Guilty Shadows

Confession

It has been almost a week since the last time I'd seen that girl. The minute I agreed to help her, was the second she vanished. I couldn't sleep at all, my thoughts bombarded with the thought of that mysterious girl. Had I gone crazy? Maybe the girl was merely a part of my imagination. Perhaps I'd gone mad, and I didn't even know it. "Maxwell, are you listening?" Questioned a boy, a year older than myself. Unlike me, he was ripped, used to spending time out in the gym a couple days a week.
"Sorry, I wasn't listening, repeat?"
"Geez, dude, you've been out of it all week. What exactly happened? You know you can't hide anything from me."
That was right, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't hide anything from Jake. Jake had been my best friend for 12 years of my life. I couldn't lie to him. Jake was the one who knew how sad and depressed I was after my parents death, regardless of my cheerful smiles. He saw right through my lies, he was good at that. "You'd think I'm crazy," I put simply.
"Crazy? Crazier than you already are, doubt that. Come on, just tell me. I won't tell anyone."
Could I really tell him about everything? Could I tell him that I've seen some ghost girl, and agreed to help get revenge for her? Could I tell him about how I would have to kill somehow, and how surprisingly, it didn't seem to phase me all too much. Could I trust him. Inhaling I nodded my head, reluctantly explaining to the best of my ability. Once I was finished, he opened his mouth, but nothing came out. He must have thought I was crazy, but probably I am. I'm crazy enough to accept the offer after all. "Well, say something!" I hollered, kicking my foot under the table gently into his knee.
"Damn... Dude, I don't know what to say. Perhaps you should see a doctor..."
"I knew you were going to say that. I'm not crazy, if that's where you're going with this." I sighed, rubbing my hands together. It was awfully chilly in World History today.
"Have you seen them... Ghosts before?" Jake asked cautiously.
"Nope, this was my first time. She seemed like a person, until I realized I could see through her..."
"Christ, dude, this is insane! Are you going to actually go on with it? What if she's tricking you? Maybe she'll kill you and-" I shut him up by slamming my hand over his mouth, he was talking too loud, as usual. I shot him a warning glare, before moving my hand from his lips.
"Sorry," Jake whispered, fumbling with his hands, "Can I meet her?" He asked, the question I knew he was bound to ask. I simply shrugged my shoulders upward, "I don't know, you probably can't see her. Besides, I don't even know where she is. She just vanished."
"Vanished? Poof?" Questioned Jake.
"She's not a fairy, she doesn't poof." I stated. Maybe she was. Who knows. The conversation lasted for another five minutes, up until the point where the bell rang and we were practically yelled by the teacher to get out. Screw you too Ms. Figss. "Can you come over to my house today?" I asked.
"Sure, I think my mom comes home at 12 anyway, I doubt she'll mind. Can I sleep over?" I nodded my head. Jake was practically family by now, he's been to my house countless times, me to his.
"Alright, I'll see ya later then!" Jake grinned, one of his cheesy smiles.

Me and Jake met by the flagpole, my backpack dangled loosely over my shoulder, binder under my arm. "Ready?" I questioned, glancing over my shoulder.
"Mm," was Jake's only response as he bit into a bagel, he must have saved it for later. Jake was a big guy, who ate a lot, even if his body didn't look like he did. We walked down the sidewalk, switching from topic to topic, occasionally laughing. Right when I was about to speak, I felt myself slam into something. I gasped, stumbling backwards, and thankfully, Jake caught my by wrist and steadied me before I could plummet onto the concrete floor.
"Jeez, what the hell happened? It's like you bumped into nothing!"
Blinking, I stood stunned. She was back. The girl was back, with a rather impatient scowl. "You! You're back!" I yelled, earning a confused glance from Jake. "It's her," I whispered in his ear, his 'he's crazy' look fading.
The girl frowned, "I've always been here. You noticed me earlier, you spoke up." I frowned, raising an eyebrow. It was then that it hit me, the cold. In class is what cold, abnormally cold. It was her! "You even told your little friend about me. Idiot," she huffed, and for a moment I thought she was going to smack me. Instead, she simply slid her hand into her pocket, "I'm losing energy, I need to rest. I was with you the whole time, you just couldn't see me," she said quietly, sweat beaded on her forehead. Could ghosts even sweat? The thought made me laugh out loud, which probably made me look even crazier. "This address. Go there, that should be where the killer is," the girl spoke, placing her cold fingertips to my forehead. I tensed, the cold sensation gripping my brain, causing me to yelp out in shock. An image, an address, seemed to suddenly be engraved into my memory. It hurt, or more of pounded like some headache that didn't want to go away. Before I could say anything, she vanished. Jake stood watching me, his mouth draped open. "You okay..." He asked finally, gripping my shoulder. "We can get you help, y'know?"
"Stop that!" I spat, whacking his hand away, then regretting I yelled. My head hurt, and Jake could tell. "She did something... I don't know what, but when she touched me, my head started to hurt, and now I have an address." I could see a question mark unfold on his forehead, "So it was like she inscribed words into your mind?"
"Yep," I said, shutting my eyes, the address only becoming clearer. "Do you know where this is?" I asked as I tore a sheet of paper from my binder, writing down the address as if I've wrote it my whole life. It felt faintly familiar, but I didn't know why at the time. "Are you kidding me?" Jake asked, his face paling. "That's my house."