Guilty Shadows

The Meeting

The town of Abraham was small, secluded by towering trees in the middle of nowhere. People walked the streets early in the morning, some rushing to work, others shopping for a few groceries in the town square before it got dark. Abraham was old fashioned, with cottages, wells holding fresh water, basically anything that had to do with technology, was nonexistent here. People called Abraham the land of the dead, because of the dark creatures that lurked around at night. People would vanish suddenly, found the next day hung up on a streetlight, or in a garbage bin with their limbs twisted in odd positions. Some even had all their blood drained from their body. A few people of Abraham believed the creatures of the dark were vampires, considering some victims ended up without an ounce of blood in their veins. Most people on the other hand didn't believe much in these dark mysterious creatures, instead they were positive some sadistic psychopath was on the loose murdering innocent people.
~

I wasn't sure what to believe when my parents where found murdered. I was only a child at the time, not even in my teens when I found my beloved mother staring back at me with dark holes as eyes. My father was still alive at the time, barely breathing with a large bloody gash in his stomach. The horrors still haunt me, and every time I find myself closing my eyes, I see me father's grasp on my arm loosening, until he finally collapsed in a pile of crimson blood, dead. I was torn from my nightmare by a small cheap clock on the corner of my dresser, which I bought at a garage sale for only two bucks. Quite the bargain if I do say so myself. I wiped the sweat on my forehead off with the back of my hand, chest heaving up and down as I caught my breath. Today was the day my parents died, March 13, one day before my birthday. Every year I wake up early and visit their grave before heading off to school, woken up by that haunting dream every morning. I stood up, quickly changing into clothing that seemed appropriate for going to visit a graveyard. I decided on a black dress shirt that was a tad too big on me, and dark denim jeans. Sliding into a pair of worn out sneakers, I zipped down the staircase. "I'm heading out," I hollered over my shoulder as I grabbed my backpack that was set on the table, then running into the kitchen and opening up the fridge. My grandmother always packed my me my lunch, even though I constantly told her it wasn't necessary.
"Be safe!" Hollered the voice of a raspy yet sincere old lady, my grandmother. "I will!" I replied simply as I slid out the the front door, leaving it unlocked as I assumed my grandmother would lock it behind me. The air was crisp, the wind forcing me to bundle my hands into the pocket of my jeans, "Freezing," I muttered to myself as I walked, scanning the clouds above my head.

I spent a few hours at my parents grave, sitting back against a tree. Surprisingly, I always felt that the graveyard was a rather peaceful place. Nobody to bother me, the running water fountain perched in the center, a few ducks swimming in circles. It would have been like any other day when I visit the grave, except for the fact that there was some strange girl here. She was dressed oddly in all black. She wore a cropped top with a short black skirt, studded leggings that ran up her long slender legs and cut under her knees, and what seemed to be combat boots. People all had different taste of clothing, I'm not to judge. It wasn't until she pulled out a glimmering silver dagger out from her pocket, and oddly, slashed the grave in front of her, that I grew worried. I stayed silent, raising an eyebrow as I watched with curiosity. The only thought I had, was that she was crazy. I decided I should leave, leaving this crazy girl to do whatever she pleased. Although, the minute I stood up, the girl spun on her heels, her crystal blue gaze pierced directly on me. "Boy, you see me, right?" She questioned, her dagger no longer aiming at the grave, but me.
"P-Pardon?" I stuttered, taking a few wobbly steps back. The odd girl's stern gaze lightened, her glossy pink lips curling up into a grin. "You do see me!!! I found you!" She yelled, before tackling me onto the ground.
As I hit the ground I could feel the air being knocked out of me, "W-What are you doing? Get off me!" I shouted, squirming helplessly under the girl who now sat atop my chest. The girl stayed silent for a few seconds, before bursting into endless laughter. I tilted my head, utterly confused. 'She really is crazy!' Was the only thought that ran through my mind as I tried to free myself from the girls grasp. There was no point in trying to break free, this small girl was surprisingly strong. "Help me," she finally spoke, leaning forward as she rested her elbow on my chest, her pale rosy cheek rested on her palm. "Help me, won't you?"
"Help you?... With what?" I questioned, looking for the right opportunity to push this freak off, and run the hell away.
"Kill," the girl put simply as she slid her dagger out, and the closer he looked at it, he realized it was almost see-through. No, it wasn't just the dagger, it was the girl! At this point. I was even more freaked now then ever before. Trying to wiggle myself free, I kicked my legs around until I finally lost all the energy I had. "What the hell are you?!! A... Demon?" I spoke the word demon with hesitation, as if just saying the word would send me into a dark abyss.
"How dare you call me something like that," hollered the girl as she swung her legs out, using my chest to help her stand back up. The minute she lifted herself off me, was the minute I moved away from the girl. I rolled to the side, much like one would do in one of those action ninja movies. "God, please help this creature of the dark, please allow all of her impurities to-" before I could finish the girl threw her dagger, straight to my chest. I knew it was stupid, but I remember reading somewhere that if you use gods name, it will rid the demon of it's tragic existence. I should have known it was useless. As the dagger pierced my chest, I gasped, a chill stabbing it's way into my very soul. That may sound weird, but that is what it felt like. That's the only way I could describe it. I gasped as I fell to the floor, more shocked than hurt. "You... You actually stabbed me..." I stuttered, eyes glued to my shirt, that surprisingly remained intact. Not a single rip, no blood stain. It was as if the dagger went straight through me, no, there wasn't even a wound. The girl stood with her arms crossed over her chest, "I had to shut you up somehow."
"What a nice way of doing so..." I spoke as I sat up, still unable to warp my head around what was happening. "You aren't a demon then, are you? If you were, then you would have killed me."
The girl simply rolled her eyes, "Didn't I say I wasn't?" She replied irritably, loosing her patience. "Any who, you'll help me, right?"
"With?"
"I told you already! Kill! Kill someone, avenge me!" She snapped.
"Wait... Avenge? Does that mean your dead?"
"Bingo," she smirked, rubbing her hands together. "I may be dead, but I can still touch things if I concentrate. See?" She said as she touched her hand to my cheek, causing me to instinctively flinch backwards. Her touch was cold, sending an icy chill throughout my whole body. "This can't be real..." I mumbled in disbelief.
"Oh, but it is," she giggled, leaning forward on her tiptoes, "Please... I want revenge, I can't move on if that bastard doesn't die. You want revenge yourself, I know you do. I feel your anger, that pain you've been through," she whispered in my ear, my face going pale. "What...?" How did she know that I wanted revenge? Countless nights after my parents death, I sworn I'll kill the murderer. I would make the guy suffer like I had, watch him bleed like my father did. How did she know that though? I hadn't told anyone.
"When I touched your cheek, I knew about your parents being murdered. Ever since I was a child, I was born with a gift, a gift of being able to see the true feelings of someone. You may put on a happy face, but I can see the anger inside you. The hollow pits of darkness, just waiting to burst."
My eyes grew wide, "If I promise to help you, what will you give me in return?" I couldn't believe myself, I was actually considering killing someone!
"I'll help you find the person who killed your parents. Revenge for revenge, doesn't that sound good?"
I bit into the inside of my cheek, so hard that I could taste my own blood. I took in a breath, clenching my fists, and nodding my head, "Alright... I accept."
♠ ♠ ♠
Please let me know what you think, and shall I write more?