Status: In the Works

Waiting for a Hero

Part Trois

Emmy cut into her crepes and looked at Addison who was stuffing her mouth full of pancakes. Emmy gave her a look and she slowed down, eating smaller bites with a sheepish smile.

"I’m a waitress," she said, "Sometimes I bartend. The little bar and diner at Fifth and James?" she asked taking a bite of her cream cheese and blueberry crepes, she quickly reached up to her chin as blueberry juice dripped down her chin and she smiled a bit as she wiped it clean with her napkin. Chris’s eyes bugged a bit as he said,

"No way," she looked at him a bit worriedly before he broke into a grin, "I love that place! I go there all the time, I never saw you. I’d remember a pretty woman like you," he said nodding surely and Emmy smiled sheepishly, her cheek warming at the compliment.

"You should see mom when she dresses up, this is just her "I’m-up-don’t-ask-for-anything-yet" look," Addison told him and Emmy rolled her eyes as Chris chuckled.

"Well it’s better than my just woke up look," he said looking at Emmy who smiled at him gratefully.

"Well if you ever want to come by for lunch I’m usually working day shift, while Addi’s at school," she said and Chris cut into his country steak and nodded definitely.

"I’d like that, are you two free this weekend?" he asked looking between Emmy and Addison.

"Addi has a debate this weekend," Emmy said smiling at Addison who looked at Chris.

"You can come if you want, mom and I can get you," she offered hopefully and Chris glanced at Emmy and then looked at Addison. He really did want to go but he didn’t want to take away the attention from the kids.

"Addi, I’m sure Chris has business," Emmy said gently and Addison nodded her head. Chris wrapped an arm around her and pulled her to his side sweetly hugging her.

"Maybe after your debate you can come over for that cookout?" he asked looking at Emmy and that perked Addison up as she lifted her brows and looked at her mother. Emmy paused mid-bite and looked at the two people looking at her expectantly; Addison looking so pitifully hopeful and Chris grinning like an idiot as he waggled his eyebrows suggestively. She put her fork down and thought a moment.

"The debate should be over around four," she said, "Saturday." Chris nodded.

"I’ll pick you two up if you want or you can follow me back from wherever you’ll be," he said taking his arm back to eat. Emmy looked at Addison who was grinning brightly.

"We walk to the school because it’s only two blocks away from our house," she said and Chris took a bite of some potatoes.

"I’ll pick you two up," he concluded and Emmy looked between the two of them.

"Do I get a say in this?" she asked amused and without missing a beat, Chris and Addison looked at her with grins and said,

"No."

Breakfast was amazing after that. Chris really enjoyed listening to Addison talk about her school and how excited she was for the first big debate of the year. She wanted to go to state this year and was hoping she could make it, using the first debate to show her team she was good enough to go all the way. Emmy would laugh and add little comments about how good Addison was at certain classes and talk about how the two would often go to the Rec Center for swimming laps. And Emmy was just so pretty and sweet, Chris could barely keep his eyes off her. She was so cool and relaxed around him, treating him like just another person instead of being overly flirtatious or complimenting. They barely talked about his films and they talked about his new apartment and how the weather was in Boston since he had just gotten back from visiting family. Emmy said she always wanted to see Boston and Addison chimed in with how much she wanted to see snow.

After breakfast the bill came and Chris and Emmy argued over who would pay what making Addison giggled and take the bill from them.

"Fifty-Fifty," she said holding the check tight to her chest. "Then you both pay and can stop arguing," she looked at Chris, "She hates not paying just because she’s a girl. You’re lucky she didn’t sneak over and pay for everyone already."

"Why didn’t I think of that!?" she laughed and Chris chuckled.

"Fifty-Fifty," he agreed and the both left a tip and went to the cashier. Addison hugged Chris tight and thanked him for joining them and he hugged her back as Emmy programmed her number in his phone. She never asked for his which he thought was nice. She was leaving it up to him and she was just so nonchalant about the whole experience.

The three said their goodbyes and Chris went to his car, reaching in his pocket to pull out his keys but he stopped when he felt money in his pocket. He pulled it out and looked it over curiously and then he smiled.

Fourteen dollars.