi door and thanked the man, who had already been kindly paid by Simon, Alex turned back to face the house, just as two guys stepped out. She sucked in some air, before reminding herself to breathe. She was familiar to celebrities, but it didn’t mean she didn’t get affected by the hot ones.

“Hey, Blondie, what can we help you with?” Harry Styles looked on guard, he arms crossed and his eyes hard and set on her. Alex gulped down the lump and realised she was being ridiculous; she belonged here and Simon had invited her personally.

Alex ignored his comment and sauntered towards the door. She reached out to knock when a hand came down on her shoulder. She jerked back and shot Harry a warning glare.

“My name is Alex, not Blondie, and if you plan on touching me again, at least buy me a drink first.” At the sound of her name, Harry eased and a brilliant smile broke on his handsome face.

“Oh you’re Alex! Sorry love, a guy like me needs to be on guard when it comes to pretty faces like yours.” His flirting barely affected Alex; she would admit he was nice to look at and maybe looked like he could be a good time in bed, but she wasn’t fooled by his playboy smile.

“Okay, now we have that sorted, do you mind inviting me?” It was the boy next to Harry who reacted first. Alex hadn’t noticed him at first, but now she was staring into some amazing blue eyes, she wondered how she could have so easily overlooked him.

“Sure, come with me and I’ll show you where you can leave your bag and coat. Harry, you go ahead and let them know our first guest has arrived.” His name was Luke, she remembered now from the thick Australian accent. She had listened to his band a few times and she knew that voice because she had thought his singing could create a female frenzy across the globe. Luke Hemming’s wasn’t someone you saw and then forgot.

“Thank you, it’s nice to know not all men are ignorant pigs.” Alex smirked, but her wink and tongue poking from out of her lips told Harry she was just messing. He liked her confidence; it was a trait he missed in the opposite sex.

Inside the house, Luke showed Alex to a room where she could hang her coat. He had been a gentleman and taken the alcohol from her; it had looked heavy and was pulling her down, he had done only what he had been taught growing up.

Luke them smiled and ushered for her to follow him through some doors, which eventually opened into a large spacious room that was the living room. Everyone was scattered, talking and smiling as they sipped their alcoholic drinks. Alex ignored the timid girl fighting to make an entrance, and gave her most brilliant smile. Simon noticed her first and approached Alex, embracing her in a warm hug.

“Hello Alexander, I hope the ride here was okay?” Simon smiled and Alex realised he didn’t seem like such a heartless man that the people and press made him out to be.

“Call me Alex, and yes it was brilliant- you needn’t have worried about paying for a taxi to come get me.” She told him, but made sure to sound as appreciating as she could to the man who had offered her a job of a lifetime.

“It was no problem, Alex. Now, come on and I’ll introduce you to the others; the girls are itching to meet Sophie and you.” Simon smiled, placing a hand to the small of her back and guiding her towards a group of people, all of which had each four members of Little Mix in it.

Introductions went smoothly and the girls took instantly to Alex, making her feel welcome with the smiles and compliments. As for the others, they too seemed more than welcoming to Alex, who felt slightly out of sorts with all these famous faces. However, these people were too down to earth for her to even consider them being anything but normal men and woman.

Sophie had arrived a little late, but her flustered face told them it wasn’t purposeful. Poor girl knew nothing of the London traffic; Alex would have to show her a few tricks to navigating this place.

She had greeted the girl with a hug and a sincere smile, and promised that they would get time to sit down and talk more when the party was over. There were too many people fighting for their attention that they realised a proper introduction would have to wait.

“Are you going to eat the rest of that burger?” A soft Irish voice spoke from beside Alex. She cocked her head up at Niall, who was still a foot or two higher than her even with her platforms on. Alex let a smile break free as she looked at her plate and then back to Niall.

“You want it?” She asked, raising an eyebrow and wondering if he was serious. It was half eaten and you could even see her lipstick stain on the top bun.

“I do if you’re offering,” He smiled and right there Alex realised just how open Niall Horan was and how little affected him. Alex handed Niall the half eaten burger and giggled when he practically demolished it in three bites, “You’re such a gannet, and I can’t believe you’re in such good shape.”

“I thought I saw you checking out my body.” Niall’s flirty response threw Alex off; wasn’t he the shy, quiet member of the group? Obviously not, because Niall was now leaning closer, so close she could smell his mouth watering aftershave that lingered with the smell of his fabric softener; it was a very appealing smell.

“Well you caught me, but what you gonna do about it?” Alex smirked, watching as Niall’s eyes lapped over her face, before his tongue darted out and moistened his lips.

“You’re feisty,” He chuckled, cupping his hand under her chin and giving it a cute tweak before removing it again. “So, I saw the bag full of booze; wanna slip away and get good ol’fashion tipsy?” Niall’s face was inches from hers and Alex realised if they weren’t in a crowded room and he wasn’t Niall Horan, she might have made her move already. Everything he was doing and saying told Alex that maybe Niall had taken a liking to her already.

“I thought you’d never ask,” She whispered, her eyes never leaving his brilliant blue crystal pools that were his eyes.

Niall grabbed her hand and both slipped away from the group unnoticed, heading up the stairs and into the last door on the left. Alex saw the bedroom and wondered if maybe Niall wasn’t such an innocent boy like she believed, but then he walked past the bed and pushed open the curtains. He opened up the French doors that lead onto a beautiful balcony. Alex let out a small sigh, realising she wasn’t prepared to reject Niall if he did already have such big ideas for them.

“It’s so beautiful up here,” Alex smiled, leaning over the black railing and staring down and then straight ahead at London city in the near distance.

“Perks of being famous,” Niall smirked, but it didn’t reach his eyes.

“Perks of being rich,” Alex pointed out and he laughed, nodding his head.

“Very true,” He murmured, opening up the vodka bottle and taking a healthy sip from it. Alex took the bottle and matched his eagerness. “Slow down girl, I wouldn’t even try and keep up with an Irishman.” He smiled proudly.

“Irish has nothing to do with it; I know that I could drink you under the table.” Alex smirked, taking another long swig.

Challenging Niall had been one of her worse decisions yet, and that was saying a lot as Alex had done her fair share of stupid things. Eventually she had to slur her way through her admittance of defeat. By this time, they both were pretty sloshed and were falling about laughing.

Alex loved how easy Niall was to be around and realised that if she wasn’t here to work, then she would have attempted to pursue something with the blonde. But he was Niall Horan, one fifth of the biggest band and a guy who could have any guy he wanted.

“Youreasoundgal, Aliiiix! Niall slurred, watching as she stood for another drink, but pulled her down onto his lap. Alex laughed, throwing her head back and laughing like a loon as the alcohol pumped through her system. She steadied herself on his lap, locking her arms around his neck as she almost fell off him and onto the concrete floor.

“Cheers, darling!” Alex giggled back, playing with his hair between her fingers.

“If you weren’t working for boss man, I’m thinking I would have already had you on that table and you screaming my name.” Niall’s words were clear and his face looked almost serious, if it wasn’t for the sloppy grin on his face.

Alex stared at him for a moment and then swallowed. Well who knew it- Niall Horan had a dirty mouth and that dirty mouth was surrounded by some lips that she was itching to kiss.

But then something clicked and she was reminded of the job that she was here for and that she was very dispensable to Simon and any wrong slip could send her back home. Alex staggered to her feet and adjusted herself.

“You’re hot, and I would so be happy with what you just said… But I can’t risk this opportunity I have. Sorry Niall, but I think I should get back downstairs.” Alex shot him a regretful frown before practically running back into the room and into the hallway. Before reaching the stairs, Alex hit someone’s chest and almost went flying before two arms snaked around her and stopped her from toppling over.

“Woah, steady on, love.” The Australian accent was back and Alex didn’t need to look up to know who was currently holding her in their arms.

“Sorry,” She mumbled, looking up at Luke and seeing the worry in them. Alex stood up straight and away from Luke’s arm; the last thing she wanted was to get heavy with another one of these guys.

“Are you okay?” He asked, but Alex was looking anywhere but him. “Are you drunk?” his tone was serious, but when Alex looked up sharply, she noticed the humorous grin that was itching to break across his face.

“And what if I was?” Her voice was steady and smooth.

“Hey no judgement here, it’s just your eyes are bloodshot and you are swaying back and forth.” Luke’s smile was growing bigger. Alex instantly relaxed and smiled back.

“Do me a favour Luke, please?” She asked sweetly but in a tone that told him she was desperate. Luke nodded his head. “Help me downstairs to get a glass of water?” Luke didn’t answer; he just placed a steady arm around her waist and walked her down the stairs, keeping her close to his side.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I wanted you to get a look at what Niall will be like in this story. I wanted his character to be introduced here because I have a lot planned with him, Luke and Alex. This chapter also shows a lot about Alex and how easily swayed she is by a pretty face.

But doesn't he have a little dirty mouth? Tut tut Niall, but I'm sure you all love it!

Let us know what you think.
Bex
xox