Status: Still in progress

The New Ginger Princess

Parents and Playgrounds

Like everything else in life parenting involves a lot of adapting to new situations. Little kids are intended to be social creatures, making friends in an instant over the simplest things. As a result, parents must learn to be social as well and get to know other parents, because children want to spend time with friends outside of school. Any rational and caring parent has enough common sense not to just allow someone they know nothing about to watch their young child for an afternoon.

Austin and Alan are adjusting well to all their recent changes, having a daughter, managing to balance work and parenting, and now the new schedule brought on by Marissa starting school. All of these changes are positive things but the thing that they are most fond of is the fact that Marissa has made friends, two of whom she refers to as her best friends. Knowing that it would be good for Marissa to see her friends outside of school her parents make a point to get to know the parents of their daughter's friends.

Luckily for the couple they are already quite social and will strike up a conversation with basically anyone. The task is proven easy, a simple matter of introducing themselves while they wait for their kid with all of the other parents. Fiona's mother is the first one that they meet, striding over to Alan on that first Monday, catching him off guard because he's zoned out.

Alan brings his attention to the woman standing in front of him and decides to offer her a simple, "Hello."

"Hi, I'm Cristy Merrick. I just thought I would come over and introduce myself, I'm Fiona's mother," the woman says.

"I'm Alan Carlile-Ashby. It's nice to meet you. I am one of Marissa's dads," Alan explains, happy that Cristy doesn't show any negativity towards the part about him and Austin's relationship.

"I saw you two on the first day and I think you guys are adorable. Also, Fiona talks quite a bit about how close she has gotten to Marissa and Patrick," Cristy says.

"Marissa is the same way. It is so nice to see her so social and happy, instead of how shy she was before."

"At some point we should get the kids together so they can play. I can give you my number so we can arrange something at some point," she says as the kids are lining up. "I can give it to you tomorrow, it's only Monday so there is plenty of time."

"My husband will be here tomorrow while I am at work since we shift off on days. You two can get to know each other then and I will see you on Wednesday," Alan says as he finds Marissa in line, letting her say goodbye to her friends before they go home.

⭐️⭐️⭐️

On Tuesday Austin takes the time to meet Cristy as well, actually getting to know a bit about her and her family. She tells him that she and her husband have two kids, an eight year old boy named Zack and his little sister Fiona. The two of them exchange numbers before they go and Cristy promises to introduce the two of them to Patrick's parents next time.

Cristy keeps her promise and on Wednesday she introduces Alan to Patrick's mother. "Alan this is Rachel Stump. Rachel this is Alan Carlile-Ashby. I thought we should all be acquainted since our children are so close."

"It's nice to meet you Rachel," Alan says.

"It's nice to meet you too Alan," Rachel replies.

The two women stand there in contrast to each other. Cristy is an average height with a confidence that flows from every one of her pores. She has dark brown hair that cascades in gentle waves and is set in a perfect high ponytail. Rachel is a petite woman with an atmosphere of meekness about her. Her hair is a dirty blonde with honey blonde hi-lights that falls just below her shoulders with bangs cut across her forehead. 

The two seem to balance each other out, Cristy's confidence providing an energy for both of them while Rachel creates a peaceful atmosphere. Alan can't help but warm up to both of them and finds himself making plans for them to get together that weekend so their kids can play and all of the parents can talk more. 

The rest of the week passes in this same manner and on Saturday Austin, Alan, and Marissa head to the park down the street. This is where the parents agreed to get together since it is close enough to all three homes and gives the kids space to run around. They get to the park and Marissa immediately runs over to the swing set where her two best friends are already swinging. 

Austin and Alan make their way over to the other parents who are sat at the picnic tables, a good spot to keep an eye on the kids while hanging out with the other adults. This is the first time meeting the other dads, having only spoken to the mothers while picking up their kids at a time when the dads are still at work. 

Nathaniel Stump is not a tall man, maybe even just short of average height, though tall enough to where you don't look at him and think of him as being short. It helps that his wife is quite a petite woman, so he looks taller in comparison, and he has a confident posture that, even when he is relaxed, lets you know that he is not one to be overlooked or underestimated. He has neatly cut medium brown hair that adds to the professional quality about him.

Benjamin Merrick is a tall man, only about an inch shorter than Austin, with toned muscles and a body that clearly shows he works out. Simply standing there he is intimidating, but when he starts to smile or laugh you can see that he is nothing to be feared. He has light brown curls that seem almost amusing in comparison to his intimidating appearance, but work well with his big grin and lighthearted personality. 

The six of the adults are talking to each other, not really paying attention to their surroundings except to look over at the children to check that they are alright. The conversation is broken, however, when a soccer ball is suddenly flying towards them. Luckily Benjamin catches it before it hits anyone and simply rolls his eyes as he tucks the ball under his arm.

"I'm sorry about that," Benjamin tells the group.

Confused, Alan asks Benjamin, "Why are you apologizing? You didn't launch the soccer ball at us."

Benjamin simply says, "You'll see in a second."

It is just then that a little boy, about eight years old, comes running over to the group of adults looking embarrassed and guilty. "I am so sorry. I hope none of you got hurt," the boy says frantically.

"You should just be glad that your father caught it in time," Cristy lightly scolds the boy. She then turns to the rest of the group and explains, "This is our son Zack."

The boy looks like a miniature version of his father, or more accurately, a much younger version, seeing as he doesn't yet have the toned muscles that his father does. Zack looks to his dad with a pleading look, holds his hands out, and asks, "Can I have the ball back please?"

Benjamin hands his child the soccer ball but before he lets Zack run off he says, "You should be more careful with whatever it is you're doing."

"I was showing Rian how far I can kick, which is really far by the way," Zack explains and runs off with the soccer ball.

"He had his friend stay over last night so we figured he could come along to the park and his parents could just pick him up later today sometime," Cristy says.

The parents continue to chat, without anymore flying soccer balls, and when they look over at the playground they see the three little kids playing on the metal climbing dome. Patrick and Marissa are standing close to the top of it, holding on and leaning against the bars just in case. Fiona is clearly more daring, sitting at the very top with her feet dangling and her hands held up to show her friends that she isn't even holding on.

"Your kids seem to be quite adventurous," Austin says to Cristy and Benjamin.

"Tell me about it, I can barely keep up with either one of them and I'm a personal trainer," Benjamin says with a slight chuckle.

"I'm the one who has to keep up with most of the time, you little wimp," Cristy remarks, playfully teasing her husband.

"That's also true. Are you sure you don't have superpowers?" Benjamin jokes.

"I don't need superpowers because I am just naturally amazing," Cristy says with a smirk that grows into a beaming smile. 

This little interaction has all of the adults laughing until they hear Patrick yell, "Fiona, don't do that! You could fall and get hurt!"

Their attention turns back to the three children playing on the climbing dome, only this time Patrick and Marissa are sitting on the ground inside of it. Fiona is also in a different spot, hanging upside down from the top of the dome, looking over at her two friends. Marissa seems a bit uneasy about her friend's position, and Fiona remains perfectly at ease while Patrick seems to be panicking enough for all three of them.

"Patrick is not the adventurous type at all, but he is very sweet and caring," Rachel explains.

Fiona gives in to Patrick's pleas and pulls herself back into an upright position sitting at the very top. Of course, she causes Patrick to panic once again because she carefully stands up so that she is balanced at the highest point of the metal frame.

"I should probably go get Fiona before she decides to jump off the top," Benjamin says, going over to the climbing dome. He manages to slip through the bars into the dome and has Fiona sit back down on the top like before while he stands right below her. She carefully sits back down and lets herself drop down into the open arms of her father who catches her and sets her back on her feet.

He slips back through the bars and walks back to the group of parents. Upon looking at the time the parents collectively agree that they should probably head home for dinner. They all gather their children, who have a race to see who can reach their parents first, which Fiona wins. The three little kids give each other hugs when they say goodbye before each family heads their separate ways home. 

At home Austin and Alan decide to just order pizza for dinner because neither of them can think of something that they can or want to make. It is a pretty relaxed night, just watching movies, all of them tired from their day at the park. Austin takes Marissa to bed early because she falls asleep on the couch and they don't want to wake her. After another movie Alan falls asleep on the couch as well, but Austin wakes him up and guides him to bed because he is too tired to carry Alan to bed without dropping him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like this because I get to introduce all of these new characters. Let me know what you guys think. I love you all