I Don't Care If You're Contagious

chapter 2

“Let me check you for scratches.” I said as I began pulling up my brother’s shirt to expose his toned stomach. Michael obeyed, finishing the rest for me by taking off his shirt completely. I scanned over his chest down to his stomach, lifting his arms to inspect his sides. I spun him around to check his back, finding no signs on any nail marks. I grabbed his left arm and looked closely, examining every inch until my eyes stopped upon a small red mark.
“When did you get that? Yesterday?” I asked.
“No” he shook his head, “That thorn, remember?” he looked at me, “When I was walking past those bushes.”
“Okay.” I said with a small sigh and dropped his arm. We should always be cautious about scratches or any kind of open wound. You don’t get infected from contact but it is possible to catch the virus if you have any kind of exposed cut on your body. It used to not be this bad but over time the virus has gotten worse so everyone must take every little precaution seriously. As long as you keep some kind of antiseptic on hand you should survive. Unless you are directly bitten, then you only have so many hours before you turn. The longest it took for someone to turn on record was approximately 37 hours, 17 minutes, and 28 seconds. She was bitten in the leg, leading some people do believe it just took the virus longer to get to her head. People are still studying what happens to us when we’re infected. Whether we still feel emotions, pain, or remember faces. No one really knows yet and maybe we never will. Personally, I think that when a human turns we forget everything. Our family, friends, memories, names, whole lives never existed. The only thing we know is to hunt and kill. When someone turns, it’s no longer the person you knew; just a rabid, flesh eating monster.
“I’m going to get cleaned up.” said Mike as he picked up his shirt.
“Okay.” I said, “I’m going to go find Oliver.” I turned to leave the room.
“I’ll find you later.” I heard Mike say as I opened the door.
“Okay.” I repeated myself before shutting the door behind me. I left the house with my feet heavily tapping against the wood floor until I was out on the porch. The sunlight felt a little more inviting today, but it will never feel as warm as it used to. I looked to my left and then to my right, noticing women talking to each other on their porches and men sharing laughter to one another. Sometimes this place almost felt normal but I knew really that this place was more like a prison. People seemed happy, but once you come in, no one really leaves. This is just human’s attempt at a new government. Sadly, it’s worse than before. I trotted the couple of steps it took to get off the porch and onto the grass. I looked around for any sign of the shaggy haired boy, only to find none. As I walked, I watched a dog run around as he barked. It was a small thing, very furry. It was white for the most part, with a few brown spots here and there. Some of its fur looked a little matted but who has time to groom these days? It looked skinny and a tiny bit malnourished, yet it looked like it couldn’t be any happier. Suddenly I supposed I had caught the small dog’s attention, as it began jogging towards me with his thin legs. It’s big ears flopped as he galloped, his tongue hanging out of his grinning mouth. I knelt down to the small creature as it stood in front of me, putting my hand on it’s soft little head.
“Hey.” I spoke to the dog as it stared at me with it’s little round dark chocolate colored eyes.
“I see you’ve found Sebastian.” Said a familiar voice and I looked up to see Alex standing above me with a friendly smile.
“Sebastian?” I looked back down to the dog and stood up.
“Yeah.” said Alex as he picked up the small dog that panted loudly, “I thought it suited him.”
“Where’d you find him?” I asked.
“I saw him snooping through my backyard, probably looking for food” he said, “but instead of shooing him off I thought I’d clean him up and bring him in.”
“He’s a cute one.” I had to admit.
“Jack thinks so too.” Alex smiled, “So where are you headed?” he asked as he sat the dog back down on the ground, all four of it’s paws meeting the grass.
“I was looking for Oli.” I said, “Seen him anywhere?” I asked.
“I think I saw him over near the market streets.” he pointed as he squint his eyes to the sunlight.
“Thanks.” I said with a small nod before turning on my heel to walk in the direction he pointed. Walking through this place at first, it may seem normal, but this place can actually be really shady. People may seem friendly but you shouldn’t let your guard down and invite just anybody into your home. That’s why I only speak to those in my group. The only time brother and I speak to anyone else is if we’re trying to make a bargain or business of any kind. You don’t have to be cautious of the old folks though. They just sit in their rocking chairs all day and talk to their cats. But I especially don’t trust people from other states. I hear some states are worse. Then again, I hear some are better. Not like I’d find out anyways; it’s not my duty to travel into other territories.
“Get outta’ ‘ere you bastard!” I heard someone say in a thick British accent as I turned the corner. Unexpectedly, a man went running past me, causing me to stumble back on my feet.
“Don’t come back either!” came Oli, throwing a large rock in the direction of the scurrying man.
“Need I ask?” I raised a brow at the heavy breathing Oli, obviously red with anger.
“Threatened me with a knife” he said, “He wanted his cash back but I told him all sales were final.” he pushed the hair out of his face and I just laughed. Oliver was always a tough guy and a bit of a con man. He’s been in many scraps before, hence the scars on his body. He used to get a busted lip almost once a week.
“You could actually be killed one of these days.” I joked.
“That’ll be the day.” he dismissed as he pulled a cigarette out of his pocket.
“I almost forgot” he began as he began pulling the backpack he had rested on his shoulder and handed it to me, “I’m pretty sure that belongs to you.”
“Thanks.” I said as I put the sack over my own back.
“I’ve survived this long in a world of man-eating creatures” he said before lighting the cigarette with a match, “I don’t think a poor bloke with a knife can phase me.” smoke came streaming past his pale chapped lips. I just rolled my eyes at his typical Oli behavior.
“You’re cockiness may just be the death of you.” I said.
“Maybe.” he said casually, “We’ll just have to see, won’t we?”
“How much sleep did you get last night?” I asked.
“Sleep is for the weak.” he said flatly.
“Typical.” I just sighed.
“So where’s Mike?” he asked, “I’m not used to seeing you without him clinging to your side.”
“He told me he was going to clean up.” I said, “he’ll be out here to meet me soon.”
“Oh?” he gave me a questionable look as he blew more smoke into the atmosphere.
“Yes.” I said confidently.
“Then what’s he doin’ over there?” Oli asked, his eyes looking straight past me with notable suspicion. I turned to look over my shoulder, my eyes spotting Mike who was talking to a couple of men that I have never seen before. I immediately began to walk towards them, stomping my feet until I reached Mike.
“Micheal.” I said sternly, “What are you doing?” I asked, motioning to the two boys who stood just a couple feet from Mike who now looked slightly confused.
“I was just talking.” he said innocently before I turned to the pair.
“I’ve never seen you two around here before.” I interrogated.
“That’s because we’ve never been here before.” said one of the boys; slightly taller than I with slightly pale skin. His hair was dirty and ruffled and it framed his densely structured face. He stared back at me with small, dark brown eyes. His lips were very thin and pale and didn’t seem any bigger as he spoke.
“This is our first time being here.” said the second boy. I turned to glance at him from head to toe; he was just about the same height as the first boy. Except this one had much darker skin compared to the first. His hair was long and slightly wavy, barely hiding his earlobes that oddly looked like they had been ripped or something. This one had eyes that were big and round but looked notably tired. He also had much thicker looking lips compared to the first boy. The only thing that really stuck out about this one was the distracting diamond in his right cheek bone.
“State your names.” I demanded.
“Tell us your name first.” said the diamond-cheeked boy bravely.
“What he means is-“the spikey haired boy stepped in, “I’m Jaime and he’s Tony.”
“Victor.” I held out my hand to shake, receiving just one from the spikey haired boy who called himself Jaime.
“Where are you from?” I asked.
“Not around here.” said Tony.
“Didn’t realize.” I responded sarcastically.
“Why are you here?” I asked.
“Are we playing 20 questions or something?” asked Tony with a slight sneer.
“Sorry” said Jaime quickly, “He’s not good with first impressions.”
“I see.” I pierced my eyes through the long-haired boy named Tony.
“I hope we didn’t get off on the wrong foot.” Jaime spoke awkwardly.
“You seem weak.” I sputtered out flatly, receiving a blank-confused face from Jaime.
“It was nice meeting you.” I said. “Hopefully I won’t see you again.” I turned on my heel to leave.
“Come on, Mike.” I ordered.
“But, Vic” I could hear the pout in his voice.
“Now.” I said sternly. I didn’t even have to look over my shoulder to know he was following me. He knew not to go against my word.
“What do ya’ make of ‘em?” Oli asked me as he stamped out his cigarette with his foot.
“A couple of ‘blokes’ as you’d like to call them.” I said as Oli and I began walking together.
“You think they’ll be joinin’ a group?” he asked me.
“Probably.” I shrugged slightly, “I don’t see what other use this place has for them.”
“Whose group do ya’ think they’ll join?” he asked as I listened to the sound of our feet stepping against the ground.
“Probably Danny’s group.” I said, “They’re a worthless bunch. They aren’t good for shit.”
“Agreed.” said Oli who shoved his hands in his pockets.
“What were you doing, talking to them?” I looked over my shoulder at Mike.
“They were just asking a few questions” said Mike innocently.
“Like what?” I asked suspiciously.
“They were looking for a man named…” he paused for a second, probably to think, “I forget.” he said.
“I think he said the name was Josh.” he said after a moment.
“That’s the bloke I ran off a minute ago.” said Oli.
“Why do you think they needed to see Josh? Especially if they’re new here?” I asked.
“Beats me.” Oli shrugged.
“You know” Mike spoke up, “I think I can handle myself.”
“What are you talking about?” I asked.
“I’m talking about you constantly controlling what I do.” he said.
“You know I’m just looking out for you.”
“Yeah, well, it’s annoying as hell.” he said, obvious irritation in his voice.
“I’m you’re older brother, Mike.” I stopped walking to turn and look at him, “It’s my job to make sure your ass stays safe around here.”
“I’m 24!” he exclaimed, “I can take care of myself!”
“Really?” I looked at him with narrowed eyes, “You did a really good job looking out for yourself yesterday.” I spat. Mike just gawked at me angrily and huffed, his hands balling into fists. He turned around, stomping off into the other direction.
“You two sure are a quarreling bunch.” Oli said after a moment.

--

I looked up at the sky from where I was sitting in the dirt. Up in a tall tree, just outside the gate, I watched two birds. They flapped their wings at each other as if fighting one another. I wondered if they were fighting over dominance. Then I wondered if maybe one was just trying to swoon the other bird, having no luck. My mind also went to ends to imagine that maybe they came from the same mother bird. Maybe they were hatched in the same nest. Were they sisters? Brothers maybe? I wonder if maybe their parents died too. Then again, they could just be fighting over the same worm or something silly.
“Watcha’ lookin’ at?” I heard the British boy ask me, pulling me out of my thoughts.
“Just a couple of birds.” I said as I continued to watch until they few away.
“Ah, yeah?” he looked up in the same direction as me, “Ever wish you could fly?” he asked suddenly.
“Well, I mean” I shrugged, “-who hasn’t?”
“I don’t know.” he said, “But I’ve always wished I could fly.” he admitted as he admirably stared at the sky. “I wish I could just spread my wings and soar through clouds.”
“The more you talk about it, the more I wish I could too.” I sighed.
“I wouldn’t mind bein’ able to fly away from ‘ere.” he said, “Just fly away from all of this mess.”
“Sounds nice.” I sighed.
“When I die-“ he said suddenly, catching my attention, “I want to reincarnate as a bird.”
“I thought you didn’t believe in that ‘rubbish’.” I said, using the same word he used to describe religion.
“I don’t.” he said, “But if it were to be real, I’d be a bird.”
“Why a bird?” I asked, out of all things.
“Like I said” he leaned back, using his elbows to prop himself up off of the dirt, “I want to fly away from my problems.”
I turned my eyes away from him after a moment to look back up to the sky, taking in the sight of clouds and fresh blue skies.
“But-“ I heard a small chuckle come from the hysteric man next to me, “-you and I both know that’s a load of bull shit.”
“Yeah.” I sighed slightly. Growing up I liked believing there was a god. But now, after all this mess, it’s impossible to believe. Oliver never believed though.
“What’s a load of bullshit?” I heard a voice ask from behind us. I turned over my shoulder to see Kellin and Matty walking together like a pair as always.
“Religion.” Oliver said flatly.
“You know” Kellin began and I sighed, knowing what he would say, “You should stop being so closed minded.” he said, earning a pitied laugh from Oli.
“You should stop believing in an invisible man in the sky. It’s not like he’s going to save us from all of this.” said Oli as he stood up.
“Whatever.” Kellin shrugged, “If you don’t want to repent before you die, that’s fine. But have fun in hell.”
“Ha.” Oli scoffed in his face, “My soul can’t be saved if I sell you my sins.” he spat before walking off. I sighed as I watched him stomp away, leaving me with the two ‘holy’ ones.
“I don’t know why you guys even bother.” I say as I stood up on my feet again.
“Having faith these days is pointless.” I said.
“That may be what you think.” said Matty, “But without him-“ ‘him’ meaning god, “-I wouldn’t have made it this far.” he said. I had to bite my tongue so I wouldn’t laugh in his face. There is no god. God wouldn’t have let this happen. But what’s my word against theirs. I push past them, shoving my hands in the pockets of my jacket. Maybe I can find Mike somewhere.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry if this chapter is kind of lame. i didn't really put a lot of effort into this one. the next chapters should be a little more interesting though. /should/.