Status: In the Works

Waiting for a Hero

Part Sept

Chris was in the shower when he heard his phone ringing. He had been expecting a call from Emmy so he hurried out of the shower to grab his cell and check to see who it was. It was Emmy. He couldn’t stop the grin on his face as he answered her call with a cheerful,

"Hello?"

"Hey, Chris? It’s Emmy," her voice was sweet and light and it made his heart flutter as he remembered her kissing his cheek the night before.

"Hey Emmy, yeah it’s me, what’s up?" he asked turning away from the shower to hear her better. He shivered a bit at the cold as the cool air hit his bare and wet skin.

"We were wondering if you were still up for that cookout at your place today? We’re heading to the debate now and we can pick up some chips and soda and stuff afterward if you still wanted that cookout," she rambled a bit and he thought it was cute so he smiled to himself and quickly replied,

"Yeah! Yeah the cookout’s still on, I got my little grill top and everything. I have a pool too if you two wanna bring swimsuits." He laughed softly when he heard Addison in the background,

"A pool!?" Emmy gently shushed her and told her to get her swimsuit before Emmy spoke to him,

"That sounds amazing. It’s supposed to be really hot so a swim would be awesome." There was a pause, "Are you in the shower?"

"What? No I was just uh well it’s just the um yeah, yeah I was."

"Oh my god I’m sorry, you didn’t have to answer!" she laughed and Chris chuckled with a blush as he confessed,

"I didn’t want to miss your call."

"Mom we gotta go, we’re gunna be late," Addison’s voice called from somewhere in Emmy’s apartment.

"Alright I’m coming," she called back and Chris stepped backward towards his shower. "Where do you live and I’ll text you when we’re on our way."

Chris gave her his address and teased her about selling it or giving it away and she just laughed and swore she’d never do that to him. He couldn’t believe he was giving away his address to a woman he barely knew. To a woman with a kid. But- it felt right.

Emmy and Chris said their goodbyes and Chris hurried up with his shower, scrubbing himself clean and making sure he smelled fresh and clean before getting dressed in his swim trunks and a blue fitted tank top.

~*~*~*~

Emmy drove as Addison pouted in the seat beside her. The debate hadn’t gone too well but Addison had done very well in her personal debates but overall her team lost and Addison was feeling down about it. Emmy glanced at her as she drove and offered a smile.

"You’re going to see Chris again," she offered as she looked back at the road and came to a red light. "And he has a pool, we’ll be having a cookout and swimming. It’ll be fun, you’ll forget all about your debate today."

"We could have won," Addison argued, "I should’ve done better," she muttered and Emmy gently turned her head to look at her.

"Don’t you blame this whole thing on you, Addison. You did fantastic, even your debate teacher said you did very well for your first debate. It’s the first debate of the season, you can’t expect to be a master of it right out of the cage," she said sternly. "You were amazing," she added kissing Addison’s head making the red head girl giggle and smile a bit.

"Thanks," she said and Emmy smiled and continued driving. "Do you think you and Chris will go out on a date?" she asked excitedly and Emmy’s eyes widened.

"What? We just met!"

"But he came over for movies! And now we’re going to his house, he’s gunna swim with us. Why wouldn’t you date him?"

"Addi, it doesn’t work that way. We just met, we don’t know that much about each other yet. I’m not going to rush into anything, besides, Chris is famous. He has models and actresses and singers all vying for his attention. We’re friends and I’m really happy with that," Emmy said slowly. She didn’t keep much from Addison and spoke to her like the thirteen year-old was an adult. Emmy and Chris were just friends and she was okay with that. She didn’t want Addison getting her hopes up that Emmy and Chris would become an item and a family when the likelihood of that was very slim.

Emmy pulled up to the house and her and Addison parked in the driveway and just stared at the beautiful bungalow. It wasn’t huge but a lot bigger than their apartment and very beachy. It was beautiful.

"Whoa," they breathed in unison before smiling brightly at each other.

"Race ya to the door!" Addison cried grabbing the small beach bag they had the snacks and suits in and jumping out of the car. Emmy hurried out as well and didn’t even bother to lock her car as she chased Addison up the drive to the front door.

Addison laughed and skidded to a stop, panting slightly from her sprint up the drive as Emmy joined her. Addison cleared her throat and adjusted her sundress before reaching up and knocking. There was a pause and the two women just looked around the well manicured lawn and the small flowers in the garden. Addison giggled at the idea of Chris with a sunhat in the dirt planting pretty little flowers. Emmy lightly elbowed her as the door opened and Chris grinned.

"Ladies," he greeted and they grinned back.

"Chris," they said in unison.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait guys here's part seven!