The Last Days

Prologue and Chapter 1

The last Days
Prologue
They say that before you die you life flashes before your eyes, fleeting images and memories of days gone by. I felt none of that, my heart slowed with terror and all I felt was cold. I knew what was about to happen, how could I not after all I'd been through. Then I calmed, an odd sense of tranquility washed over me as I reflected on my journey, on my trails and tribulations and of my friends, my loyal allies through this dying world.
Sebastian, with his cold exterior, slow to warm but with a fierce loyalty that was unshakable in the face of adversity...he was with me right till the end. Sammy, the rough and tough tomboy who wouldn't take stick from anyone, even at the end of the world she found ways to prove that she could outshine anyone's expectations. Bailey, perhaps the most resourceful guy I've ever met, I owed him a lot and it looked like I'd never have the time to pay him back. And Kyra, how could I leave out Kyra...what started out as two people at odds became something great and I'm glad she was with me even till the end.
I sighed, taking deep breaths as I turned my eyes skyward, then to my companions at my side, a smile on my lips as I looked over our motley group for the last time. And then the world around us was consumed by flame.

Chapter 1: School's out
I stared dead ahead at the clock in front of the room, an expression of boredom which I'd mastered through the many years of school sat plainly on my face as I countered down the minutes. Five to go. It was my last day of school and before lay a sea of endless possibilities. Would I try to go straight for a job, my grades were decent so it was possible or maybe I should go to college, university or just take it slow and take a year out to be lazy and just enjoy myself. I didn't know and like most my age I hadn't put much thought in to it, a decision I was silently cursing in my head as the time ticked down.
After what seemed like an eternity of deep, brooding thoughts the bell finally rang and after a shockingly tear filled farewell from our head of year we were let go, out in to the open world. "Ugh finally!" Someone declared loudly next to me causing me to turn to find my shadow for the last 6 years stood next to me. I was tall, but Sebastian the boy beside me and my closest friend for the past few years was taller still with the physique of a hardened rugby player that gave him to look of a popular sports player, which he most certainly was not! He sported a mop of unruly blond hair that hung to his shoulder in contrast to my darker brown hair and his eyes were a deep, calming blue yet again in contrast to my own eyes which were a bold green.
I looked him over, noting the look of excitement that was being sported by every student at the time, after all our time was up and school was over. "Yeah I know what you mean! I thought they were going to drone on forever, I mean as teachers go they aren't a bad bunch but god, I just wished they'd shut up and let us go early." He laughed in response and pointed a thumb over his shoulder towards the door. "I think Bailey and Sammy have something big planned, they skipped out of their class before lunch and I didn't see them in the assembly." I quirked an eyebrow at this, curious why I hadn't noticed myself though come to think of it I'd hardly been paying attention in there. "Hmm well those two are always up to something, we'd best go find them."
After scouring the school and firing off several quick texts to the mischievous duo we found...or rather were lead to the school admin room a place usually bustling with secretaries and administrators but for the moment unusually devoid of life save for the two people slaving over a computer in the back corner. "What the heck are you guys up to?" I shot the question across the open room which immediately earn me twin glares from the duo. "Not so loud, the staff could be back at any time." Sammy folded her arms and shot be a cold look as she scolded me, but Bailey her partner in crime only spared the briefest of glances to flash a wicked grin before turning back to the keyboard. "We're doing some...extra curricular activities." He dropped us a playful wink after giving the keyboard a few final taps. "There, all done." He grinned widely while reaching out to turn the monitor towards us so that me and Sebastian could scoot around the side of the desk and take a look at his handwork which to your average person looked like gibberish. Sebastian tilted his head, peering at the monitor as if a different angle might make it's meaning clear. "And what is this exactly?" I nodded in agreement with his question before peering at Bailey, then Sammy and back again.
Sammy was of average height, for a girl anyway. She had short, messy brown hair and hazel eyes. She had fair features and one would almost call her cute, save for the fact she'd probably beat you to the floor if you had the misfortune to do so. She was a rough, tough tomboy through and through who reveled in playing tricks on people. Bailey, her partner in crime was a slight boy, with delicate almost feminine features that often fooled people in to thinking the pair were such good friend because they were both girls. His hair was short, black and was streaked through with blue and pink dyes which did nothing to stop people thinking he was feminine.

Sammy sucked in a breath, giving us fair warning that she was about to launch in to one of her trademark, impassioned speeches. "Well you see what we've done here is write up a code so that when the new school year comes around and they turn on the computers all that will play is a video we put together, you remember the one that we worked on in our spare time for media studies? Well that's the one we used, well mostly we had to edit it a lot but it basically has all the staff in it still. The code itself won't harm anything and it should be easy enough for them to remove without them finding out it was us...though they'll have their suspicions as always. No fuss no muss." She flashed me a charming grin at the end of her explanation which had left me with my mouth open wide at the sheer audacity of it all. "So essentially you've broken the law?"
Bailey waved his hand in a dismissive motion as he pushed away from the desk and stood up. "It's only breaking the law if they catch us...that being said we should probably get going, the staff are in an end of year meeting and I doubt they'll take long to get back here." He waved a hand over his shoulder causing the rest of us to follow behind him as he lead the way out of the back door and across the school grounds. "So..." I searched my head for what to say to my friends, I'd always heard that once school was over you lost touch with those closest to you and I wanted desperately for that to not happen, I wanted to come up with a brilliant plan that would see us spending the next years working together and going on to a lifelong partnership like maybe having our own business.....but I had nothing. "Any ideas for the summer?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Interesting Trivia, I actually got torn apart by a zombie while writing this. No really, I was playing state of decay and writing when a new idea came to me and I forgot to pause and came back to find my character being torn to bits!