Status: In the Works

Waiting for a Hero

Part Cinq

Chris smiled as Addison opened the door and squealed happily. He laughed as she wrapped her arms around his middle and cheered,

"Chris is here!" Emmy leaned backwards and peeked out from where he assumed the kitchen was and he held a hand up in greeting as she smiled that brilliant smile.

"Come on in," Emmy said waving him in and Chris waddled inside, stilling having Addison attached to his middle. When she let him go, she cupped a hand around her mouth and whispered so Emmy couldn’t hear,

"I’m not really sick so you don’t have to worry." He winked at her and she skipped into the joining living area to jump up on the couch and continue watching whatever movie was on at the moment. Chris kicked his shoes off as he shut the door behind him. He looked around the small apartment and smiled. It was quaint and colorful, lively and lived-in. He couldn’t imagine Emmy and Addison living any other way really.

The walls were a warm and bright turquoise and the couch a rich orange with white furniture. He didn’t think the colors would look so good together but there they were, flowing beautifully together. It was a bit small but everything seemed to fit together nicely and it felt homey, more so than his flat nearer the city’s center.

"Hungry?" Emmy asked as she slid past him to hand Addison a plate of spaghetti. "Don’t spill it," she warned and Addison shifted to sit flat on her bottom and take the tray Emmy offered her. Emmy then turned to him and he caught himself staring. She was in short gym shorts and a loose fitted SpiderMan tank top with her hair falling in unbrushed waves around her face. She was natural and relaxed, beautiful really. She canted her head and rose her eyebrows curiously. He gave a shake of his head and smiled as he rubbed the back of his neck and nodded.

"Yeah uh yeah dinner sounds great," he said shyly as his face flushed. She smiled and went back to the kitchen as she told him to make himself at home. Chris darted in front of Addison and she patted the cushion beside her, scooting closer to the arm of the couch so he could sit. He smiled at her and sat down, looking at the television. A black and white movie played and Addison pulled her hair back out of her face as she said,

"Nosferatu. It’s mom’s favorite." Chris nodded with a soft ‘ah’ and shifted to sit back against the back of the couch.

"I thought you guys said we were watching bad horror movies?" he asked loud enough for Emmy to hear. Addison rolled her eyes as she matter-of-fact replied,

"We were waiting for you." Chris nodded as he said,

"Oh, sorry." Emmy handed him a large plate of spaghetti and set the parmesean cheese on the white round coffee table in front of them. Chris inhaled the smell of spaghetti and sighed as he stomach rumbled. He really was hungry. Addison already had sauce all over her face and Emmy sat down on the other side of Chris. He noticed her long legs and swallowed hard before focusing on the movie in front of him.

"Need napkins?" she asked pulled the napkins from the band of her gym shorts. Addison wiggled a hand and Emmy passed her some, placing the rest on the coffee table next to the cheese. She pulled her knees up, careful not to kick Chris, and tousled her brown hair as she watched the silent movie.

"Come to me you precious little sweet tart," she said in a creepy Translvanian accent.

"Oh no, no please not me, I’m not sweet or tart," Addison said in a SOuthern belle accent as the woman of the movie appeared in distress. Emmy added a spooky and dramatic evil laugh when it panned back to Nosferatu and Chris looked between the two women in confusion.

"Wait, what is happening?" he laughed uncertainly and Emmy smiled widely at him as Addison giggled.

"We like to talk for the characters. Mom’s Nosferatu and I’m the damsel," she explained and Chris nodded. What a neat way to pass the time.

Addison and Emmy went back to talking for characters while Chris scarfed down his spaghetti, trying hard not to snort or choke as Addison and Emmy got progressively more dramatic.

"Ack! Alas! My von true veakness!" she hissed throwing her arms up like Nosferatu was doing in the movie as the sun rose.

"Hi Nose, it is I your friend the sun! I have come to hug you! C’mere you!" Addison said in a childish voice.

"Nay! You beast! Withstand your need to embrace me! NEIN!" she cried out elongating her last word as Nosferatu faded away in the sunlight. Chris laughed as Addison whined,

"Oh nein, where’d you go?" And with that the credits began to roll.

Chris looked at Emmy and Addison as he sat back after putting his plate on the coffee table.

"That was, by far, the coolest movie I’ve had the pleasure of viewing," he complimented and Addison smiled as Emmy fluffed her hair and batted her long lashes.

"Why thank you darling we’ll be here all week," she replied leaning forward and taking his plate and then Addison’s to bring into the kitchen. "Addison it’s your turn for dishes," she reminded and Addison groaned loudly.

"But moooom," she whined and Emmy clicked her tongue loudly from the kitchen.

"But Addiiiiii," she mimicked as she came back in. "You just have to load the dish washer, it’s not like I’m making you scrub pots and pans."

"Child labor!" she cried and Chris chuckled as Emmy scoffed.

"I’m not paying you at all, it’s slavery now go load it up or I’ll get the whip." Addison squeaked and hurried into the kitchen.