Twisted Souls - Awake

Shatter

"Do you see them?"
"What?"
"Can't you hear their wings?"
"What?"
"They're coming..."


These were the last words I heard from my mirror, before it cracked and turned black. The figure faded, taken from my sight. I didn't understand what this meant, until I turned sixteen.
For so many young women, of my time, turning sixteen is a rite of passage, in age. For my kind, a mix between the enchants and mortality, turning sixteen is a time of blending. We take the form of that which we so long to be a part of.

Since I was a child, I'd sat at my window and watched the other children and families pass us by. For nearly sixteen years, I'd longed to be a part of that world. My mother, being an earth child, took to the ents, a walking tree, as many knew them. They were also known as tree herders. My father, being of the half of our kind that can shift at will, typically takes to animalistics.
But, when the glass shattered, on my sixteenth birthday, I became one with a kind I had been fascinated by.

My head grew long bluish green hair, like that of the mid way seas, wavy and silked. My eyes took more of a round shape, less of the diamond holes they'd been before, and took on color aside from the plain white and grey, and became a silvery hazel ribbon wrapped around my pupils and encased in a white eggshell.
My skin did not differ, though. The frail and fare paleness I'd carried from my birth remained, though hard like marble and difficult to even scratch.
Teeth grew into my mouth, strong and ready to tear and shred at new foods. My tongue no longer flared along the sides, but was rather smooth and one large flabby piece.
Markings soon gathered over my skin, though I did not understand what or why. One set looked like the wings of a dragon fly, over my back, on either side of my spine. Another was that of a salamander, wrapped around my left arm with the tail end wrapped around my middle finger.

From that day....I was finally able to walk within the world of man.